Start by marking “Beyond: the Queer Sci-Fi & Fantasy Comic Anthology” as Want to Read:
Beyond: the Queer Sci-Fi & Fantasy Comic Anthology

Beyond: the Queer Sci-Fi & Fantasy Comic Anthology

(Beyond: Queer Anthology Series)

Beyond is an anthology of queer sci-fi and fantasy comics. Featuring 18 stories by 26 contributors, Beyond is a 250+ page, black and white, queer comic anthology, full of swashbuckling space pirates, dragon slayers, death-defying astronauts, and monster royalty. Each story celebrates and showcases unquestionably queer characters as they explore the galaxy, mix magic, have ...more
Published September 2015 by Beyond Press

To ask other readers questions about Beyond, please sign up.
Taneka Stotts The reprint is available now. We Kickstarted the reprint successfully in 2017 and books are available now. Feel free to check out our website …moreThe reprint is available now. We Kickstarted the reprint successfully in 2017 and books are available now. Feel free to check out our website www.Beyond-Press.com :)(less)

Naz (Read Diverse Books)
May 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
For the full review, visit my blog: Read Diverse Books

This anthology is one of the most important works of Queer literature I have read in a while. Granted, I haven’t read the vast majority of Queer literature, but Beyond is personal and special. This is the kind of book I wish I had read when I was a teenager, or even younger, because it would have shown me perspectives and ways to live a life authentically that I considered unimaginable.

Many of the stories in this anthology are sad and seriou
Jessica
I backed Beyond on Kickstarter because I loved the idea of increasing visibility and representation of queer individuals and relationships in comics, and I knew I'd be introduced to a lot of new artists through the book.

The quality of the illustrations is high, and the cover is really gorgeous. I'm glad I backed this for the physical object and not just the digital version, because the book looks fantastic.

Unfortunately, the stories are mostly not very strong. A lot of them drop you into the mi
CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian
I was super pumped about this book, which unfortunately let me down somewhat. The cover is fucking gorgeous, though; that didn't disappoint me. I guess that's the thing with all anthologies--it's hard for them not to be hit or miss. There are a few Canadian authors in here (one with Indigenous / two-spirit content, although the authors' bios don't identify themselves as Indigenous so I don't know if it's #ownvoices or not) but none of the Cdns were my favourites. There is substantial POC content ...more
Lindsay
I love the concept. I love that by buying a copy this past week, my money went to Trans Lifeline. I want LGBTQ+ characters and issues to have more and better representation in comics. I think this comic is a fantastic step in that direction.

But I did not love it. I found the quality of the stories themselves extremely hit-or-miss. There were a few gems, but there were enough that I just felt like I was scrolling through. I am also looking cautiously at the quasi-Native comic "Twin Souled" that s
Shira Glassman
This wasn't really a good fit for me since a lot of the storylines ended tragically (Note: not tragic because of homo/bi/transphobia tho) even if they were really good and some of the other ones were too "hard sci-fi" or otherwise worldbuilding-confusing for me to really plug into them. I guess I had expected it to be more like Dates! An Anthology of Queer Historical Fiction, which had a hard rule about no tragic tropes, which was my mistake.

That being said, I did really appreciate the wonderful
Stewart Tame
Reviewing anthologies is always tough. The quality varies from story to story, to the point where rating the book as a whole seems hopeless. “Well this one story was amazing, easily worth the price of the entire book. Too bad the rest of them were so awful.” Trying to review each story separately tends to make the review way too long, but only mentioning a few tends to make it look as though you didn't like any of the others.

So, for the record: I quite liked all of these stories. I’m going to me
Jaylee
Nov 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: queer-lit, reviews
Most of the pieces in this book fall pretty flat as far as stories go. There are some gems, but overall the narratives just don't work - it's confusing to decypher what's going on, there's far too much technical lingo, etc. The art ranges from lovely to weird, and the cover art is exceptionally beautiful.

My biggest complaint by far, however, is the number of dead/tragic LGBT characters there were in this anthology. 5 stories out of 18 contained LGBT character deaths, and most of them were queer
Skimmed the last few stories in this anthology. Too many dead queers indeed. I liked two stories, maybe, and both were by artists whose webcomics I've enjoyed (Blue Delliquati and Kori Michaels). The concept of a queer SFF comic anthology is great, but too many sad stories and people dying, which is still the same thing straight media likes to do, and that's not what I'm looking for in my queer media.
Lindsay
Swashbuckling space pirates, legendary dragon slayers, death-defying astronauts, and monster queen royalty. All this (and more!) in Beyond, the queer sci-fi and fantasy comic anthology. Featuring 18 stories by 26 incredible contributors, the Beyond anthology celebrates unquestionably queer characters hailing from across the spectrum of gender and sexuality, from and centre as the heroes of their own stories; exploring the galaxy, mixing magic, having renegade adventures, and saving the day!

Beyon
Rivqa
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a gorgeous comic anthology with some real gems, especially considering how short the stories are.

I was a little unsure about the Two-Spirit story, as neither writer nor illustrator identified as Native in their bios.
Hannah
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone!
Shelves: gn, recommend
Absolutely phenomenal. I loved every story. I got Beyond on sale for $5 with the proceeds donated to Trans Lifeline, but I would honestly buy it again for a much larger sum. This anthology was exactly what I needed at this point in my life, and I'll bet it will resonate with a lot of you, as well.
Anna
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
this was great!! a few of the stories i struggled to understand because they just kinda... dropped u in the middle... but most of them were beautiful and super affirming and fun and exciting and new!! <3
Meghan Dawson
Feb 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
While not every story in this book was interesting to me, there was a lot of diversity to the stories. I found something to like in each of the comics.
Avery Delany
Beyond: the Queer SFF Comic Anthology is a cute, kickstarted collection of 18 stories by 26 contributors which center the diversity of queer people across different ages, genders, sexualities, races, species, body types, and family units as they swashbuckle, explore the galaxy, make new friends, and love in all its multifaceted glory. The anthology also comes with a really nice little foreward written by editor Sfe R. Monster who explains how Beyond came about and the importance of having a quee ...more
Becky
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
This collection made less of an impact for me than I expected, although I did flat out cry reading the first story. I’m not sure that these stories were objectively less exciting than those in the Oath anthology, but I think I’ve definitely been exposed to more (very well done) queer sff stories than queer superhero stories, so maybe that is why I was personally more excited by the superhero anthology. The stories were also decidedly less fluffy, and while the characters’ sexuality or gender was ...more
Brian
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable collection of stories.

Some of the selection was underwhelming, however, whether through lack of narrative development or poor art style. However, I enjoyed the majority of the collection.
Lynn DiFerdinando
I backed this on Kickstarter, but only just got around to reading the PDF when I moved my files to my new computer. So many sweet, cute stories, and wonderfully drawn. My personal favorites were O-Type Hypergiant and Eat at Chelle's, and the ending story The Next Day was cute too. The stories that really gave off a feeling of enduring, growing love, and also had very nice worldbuilding, which is always a plus.
Ryan
Jun 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Rating anthologies is difficult. There are some definite 5-star stories in here, some of which I would absolutely pay to see expanded into full series of their own. Others were...so-so.
Emily
This anthology includes a wealth of different art and story styles, all of them featuring queer characters. All of my ratings for the individual comics together averages out to about 3 stars, which is pretty accurate to how I felt about the anthology as a whole. Many of the stories felt too short, without enough context to really immerse myself in the characters or the world. I will say that I am SO GLAD this anthology exists at all, and it was great to see a variety of queer representation here ...more
Meepelous
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Creative, poignant, imaginative and artistically talented are a mere handful of the words that come to mind after finishing this collection. While I don't think this book is for absolutely everyone, I do think that anyone who has any familiarity with science fiction and fantasy and is hungry for new kinds of stories will enjoy at least one of the stories in here if not many many more.

The only criticism I can think of really is that they did cover such a wide variety of stories means that there
Khailan
I was part of the kickstarter for this book and I couldn't be more excited that it came to be! It's full of wonderful stories with beautiful illustrations, and one of my most loved books! Rich characters and worlds - I only wish the stories could be continued! Even so, they live on in your mind. I love the representation, and all the writers and artists are downright amazing! Sfe and Taneka are just incredible for bringing it all together and making it a reality.
Charles
Stuff I Read – Beyond: the Queer Sci-Fi & Fantasy Comic Anthology Review
How do I even begin to talk about how amazing this anthology is? I backed it on Kickstarter because, well, because there aren't enough comics by and for queer people. Or at least not enough that aren't entirely about being queer. Not that those are bad but sometimes I just want fun space stories full of queer characters. IS THAT SO WRONG?! Or fantasy stories that don't pretend that queer people were invented in the 1960s
Monique
Dec 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Beyond is beautifully bound with a lovely cover created by Levi Hastings and interior art by Evan Dahm. The book looks fantastic.

Being an anthology with a lot of unfamiliar creators, Beyond was (as anthology usually are) a mixed bag. A bit too many of the stories felt weird for weirdness sake. Too often I felt I had entered into the story, midway. A few were a bit too rushed, or felt as though they lacked a believable world. They seemed amateurish.

That doesn't mean that I found none of them en
Vanellope
Good stuff! There were some that I liked more than others. A couple of them were a bit confusing, 'cause there wasn't much building up to what was going on, but I guess its hard to explain everything in short stories, especially in graphic form. But some were super cute and heartwarming (or heartbreaking) and creative, and totally worth it. It also did some things I'd never seen before (like a poly character and xe pronouns) which doesnt happen very often, and I appreciate it.
Skye Kilaen
Two words for this anthology: Overwhelmingly excellent. I keep trying to flip through it so I can include some details, but I get sucked in and start re-reading it. With 20 stories and 270+ pages, that's a lot of good stuff here. Two dads save their daughter from goblins. The heir to the throne tricks a pirate into having "just a little chat." In a side story from O Human Star, an android envisioned as male gets help from her creator to transition to a new female body. (Realistic hair is tough!) ...more
Kendra
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am so glad I Kickstarted this masterpiece of art, sci fi, diversity, and story telling! I'm not really used to any anthologies outside of the Flight series, so this was a fantastic surprise. Of the dozens of stories (all of which created entire worlds, characters, and plots in just a few frames!!), I can honestly say only one or two did not resonate with me. Many made me smile, all of them made me think, and more than one brought me to tears. This will be one to reread constantly and get more ...more
Marie Viala
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I really loved this anthology, though it was frustrating at times : the short stories that this format includes sometimes let us catch glimpses of universes that would have deserved more development than just a few pages, therefore making it a bit confusing at times.... Or purely frustrating as I wished I had seen more of it. But it was overall very great anyway!
Bhavya
Dec 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book! There were some serious comics and some less serious ones. It seems like there's just about at least one comic in the book that someone would enjoy. There were some straightforward ones and some more abstract ones. I do wish it was in color but it was still just as enjoyable as a colored comic.
Rachel
Nov 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Because of the unusual format of an anthology, the stories are very short, which makes for some interesting limitations. They tend to be more vignette-like than have full plots. A beautiful book full of new and interesting twists on old tropes.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Elements: Fire
  • Power & Magic: The Queer Witch Comics Anthology (Power & Magic: Queer Witch Comic Anthology, #1)
  • The Other Side: An Anthology of Queer Paranormal Romance
  • O Human Star, Volume One
  • Chainmail Bikini: The Anthology of Women Gamers
  • Smut Peddler: 2014 Edition
  • No Straight Lines: Four Decades of Queer Comics
  • Bending The Landscape: Science Fiction
  • Transcendent: The Year's Best Transgender Speculative Fiction
  • Love Beyond Body, Space, and Time
  • Dates! An Anthology of Queer Historical Fiction Stories (Dates! An Anthology of Queer Historical Fiction Stories, #1)
  • Beyond Binary: Genderqueer and Sexually Fluid Speculative Fiction
  • Valor (Valor, #1)
  • The Legend of Bold Riley
  • An Anthology of Fiction by Trans Women of Color
  • The Less Than Epic Adventures of TJ and Amal: Omnibus
  • Taproot
  • Massive: Gay Erotic Manga and the Men Who Make It

Beyond: Queer Anthology Series (2 books)
  • Beyond II: The Queer Post-Apocalyptic & Urban Fantasy Comic Anthology (Beyond: The Queer Comic Anthology, #2)