Start by marking “Banished Love (Banished Saga, Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Banished Love (Banished Saga, Book 1)

Banished Love

(Banished Saga #1)

Free-Spirited…

Clarissa Sullivan dreams for more from life than sipping tepid tea in stifling parlors in Victorian Boston. She defies her family’s wishes, continuing to teach poor immigrant children in Boston’s West End, finding a much-needed purpose to her life.

Radical…

As a suffragette, Clarissa is considered a firebrand radical no man would desire. For why should women wa
Paperback, 1st, 290 pages
Published January 9th 2014 by Grizzly Damsel Publishing (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Banished Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Banished Love

Ruth Hill
Mar 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am quite pleased to recommend to my readers another clean, historical romance that is incredibly well-written and quite entertaining to read. This book is completely appropriate for every reading level (a few minor profanity instances, but hardly worth mentioning and no bedroom scenes implied or detailed). I fell in love with the bungling, maladjusted Clarissa, and who could not love Gabriel? They are the perfect couple, and I found myself thoroughly enjoying the romance and the hardships alon ...more
Jola
Jun 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Review also on www.jolasbookshelf.wordpress.com

"Banished Love' is a pretty good historical romance written by Ramona Flightner. I found the story very charming, a perfect novel to help you relax after a long day. The main character, Clarissa, is extremely likable and I loved reading about her adventures. I also loved her chemistry with Gabriel. I'll be anticipating book 2, especially after ending like this one!

Thanks to Ramona Flightner for sending me an ebook in exchange for an honest review!
Tara
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
For anyone who has a fondness for historical romance, this is a must read.

To write a historical romance story in this day and age has to take a lot of time and a huge amount of love for the story. The way Ms. Flightner depicts Boston in the early 1900’s was fascinating. The descriptions were amazing, almost as if I were watching a movie. The vivid details were marvelous and the characters were extremely easy to associate with.

Clarissa is our female main character. We get to follow her as she s
Leslie
If you love Jane Austen novels, this is the perfect companion to any of her amazing books.

1900s Boston was a deliciously decadent era and Ms. flightner captured it marvelously! The courteous and respectful way in which people spoke to one another is totally dimenished from our modern way of life, but it's oh so nice to go back in time and be delightfully reminded.

Clarissa and Gabriel are mismatched - her being from social opulence and him living the working class life as a cabinet maker. Their
[̲̅ρ̲̅υ̲̅и̲̅y̲̅α̲̅]
Kirsty Cochrane
Jul 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks
I thoroughly enjoyed this historical romance book. Written true to the era, this book focussed on Clarissa's life and developing love in an era of sufferance and inequality between men and woman. Clarissa fights for her beliefs while struggling internally with her own feelings. This book is written and narrated well. Definitely worth checking out.

I received a copy of this as an audiobook in exchange for a honest review.
Bree Verity
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
I hate to give such a low rating, but for the second time I have tried to read this story, and for the second time I was pulled out of the story by the number of times the people say things they wouldn't - for example, "I hope Aunt Betsy will exert a calming influence over her sister, Aunt Matilda." Sister, OR Aunt Matilda, not both.
This may be a really good book, but it needs some serious editing.
Charlie
Mar 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The year is 1900; the place is Boston, where high society still has a lasting impact on gossip and reputations. Clarissa is a young woman who caused quite a stir a few years prior to the novel starting, through no fault of her own whatsoever, but ugly gossip and remarks have made Clarissa out to be the one at fault, along with her continued insistence that she teach school in a poorer area of town.

Clarissa is also very clumsy, and known for it. She accidentally knocks a man from a ladder coming
Marilyn
Jun 25, 2019 rated it liked it
This is Book 1 of an easy reading historical romance. The characters are well developed, looking forward to seeing how Clarrisa can continue her hopes and dreams with the help of her suffragette friends.
Grace
Why Do So Many People Like This Book?!

This book makes me so angry I don't even know where to begin. The main character seems to have potential but then ultimately makes such poor decisions that I can do nothing but despise her. It's like the author shows her learning and thinking things through but she doesn't consider extremely obvious solutions. It's painfully frustrating. I thought the author wanted her to have a big Eureka moment at the end of the book, and she would finally see what's right
Kayla West
Apr 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Clarissa Sullivan has spent the past two years of her trying to forget an incident in her past. But with relatives who seem to blame her for what happened, it is definitely hard to just lock the horrid memory away. When she meets cabinetmaker Gabriel McLeod, however, it seems that maybe her dark cloud of a life has finally revealed its silver lining.

Immediately, or maybe a little after that, they hit things off, and they are both amazed by the love that is starting to unfurl between them. The on
Maggie Thom
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I picked up this book because it was talking about the suffragettes, which I am intensely interested in. Ms. Flightner did an excellent job not only of crafting believable likeable and some dislikeable characters but I think very much grabbed the essence and attitude of the times. I seriously would not have survived back then. Women had no rights and some were so scared of rocking the boat as it might mean they were ostracized and left out in the cold… literally. Women really had to compete agai ...more
Amanda
Feb 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Banished Love is a refreshing change to the routine customary historical romances we have come to see. Banished Love is set in Victorian Boston and features a free-spirited, determined, radical young woman, Clarissa, and her struggle to follow her heart despite her families wishes. This is a lovely historical romance dealing with such topics as the women's suffrage movement, class distinctions, conventions and prejudices of society as well as the strict family expectations young women dealt with ...more
Anne
Feb 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Not your everyday romance, this book left me wanting to hear more of the story and wanting to know more about Boston history. What was it like to come of age as an ordinary person with big dreams in the calm between the civil war and WWI? I'll be thinking of Clarissa next time I walk through the now-posh West or South Ends. A fine debut novel from a writer I've long admired. I can't wait to find out what happens to the hero and heroine, but I also hope we learn more about the stories behind the ...more
Randa
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A story that draws you in

Our heroine, Clarissa, is a young woman (early 20's) in 1900 Boston. She's forward thinking, clumsy, & upper middle class. Clarissa & her cousin Savannah are nigh inseparable, until their well-to-do grandparents set Savannah up for an advantageous marriage that begins to change the women's relationship well before the nuptials.

Through Plot, we meet Gabriel McLeod, a master cabinetmaker/joiner. An interesting fellow with equally forward ideas, Clarissa finds she
Becky
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Set in Boston 1900, Clarissa Sullivan is a very independent, headstrong woman for her times and doesn't want to end up marrying just to sip tea, gossip and sit at the arm of her husband. She wants love, family and to continue teaching. She was stood up at the altar 2 years before and just wants to move on with her life. Clarissa literally bumps into Gabriel McLeod, a carpenter who is building her uncles display in his store, bringing him down off the ladder with her on top of him. Clarissa and G ...more
Zena
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This is a beautiful story. The only thing I really have a problem with is that is is written in serial form. In other words, this book ends with a cliff-hanger.
Besides this, it is well written and held my attention throughout. This is the type of book that while reading it any intrusions or anyone disturbing me could easily have ended up feeling quite sorry for themselves (I'm joking; I'm not really that violent, but you get the idea).
The main characters and their family members are nicely
Kathleen Ruggio
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slow Start

I like this book but it took quite awhile for me to get into it. As I did finally sink my teeth into it I found deep family values and brothers who love their sister beyond measure.
"Rissa" is a young woman who is interested in the sufferage movement and makes friends with like minded women. Since just a couple of years previous she was left at the alter by Cameron who comes back into her life when she least expects it and her experience with him influences her next relationship. Gabri
Ann-Maree Howarth
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy of the book and have voluntarily written an honest review.
All I can say is thank god I was not born a century earlier than I was, as I would not have been as subservient as the women of this time. Set in 1900 in Boston at the turn of the new century this story about a young girl who will have you thinking how easy we take for granted the choices and lifestyle we have today. Gossip was a very big issue of the time and where your reputations could be totally affected by the
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a very well written book with well developed characters. Clarissa Sullivan is a free-thinking young woman living in her step-mother's and Dad's home. She is a teacher and loves the Suffragette thinkings, but is denied their ways. After being left at the alter and left to deal with life in high soceity and the gossip that goes with it, she's ready for life to change.

A run-in with Gabe, a carpenter, life does change and challenges ensue.

I loved this book. I couldn't and didn't want to put
Melissa
Nov 26, 2016 rated it liked it
I knew this would be a first in a series and I knew it would end on a cliff hanger. This is a different book then I normally read. The turn of the century was such an uncertain time in history and I like reading about history. This gives you a little of the feel of an American city at the time of the Suffragettes and the divisions of the classes both rich and emigrant. It was such a crazy time and this book does a good job of giving you a taste. I enjoyed the book and the characters and I wish i ...more
Timothy Hendricks
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a very good book and I enjoyed it immensely. The only thing that I don't like about it is it is an unfinished book with a cliff hanger. I did get the next book so that I can see how it ends. It gives me a better idea how the day to day life for women was at that time. However despite the lack of rights that women faced it is surprising how much influence and weight there decisions and actions made and the influence they could muster for good or ill.

This author is a very good writer. Her
Shea
Aug 13, 2019 rated it liked it
While I enjoy the characters of Clarissa, Gabe and their siblings and also the historical events surrounding their lives, the writing is only so-so. There is a lot of repetition in describing the color of people's hair, Gabe's voice, etc. I appreciate descriptions but I only need to read what the wallpaper in the parlor looks like once. If it has been mentioned repeatedly it becomes a distraction and an annoyance. I am invested in the characters enough to read the next book but I have a feeling ...more
Shelley
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
It took a bit to get into but then I couldn't put it down. I felt so sorry for Gabriel and all that his aunt did to him. I can understand why he left but poor Clarissa being left behind not knowing what was happening with him. If he will forget her or not. I cried at the end of this story and I hate cliffhangers.
Liza
I seem to be in the minority, but I found this book so insipid and boring that I ended up not even caring what happened to the characters. I finished it yesterday and already I can't remember what happened.

ETA: Oh wait, yes, I do. It was a "cliffhanger."
Jill
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
Not my kind of ending.
Tonya
Jul 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Romance

Slow paced. Not a quick beach read as previously thought. Didn't care much for the first person point of view.
Sandra
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-book
I loved this nice, clean historical romance. I had a big painting project so I got the audible book, which I often do. I truly enjoyed the reading of Banished Love. One of the best ones I have listened to. The story itself was great. I have already checked out Amazon to purchase the next one.
Samantha
Jun 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Christmas Bride (The Burnett Brides, #4)
  • Obsession Wears Opals (Jaded Gentleman, #5)
  • Charming the Duke
  • Some Like It in Handcuffs
  • What Tangled Webs
  • The Fate Of A Marlowe Girl (Marlowe Girls, #1)
  • The Wanting Heart
  • Covering Home
  • Angel's Assassin
  • Playing the Maestro
  • Tarte Tatin Murder (Seagrass Sweets Mystery #2)
  • The Dreamer
  • The Better Man (Chicago Sisters, #1)
  • The Unlikely Gift of Treasure Blume
  • The Forgotten Women Heroes: Second World War Untold Stories - The Women Heroes in the Extraordinary World War Two
  • Holly Hearts Hollywood
  • Prelude to Heaven
  • The Shadow Princess
Ramona Flightner, a historical romance novelist, is an avid reader, writer, and traveler. By day, she practices the healing arts as a nurse practitioner. Every other moment, she's researching and writing the next novel in her Banished Saga and Bear Grass Springs series.

Ramona is from Montana. Her favorite pastimes are fly fishing the cool, clear streams of a Montana river, hiking in the mountains,

Banished Saga (10 books)
  • Reclaimed Love (Banished Saga, Book 2)
  • Undaunted Love- Complete Novel (Banished Saga, Book Three)
  • Undaunted Love (PART ONE) (Banished Saga, Book 3)
  • Undaunted Love (PART TWO) (Banished Saga, Book 3.5)
  • Tenacious Love (Banished Saga, Book Four)
  • Unrelenting Love: Banished Saga, Book Five
  • Escape To Love (Banished Saga, Book 6)
  • Resilient Love: Banished Saga, Book 7
  • Abiding Love (Banished Saga, Book Eight)
“We all have pasts that haunt us, Mr. McLeod.” 1 likes
“I’d like to meet a woman who can think for herself and doesn’t want only what her father or husband wants.” 1 likes