Start by marking “Released from the Darkness (Concealed in the Shadows, #2)” as Want to Read:
Released from the Darkness (Concealed in the Shadows, #2)

Released from the Darkness

(Concealed in the Shadows #2)

Two young seeksmen are dead, and Sydney blames herself. The only way to get her sister back from the county's clutches, while also preventing more death, was to offer her own life in exchange for Evvie's freedom.

She expected a dreadful end, but nothing like the prison in which she wakes. Agonizing county life is redefined in Neo-Necropolis, new city of the dead, which lies
Paperback
Published February 28th 2014 by Clean Teen Publishing (first published February 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Released from the Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Released from the Darkness

Emmy
After a great civil war that nearly destroyed society, everything is highly regulated and monitored to ensure everyone's safety- or so the government wants you to believe.

This, the second book in the series picks up right where the previous one left off (definitely read Concealed in the Shadows first).

After Sydney exchanges her life and freedom for her sister, she finds herself in an unground secret facility intended for those who are trying to fight for freedoms, or even those who accidentally
Radeyah H.  Ali
Mar 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Riveting. Dangerous. Emotional.

The second book in the series, Released from the Darkness, shows the author's talent and skill in penning a great story.

The novel continues the series in a dark underground society which makes you almost forget the perils of the society above. In this new dynamic, Sydney Harter is thrown into a situation which she could have never believed existed. She is reduced to a mere inmate and had to do things methodically with no hope of ever seeing the sun or her family
B at Spare Time Book Blog
Apr 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
See more reviews on my blog! http://sparetimebookblog.blogspot.com/

Sydney has been through a lot. She has basically given up her life and freedom to take her sisters place. Neo-Necropolis is a prison that you never get to leave. People who are there no longer exist to the outside world. Sydney is doing her best to learn how to live here. She has been beaten down and is now afraid and alone. She slowly finds friends in this new environment. People who have a plan. A plan to escape. This is no eas
Sarah Brillinger
Aug 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
I definitely suggest you read book # 1 first, Concealed in the Shadows, or you may be a bit confused.

The story picks up right where it left off, Sydney has been carted away to an underground jail that the people of the county are completely unaware of. All the residents there have been proclaimed dead.
I felt claustrophobic reading this as Gabrielle Arrowsmith is able to portray the prison so clearly and how the residents are feeling with such intensity that you just want them to get some air!
Kristy Hamilton
Jul 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When I first read Concealed in the Shadows I was amazed by the love between the sisters Evvie and Sydney. Sydney and Evvie have been through a lot with the death of both their parents and then the planned death of their grandmother. They were split up and put into foster homes. Sydney works for everything to get her sister with her when she turns 18.
In Released from the Darkness Sydney takes the place of her sister from being kidnapped. She is free from the chips and tablets of her town but for
CrazyBookworm99
Jan 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ctp-books, beta-read
*I was given a copy by the author in exchange for an honest review*

An amazing sequel to the first book. I couldn't read fast enough :)

It starts straight where we left off and is even more emotional, fast-paced and full of twists. The characters have more to lose now than ever... and more to fight for.

I have always loved Sydney's determination, spirit and loyalty for those she cares about, especially her sister. I have always admired Crewe's head-strong personality and Evvie's caring, understan
Heather
Feb 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough for the opportunity to beta-read an ARC of Released from the Darkness. I absolutely LOVED it! It is a great storyline that goes through the next trials and adventures of Sydney Harter's life. It picks up without little gap from the ending of Concealed in the Shadows. I loved the adventure and excitement of this book. There are some great plot twists and something is revealed that I did not see coming. It's a wonderful next segment in the series and I hope everyone else enjoys ...more
Irayda Moran (Quezada)
Jan 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What an amazing read..

Where do I start..
Sydney is strong,courages and determined. All she wants is to be with her sister Evvie and keep her safe. Life has never been easy but Sydney will do everything in her power to do it. Releasd From the Shawdows reveals hidden secrets, twist and turns that left me glued to the pages.
Gabrielle introduced us to a few new chacters that simply add to this great story.

Its a great read, believable and lots of likable characters like our old friend Crewe, ne
Mike Kalmbach
This book launched from where the last one left off. Wonderful, fast-paced. Really enjoyed this read!

The only thing that's missing is that I'd like to see a little more development between Sydney and her sister, but this book overall was much stronger than the first (and the first was pretty good).

Definitely recommend for fans of dystopian novels!

Note: this would probably not stand well on its own. Definitely read the first book first.
Mary Quire
Nov 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Released From Darkness is an action packed read I couldn't help but love. The main character, Sydney, is a strong lead. Her devotion to her sister is so true it's almost heartbreaking. There's so much more I'd to touch on about the story and characters, but to do that would give away surprises (both good and bad) which make this book what it is, a powerful tale of the fight for freedom. Kudos to Gabrielle Arrowsmith. You kept me on the edge of my seat through the whole book.
Michele Skinner
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing squeal to Concealed in Shadows. All I can say is wow. It starts right from where the first book ended and continued to get better! I don't know if I could go through all of the stuff those people are going through, it is just plain crazy. Loved the book and can't wait for the next one!
Heather Piantanida-pipes
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book keeps you hook from the very beginning. It starts where one leaves off smoothly. the authors style makes it so you feel like you know the characters. I found myself feeling the emotions along with them.. This book also leaves off right in the middle of a major event. I can't wait for number three.

I was given a copy of this book for a honest review.
Sandy Grissett
Mar 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Action from the beginning

I wasn't sure about reading the second book but once I started I was glad I did. It began with allot of action and new people that were easy to get to know that was in this prison with her. I loved the escape yet there was danger all around and even when you think you may have your freedom, do you really?
Michelle Kendall
May 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Again a fantastic read from Gabrielle Arrowsmith. The second chapter into this series is just as good as the first. Cannot wait for the next book!!
Michelle
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This second book is just as good as the first. You want to know more and the excitement and suspense is everywhere on every page. A for sure must read.
Katherine
Sep 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Another great one in the series. I really enjoy this book and can't wait to read the next!!
Nikki
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An Interesting Second Book.

In this second book, it picks up where the first left off. Within the first 30% of the book there is a surefire twist, or so you think. There is plenty of action, and a possible budding romance. Thankfully the romance is very low key, and not a part of the main story.

We meet several new characters in Neocropolis, which is where the first part of the book takes place. Again these characters are well done, and their place in the story fits well. The rest of the book is s
Patricia
Apr 02, 2014 rated it liked it
I like the series and have found it interesting and exciting. My one real problem is with the main character, Sydney. She's supposed to be strong, independent, and very mature for her age and for the most part she does exude this qualities. However, when things are going to heck around her and her companions, she tends to have temper tantrums about the dumbest things. It got a bit annoying in this (the 2nd) book. That being said, I still recommend it to lovers of dystopian fiction with it's very ...more
Justine
May 22, 2014 rated it liked it
I received this book free from the author in exchange for an honest review.
This is a hard review for me to write because I loved Concealed in the Shadows but I just couldn't get into this one. It's written well with a lot of great descriptions, there are twists and action but I just couldn't connect. I just found there was so going on and so many characters that I was lost sometimes.
Louise Benham
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Defining Battle

As a rag tag town of survivors recover from a merciless governmental attack, the unquenchable thirst for freedom from tyranny propels them forward in spite of seemingly insurmountable odds.
Kitty Prince
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Didn't let me down this book was as good as the first can't wait to read the next book.
Cynthia Lee
Apr 11, 2015
Molly
May 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Gabrielle Arrowsmith grew up in the small town of Ham Lake, MN enjoying school, soccer, reading, playing piano, and endless adventures with her brother and cousins. As a young child, Gabrielle’s desire to write led her to fill many diaries and notebooks with her thoughts, poems, stories, and scripts.

Gabrielle recalls first believing in the worth of her writing in high school, where her advanced la

Concealed in the Shadows (3 books)
  • Concealed in the Shadows (Concealed in the Shadows, #1)
  • Reduced to Dust (Concealed in the Shadows, #3)