Start by marking “Moonlight” as Want to Read:
Moonlight

Read Book

Moonlight

(Crowns of the Twelve)

One vow. One curse. One thousand moons.

While Princess Aowyn's six brothers are favored by their father, Aowyn is the jewel in her mother's crown. When the Queen dies, Aowyn takes a vow to protect her brothers and father from the hungry eyes of the queen's handmaiden, Ciatlllait - who is more than she seems.

In order to save her family, Aowyn risks a dangerous deal with the
Kindle Edition, 1, 153 pages
Published March 3rd 2014 by Afterglow Productions

To ask other readers questions about Moonlight, please sign up.

Start your review of Moonlight
Dianne
Click to Enter to win YOUR choice of eBooks by Ann Hunter Ends April 9, 2014

Love, determination, strength of character, loss, loyalty and sacrifice, they’re all there in this amazing fantasy novella! Moonlight by Ann Hunter is filled with Celtic mythology, and a strong young heroine who will win your heart within the first few pages. The lone daughter of the king, her brothers are far more valuable to him, especially after the death of her mother when she vowed to always protect her siblings
Aj Sterkel
Mar 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
This fairytale examines love from every angle. The characters all love someone or something, and that love makes them selfless, brave, and patient. It also makes them cruel, hateful, jealous, and power-hungry. It terrifies them. It makes them behave foolishly. It saves them. It destroys them. It makes curses and breaks curses. It's the most powerful force in the world.

Moonlight is the prequel to The Subtle Beauty, but it is a stand-alone novella, so you don't have to read The Subtle Beauty to
Annemarie
Apr 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-english
I don't know why, but as a child, I never liked the swan princess film, even though everyone else seem to love it. Years later, reading this book, I realize that although I might not have loved the film, I do really enjoy this story.
Claudia
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love fairy tale retellings!
Logan
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
J.A. Ironside
May 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Review copy given in exchange for an honest review.

This is a rather lovely retelling of a mash up
Of several Celtic legends - six wild swans and the four fair children of Lir among them. If you haven't read The Subtle Beauty yet then read this one first. Although both books do stand alone I think you get a better perspective of Xander's character from reading this one first.

Aowyn is a great character - fey, wise and tempestuous. Definitely an interesting mix! Sylas Mortis also makes a larger
Amy Freese
Jul 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am SO glad I read this story!! Ann Hunter has done a wonderful job putting new twists on classic fairy tales. I read her book, The Subtle Beauty, and found it to be a sweet, moving tale. What she has done with Moonlight is even better! I absolutely adore and believe in Princess Aowyn. She became completely real for me. I felt her sorrow and cheered her joy. As her family becomes cursed, I was angered with her. The villains in this tale are very easy to dislike despite that there is an air of ...more
Janice Smith-gentry
Oct 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A new take on an old story.

This is the second book in the series. I believe that this is better than the first. Ann Hunter is a wonderful writer who brings the story to life. I love reading a book when the characters are something you can connect with. This book is one of the best fairytales I have read in a long time. Great job, Ann. Please keep writing. You are quickly becoming one of my favorites.
Kathryn Hughey
Aug 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
LOVED it! I love fairytales though, and I especially love when people put a good spin on one! Admittedly, I have never heard of this specific fairytale, but I enjoyed it regardless. It read like a fairytale, and was full of magic, and evil and good, and love. *sigh* What's NOT to love?!?!?!
Steffi
Nov 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book more than I thought I would. Ann Hunter did a great job of mixing fantasy, great characters, fairytale and mythology. After a few pages you'll fall in love with the protagonist and a few pages later you'll be sucked into this amazing world. Everyone should read this.
Shelley
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this store though parts of it is very sad and some heart breaking. She lost two brothers because she broke her silence and then two more when they came to her rescue. She finds her love and saves her kingdom as well as her father, But at a great price.
Olivia Calcagno
idk it wont let me read it and there is now way i can buy it i dont eve have a dang card
Morgan Blomstedt
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fun short read. Great retelling of the Swan Princess.
Barb VanderWel
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this & I can't wait for more.
I will be also leaving a review on Goodreads @ Amazon.
And letting everyone know about it.
So i gave it a 5 Stars.
Prabh⚔
Feb 26, 2017 rated it liked it
*3.5* stars!
This was such a beautiful story. it almost read like a fairy tale! The thing is- it was really short, so yesss one more book ahead in my reading challenge XD Many of the plot points were not really explained or did well, and if that had happened it would be a five star to be sure :) Also I didn't like the romance since it kind of felt like INSTA LOVE UGHHHH.
Dina
Apr 27, 2016 rated it liked it
I was not financially compensated for this post. I received a copy of the book for review purposes. The opinions are completely my own based on my experience.

Moonlight is full of fun and adventure and peppered with action. While I found the book an entertaining read I was left yet again longing for more character development. Hunter's characters continue to be hollow shells begging to be further developed. This certainly attributes to the length of her novellas. While the characters have
Jackie
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was definitely NOT like the cartoon movie my daughter watched in the 90's. This princess did not turn into a swan, but her 6 brothers did, seemed kind of odd referring to her as the swan princess. I don't know for sure, but I think this was meant as a Y/A book, though I don't think it would be good for the younger ages of Y/A.

The whole story was just too sad, between the deaths of her Mother & of 4 of the 6 brothers, the strange romance, the emotional abuse on Xander by his father
Rachael
Dec 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Review Posted at Rachael Turns Pages

* I recieved Moonlight from the author in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and feelings are my own and I was in no way compensated for this review*

I read The Wild Swans and watched the Russian movie in preparation for reading Moonlight. This novel is based on the celtic story of "The Swan Princess." The basic premise is that Aowyn's brothers are turned to swans. Aowyn makes a deal with the villan Sylas Mortas. She will not speak for one thousand
Judy
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
* I recieved Moonlight from the author in exchange for an honest review. All words are my own and I was in no way compensated for this review*
This is a story of true love, infatuation, evil and good. While this was not my favorite kind of book I would normally read, I really enjoy it. The story was quite interesting even though in the beginning, I couldn't quite follow it, but then it got more and more interesting.
I thought the Author, Ann Hunter, did a great job. She is wonderful writer who
-RadioactiveBookworm-
Goodreads synopsis: One vow. One curse. One thousand moons.
In order to save her family, Aowyn risks a dangerous deal with the dark creature Sylas Mortas. But magic comes with a price: and Aowyn soon realizes the one she has paid is
Roxana
Jul 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
Lily
Mar 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Moonlight is a retelling of the classic folktale; the Swan Princess.
It is a short, well written and enjoyable book. The story is about love, duty, patience and evil. Each element is tested through the characters, making them go far and beyond for the things and people they cherish.
The MC Princess Aowyn is a favorite to the Queen;her mother while her six brothers are in favor of the King. But when her dear mother dies, the young princess vows to protect her family at all cost.
She is young but
Chasity Mealer
Sep 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was weary at first when I was asked to read and review this book because it is not in my typical genre of literature, but I am willing to experience new things outside my norm. To my surprise I was highly impressed with Ann Hunter's Celtic twist on the classic fairy tale The Swan Princess. Aowyn's priority in life was made very evident throughout the entire book. Aowyn's relationship with each member of her family was very evident and each very different. Ann did a wonderful job of showing the ...more
Diana (DomesticGoddess)
3.5 stars.
The novella-length story itself is nicely done, incorporating various Celtic myths in a semi-historical fantasy world.
Hunter has provided a handy Cast of Characters at the beginning of the book, complete with pronunciation guide for those ever-pesky Gaelic words. Even still, it's hard to read all those names without stumbling over them. The straightforward third-person writing style, scattered implausibility, and some downright silly actions of the characters suggest that this book is
Crystal Cierlak
Mar 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
.Ann Hunter is an author to watch. In this series (The Subtle Beauty, Moonlight, and the upcoming Fallen) Hunter has created a world that is as colorful as it is lush, and it is obvious great care went into perfecting each detail. While I continue to struggle with the names as I did in The Subtle Beauty, they were not a terrible hinderance as most of the more complicated names are relegated to background characters. There were a couple minor plot holes that I found, but overall they weren't a ...more
Kristy Hamilton
May 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was given a copy of this book for an honest review...
Moonlight is a retelling of the fairy tale The Swan Princess and The Children of Lir. I love how she ties in two old fairy tales to make one really good book. Then Ann Hunter put in her own twists and details just Moonlight really good and I really got into.
Moonlight is geared for young adults, but I think anyone could get into. There is a story of true love, infatuation, evil and good.
Aowyn is the 6th born child to Aodhagain and Sulwen. She
Jolie
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another fantastic book by Ann Hunter!!!

As said in the synopsis, this is a retelling of The Swan Princess and what a retelling it is!!! It is also the love story of Xander and Aowyn (told in her first book of the series: The Subtle Beauty).

I loved that again; the story featured Celtic lore. If I haven’t mentioned before, I love anything Celtic. This obsession started when I was in my teens, and I haven’t lost my love for it over the years.

I loved Aowyn’s devotion to her brothers and her mother’s
Dara Yu
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
Read a full review on my blog: https://jazzandsass.wordpress.com/201...

Truth be told. After reading The Subtle Beauty, I didn’t expect much from this book. I thought Moonlight will just be like The Subtle Beauty: cheesy and lacking in emotional connection.

But boy oh boy was I surprised. Not only did I enjoy the story, it also made me cry, which seldom happens when I ready fairy tales.

You’ll find that Moonlight isn’t just about a love story of star-crossed lovers, but it’s also a tale about
Gypsy Madden
Aug 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Ann Hunter's Celtic take on the legend of the Swan Princes is a beautifully woven story rich with medieval details and romance and plenty of magic. There were plot points I felt frustrated with and the brothers, once turned into swans felt like they completely lost their personalities and just simply became similar names (not to mention that the brothers felt disposable as time went on). But Aowyn, our heroine, is a vibrant character full of life and desires, and even without using her voice. ...more
Medavis66
Aug 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
I found this novella to be captivating. I was drawn in by the Celtic myths/ stories told to the siblings when they were younger. Aowyn seemed to be quite a strong Princess to be able to endure the 1000 moons with blind trust. It was sad that her other had died and the family was almost torn apart by the evil witch. I enjoyed that Xander fell in love with her with no words spoken between them. It was such a sweet and romantic tale. I loved the link to the Irish translator that allowed me to hear ...more
Free Books 4 Reviews: This topic has been closed to new comments. Moonlight 10 36 Nov 09, 2014 03:59PM
Crazy for Young A...: Whitney Award Nominated YA Fantasy Romances Seek Reviews 8 13 Nov 04, 2014 06:06PM
Happily Ever Afte...: Debut Author - YA Fantasy 1 10 Nov 04, 2014 10:10AM
David Estes Fans ...: MOONLIGHT 99c! 1 10 Apr 03, 2014 01:53PM
Crazy for Young A...: MOONLIGHT 99c! 1 8 Apr 03, 2014 01:52PM
New Cover For Moonlight 2 7 Mar 28, 2014 11:19AM
Read for FREE! 1 14 Mar 07, 2014 10:05AM

• Marked By Power (The Marked, #1)
  • Mother of Shadows (The Chosen, #1)
  • Heart of the Dragon's Realm
  • Dare to Believe (The Gray Court, #1)
  • That Touch of Magic (Nodaway Falls, #2)
  • The Bridge Kingdom (The Bridge Kingdom, #1)
  • Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble (Jolie Wilkins, #1)
  • Hopeless Magic (Hopeless #1)
  • The Vampire King (The Kings, #1)
  • To Wish Upon a Roman
  • The Scribe (Irin Chronicles, #1)
  • One True Mate (Westin Pack #1)
  • Sunstone's Fire (Cursed in Stone, #1)
  • Dragon's Heart (The Dragon Fey Saga, #1)
  • Gate to Kandrith (Kandrith, #1)
  • Ammey McKeaf (The Chronicles of Azulland Book 1)
  • Bluegrass Undercover (Bluegrass Brothers, #1)
  • Charming Hannah (Big Sky, #1)
Multi-award winning author, Ann Hunter, is the creator of the young adult fantasy series Crowns of the Twelve (including the novels The Subtle Beauty, Moonlight, Fallen, with A Piece of Sky, Ashes, and The Rose In The Briar to follow). She likes cherry soda with chocolate ice cream, is a mom first and a writer second, has a secret identity, and thinks the Twilight movies are cheesier than cheez ...more

Crowns of the Twelve (7 books)
  • The Subtle Beauty