Start by marking “That's Not My Puppy” as Want to Read:
That's Not My Puppy

That's Not My Puppy

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  748 Ratings  ·  66 Reviews
The imaginative use of textures in this inviting new board book adds a delightful dimension to sharing books with babies and toddlers. Bright illustrations are combined with simple text to develop sensory and language awareness. Very young children will love turning the pages to meet a number of different fun-to-touch puppies. 6 1/2 x 6 1/2 inches
Hardcover
Published June 1st 2001 by Edc Pub (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about That's Not My Puppy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about That's Not My Puppy

Paul Holland
Apr 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
*SPOILER ALERT* In this gripping instalment of Fiona Watt's "That's Not My..." series, it could easily be posited that more questions are raised than are answered.

On the surface, this book examines a vast array of puppies, the seemingly unseen and unknown/unknowable narrator providing reasons as to why each one cannot be, and is not, his/hers. As we gradually near the final pages, a distant feeling of unease grows into terror and suspense as we realise the possibility that "my" puppy may never b
Sarita
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My toddler's favourite book. Read too many times to keep track of.
Jennifer B.
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute toddler book with lots of fun textures.
Kristin
Mar 28, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We bought this for our youngest child when he was still an infant. Originally we couldn't figure why he didn't like the textures and would pull away each time we had him touch them. After an autism diagnosis at age two, this suddenly all made sense. One year later I am happy to say these Touch Feely Books played a large part in early intervention therapy. Now, not only does our son touch them - he can recite the story!!! These are really sweet books for any infant and toddler, but we ended up fi ...more
Stacy
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
cute-- great for toddlers; very good in helping kids connect the word with the feel. Many sensory, touchable pictures.
Alison Aldridge
Nov 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: toddler-books
My friend used these books for her three children (1 boy and 2 twin girls). Then she passed them on for my son to enjoy.

He loves them we have the lion, kitten and puppy one.

The feely pages not only make the story interactive but it also makes the pages easier to open. My son will often play with his books, opening the pages and feeling the part that has a different texture. We have one of these as a first story to settle down before bed. He also often reaches for them during the day to explore
Jan 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: four-star
Another delightful book in the That's Not My series; this time about a puppy. My baby loves feeling the different textures on each page and the illustrations are so cute!
Soobie can't sleep at night
Another book I've bought for teaching English to little children. I've noticed that, even if they're 8-9 years old, they still love the touching part or lifting flaps. So I try to buy books that can be appreciate in this way, too. And they aren't offended if I read them books that are dedicated to younger kids.

The language is a bit weird, if I may say so: the words seems to be a little uncommon. Fluffy is OK, but I had difficulties in coming up with a right translation for bumpy and squashy.

An
Vivian
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love all the Usborne Touchy-Feely Books. Each has a little white mouse "hidden character" to find and which narrates the text. Each has texture elements to touch, including soft, fuzzy, scratchy, bumpy, slipper, rough, and so on. The illustrations are brightly and imaginatively done. They are very engaging for both children and adults.
Racquel
Aug 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
Fiona
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book, it's probably the first book I read to my daughter when she was a baby.
Melody Rose
We didn't like the ending - it was very anti climactic. The baby's puppy didn't have the best aspects of the other dogs, or even something really fun
Dancingsocks
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I want the puppy with the shaggy ears. My puppy is rubbish.
Hilarie
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My 3 year old daughter loves puppies, so this is her new favorite. She loves "reading" it to everyone like a "big girl".
Asho
I bought this book for L to play with on a recent road trip, and it achieved my goal, which was to keep her occupied for at least a few minutes! She loves dogs (and animals in general) so I knew she would like this book. She chants "Puppy! Puppy!" while we read and in addition to touching all the different textures she also repeats all the words as I read ("fluffy", "shiny," etc.) She'll also happily read this one by herself, and I've caught my four-year-old paging through it as well.

ETA March 2
Aoife
Oct 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little charming mouse searches for her puppy through the twelve pages of this board book. The texture and charm makes it very popular. The pictures captivate children of all ages, even when very tiny. As the child grows they can begin to enjoy the story itself and the use of repetition and structure make these the perfect literary introduction for toddlers. It has beautiful colourful drawings, and each page has a textured patch. There is just one simple sentence on each page and the text teach ...more
Douglas
Mar 31, 2016 rated it liked it
This one is a favorite in the family because of the nature of the book itself. CC loves to poke and pet the various puppies -- especially the shaggy one. It also teaches a little. For example, prior to this series of books I never knew "squashy" was a word. Well, it is. Now you have an education too! In your face!

The phrase "that's not my puppy" is the repetitive phrase here, and repetition can be good for reading out loud. With its interactive nature and that, it's a decent book to read a few t
Risapopelka
Apr 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a page turner. Which puppy is YOUR puppy!?

But it in seriousness, this is my kid's favorite book. He loves the thick pages and the textures of each puppy. He always touches the squashy nose (he is 14 months old) He also has That's Not My Penguin and That's Not My Bunny but this is his favorite.

Date I finished this book: I have been reading it every day since May 2013.

Spoiler alert: It is the last puppy (squashy nose)
Leonie
Feb 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I inherited some of these books from a friend when my baby was born. She had enjoyed them with her son and thought I might like them for my daughter. At almost 10 months old my little girl is starting to more actively explore the world and it seems like the right time to introduce these lovely books with their textured insets to her.
K
Nov 22, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My son loves the That's Not My books, so they have his vote for sure. I like that they are super easy for reading to baby, but I wish they had far more textures - on the shiny or slippery ones, for example, I feel a little cheated because there's nothing to feel.
Zoe
Jan 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We have two puppies, so we love to read this book. And now that I'm 7 months old, I can pat the hairy dogs on the pages all by myself. Also, there's a little mouse on each page and it's fun to find where he is!
Suzanne Kunz Williams
I love how each page in this book has a completely different feel to it. Each dog is so different and shows different personality. It's an important concept for little ones to grasp that though all "Fill in the blank here" might be in the same category they are still have important differences.
Amie
Oct 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book that my 3 year old learned to "read". Now, she wasn't actually reading it, but she had MEMORIZED it! But you couldn't have told her she wasn't reading it.... she KNEW she was reading it! =)
Jamie
Nov 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-book
Really good touch and feel board book. Great for toddlers. Different textures in this book than I've seen in most touch and feel books (but it has been awhile since I've read too many touch and feel books).
Michelle
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
I could add the entire series of That's Not My... to my list of books. My little boy LOVES them. They are built to last and I just find them adorable. I can't wait to have a little girl so I can get That's Not My Mermaid!!
Jocelin
Jan 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another cute addition to the "That's Not My" series. It is so sweet and simple. Great 1st baby book.
Melissa
El really likes these touch-and-feel books, and anything associated with dogs, so this was a winner.
Angela Randall
These books are great. Our one year old LOVES them.
Lindy
Sep 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of Rhys's favorites.
  • Mirror Me!: A Mirror Book (Baby Einstein)
  • Yawn
  • Spot Goes to School (color)
  • Baby Faces
  • My Cat Likes to Hide in Boxes
  • In My Tree
  • Touch & Feel: FARM
  • First 100 Words
  • Duck & Goose, It's Time For Christmas!
  • Global Babies
  • Llama Llama Zippity-Zoom
  • I Kissed the Baby!
  • Peek-a-Who?
Fiona Watt graduated from Exeter University with a B.Ed. (Hons.), specialising in Psychology and Art and Design. After university she worked as a researcher and writer for a company which published educational material for places where children went on school visits (zoos, museums, stately homes etc). She then taught seven, eight, and nine year olds for five years; three years at a state school in ...more
More about Fiona Watt