Start by marking “The Red Sheet” as Want to Read:
The Red Sheet

The Red Sheet

One October morning, high school junior Bryan Dennison wakes up a different person—helpful, generous, and chivalrous—a person whose new admirable qualities he doesn’t recognize. Stranger still is the urge to tie a red sheet around his neck like a cape.

Bryan soon realizes this compulsion to wear a red cape is accompanied by more unusual behavior. He can’t hold back from re
Published February 21st 2014 by Harmony Ink Press (first published February 20th 2014)

Start your review of The Red Sheet
Justin
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I predict this will be one of the top 5 YA books of 2014!

I'll try to string a few thoughts together that will do this justice when I can see straight.

ETA - Review:

Warning: If you've ever been bullied, this book may be a major trigger for you! There's also an interrupted sexual assault scene that (view spoiler)

This is a YA book. There's no sex to speak of in The Red Sheet. If you have to have sex in your books, this one is not for y
Sheziss
***CAUTION: RED SHEETS EVERYWHERE!!!***

The amazing thing about water drops is that they always take the path of least resistance. For humans it's exactly the opposite.

Bryan is a water drop, but Scott is not. Bryan has to learn how to fight against the flow. How to make the tough choice because it's the right way to go. And to understand that he needs the strength the red sheet gives to him. To be the change he wants to see in the world.

Oh yeah, it was totally crazy. One day Bryan gets up and de
☆ Todd
Apr 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I do have a point, so please bear with me...

If you have a box full of fluffy, yellow baby chicks and add a chick with a black spot on its head into the mix, the other chicks will peck the spotted chick to death. If it's different, kill it. Sad, but true. : (

So what does that have to do with this book? Well, it's exactly the same in regards to being different with high school kids and let's just say that our would-be hero, Bryan Dennison, woke up one morning to the startling revelation that he ha
Linda ~ they got the mustard out! ~
 photo 2vv3kfn.jpg_zpsryekgkfw.gif
 photo 23izf2v.jpg_zpstss7pi6q.gif
 photo bgvgwy.jpg_zpslbreikxx.gif
 photo r90t41.jpg_zpsvyz7notj.gif

Yeah, I'm pretty pissed off after reading this.

TW: abuse, sexual assault, bullying, homophobia

Looks like I'm the odd one out because I hated this book.

I was betrayed by a best friend when I was in junior high. She accused me of doing things I would never do, and this was after weeks of not talking to me because she was busy with her new friends at her new school. But I didn’t know what she was going to say when I took her phone call. I was just happy she called, that I wasn’t forgotten, that I w
Susan
Feb 23, 2014 rated it really liked it

I'm super sensitive to books about bullying. My heart...well, it hurts...when kids are made fun of for no other reason than a perceived pecking order in their schools. So, it may surprise you that I love YA and read LGBT YA quite regularly. Glutton for the angst, I guess. Or maybe just reminding myself to keep hurting and feeling for kids that have to go through it...and being AWARE that it happens.

Ok...PSA over...

The Red Sheet is one of those 'classic' YA tales...geeky gay kid, picked on at sch
River
Jun 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, young-adult
This book is so hard to rate because 90% of the story is very good and entertaining but when you finally know everything your heart breaks in a million tiny pieces, how could you do that Bryan?

Bryan's story is interesting and quirky, for a big part of the story I was confused. why he didn¡t remebered Scott and a lot of things about himself but you are able to let it go and enjoy Bryan's journey of not only becoming a better person but dealing with the person he used to be.
I liked reading from
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
This gem is very much a Y/A novel and not steamy at all (one on-page kiss and one short flashback that includes more than a kiss), but sweet, a little heartbreaking, and all-around lovely.

The "red sheet" of the title is purely symbolic, and Bryan's personality change (he goes from jock bully, worried about fitting in, to essentially a super hero with a heart of gold) is mostly explained at the end (not sure this reasoning is realistic psychologically, but it worked for me).

Scotty was a great c
Jewel
4.5 Stars

My friend Todd, pretty much insisted that I read this book and then he insisted some more and I said ok. And then I put it off some more. Well, I finally got around to reading The Red Sheet and I'm glad I finally gave in and read this book!

Though the selective amnesia is, indeed, far fetched, I was able to suspend my disbelief and really enjoy the story. It's a story about second chances, and not just with other people, but with yourself, too.

Bryan Dennison is a jock. He's tall and bi
Josy
~ 4.5 stars ~

This story was... surprisingly good! Surprising not because I thought it would be a bad book but because it started out a bit farfetched. And usually, by the time I hit the last page, I have to have an explanation for everything that's been going on when it comes to contemporary stories.

Here, I didn't mind at all that there was no clear reason or explanation for Bryan's overnight personality change. I just went with it and I'm glad I did.

This was sweet, lovely, and funny. Given the
Heather C
So, YA is normally NOT my thing, and Mia Kerick is a new-to-me-author, but when TBG was asked to participate in the blog tour for The Red Sheet…I was immediately drawn in when I read the blurb.  Yes, I volunteered to read a young adult novel…and you know what?  I LOVED EVERY WORD OF IT!!!

Seventeen year old Bryan Dennison has done something unforgivable, he just can’t remember what he did.  In fact, he woke up with more than a few blanks in his memory and this overwhelming urge to tie a red sheet
Bev
Feb 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtq-mm, young-adult

4.5 stars from me for this one. A really good, thought-provoking and quirky story with a surprising amount of humour. Did the humour take the edge off the main thrust of the story...that verbal, physical and even sexual abuse is rife in high schools no matter in what part of the world you live?? It didn't for me, but others may view it differently.

Honesty is the best policy, so I'll be up front and say that originally I noticed the cover of this book first on the DsP website....a young, pouty a
Catherine
*** 4.5 Red Cape-worthy Stars ***

A wonderfully written YA novel about high school, bullying, identity, the consequences of our actions, love, and forgiveness, this book is at times confusing, funny, heart-wrenching and inspiring.
Lori
Feb 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books that has been sitting on my TBR list for a long while. I knew I'd enjoy it because J gives great recommendations but I just never got round to it. Boy am I glad I corrected that oversight.

Mia Kerick has a way of taking an unusual or horrible situation and looking at it sideways. Bullying is abhorrent. Yet this book gives you the bully as the protagonist. We're not meant to feel sorry for him, yet we are totally rooting for him. It takes a talented writer to do this.

If
Breann
THE RED SHEET is a powerful YA novel. It will hit you right in the heart.

When Bryan wakes up one morning, he's ready to save the world while wearing his red cape. This would be all good and well if it was normal behavior for Bryan. Except for it's so not his norm. He's the bully. The jock everyone steers clear from. But he doesn't quite remember being that person. So, he's shocked to find out that the boy he's attracted to was brutally hurt by none other than Bryan himself.

Bryan knows that he ne
Eve
Mar 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
A moral packaged as a story.

I enjoyed the beginning of this story, and most of the middle, but it got increasingly preachy. This book will also bother readers who dislike being hit over the head with the point through a lengthy expository right after a scene that already made said point.

While it was completely predictable how the whole thing would play out, I nonetheless enjoyed seeing Bryan's transformation. The problem was that my enjoyment kept getting spoiled by irritants like the explanat
Vicki
Dec 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, i-own, m-m, kindle, ya
I loved this one more than I thought I would. Even though it was a serious subject, the internal dialogue had me cracking up in parts.
Sandra
I have no idea what to say about this book, other than urging you to read this as soon as you can get your hands on a copy. And then someone please start a petition to make this required high school reading.

I'm still bawling...
Tess
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Re-read. Just as good the second time. One of the most moving stories about bullying I've ever read.

I have such huge amounts of LOVE for this book! It's a truly heartwarming coming of age story. [Feb 2015]
J.S.
Feb 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Bryan Dennison: Superman of Intention.

So this guy wakes up one Monday morning with some significant memory loss and a full-on craving for a red cape. His entire outlook on life has changed; his conscience has swelled to epic proportions; and he's determined to be the change he wants to see in the world.

He's become an honest-to-God Superhero overnight...only, he's developed none of the superpowers (well, aside from the strong-moral-compass thing).

It's so very silly. Highly amusing, but silly.

That
lisa
May 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to lisa by: Anna C
Call this anything. Heartwarming. Hearbreaker. Heartrippedintosomepieces. An-open-minder. Made me speechless because the truth is so hurt I want to cry (And I did).
Masih dalam tahap-tahap tertegun. The power of forgivenes is definitely, absolutely awesome. Its bring a bright life, a bright future and a peace. Ini juga mengingatkanku dengan sebuah buku yang dibawa Ayah dari suatu bazar. Judulnya The power of forgivenes, yang sekarang terpajang tak terbaca olehku di rak buku keluarga. Perbedaan m
AnnaLund
4.5 stars, rounded up.

For my honest and true view of this book, please read …MORE

Goodreads TOS-compliant review (I think, let me know when they tell us what the rules are):

"The book I just read is about two (or three) lovely people, written in beautiful language, by a very good and prolific author. I liked it very, very much.
It is for sale on Amazon.”

DISCLAIMER: My reviews now all have this pretty face, so that all and everyone on Goodreads can stay happy and beatific. I’ll let you know if I ch
Borderstar

Mia Kerick is a new author to me, so I wasn't sure what to expect when I started this - I was actually surprised by how much I liked this. I really enjoyed Kerick's writing style and the story. It was hilariously funny throughout, especially early on before all of Bryan's memories come back, and I laughed so much while reading this, the humour was spot on for me - it was incredibly funny at points, but never in a "trying-too-hard" or OTT way for me. At the same time, the humour is used
Aisha (seetheworldwithbooks)
It's almost one in the morning and iam 100% sleepy so...review coming soon !;)
Michael Bowler
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Red Sheet is a rare and marvelous achievement – a contemporary fantasy that straddles a fine line between dark subject matter and off-the wall-humor, and succeeds at both. It’s premise is tantalizing: Bryan Dennison, popular high school jock, wakes one morning with major portions of his memory erased and such an insatiable desire to be a superhero that he actually ties a red sheet around his neck or carries one in his backpack. Offbeat? Definitely. Does the premise lend itself to scads of hu ...more
Tina
Jan 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I can't even... full review to come.

It has taken me days to come up with the right words for this review. You’d have thought I would forget about it, but alas, the lyrics to Five For Fighting’s song “Superman” just wouldn’t let me. I have had a brain worm for days. My sanity is barely intact, so if I don’t write this review soon, I will have to do it from the psych ward. Mia Kerrick’s work and I have had a tumultuous past. I like there to be justice done. Good to overcome evil. The perpetrator o
Rohit
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m
I didn't like this. It's so idealistic that I thought more than once whose head is up whose ass to come up with this much level of idealism. And I'm not a bad enabler who condemns good deeds or stuff like that. But even if you're jonesin' (author's words) around, you gotta play it a bit real. Because throughout the whole story, I was hoping for something real. Even the bullying part was so scripted. Yeah, scripted works best to describe this novel. It's heavily scripted like those school plays o ...more
Therese
*3.5*

This was really different, as well as sweet and depressing. Most of all, I guess it was hopeful.
It started out as a 5 star read for me, up until a certain point.
(view spoiler)
Cathy Brockman
: Oh wow was this story awesome! If I had more hearts to give, I would! Mia really has outdone herself with this story. Her style is engaging and fun. I love first person, but I absolutely loved how this was told by one of the Bully’s instead of the victim. It was as if Bryon was sitting there telling me the story. I loved how he asked us question and drew us in and stuff like that. (“no comment form the peanut gallery”) or the famous (“I shit you not”) I also liked how the red sheet was almost ...more
Mel Sparks
This is a perfect example of fiction.

photo NeNe_zpshx6k7apm.gif

I wish I was in the mood to be clearly articulate in my reasoning for why I didn't love this story but I'm not. I have no desire for pretentious language today. In the deepest reaches of my mind, I guess this story deserved more attention than I gave it - all these notions of empowerment and personal acceptance should have had me clapping at the end with shouts of tearful praise and warm fuzzy feelings towards Bryan & Scott but no, nothing of the sort hap
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Backlot Gay B...: The Red Sheet by Mia Kerick 3 15 May 09, 2014 04:43PM
YA LGBT Books: March 2014 BotM - The Red Sheet *spoilers* 18 92 Mar 18, 2014 03:20PM

• Silent
  • Diamonds (Life According to Maps, #2)
  • Social Skills
  • Project Hero
  • rock
  • Fearless
  • Boy Shattered
  • Alex in Wonderland
  • One Man Guy (One Man Guy, #1)
  • Date Me, Bryson Keller
  • Sock it to Me, Santa!
  • Fan Art
  • Maps (Life According to Maps, #1)
  • After School Activities
  • The Gift (Love in O'Leary, #2)
  • True Colors (True Love, #2)
  • Prince of Air and Darkness (The Darkest Court, #1)
  • Lucky (Lucky #1)

Mia Kerick is the mother of four exceptional children—one in law school, another at a dance conservatory, a third studying at Mia’s alma mater, Boston College, and her lone son still in high school. She has published more than twenty books of LGBTQ romance when not editing National Honor Society essays, offering opinions on college and law school applications, helping to create dance bios, and rev