Start by marking “Clutterfree with Kids” as Want to Read:
Clutterfree with Kids

Clutterfree with Kids

Children add joy, purpose, and meaning to our lives. They provide optimism, hope, and love. They bring smiles, laughter, and energy into our homes.

They also add clutter. As parents, balancing life and managing clutter may appear impossible—or at the very least, never-ending. But what if there was a better way to live?

Clutterfree with Kids offers a new perspective and
Paperback, 1, 197 pages
Published January 14th 2014 by Becoming Minimalist

To ask other readers questions about Clutterfree with Kids, please sign up.
Meghan I think a pre-teen boy would likely be bored by this one. It's not really about living in a clutter-free house, but more about attitudes and…moreI think a pre-teen boy would likely be bored by this one. It's not really about living in a clutter-free house, but more about attitudes and scheduling and interacting with society's consumerism/family values/expectations.(less)
The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie KondōThe Joy of Less, A Minimalist Living Guide by Francine JayGoodbye, Things by Fumio SasakiZero Waste Home by Bea JohnsonEssentialism by Greg McKeown
Minimalism
75 books — 51 voters
Home Comforts by Cheryl MendelsonSink Reflections by Marla CilleyOrganizing from the Inside Out by Julie MorgensternThe Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie KondōThe House that Cleans Itself by Mindy Starns Clark
Cleaning House
69 books — 46 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Clutterfree with Kids
Emily
Feb 05, 2014 rated it did not like it
I am a minimalist. I believe that stuff can consume our time and resources in ways that we don't anticipate when we acquire them and I am constantly striving to reduce the amount of time and energy I spend on owning stuff.

I got this book because I read a great review of it online which included some quotes that were in line with my own philosophy about stuff and since I'm a new parent, I was hoping for some insight into how to both: live minimally with kids and the tsunami of stuff they require
Alison Brown
Mar 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: minimalism
This was a tough rating; I think it's a great book for parents who are unfamiliar with minimalism and how it could apply to their lives. I'm a parent who is familiar with minimalism and the author's blog (which I recommend) and was hoping for fewer generalizations about the merits of less and more in-depth specifics on the challenging reality of life and stuff with kids.
Lady Susan
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2015
I think this book is rather poorly titled. A better description would be: how to become minimalist even with having kids. The book expounds on the joys of owning less and gives helpful pointers. My only problem, is that it still treats objects as easily disposable. Just throw it away! Give it away! I wish it were a bit more non-consumer in that regard. It is still rather inspiring.
Bianca
Jan 30, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh. I expected more specific ideas related to the issues facing parents and the clutter they deal with from their kids. Instead I felt as if the book was an overview of minimalism & how you can pursue that in many avenues, but not specifically through managing children's clutter. Perhaps if the title were different I would not have been disappointed.
On the positive side, it was a quick & easy read & I do enjoy his writing style.
Bonnie
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Always looking for a more effective way to manage STUFF (especially wit 6 kids at my house), I started reading this expecting a typical organization how-to. What I got instead was essentially a guide to re-prioritizing yourself emotionally.
The author suggests that with our insane consumer-driven society, we focus SO much on earning, shopping for and managing possessions, we leave little room, time and money for the things of real significance (such as relationships and character development).
Ciara Wilkie
Aug 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: own-kindle
This is a great book if you're dipping your toe into Minimalism. I have read a lot on the subject and was hoping for more practical advice and suggestions. This was more abstract advice.
There's great stuff in here, but I already knew a lot of it. I would recommend this to anyone who is a parent looking to declutter but who wants more advice on the subject rather than a how to. If you're looking for a how to I suggest The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up. That book helped me start the process
Caroline Smith
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eye opening

With kids comes clutter, but this book opened my eyes to ideas of living intentionally with the "stuff" we love most and what to do with the rest. Excellent suggestions in almost every chapter. Highly recommend.
Penny McGill
May 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a surprisingly good book. I've heard read variations on this theme many times; where a character will say that 'any book with the word garden/cooking/hairstyle/decorating and I can't help but buy it' but for me it's any book that has the word 'clutter'. I am endlessly thinking that I'd like to improve our quality of life by lessening the clutter and would like it even more if I could get the kids involved. It sounds like a pie in the sky kind of thing and I hesitated before I began ...more
Becky
Jul 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was a lot about the philosophy behind minimalism and encouraging clutterfree THINKING more than the nuts and bolts of reducing kid related clutter (though there was some of that, too). I think someone who hasn't read much about minimalism would get a lot more out of this book than someone like myself who has read quite a lot about it already.

An interesting thought in chapter 4: that a lot of people contemplating minimalism start worrying right away about the hardest thing (family
Vivian
Nov 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
There is no magic wand. The magic is in what happens by inviting less into your life and finding so much more.

The author introduces the reader to "minimalist living" via his own life-changing anecdote. Before reading this book I was unaware of his first book SIMPLIFY: 7 Guiding Principles to Help Anyone De-clutter Their Home and Life. He also has a blog: Becoming Minimalist.

I was already on this journey of letting things go and acquiring less. Hence, what he shares was very welcome to me.

The
April Thrush
May 28, 2019 rated it liked it
If you want to read about navigating the idea of minimalism with kids, this is the book for you.

However, I think I have some qualms with the whole idea itself just a little bit. Often when people become "minimalist" that becomes what they find their identity in it seems. I think that's kind of weird, quite frankly. I personally love the idea of simplifying my lifestyle and find it aligns well with my personal convictions as a Christian, but I do not want to label of "Minimalist" along with
Christy
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If there is a book that will inspire me to do another round of decluttering then I'll give it 5 stars. I've read about this topic a lot and have been slowly getting rid of extras in my house, but I'm ready to really make a big difference. This book would be a great introduction to this subject, especially for anyone with kids. It was the first book I've read that talks about a minimalist life with kids, and I appreciated the realistic suggestions.
Rachel
Apr 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
I’m really disappointed with this book. I hoped it would be full of helpful tips to encourage kids to live with less, or clean up after themselves, or something. Instead it was poorly written, and what little content there was to be found in the choppy sentences was pseudo-religious, promising Purpose, if only you can be Minimalist like the author, without delivering any ways to achieve minimalism or any meaningful definition of Purpose. I couldn’t finish it.
Katelyn
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Changed my way of thinking about organizing and decluttering. It made me realize how many resources I put into organizing items and how I can take back my time, money and attention by getting rid of items and buying less to begin with. Made me think of the whole picture when it comes to organizing our stuff and prioritize what is important to me--time with my family.
Tobias Rasmussen
Apr 29, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Could have been written by a pastor.
I wanted to read something by Becker ever since I saw the documentary "Minimalism" on Netflix. He seemed like such a cool guy, who really felt like an expert on the matter. This, however, is not what I got out of his book.
My biggest complaint of this book is that the message of minimalism all of the sudden has to be embedded in conservative elements, such as judeo-christian values, old-fashioned family hierarchies, etc. I get that Becker is a "spiritual
Kristin Boldon
May 01, 2015 rated it did not like it
After reading Marie Kondo's excellent, entertaining, and useful book The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up, I wished for some specific strategies for American families, as Kondo's book focuses on people living alone in Japan. Becker's book is not what I hoped for, perhaps because I'm already committed to minimalizing in life, and I already espouse most of what he recommends. This book is a cheap, unattractive book, self-published with a stock photo cover, cheap paper, ugly font and typesetting. ...more
Megan
Mar 04, 2014 rated it liked it
I thought this was a decent book and it was helpful. It's nice that it's short and to the point. The first chapters about the reasons for minimalism struck me as very "rah-rah everything is wonderful" where I prefer more down-to-earth principles, but that's just my taste and I understand the author is trying to appeal to a broad audience and make his book appealing to people he's about to tell they need to throw out a lot of their stuff. Not an easy task. Anyhow, the basic idea of the whole book ...more
AM
Jan 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you are looking for a book on organizing, you might be surprised that is book really isn’t it. Pleasantly surprised though, I PROMISE! Clutterfree with Kids, isn’t about buying more bins and shelves for your kids toys and hiding things away when you have guests. It’s about learning that owning less is better than organizing more, and joy in life isn’t found in owning more. A blogging minimalist, Joshua Becker helps you dive right in and let go.

What is minimalism? Everyday more and more
Pam
Feb 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant! This is *not* just another declutter / organise book. It's about putting anti consumerism / materialism theory into practice. I was half way there already, but this book has strengthened my resolve to pursue the simple, one income family life. I'm not going to launch us immediately into full scale minimalism but before I'd finished this book I'd cleared out 6 binbags and a box full of clutter in just a couple of hours, and it feels good!

I would add that the author can come across as a
April
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was terribly disappointed in Becker's first book, Simplify. I read this immediately after and this was the book I was hoping for with his first one. This book is not busting with organizational tips, tricks, or products. It's more for the person that wants to get to the root of the problem - the mindset of decluttering. I found it very motivational in that sense and as a result, I'm grateful I read it.
Ellis
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chaos-challenge
I liked it! But i took me ten days to read because I kept taking breaks to clean my home ;)
I've now got 12 bags of outgrown children's clothes that I will give away to charity... I'm going to clean a lot more. I will never completely become a minimalist, but he did make i sound pretty nice and achievable...
Suki
Mar 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one eBook I will keep and reread periodically. I love the setup in his book. Joshua Becker sets you up for success by challenging your view of conventional and normal. Once your mind is made up, you can begin to develop new habits which will lead you to freeing your life.
Jigna
Feb 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Strong on the philosophy side - why to become a minimalist and the benefits to living a simpler life. Very little on the practical side of decluttering.
Most of it is quite general rather than specifically about kids, so is useful to everyone. Plenty of inspiration and a quick read.
Anna LeBlanc
Feb 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Pretty basic, but worth the read. Inspiring too.
Vito
Aug 16, 2017 rated it liked it
I'll admit, this is the second time I've read through this book.

The first time was just before kids and I was curious to see how my perspective changed since having them. I'll admit, not much has changed (about clutter... everything else... well...)

Becker does a great job at outlining the ideas behind living a clutter-free household. However, if you're already familiar with the idea, which my wife and I strive to be, there will be a few good nuggets of wisdom in here, but nothing groundbreaking.
Thomas
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
We had a bunch of clutter before kids. After kids, the clutter has multiplied and grown and I was looking for strategies on dealing with it; mostly because shoveling everything out of the house and starting over isn't a viable strategy.

Sadly, what I got was a a series of blog posts disguised as a book; every chapter is a new "post". Only a few chapters were actually dedicated to children / babies. The rest of the book touted the wonders of minimalism. I get it. I do. I'd love to fit everything
Jean-marie Prevost
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: self-help
Before anything I have to say that my main complaint about this book is that I could not for the life of me identify with anything in it. The message is good. It reads well, I liked the use of bold fonts to better divide the content which allowed for much easier and faster reading.

The problem is that this book addresses issues I've never found myself facing. Spending countless hours maintaining and organizing your stuff? Buying stuff to make yourself happy? Buying gifts for your loved ones
Erin Nudi
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: parenting, 2018-books
This book was very repetitive and some things he said just didn't ring true to me. Like the sentence, "Rarely do people look back on their lives and savor their professional achievements." What? Really?

And when he talks about getting rid of stuff/decluttering he only mentions giving things away or donating them. I don't think he once mentioned throwing things away. He doesn't come out and say it, but I'm assuming he's trying to avoid throwing things out for environmental reasons, but that's just
Ali Van Note
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
It’s kind of rare for me as a parent to pick up a book with very similar ideals as I have, but this book is definitely that. I think my version would include more research (that actually does exist to validate his points) and some sections on how to manage the emotional stress many people have that stops then from letting go. Otherwise, unfortunately, everything in this book is something we already do in some capacity... which was a bit disappointing. However, it is really nice to read a book ...more
Alexa
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've been consuming as many books on minimalism as I can recently and I'm familiar with Joshua Becker so I thought I'd read this one. As another reviewer mentioned, the first and last sections (out of three) of this book are more about minimalism in general, but the second (largest) section gives specific examples of hard-to-declutter areas of life as it pertains to children. Even though I don't have kids, it was still extremely helpful, because each chapter in the section gives an anecdote, ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Minimalism for Families: Practical Minimalist Living Strategies to Simplify Your Home and Life
  • Everything That Remains: A Memoir by the Minimalists
  • The Joy of Less, A Minimalist Living Guide: How to Declutter, Organize, and Simplify Your Life
  • Simple Happy Parenting: The Secret of Less for Calmer Parents and Happier Kids
  • Minimalist Parenting: Enjoy Modern Family Life More by Doing Less
  • Cozy Minimalist Home: More Style, Less Stuff
  • Minimalism: Essential Essays
  • Minimalism: Live a Meaningful Life
  • New Minimalism: Decluttering and Design for Sustainable, Intentional Living
  • Montessori: The Science Behind the Genius
  • Cleaning House: A Mom's Twelve-Month Experiment to Rid Her Home of Youth Entitlement
  • Soulful Simplicity: How Living with Less Can Lead to So Much More
  • Do Less: A Minimalist Guide to a Simplified, Organized, and Happy Life
  • Destination: Simple - Rituals and Rhythms for a Simpler Daily Life
  • Organized Simplicity: The Clutter-Free Approach to Intentional Living
  • Unstuffed: Decluttering Your Home, Mind & Soul
  • The Year of Less: How I Stopped Shopping, Gave Away My Belongings, and Discovered Life Is Worth More Than Anything You Can Buy in a Store
Joshua Becker and his young family were introduced to minimalism 6 years ago during a short conversation with their neighbor. Since then, Joshua’s story and writing have inspired millions around the world to find more life by owning fewer possessions. Today, based on his thoughtful and intentional approach to minimalism, he is one of the leading voices in the modern simplicity movement reaching ...more
“Owning less is better than organizing more.” 28 likes