Start by marking “The Light that Gets Lost” as Want to Read:
The Light that Gets Lost

The Light that Gets Lost

Years later, Trey enters a strange camp that is meant to save troubled teenagers. It's packed with craz
Published November 5th 2015 by Bloomsbury Childrens

The Sin Eater’s Daughter by Melinda SalisburyHalf Wild by Sally GreenThe Art of Being Normal by Lisa  WilliamsonThe Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick NessFinding Audrey by Sophie Kinsella
UKYA in 2015
147 books — 288 voters
Liars, Inc. by Paula StokesRed Queen by Victoria AveyardAn Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa TahirAkarnae by Lynette NoniThe Girl at Midnight by Melissa Grey
2015 YA Covers
273 books — 523 voters

More lists with this book...

Dannii Elle
I'm so confused on my thoughts concerning this!

Troubled teenager Trey's fate was decided when he witnessed the murder of his entire family whilst just a toddler. A decade later, he is sent to a camp for wayward children where he believes he will find the perpetrator for his parent's untimely demise. His continual struggle to control his emotions makes him appear as just another troubled teen, but Trey knows he is different from the troublemakers that reside there. That is, until he m
Aly (In Wonderland)
Sep 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
He wasn't like these other boys. His life had been set upon by circumstances beyond his control. He wasn't bad for the kick of things; he'd grown bad like bacteria on foul meat.

Trey was only a little boy when his parents were murdered, but he still remembers the night like it was yesterday, and his plans for revenge are the only thing keeping him going as he grows up without direction or support. Now sixteen, Trey is on the way to Camp Kernow, a place for troubled teens that claims salvation for
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: bloomsbury
Trey constantly refers to the Demon when talking about his drive to avenge his parents. At first I assumed it was a metaphor used to describe his anger, I'm not sure whether it was part of Trey's journey but he seemed to believe the Demon was a physical being that possessed him that was never clarified. Another aspect of the storyline that I found difficult to connect with was the dialogue between the characters. The characters all had a very distinct British dialect and even being Australian
Fatima
Nov 13, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
DNF at 45%

I'm sorry. I just can't. I tried so hard to like this book. There were so many positive reviews, the blurb & cover were attractive, and it generally looked like such an appealing book. I felt like I found my perfect read. However, I couldn't have been more wrong.

Most of the people said they flew through this book. I, however, felt like I was swimming through mud. This book ruined my reading pace by being so sluggish and slow. I'd keep checking how many pages were left every
Connie
Source: I received a digital copy of this book from Netgalley via the publisher, Bloomsbury! Thanks to both!
Cost: Free

Title: The Light That Gets Lost
Author: Natasha Carthew
Genre: YA, contemporary
Overall Rating: 3 stars

Trey was only a kid when it happened, when he saw his parents killed. And now, as someone older and more mature, he wants one thing. Revenge. And when he ends up at a camp, he finds that maybe revenge isn't that far of a stretch away.

I e/>/>/>/>
Tilly Booth
Feb 08, 2016 rated it did not like it
This book had potential but it just wasn't reached. I didn't even finish this book and although there were some parts where I enjoyed the authors writing, a lot of didn't flow or make sense. I got lost in this book too often and it drained any enjoyment I had for it. It's looks nice though.
Yvonne (It's All About Books)
brthelightthatgetslost
Finished reading: February 16th 2017
Rating 1,5qqq

“His life had been set upon by circumstances beyond his control. He wasn't ad for the kick of things; he'd grown bad like bacteria on foul meat.”

(view spoiler) ...more
Monique
Sep 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I received a free copy of this through NetGalley

I was hooked on this from the first page. I don't want to say too much about this yet given that it isn't being released for a little while but keep your eyes out. The Light That Gets Lost was heartbreaking, funny and captivating - everything you need in a good book.
Mary
Sep 29, 2015 rated it did not like it
I'm sorry, this is not for me. I tried.
Anna (BooksandBookends)
May 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley, 2016
I received a free copy of this book by the book's publishers via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

When I picked up this book, I had high expectations. The blurb drew me in and I had read a couple of good reviews before deciding to give it a go for myself. I wanted this book to be brilliant so much, but it ended up being one of the most disappointing books I have read this year.

Trey is a teenager who has seen his parents killed. Now he has only one focus, rev
Rachel Kirtlan

It took me a little while to get into this book, mostly due to the writing style. I struggled a bit with the accent of the dialogue and all the run-on sentences. I understand that both of these were deliberate, but they did make it a bit harder to read.

It was around the 30% mark that I started getting interested in the story and the characters. I particularly liked the character of Lamby, as he had a certain childish innocence and playfulness about him, even though he'd
Alicia Papp
Apr 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
Well.....I usually don't mind having to work to understand a novel, or to re-read passages a second or third time to make sense of what is happening and I love getting into a person's thought processes; but I really laboured through this book. And lumbering through this novel was not enjoyable, or satisfying. Admittedly the pace picked up and the story flowed easier after the other characters became involved and I wasn't stuck in Trey's head the whole time. And there are some beautiful and inspi ...more
Sonia
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
Trey joins an odd camp in Cornwall. He is looking for someone so that he can avenge the death of his parents, and there is a fire that is burning inside of him, threatening to escape at all times.

I found this really odd. It didn't feel like it was set in Cornwall at all, it felt like it was set in America in the 1920s. It just felt like Of Mice & Men - retelling.

Now, I have nothing against Of Mice & Men at all, far from it, I think it's a fantastic story, but ther
Escape into a Booksite
Sep 09, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
ARC kindly provided via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

I started reading this and immediately didn't like the writing style. I tried going on for a few pages, but I can't get into books with this kind of writing. Trey's memory at the beginning was explained in what I think was supposed to be a child's point of view, but in my opinion wasn't written well enough to come across in a way that hooks you and makes you hold on.

Trey as an adolescent seems to come across in thi
Josephine Knight
Nov 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
DNF. The writing was beautiful and the plot was interesting but ultimately I was left confused from the very beginning and the setting was not something I enjoyed, particularly the feeling that the book gave me.
A Reader's Heaven

Years later, Trey goes to a strange camp that is meant to save troubled teenagers. It's packed with crazies, god-botherers, devoted/>
A
Georgina
May 16, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dropped
Read 33 pages and I was already sick of the writing style, so I gave in. This has to be the record for the least amount of pages I've read before dropping a book by far.
So apparently this is set in England?? Well, apart from "innit" I have never heard any English person talk like the characters in this book in my 18 years of living here. I've heard Americans talking like that, but no Brits.
Also, if this is set down south like everyone I know is saying, I've never heard a southerner say "innit"
Rachel Mckay
Oct 20, 2017 rated it liked it
I gave this book as many chances as I could possible give it, but it just wasn't the book for me.
That's not to say there is anything wrong with the story, it was quite interesting and the writing style was very unique, but it just wasn't my type of story.
I gave up at about half way, and I feel guilty for doing so, but I just didn't connect with the characters and became bored of the story.
Miss C
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn’t really see the point.
Zanyar
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
I was a little into the story but I wanted to rip the page every time I read a metaphor. And there was a lot. The book was soaked in it.
Maaike
May 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-netgalley

ARC received through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Penance tails up within. You only got yourself to answer to when you slap yourself over the head with it.

It took me a really long time to read this book. Twenty days to be exact. And yes I could say that I’ve been insanely busy lately, but I was just as busy when Queen Of Shadows released and that book had 600+ pages and I finished it in just a couple of days. So that’s no excuse. The book is mostly to blame. The beginning was reall/>/>ARC
St Stephen's C C
A small boy hiding in a cupboard witnesses something no child should ever see. He tries not to look but he still hears it. And when he comes out, there's no mistaking. His mum and dad have been killed. And though he's only small, he swears that he'll get revenge one day. Years later, Trey goes to a strange camp that is meant to save troubled teenagers. It's packed with crazies, god-botherers, devoted felons and broken kids. Trey's been in and out of trouble ever since the day the bad thing happe ...more
Lani
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Actual Rating: 3.5/5

The Light That Gets Lost is an intense and powerful story about friendship, loss, and fear. Trey arrives at Camp Kernow with a plan to kill the man who murdered his parents and maimed his brother. But when he settles in he realises that doing so will not be as easy as he originally thought, particularly when friendships start to get in the way.

I will admit that this book was a little hard to get into at first. The first chapter is intriguing but after that things
Rosy
Nov 03, 2015 rated it did not like it
This review was written for The Review Diaries
You can read the full review here

Thanks to Netgalley & Bloomsbury for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

I wasn’t sold on that blurb but I was at least curious, curious enough to want to pick it up and give it a go. However it ended up being a hodge podge story of problems, confusion and lacked any sort of direction or purpose.

The writing style is either going to draw you in or put you off. Run on sentences that take up hal/>Thanks
Alexandra
This book was sent to me by the publisher, Bloomsbury Children's, at no cost. It's on sale now; RRP $19.99.

The promo material that comes with this says it's for 12+ years. Me, I wouldn't give this to a 12 year old that you wouldn't give Lord of the Flies to - and I'm guessing that's most of them. It's been a while since I read Lord of the Flies but there are definite overtones of that scenario in Carthew's book, especially in the second half. I rather feel a kid would need to be a bi
Heather Lawson
Oct 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Originally posted here: https://heatherreviews.wordpress.com/...
_____________________________
I was really intrigued by the blurb for this story when I first came across it. I also liked the cover, it was eye-catching enough to make me interested enough to click it and see more. I wasn’t sure what to expect from this book when I first picked it up, and I’m still not really 100% sure how I feel about it now that I’ve read it.

When Trey was a young boy, he witnessed the murder of his parents in an attack that left his
Chloe
First of all I want to thank Goodreads first reads and the publisher Bloomsbury for sending me this book in exchange for an honest review.

This book is very difficult for me to review, I usually fly through books of any length in a matter of hours to a day or two. However it took around a month for me to finish The Light That Gets Lost.

Let me explain why, the first half of the book was slow, hard to get lost in and truthfully I felt bored and disconnected from the story. I
Geenie Edan
Apr 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: learning
The Light That Gets Lost is a story of accepting the future and letting go of the past. A book of hope found in the grimmest of places. Getting over fiery revenge and finding the light that gets lost.

When Trey was a child, his family was brutally murdered by a stranger. With nothing left to hold onto, he holds on to revenge. His demon is born. Starting the sparks to create a fire, his quest for vengeance begins.

Years later Trey enters a camp for broken teens. His plan is
TheCosyDragon
Nov 13, 2016 rated it did not like it

Trey’s family was shot by a religious figure while he hid in the cupboard. Years in and out of foster homes has seen Trey finally end up in a compound run by priests – where perhaps he will be able to find his parents’ killer and enact his revenge.

Despite starting out like a corrective detention redemption and revenge nove
Nadia
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book fails to deliver anything that it promises. Considering the genre, it’s so short to the point where it feels unfinished because 1) it leaves a lot of unanswered questions and 2) the story ventures from one plot to something completely other.

I didn’t particularly care for any of the characters, from the protagonist, Trey, to the kids he meets at the juvenile camp – irritating Lamby, love-interest(?) Kay and the mute twins whose names I honestly can’t remember. The only thing

• The Rise and Fall of a Theater Geek (Justin Goldblatt, #2)
  • If You Were Me
  • One True Thing
  • Instructions for the End of the World
  • The Bitches of Brooklyn
  • Lessons in Falling
  • Changeling (The Oddmire #1)
  • Liccle Bit
  • What Remains
  • Have a Little Faith in Me
  • Remember Me (Collective, #2)
  • Britain by the Book: A Curious Tour of Our Literary Landscape
  • Return to Bluebell Hill
  • The Iguana
  • The Library of Lost Things
  • The Largest Baby In Ireland After The Famine
  • Shadow of a Pug (Howard Wallace, P.I., #2)
  • Fort Ross (Heroes of the Fourth Dimension)
Natasha Carthew is a Country Writer from Cornwall where she lives with her girlfriend. She has written all her books outside, either in the fields and woodland that surround her home or in the cabin that she built from scrap wood. She has written two books of poetry, as well as three novels for young adults; Winter Damage, The Light That Gets Lost and Only the Ocean, all for Bloomsbury. Her first ...more