Start by marking “Waistcoats & Weaponry (Finishing School, #3)” as Want to Read:
Waistcoats & Weaponry (Finishing School, #3)

Waistcoats & Weaponry

(Finishing School #3)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  16,428 ratings  ·  1,762 reviews
It's one thing to waltz properly. It's quite another to waltz properly with a bladed fan stitched into one's corset.

Sophronia continues finishing school in style - with a range of deadly defences secreted in the folds of her ball gown, of course. Her fashionable choice of weapons comes in handy when Sophronia, her best friend Dimity, sweet sootie Soap and the c
Published November 2014 by ATOM

To ask other readers questions about Waistcoats & Weaponry, please sign up.
Sheralyn Soap rubs me the wrong way. He is too self deprecating and self important all at the same time that makes him too volatile for my tastes. I am team…moreSoap rubs me the wrong way. He is too self deprecating and self important all at the same time that makes him too volatile for my tastes. I am team Felix all the way. What girl does not want to be wooed with such finesse?(less)

·  16,428 ratings  ·  1,762 reviews

Skye (Skye's Scribblings)
Yet another thoroughly entertaining read from Miss Gail! This time Sophronia takes her team on a grand adventure where on their travels they get up to even greater mischief with even graver consequences. With the exciting twists at the end I'm eager to to read the final installment in the series, Manners & Mutiny, due out November 2015! Review to come.

Update: THE TIME HAS FINALLY COME - CURRENTLY READING *FLAILS*

I don't think I will ever need a book more than I need this one right now/>I/>Update:
Alexa
Nov 09, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, steampunk
Around 2.5 stars.

The first thing I noticed when I started this book is that I remember nothing about the last one. NOTHING.

I'm really not sure why I keep reading these books...

Oh, wait.

That's it. Carriger includes all kinds of gadgets and gizmos, and their descriptions are awesome! And it's quite funny in a fluffy mindless way... Yep. I'll probably end up reading the next one as well.

As for the book, the love triangle of the last book gets even more page time in this one; and like all love triangles it's incredibly
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
This is such a fun series. Like smile the whole way through and sit back and have fun kind of series.

From the names of the characters down to the shenanigans they get themselves involved in, it is just plain fun and the series is getting better and better as it goes.

This has elements in numerous genres that I simply adore from the paranormal steampunk to the historic side of it and the ragtag bunch of friends is by far the best part of it all.

Add in teachers that are alm
Ferdy
A pretty fun read. Enjoyed the Sidheag/Scottish pack plot that was going on, it was better than the transmitter/Picklemen arc, which was kind of dull. Liked Sophronia's friendships with Dimity/Sidheag/Agatha, it was best part of the story. Her antagonistic relationship with Monique was good too. Didn't much like Soap in this one, he was kind of irritating, Felix wasn't much better, he turned out to be a prick. I hope Sophronia doesn't end up with either of them. Looking forward to the final book ...more
Maria V. Snyder
Oct 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book 3 in the Finishing School series and I've been listening to these. I'm hooked and enjoying them very much - if you liked Gail Carriger's Parasol Protectorate series, this is very similar. The narrator does an excellent job which is why I've been listening - I wouldn't have the same experience if I read it myself.
Giovanna
Jul 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75

Didn't like it as much as the first two, but these books are always a fun read after all.

The Finishing School series is one of my favourite middle-grade series. That title goes to A Girl who circumnavigated Fairyland in a ship of her own making, but this series is extremely good even in what is, in my opinion, its worst installment. Waistcoats and Weaponry is a good book and it's worth four stars for sure, but at the same time I think it pales a little if compared to
Kaitlin
Sep 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is one I am still hugely enjoying and this book was once again filled to the brim with crazy escapades, funny moments and hilarious characters. I loved the way that we saw more in to the politics of the world with this story and, although there is some wacky adventure too, discussed some of the rivalries between supernaturals and humans in more detail.

Can I just say... How amazing is the bladed fan on the cover of the book? It's so bad-ass and it is used in the book to fi
Christine
I'm beyond excited for this book, you guys. beyond excited.

*THERE IS A COVER. AND IT IS BEAUTIFUL. *makes grabby hands towards the screen*
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Fortunately for us, Gail Carriger’s sense of humor seems to be as strong and sharp as ever as she keeps providing us with endless entertainment in this well-developed world. Waltzing with a bladed fan and using longing looks to seduce unsuspecting young evil geniuses are just some of the things our Sophronia has become quite skilled at in her years at Mademoiselle Geraldine’s Finishing Academy for Young Ladies of Quality.

The cast of characters is still as colorful as ever, although it sometimes
Althea Ann
Sep 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A delightful confection.

I really do enjoy these. I did think that the last in the series concentrated a bit heavily on the humor to the detriment of the slightly-rambling plot, but this one, I felt, struck the perfect balance.

Chaos has struck at the top levels of werewolf society, and Sophronia Temminnick's friend Sideagh wants to be by the side of her Pack. This requires running away from Miss Geraldine's Finishing School - and of course, her friends are bound to help he
Cora Tea Party Princess
Nov 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
5 Words: This series just gets better.

I just can't bring myself to review this book. How can I? It was so good!

Again and again, Gail Carriger exceeds expectations with her books, building the most fantastical worlds.
K.
Trigger warnings: violence, blood, gun violence, (view spoiler)

17/6/2019
Sticking with 4.5 stars. This is a delight from start to finish and I need to reread book 4 IMMEDIATELY. Everything I've said in the past stands.

9/9/2016
This book. THIS BOOK. It's ridiculously fast paced - I read it in like two hours. The characters are wonderful - I love where Sidheag's story goes and how c
Ian
Sophronia and the gang are all back and doing...well not very much really.

I guess the basic premise of this story is Sidheag needs to return to her home in Scotland where the clan of werewolves she calls her family are going to be punished for a supposed plot against Queen Victoria. They don't actually get there and in thinking about it, I'm not entirely sure that anything actually happened in this book.

Still, likeable characters and witty banter somehow gloss over the lack of any real substan
Faye*
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Again, I just love this series, it's so fun and entertaining and the characters are great. There is really not much else to be said about this except that I'm seriously upset that the last instalment is not available on Audible. :(

Ashley
All right, I liked this one quite a bit. I'm invested in the series now. But I'm still only giving this 3.5 stars, rounded up, because it shouldn't take you two books to be emotionally invested. I should have been in like Flynn after book one. Anyway, I finished this book in a frenzy and immediately wanted the next one (which I'm not getting to until next month, sadface), so that's a great sign.

Sophronia and Co. are halfway through their second year at Madame Geraldine's Finishing Sc
Simon Brading
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A couple of nice twists in this one, but it's still quite predictable. Just as well it's so entertaining!
Booknut
**Check out the original review with added content over at 21st Century Once Upon A Times**
"Sovereign, sovereigns, or seduction," said Sidheag calmly, before Sophronia could stop her.

Dimity nodded in agreement. "It's our second lessons after the school motto: Ut acerbus terminus."
Felix looked confused. "What does it mean?"

"'To the bitter end,'" said Sophronia.
'
Return to a world of steel-bladed fans and floating dirigibles.

As Sophronia continues her second year at Mademoiselle Geraldine's Finishing AcaSophronia.'Return/>Sovereign,
Jess (Primrose)
Wow. This series has tanked so badly. Like crashing and burning tanking. The only saving grace for this book was the superb narration by Moira Quirk. Quirk's delightful voice and splendid variety of accents make for easy listening. Which was good in my case, as the story was horrendous.

The main character has become a shell of the vibrant, curious young lady we met in the first book. Now she is arrogant, entitled, fickle, and a tease with her young men in the "love" triangle. My god. I wanted
Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten*
On par with the first two books. Lots of action, a bit of a vampire detour on the werewolf trip, and a tedious love triangle (I really don't know anyone anymore that actually enjoys love triangles, do you?) Overall I liked this one, as I said, as much as the others. Moira's narration is fantastic, as always.
Sophie
Aug 05, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, 2014-books
I think it's time to admit that this series just isn't for me. The first 2 books were entertaining enough, but this was a frustrating read. The first half I didn't care enough that when I set the book down, I felt no need to pick it up again. The second half, I was pretty angry with the plot.

The problem is that the book is just too sarcastic and glib in a way that makes it hard to care about the characters or the plot at all. It's not even that funny. It's book 3 and I still feel lik
Wiebke (1book1review)
Honestly I can't say what this book was about. The story seems to be only about Sophronia discovering her romantic interests.

The writing was lovely as usual, but the lack of story makes it rather slow and also I found myself annoyed with Sophronia and her analytical handling of love interests. For one I don't think it's about feelings for her, but more about what can I gain from a relationship, very rational, which goes along with her training, but feels somewhat weird.
Also the
Sanaa
[5 Stars] This book was by far the best in Gail Carriger's Finishing School series so far! I loved Sophronia's character development, and I think we got to see so much emotion from her. The language and dialogue is as fun and witty as ever, and honestly this series just keeps getting better and better. The final book in this series just became one of my most anticipated reads!
Jenny (Reading Envy)
I really love Carriger books of any variety in audio, and they are my go-to companions for long drives. This book really carries the story forward - for the most part it takes place outside of the "finishing school" and moves the lives of the characters closer to adulthood. Career decisions are made, alliances are defined, and romantic entanglements intensify. Very fun.
Melissa
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Agnė
Dec 06, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dedicated fans of the Finishing School series
WHAT IS IT ABOUT?

“Waistcoats & Weaponry” by Gail Carriger is the third installment in the young adult steampunk series Finishing School. Sophronia, now sixteen years old, continues her training in etiquette and espionage at Mademoiselle Geraldine’s Finishing Academy for Young Ladies of Quality, a giant floating dirigible school for intelligencers. When Sophronia’s friend Sidheag receives bad news from home and wants to return to Scotland, Sophronia, her mechanimal Bumbersnoot, Sophronia’s
Jessica
This was just fan-fricking-tastic. Even though it's been a while since I read Curtsies & Conspiracies, it was easy to fall back into the characters and setting without feeling like there was an infodump. I highlighted so many great turns of phrase while reading, because Carriger knows how to walk the fine line between humor and prissy Victoriana perfectly.

The plot moves quickly, following a werewolf power struggle as well as a massive impromptu mechanicals revolt (nothing more fr
Danyelle
3.5

Bit slow at some parts but still fun
Lauren Stoolfire
I love where this series is going. The audiobook production is great by the way.
Dark Faerie Tales
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: For fans of this steampunk series, comes the action packed third book and it packs quite a punch.

Opening Sentence: “Funambulist,” Sophronia Temminnick, “quite suddenly.”

The Review:

Sophronia and the girls are back in book three. Sidheag disappears after receiving a letter from home, and at an engagement ball Sophronia gets involved with trying to help her figure out the whole situation. The were
Whenever I'm in the mood for something light hearted and fun to read I know I can't go wrong with one of the books in Gail Carriger's Finishing School series. These stories are all delightfully whimsical, the characters are great and I can never wait to see what kind of trouble Sophronia finds herself in next. She's definitely not your typical young lady but I mean that in the best possible way and I love how independent she is and the way she's always so determined to find out the truth of what's going o ...more

• The Queen Is Dead (The Immortal Empire, #2)
  • Her Own Devices (Magnificent Devices, #2)
  • A Study in Ashes (The Baskerville Affair, #3)
  • The Red Plague Affair (Bannon & Clare, #2)
  • The Janus Affair (Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences, #2)
  • Heart of Steel (Iron Seas, #2)
  • Moonlight & Mechanicals (Gaslight Chronicles, #4)
  • A Clockwork Heart (The Chronicle of Light and Shadow, #2)
  • The Girl with the Iron Touch (Steampunk Chronicles, #3)
  • The Clockwork Wolf (Disenchanted & Co., #2)
  • The Omega Objection (San Andreas Shifters, #2)
Gail Carriger writes comedies of manners mixed with paranormal romance (and the sexy San Andreas Shifter series as G L Carriger). Her books include the Parasol Protectorate and the Finishing School series. She is published in many languages and has over a dozen NYT bestsellers. She was once an archaeologist and is fond of shoes, octopuses, and tea. Join the Chirrup for sneak peaks of upcoming gigg ...more

Finishing School (4 books)
  • Etiquette & Espionage (Finishing School, #1)
  • Curtsies & Conspiracies (Finishing School, #2)
  • Manners & Mutiny (Finishing School, #4)
“That's a very murky position," objected Felix.
"So's the weather. But this is England, we must learn to live with uncertainty.”
28 likes
“I simply feel that world domination is not my cup of tea. Is that shortsighted?” 17 likes