Start by marking “Boy Meets Girl (Boy, #2)” as Want to Read:
Boy Meets Girl (Boy, #2)

Boy Meets Girl (Boy #2)

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  26,017 Ratings  ·  1,088 Reviews
This latest adult novel by the prolific Cabot (she's responsible for the über-popular Princess Diaries franchise) unfolds, like 2002's The Boy Next Doo r, entirely through e-mails, journals, instant messages, phone mail, deposition transcripts, notes scribbled on menus, to-do lists and other hallmarks of a modern girl's life. Kate Mackenzie, an idealistic HR representative ...more
Published February 17th 2009 by Turtleback Books (first published January 6th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Boy Meets Girl, please sign up.
Tanzila Abedin It's a very good book. No one can regret reading this or thinking it was a waste of time to read this. It won't matter how much you love this book or…moreIt's a very good book. No one can regret reading this or thinking it was a waste of time to read this. It won't matter how much you love this book or not but you will not regret reading this book. It had me laughing until my tummy hurt. It's also unique in terms of writing style. Not to mention it's a cute love story. :)(less)
Cori Ilardi I read them out of order. I read Every Boy's Got One, then Boy Meets Girl, then the Boy Next Door. There are certain side characters that appear…moreI read them out of order. I read Every Boy's Got One, then Boy Meets Girl, then the Boy Next Door. There are certain side characters that appear throughout the books, but there's nothing major that you won't understand by reading out of order!(less)

kamxx
Jan 16, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One thing that struck me most is when the father of the Hortzags said: “..I can see how this information might be upsetting to some of you. However, I had a near death experience a year ago, and it taught me one thing: Don’t waste your time on astupid shit. And frankly, all I seem to hear from some of you people is stupid shit.

“..Now I would appreciate it if you would all quit calling me, e-mailing me, FedExing me, faxing me, and leaving messages for me at the hotel desk. I am on VACATION. I wil
Keris
Feb 24, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ten pages into this book and I was ready to give up. But I persevered and found myself getting into it despite myself. The most important thing to realise before starting this is that it's not a novel. That is to say there are no chapters and no dialogue. Instead, the entire book is made up of letters, emails, transcripts of instant message conversations, minutes from meetings, diary entries and just about anything else that can be put down on paper.

If you're not expecting this clever style of c
Nov 24, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, romance
In a continuing "series*" of modern epistolary romances, we have added IM conversations to the mix, and journals kept mostly on scrap paper. Again we have a recently jilted protagonist who bumps into an extremely eligible bachelor only in this book, over the course of a fortnight they interact maybe four times for maybe an hour each time. But they still manage to fall madly and deeply in love, overcoming several obstacles (each of them dealing with their families and their work, but not particul ...more
Anne
Jul 19, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a fan of Meg Cabot, I know that her books can be funny at times, but I was surprised at the number of times I actually laughed out loud while reading this book.

Although this is definitely a stand-alone book, I did appreciate the return of several characters from Boy Next Door in minor roles as well as the chance to see just how vile Amy Johnson (unlike most of the HR professionals I know) really is.

I also appreciated the diary entries (some of which were very creatively written between the li
Nic
Jun 24, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nic by: Arlene Sweet
Shelves: 2010, adult, romance-awww
This book left me in a really good mood. It was a light hearted, fun and entertaining romantic comedy that had me laughing out loud several times.

It is the first book I have read that is written entirely in the form of emails, journal entries, receipts, instant messaging, menus, memos, dispositions and receipts and I was suprised at how well it worked. The story was easy to follow and it didn't lack details despite it's format. This book had a huge cast of characters. Sometimes when there are s
Mela
[Small edit: I forgot to add that in this piece there was a brilliant example of a terrible text of song. Really horrible. It could be used as an example in lessons ;-) I copy it at the end of the review.]

It was funny and entertaining like the whole series but I have found it a little less witty than the two previous books. I am not sure why. But still, it deserves four stars.

Like with all books of the series, The most important thing to realise before starting this is that it's not a novel. Tha
Sophie (Blame Chocolate)
Meg Cabot is an old acquaintance of mine. She features in my bookshelves ever since I was in my tweens, with The Princess Diaries. At the time I found her phenomenal but that feeling has since died down.

Not to say I don't appreciate her writing. Her young adult/adult novels are some of the most entertaining that I've read. But that's as much as it goes: entertaining. Most of what she writes is predictably witty and funny; there are usually some little plot twists that allow one to fantasize over
Arlene
Apr 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Boy Meets Girl is the first book I've read by Meg Cabot, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Typically, books written in the form of letters between characters do not appeal to me, but this book was cleverly designed and I couldn't help but fall into the storyline and be captivated from the get go. It is a compilation of emails, journal entries, voice mail messages, transaction receipts, deposition transcripts, memos and corporate communications between over a dozen characters. You would think with th ...more
Sara
As the first book in the series, this novel is written as a modern epistolary. With texts and emails exchanges, notes, letters, and reports.
I loved the second book in the boys series. It is just as witty, fun, and smart as the first one. The epistolary interactions were so clever and fun to read.
The only missing part, compared to the first book at least, was maybe a bit of a mystery to solve. I also did not care for the recipes.
Mrs. Lopez shenanigans about pie distribution were hilarious.

Overall
Kaethe
Boy Meets Girl - Meg Cabot 16 Apr 2004
1 May 2016

These books do not particularly embed themselves deep into my psyche; I have, in fact, forgotten even the broad plotline. But reading them delights me. The are funny, they are charming, they beguile an hour or two which might otherwise be fraught with angst or sadness.

Library copy
Freckles
zboznuju meg cabotovou. kdybych mela byt objektivni, jsou to spis 4*, ale kdyz ja se tak bavila, ze proste nemam chut byt objektivni ;-)
HeyT
May 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel like this book is the very definition of Your Fave Is Problematic

I really had fun reading this but omg so much trans/homophobia and antisemitism. Granted most of it stemmed from the "villains" but it is definitely hard to overlook in a book that is supposed to be light and fun. It was great to see some of the supporting cast from The Boy Next Door make an appearance in a different way. I liked Kate and Mitch and all the goofy people they worked and interacted with. But the blatant isms to
Kaitlyn
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Will always give this book five stars because it is lighthearted and a super quick read.
Abby♡Reading
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vidumini Pamuditha
Jun 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
*4.5* stars

Boy Meets Girl is yet another amazing book written by Meg Cabot. I really haven't read a book that is written in the form of e-mails,IMs, Voice Messages and Notices before except for Love Letters to the Dead which I haven't still finished yet. So, I think this my first ever finished book of that type. It really grabbed my attention from the first page itself. I loved this book so much. Really enjoyed it!!! Way to go Meg Cabot!
Shannon
Mar 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I was so confused in the beginning, I thought that Meg Cabot would continue the story of the first book so I thought I was reading the wrong book. I really enjoyed reading this book but only the e-mail format would have been better.
Candice
Nov 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sooooooo cute! I love books like these!
Morgan
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this one much more than the first book in the series. However, this is a companion novel, so we saw many of the same characters. Which in my opinion was a GREAT decision!! We saw much more of Stacy and she has become my favorite character, with Dolly close behind. I loved Kate and Jen, they were the epitome of best friends. It doesn't hurt that they are big Charmed fans (we are ALL salivating over Cole Turner). The crazy Hertzog family was also a nice addition. Mitch and Stacy's conver ...more
Emir Ibañez
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amé de principio a fin, Meg Cabot jamás decepciona a la hora de escribir novelas ágiles, divertidas y con muchísimos enredos.
Sarah Hadd
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Better than the first one as it wasn’t all emails - this book included emails, instant messaging (old school 😄), journal entries, etc. It broke up the monotony a bit more!
Carla
Jan 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
In whichever angle, this is definitely not The Book for guys. xD

It is, however, the perfect mirror for women. Everything about this book is just silly girlish. I swear if it isn't about anything a woman undergoes through then I'm not sure I'm a woman myself. By that, I mean EXes, soon-to-be-boyfriends, fiancees, and girl bestfriends combined with life and conflict rolled into a single book of pure and non-stop gossip. Top that.

As a matter of fact, I unexpectedly liked it.

Meg Cabot - the very s
Jenna Burks
SPOILER ALERT
Genre- Realistic Fiction
To me this book's theme is love. The book is about a girl Kate and she works for this newspaper place, whatever they are called. Ida Lopez just got fired for not letting Stuart Hertzog have a piece of her homemade delicious goodness. Kate has been with her boyfriend Dale for ten years, then he starts his own band and he breaks up with Kate. Well, Kate breaks up with him. In the midst of all of this Stuart Hertzog is newly engaged to Amy Jenkins. Soon after Ka
MJ
Jan 18, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to MJ by: The complete Idiots guide to the Ultimate reading list
You might know the name Meg Cabot from the Princess Diaries series but this book is nothing like Princess Diaries. It centers around Kate who is working as an HR rrep for a New York Newspaper called The Journal. She has a horrible boss and works with her best friend Jen. Her boss Amy asks her to fire the most popular person at the Newspaper Ida (the desserts cart lady). Ida refuses to serves desserts to people she thinks doesnot deserve them (mainly Amy's boyfriend Stuart who is also cheif legal ...more
Juwi
May 14, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

this book is so cute.

i can totally imagine me being like Kate in a few years stressing over jobs and what am i doing with my life etc and being hella awkward around cute guys.

THIS BOOK COMES WITH RECIPES WHICH I AM SO GOING TO TRY OUT ESPECIALLY THE COOKIES RECIPE OMG.

so if you've read Guy Next Door by Meg Cabot then it is very similair...it's an office setting and it's written through emails and journal entries and yeah it's pretty funny and really cute and yeah it's predictable but
Trisha
May 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
what a wonderful guilty pleasure. I absolutely LOVED this fun little read. the instant chat conversations, letters, emails~ they were just a wonderful and interesting way to read a book. And I loved the main characters. I love that she was sassy and loved and caring. I loved the dialogue between mitch and his 2 sisters and Kate and her Best Friend. All so funny.
Drishi
Ha. I had forgotten how awesome and entertaining Cabot's books are.

Boy Meets Girl was hilarious. it had me laughing my ass off and it's been a while since I've read a funny book.

the story was okay But the writing style got me because it was so easy to read. I read it in one day itself, it was that easy and fast paced.

witty characters with a sense of humour made this book a thrill to read.
Michelle
Another fun, fast, easy read! I wish it had been more of a sequel to The Boy Next Door, but at least the characters were worked into this book a little.
The writing was interesting because of the different mediums: email, IM, memo, etc. A little cheesy at times, but still a cute book. 3.5 stars.
Deyse
The romance was less bantery and more on the instalove side of things but this is still a Meg Cabot book so it was a fun and quick read, great for when you're in bed with a cold like I'm right now.
Mary
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't help it!!!! I love cheesy epistolary novels!! And I love Meg Cabot!! And I loved this book!
Goodreads Librari...: Run together description in "Boy Meets Girl" 2 22 Jul 16, 2013 05:30PM
Meg Cabot Fan Club: Boy Meets Girl 1 4 Feb 04, 2012 05:21PM
YA and Teen books!: Boy Meets Girl by Meg Cabot 1 1 Jan 21, 2012 06:48AM
  • Educating Caroline
  • Society Girls
  • Rites of Spring (Break) (Secret Society Girl, #3)
  • A Girl's Best Friend
  • Bachelorette #1
  • Why Girls Are Weird
  • I Did (But I Wouldn't Now) (Crandell Sisters, #2)
  • Holly's Inbox : Scandal in the City (Holly's Inbox #2)
  • As Seen on TV
  • Faking It (Dempseys, #2)
  • Girls' Night Out
  • According to Jane
  • School of Fortune
  • Lost & Found
  • The Cinderella Rules (Glass Slipper, Inc., #1)
  • The Nine Month Plan
  • If Andy Warhol Had a Girlfriend

More about Meg Cabot

Boy (4 books)
  • The Boy Next Door (Boy, #1)
  • Every Boy's Got One (Boy, #3)
  • The Boy Is Back (Boy, #4)

Romance Deals

• Wild Kisses (Wildwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Dangerous Engagement (The Regency Spies of London, #3)
  • Trouble in Paradise
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Staying For Good (Most Likely To, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Miss Fortune (Lear Family Trilogy #3)
  • Almost Like Love
  • Party Girl
  • Cross My Heart
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Grave Secrets (Rogue River #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Married by Monday (The Weekday Brides, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • If I Didn't Know Better (The Callaways #9)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Beauty Queen (Lear Family Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Life After Wife (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #3)
  • Incentive
    $3.99 $1.99
  • It Started With a Kiss (Sequoia Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fiancé by Friday (The Weekday Brides, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Savage Urges (The Phoenix Pack, #5)
  • The Color of Water in July
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Knight Avenged (Circle of Seven, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taken by Tuesday (The Weekday Brides, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • A Forever Thing (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead in Her Tracks (Rogue Winter, #2)
  • Flirting with Felicity
  • Long, Hot Texas Summer
  • You'll Think of Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Lily Love
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Forever is the Worst Long Time
    $4.99 $1.99
  • True to the Highlander (Loch Moigh #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet as Sin (Bad Habit, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dollmaker (The Forgotten Files, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fifth Grave Past the Light (Charley Davidson, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Shameless (White Lies Duet #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Burn for You (Slow Burn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Be Mine Forever (St. Helena Vineyard, #4)
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Lake (Sweet Lake #1)
  • The Barefoot Summer
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Smart Girl (The Girl's #3)
  • Falling Together
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Warrior's Revenge
  • Lily's White Lace
    $4.49 $1.99
  • A Viscount's Proposal (The Regency Spies of London, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fear For Me: A Novel of the Bayou Butcher (For Me, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Things I Can't Forget (Hundred Oaks, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Break Me (Corrupted Hearts, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Shark (Forgotten Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Black and Green (The Ghost Bird, #11)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Wager
  • Enrage (Eagle Elite )
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Spiral of Need (The Mercury Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Treasured by Thursday (The Weekday Brides, #7)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Infraction (Players Game, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fated (Dark Protectors, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Material Girl (The Fancy Lives of the Lear Sisters, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Summer in Napa (St. Helena Vineyard, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Devil's Daughter (Hidden Sins #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fraternize (Players Game, #1)
  • P.S. from Paris
  • The Rules of Regret
    $3.99 $1.99
  • In Shining Whatever (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Follow Me (Corrupted Hearts, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Girl (The Girl's Series Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lost and Found Sisters (Wildstone, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Trouble with Tomboys (Tommy Creek #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All There Is (Juniper Hills, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul and Blade (Blood and Bone, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • To Win Her Favor (Belle Meade Plantation #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Nobody's Baby But Mine (Chicago Stars, #3)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Delta: Redemption (Delta, #3)
  • The Curiosity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dealing Double (Heartbreaker, #2)
  • Spin (Spin, #1)
    $7.74 $0.99
  • On Her Father's Grave (Rogue River #1)
  • Before Goodbye
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Blood and Bone (Blood and Bone, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Hot Shot (Hostile Operations Team, #5)
  • The Way Life Should Be: A Novel
    $11.74 $1.99
  • The Yellow Rose Beauty Shop (Cadillac, Texas #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Force of Temptation (Mercury Pack, #2)
  • Wildalone
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hard to Let Go (Hard Ink, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Darkest Torment (Lords of the Underworld #12)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Lady Bridget's Diary (Keeping Up with the Cavendishes, #1)
  • What to Say Next
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Fury of Surrender (Dragonfury, #6)
  • Map of the Heart
  • By Your Side
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Twisted Truths (Blood Brothers, #3)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Riveted (Saints of Denver, #3)
  • The Memory Book
  • Holding Up the Universe
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Forever with You (Wait for You, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Tear Us Apart (Never, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Forbidden (Old West #1)
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Locked in Temptation (The Protectors #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Van (Cold Fury Hockey, #9)
  • If There's No Tomorrow
  • The Love Letters of Abelard and Lily
  • Words in Deep Blue
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Runaway Vampire (Argeneau, #23)
  • Secrets of the Tulip Sisters
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Any Dream Will Do
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Comfort of Secrets (Sweet Lake #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fierce Obsessions (The Phoenix Pack, #6)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • It's In His Heart (Red River Valley, #1)
  • Wicked Angel
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Somewhere in France: A Novel of the Great War
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Autumn in the Vineyard (St. Helena Vineyard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From the Moment We Met (St. Helena Vineyard, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Beard Made Me Do It (The Dixie Warden Rejects MC #5)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Midnight Secrets (Wildefire, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Wind Dancer (Wind Dancer, #1)
  • Dead Wrong (Dead #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
“So Uncle Stuart is marrying that lady? Mom says she's going to be our aunt Amy. She's okay except she would't try any peanut butter M&M chocolate chip fudge cookies. They were good- you ate five, remember? But she said she was on a special diet, and couldn't eat something called carbs. We told her we didn't put any carbs in our cookies, just M&Ms, but she said M&Ms were carbs.
Uncle Mitch, what's carbs?
email to Uncle Mitch from Haily and Brittany”
47 likes
“What is the sound of one hand clapping? What is the weight of a single grain of sand? The answer is equal to my interest in the message you are about to leave so make it short. -- Mitch Hertzog's voice mail message.” 26 likes