Start by marking “Mystery at the Manor (Cherringham, #2)” as Want to Read:
Mystery at the Manor (Cherringham, #2)

Mystery at the Manor

(Cherringham #2)

Digital Series. Episode 2:

The elderly owner of Mogdon Manor, Victor Hamblyn, dies in a mysterious fire. But was it really an accident? Jack and Sarah are skeptical - The victim's three middle-aged children, who all live in the village of Cherringham, are possible heirs. And possible murderers - Did one of them set the fire?

"Cherringham - A Cosy Crime Series" is a series
Published January 16th 2014 by Bastei Entertainment

Start your review of Mystery at the Manor (Cherringham, #2)
Ingie
Review written June 12, 2017

3.3 Stars - Simply short and terrific mystery cozily as expected

Book #2 in the Cherringham cozy crime solves serial. See my review for the first three-part audiobooks box, Cherringham #1-3: A Cosy Crime Series Compilation. — 2:30 hours narrated by Neil Dudgeon.

I LIKE - easy listenings
Shiloah
Mar 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Entertaining and enjoyable. Great short mystery. I’m enjoying this series.
Amina
Apr 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Sarah and Jack team up again when Hope (Sarah's friend) is suspicious about her patient's death when his old manor catches fire and he is found dead in the attic, the only place no one has set foot for a long time.
That was a good one, just one little remark: how come the police never gets in the team's way?
Liz Barnsley
Jan 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Digital Series. Episode 2:
The elderly owner of Mogdon Manor, Victor Hamblyn, dies in a mysterious fire. But was it really an accident? Jack and Sarah are skeptical – The victim’s three middle-aged children, who all live in the village of Cherringham, are possible heirs. And possible murderers – Did one of them set the fire?
“Cherringham – A Cosy Crime Series” is a series of twelve self-contained episodes. A new case for Jack and Sarah is released each month.

So its back into the fray for Jack and
Karen
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
An old manor house catches fire and it's owner, Victor, is found dead in the attic. Is it all accidental or is it murder? That's what Jack and Sarah set out to discover when Sarah's friend Hope, carer for Victor, senses that something is wrong with the whole setup. Firstly, why would the wonky electrics in the library catch fire when the library is rarely, if ever, used? Secondly, why would Victor be found upstairs from his bedroom in the attic when he had time to get downstairs after he had cal ...more
Kathleen Roberts
Jun 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Charming sleuths, good clean fun

I would have given this four stars - I really like the characters a lot, and the story was pretty good - but the writing is just a little bit clunky. My parents recommended this to me, they listen to them as audio books and I bet that works a bit better than reading them. I will get more of these though, they are a nice way to pass the time and also I get to travel in my mind to the Cotswolds (till the day I can get back there for real).
Carole
Mar 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love this cosy mystery crime series.

This is the second in the series. In the first one we're introduced to the unlikely partnership of retired NYPD homicide detective Jack and Sarah who's just returned back to her hometown of Cherringham following her divorce.

Here, they're investigating the suspicious death of an elderly man in his run-down manor who had a 'forbidden room' in the attic where he was found following a mysterious fire.

All his children thought they would inherit and they all had m
Toni
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 Stars

Jack Brennan and Sarah Edwards are back for book two in this captivating series. Jack is former NYPD and Sarah is a web designer. Somehow they keep stumbling across murder in their little hamlet in England.

I find this series intriguing because it is unconventional. The text flows well and the characters are spot on and we really come to care about them. That is a mark of a great writer. It doesn’t matter that this book is not very long. You come away with a great satisfaction when readin
Martin Waight
May 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a very nice, compact, readable story. In the style of a modern day "Inspector Morse" the episodes make you want to read more. Thank you to the writer and publisher for the chance to provide an unbiased review. ...more
Lorrie
Aug 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a fun, short, "cozy" mystery read. It almost felt as if I was reading a script from Murder, She Wrote. Very enjoyable... ...more
Pamela
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another lovely British village mystery. A quick read but delightfully English.
Nancy
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love these short stories. Jack and Sarah are teaming up again to figure out if one of Victor Hamblyn’s children set the fire that took his life. What they did not expect to find was that old Vic had a buried secret of his own.

To back up, Victor Hamblyn, the owner of Mogdon Manor needs a bit of help around the house, the chair lift was not his idea, but the stairs are getting to be too difficult to maneuver on his own. So one evening after his caregiver has gone home, Victor rides up to his bed
John Lee
Aug 02, 2019 rated it liked it
After just reading the first of the series, I was eager to get on to the next. Whereas the first was a short story, I had the idea from somewhere that this was going to be full length.

Unfortunately this was not the case.

It appears that I have stumbled across a series of short stories and although I am not a fast reader had finished this one in a couple of hours. In the right place I can see, as a short story thats an easy and enjoyable read, it fitting in well and I will keep the next one handy
Kimberly Reads Books
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, mysteries
The books in this series are definitely quick reads, but they pack quite a bit into a small package. This book featured a mystery involving a secret in a mysterious attic of an old manor house after the owner died during a suspicious fire. I loved the classic cozy feel of the story and the small village setting. I just found the audiobooks on Amazon that are narrated by Neil Dudgon (Midsomer Murders) and will be looking into purchasing them.
Pinky
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-19
I like the duo of web designer Sarah and ex-pat cop Jack. Another nice mystery, this time designed to solve the mysterious fire that took the life of an elderly man living alone in a rambling manor. Instead of going down the stairs to flee the fire, the man was found up in the attic. Why did he go up there? His three quarreling children are more concerned with redeveloping the manor property than what really happened to their father.
Jan
Mar 23, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice, short, and logical investigation into the fire and death at a crumbling old manor house. Jack is former NYPD and Sarah is a divorced mother of two employed in her own business. Together they investigate gratis at the request of an old friend. Good plot with plenty of red herrings and interesting characters. Amazing conclusion!
Neil Dudgeon is the comfortably laid back narrator.
Ed Napiorkowski
The second in this series is consistent with the first, nice extension of characters and the same pace and flow of storyline. Like others have suggested these books read a bit like a Miss Marple TV episode. Easy going, well structured and enjoyable. Three stars from me.
David Casler
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Engaging

Fast paced story and thoroughly likable main characters. Can't wait to start the next book in the series! Any "cozy" fan will enjoy this series.
Sara
Nov 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: audios-owned
Another enjoyable novella in this mystery series.
Denise
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads
3.5 stars. Fun series.
John
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
It was okay, good to pass the time and light, at least audio-book wise.
Nikki
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Narrator is great and nice cozy mystery.
Meggie
The mystery around a fire in Mogdon Manor was witty, well written and enjoyable. Once again superbly narrated by Neil Dudgeon.
Kataklicik
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun series...!
Nikki
Oct 19, 2018 rated it liked it
I did not enjoy this one as much. But was still ok
Lori
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enjoying this series. A nice, light comfort read. Enjoyable without being too graphic or silly.
Susanne (Pages of Crime)
Another quick, and simple, read but nothing outstanding.
Ann W
Mar 07, 2019 rated it liked it
A bit shorter than the 1st but I'm really liking these characters. 3 stars, for me. ...more
Danielle Gosson
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
great short stories, I am really liking this series
« previous 1 3 next »

• Mord vid Themsen
  • Danger in the Air
  • A Shot in the Dark (Mydworth Mysteries  #1)
  • Sweet Revenge (Bunburry  #7)
  • Drop Dead, Gorgeous (Bunburry #5)
  • Murder in High Places (Bunburry #6)
  • A Taste of Murder (Bunburry #3)
  • Death of a Ladies' Man (Bunburry #4)
  • Murder at the Mousetrap (Bunburry #1)
  • A Murderous Ride (Bunburry #2)
  • Sheep Secrets (Bunburry #8)
  • Deadlier than Fiction (Bunburry #9)
  • Knappt en droppe blod
  • Sinners and Saints (Bunburry #10)
  • Löparen
  • Hallowed Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #5)
  • Blodspengar (Singö, #5)
  • Tee? Kaffee? Mord! - Der doppelte Monet (Nathalie Ames ermittelt #1)

Cherringham (1 - 10 of 38 books)
  • Murder on Thames (Cherringham, #1)
  • Murder by Moonlight (Cherringham, #3)
  • Thick as Thieves (Cherringham, #4)
  • Last Train to London (Cherringham, #5)
  • The Curse of Mabb's Farm (Cherringham, #6)
  • The Body in the Lake (Cherringham, #7)
  • Snowblind (Cherringham, #8)
  • Playing Dead (Cherringham, #9)
  • A Deadly Confession (Cherringham, #10)
  • Blade in the Water (Cherringham, #11)

News & Interviews