Start by marking “The Roman” as Want to Read:
The Roman

The Roman

ROME AD 79

The one woman he ever loved was the one woman who betrayed him.

And now, the Roman will have his revenge…

Six years have passed since that day, and Marsallas has since thrown himself into the deadly world of chariot racing, gaining fortune, fame, and a
Kindle Edition
Published February 20th 2014 by HarperImpulse

To ask other readers questions about The Roman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Roman

Erin
What an emotional ride! Caroline Storer really made you feel Marsallas' confusion and hate, Justina's love and despair and everything in between. And not to mention *that* scene in the baths! Hot on MANY levels..!

The historical background and context is light-touch but assured. Often historical fiction can easily jolt me out of the story - I'm a history blogger - and anachronisms can drive me up the wall. None of that here, Caroline clearly knows her stuff, but she doesn't allow the exotic imper
Michelle Styles
Mar 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Lovely debut by an author whose love of the time period shines through. It is a very exciting tale of a successful charioteer Marsallas and how he learns to love the woman who once betrayed him.
If you enjoy adventure and heart breaking romance (with a more than a hint of steam) with an accurate historical setting, you will love this tale. I look forward to reading more books by this author.
Sue
Apr 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Set against the backdrop of Roman times this was a great debut novel from Caroline Storer. The author's knowledge of this era was evident and gave an authentic feel to the novel.

I totally fell in love with Marsallas - he was intense and brooding. Justina was determined, resilient and kind. The depth of emotion, passion and conflict between them was really captured as they met up again after several years apart. I really enjoyed Caroline's style of writing and will certainly read more from her.
Wendy Jones
Mar 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, historical
Fabulous tale of deception and desire. Roman charioteers, volcanoes, freedom won and lost, who could want for more? Loved it!
Under The Cover
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
Come check out the reviews on my blog Under The Cover

I was asked by the author to read this book in exchange of an honest review.

The plot was interesting. A betrayed hero, a selfless heroine, an undying love that conquers everything. I mean, it held promise. But there were a number of things that bothered me.

The first one (and main one as well) was that there were a lot of typos. I spent the first three chapters correcting them in my head and then I just decided to try and just ignore them.
Maria
Mar 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As a lover of historical fiction, I was thrilled when I discovered my writing colleague Caroline Storer had released a genre. And I was curious too. Well, I wasn’t disappointed.

Caroline has a perfect voice for the historical genre and has the unique ability to create authentic historical characters to whom the modern reader can relate. Not at all easy.

The ancient Roman empire was renowned for making advances in western civilization, carrying on from the legacy of the ancient Greeks. But unfortun
Sarah-Jayne Briggs
Mar 07, 2014 rated it liked it
(I received a free copy of this book from HarperCollins UK, HarperImpules, through NetGalley, in exchange for a review).

(This review may contain spoilers).

When I originally requested this book through NetGalley, I had very little idea of what to expect. I guessed it was a romance, but I had no idea about any of the details just from the front cover and the blurb.

I have a few mixed feelings about this book. Ideally, it should be 3.5 stars, but, well...

The characters and storyline in this book wer
Jane Hunt
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it

The Roman by Caroline Storer

Jane Hunt Writer First Steps

Jane Hunt Writer Book Reviews Google+

'The Roman' is a powerful love story about betrayal and second chances. Written using modern language with well placed historical references it gives the reader a taste of Ancient Rome without slowing the pace of the story.

Marsallas and Justina are characters typical of the time period made memorable because they break away from their expected life paths to find fulfilment. Justina's artistic talent saves her from madness tied to
Janice Ross
May 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
"The Roman" is filled with so much passion and raw desires. It is an intense historical fiction story with a testament of the power of true love. Marsallas and Justina's chance at happiness was ripped away very early on in their lives. The author did a splendid job of unravelling their story so well. Based on the blurb and the early portions of the story, I was initially angry with Justina for hurting Marsallas when they were young. But each time they were in each other's presence, the emotions ...more
Caroline Storer
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Hi. I'm the author. Thanks for stopping by.

The Roman...The one woman he ever loved was the one woman who betrayed him. And now, the Roman will have his revenge… Marsallas and Justina were young, beautiful and desperately in love once, until a tragic betrayal tore them apart. Six years have passed since that day and Marsallas has since thrown himself into the deadly world of chariot racing, gaining fortune, fame, and a salacious reputation throughout Rome. His bed is kept warm by a different woma
Teresa
If you love a bit of Russell Crowe as a Gladiator then you'll just love Marsallas The Charioteer.

I don't read many historicals, but when I do, it's such a treat to be taken back in time. The author created a sizzling chemistry between Marsallas and Justina, realistic to their era. This was a fascinating and unique era to read about.

There are many more conflicts the characters need to overcome in a historical, which in present day no longer exist, and so it's wonderful to see how they solve the
Johanna Sawyer
May 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Thanks netgalley for a free read in exchange for a review.
Hot cover, looks like the same guy from the cover by Kresley Coles MacRieve. Title was apt, but synopsis is what really caught my eye. This book read rather quickly, and it stayed well within the genre. Characters were brought out nicely, and story developed nicely. The climax was a surprise, not many books end by volcanic eruptions....the characters were likable, and overall entertainment was four stars. Great book!
Heather Anastasiu
May 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a fun, easy read, and I love reading about this time period. 3.5 stars.
Batina Darken
Cristina
Apr 08, 2018
Jane Lark
Feb 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this :-)
Morin
geb
May 29, 2014
J.F. Holland
Oct 24, 2015
Hi. I'm a writer of historical romances for HarperImpulse. My debut novel, "The Roman" was published on the 20th February 2014.

I live on the beautiful island of Anglesey in North Wales. I'm married to my own super Alpha Male, Colin.