Start by marking “Forsworn (Powder Mage, #0.1)” as Want to Read:
Forsworn (Powder Mage, #0.1)

Forsworn

(Powder Mage 0.1)

Erika ja Leora is a powder mage in northern Kez, a place where that particular sorcery is punishable by death. She is only protected by her family name and her position as heir to a duchy.

When she decides to help a young commoner—a powder mage marked for death, fugitive from the law—she puts her life and family reputation at risk and sets off to deliver her new ward to the
Published January 21st 2014 by Brian McClellan (first published 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Forsworn, please sign up.
Jon I can only speak for this novella specifically, but it honestly doesn't matter. The story takes place thirty-five years before A Promise of Blood, so…moreI can only speak for this novella specifically, but it honestly doesn't matter. The story takes place thirty-five years before A Promise of Blood, so it can be a good introduction to the universe for someone that doesn't want to commit right away. On the other hand, there are additional connections to be made back to the main story for someone that's read the trilogy already. It's a toss-up.(less)

Orient
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everybody
Thanks Samir for luring me to try Powder Mage shorties! :) Ohhh, I needed this to kill my reading slump.

When I stared reading it was a so s o read and I was a bit disappointed with the main heroine as she sounded like in her early teens. But soon I was sucked into action and ended up liking this short read :)

I loved the premise to use

Oh and the villain is really exciting! :)

Choko
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: quickies, fantasy
Our first look at Erica, Taniel's mother, as a young woman in Kaz, as well as the sleazy Duke Nicslaus... I hate him with passion!!!

A look at how the local beliefs and laws condemn the powder mages and put most of them to death in Kaz. And a good idea of why Tamas loved Erica so much:-)
Jody
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Forsworn is a short novella that shows just how powder mages are treated in the country of Kez. Erika ja Leora is heir to her grandfather's duchy as well as a branded Powder Mage. When she and her mistress-at-arms Santiole happen upon an escaped Powder Mage while hunting, she makes a choice that could endanger everyone she cares about.

This was a fun read. The infamous Duke Nikslaus was a main character in this story, and Tamas even makes a brief appearance. This had to be set about 20 to 25 yea
Nimrod Daniel
Apr 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
After reading The Girl of Hrusch Avenue, it was clear to me that Brian really knows how to write short stories, which is a very rare gift, so I had in mind to keep reading his short stories until the trilogy is fully completed. This short story is set in the same world, but it’s twice as long, and reveal more information about what a powder mageןד, and what it means to be one ( not welcomed of course...). Very few authors can write a good short story with a satisfying ending and Brian is definit ...more
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another excellent addition to a wonderful series, Forsworn introduces us to Erika ja Leora (Tamas' wife & Taniel's mother) and fleshes out this world even more by providing an exciting adventure that reads easily and entertains throughout, whilst additionally also giving us a glimpse into how Powder Mages were treated by different cultures.
Bookwraiths
Jun 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths.

The Powder Mage series is one I’ve been enjoying at a leisurely pace. Having missed this flintlock fantasy initially, my first forays into this world have been the author’s numerous short stories and novellas set before Promise of Blood . Forsworn being the oldest (according to the Powder Mage timeline) prequel out there.

In this tale, Erika ja Leora is a young noblewoman. Born of the union between Adran and Kez parents, she has split her life between the two n
Petros Triantafyllou
An interesting short story about Erika (Taniel's mother) and her first attempt to rescure a powder mage (marked for death) from the Kez, the same thing that eventually lead to her death, by the hands of Privileged Niklaus, 35 years prior the Promise of Blood.

Ps. I do not rate short stories.
Terry
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent Powder Mage novella

Great short story feeding us more background to the Powder Mage universe. If you enjoyed the first trilogy, you will enjoy this as well.
Molly
Rating, 4.5

An action packed adventure.

This was my first glimpse in the world of the Powder Mage. I've pondered if I should read first the main book/story or start with the novelettes,....Forsworn or Promise of Blood, Promise of Blood or Forsworn ... and so months have passed, until I felt like that proverbial donkey....

description

and finally picked one blindly.

Erika ja Leora is a young noblewoman, the granddaughter of Duke Nikslaus Leora, and the heiress of his duchy in northern Kez. One day while huntin
Mr. Matt
Mar 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Forsworn is another short prequel to Brian McClellan's Powder Mage series. In this volume we meet Ericka ja Leora, a Kez noblewoman - and a Powder Mage in a nation where the new mages are hunted down and ruthlessly exterminated. Ericka is forced to flee Kez and the story is more or less the story of her escape just inches ahead of her pursuers.

Brian McClellan is fast becoming one of my favorite authors. The world of Powder Mages is a refreshing take on fantasy and magic. His characters are well
Conor
Jun 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: the-powder-mage
3.25 Stars

Erika Ja Leore is a powder mage in a country where powder mages are hunted and killed on the orders of the king. She is kept alive only by respect for her position as a noblewoman and an oath taken as a child never to use her powers. But when she finds a young girl alone in the woods, hunted and afraid, she risks everything to see her to safety.

This was another interesting and well-written entry into the world of the 'Powder Mage'. While this doesn't quite provide the same amount of i
Emily
Oct 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, a-own-it
I listened to this on an audio book and the narrator was so awful I am really struggling with what to rate this. The story was pretty much "meh" - not especially interesting, and a bit slow in parts.

But man, the narrator was the absolute worst I've ever listened to. Everything was SUPER dramatic, words were all drawn out and over emphasized, everything was overacted. Also, her British accent was so bad - and why read it in a British accent at all if it isn't your normal accent? The voice she us
David Sven
Apr 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
A short story set in the Powder Mage universe.

Set 35 years prior to the events in Promise of Blood this gives us Erika's back story prior to her meeting and marrying Tamas.

Erika is a Kez noble heiress. Good for her. Erika is also part Adran - not so good if living in Kez. She is also a Powder Mage - not good at all in a country where Powder Mages are hunted and killed on sight. Erika has survived to date by virtue of her noble birth which gives her the option of being Forsworn ie taking an oath
Michael of Solace
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
That was a fun little tie-in.
Andrew Lukyanenko
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
In interesting little story. Nice to know more about the past of the important characters.
Joel
Nov 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
A cute little story - I should have read it in order (as in before I read Servant To The Crown), but it made sense as it went regardless. One thing I have to say is that it's incredibly obvious that McClellan is a student of Sanderson - you can feel it in his structure, in his prose, and above all, the way he handles the nobility/commoner dichotomy. It's not a bad thing, obviously - I have two shelves of signed Sanderson books to say I'm a fan - but it's a lot more obvious in these short stories ...more
Wing Kee
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
When it's focused it's pretty great.

For a short story it's good. It's focused. It's character driven and really has weight to the story. The Erica story has been a long time coming and this is a great start to it. This is something the main series lacks, heart and deeper and warmer emotions. Good stuff.

Onward to the next book!
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
4.5
There are five short stories (that I know of) before Promise of Blood, the first book in The Powder Mage series. I have already read one so far (The Girl of Hrusch Avenue) and fell in love with the series even before reading the first book.
I plan to read these stories before I start Promise of Blood.

Erika la Leora is a powder mage in Kaz, a horrible country where powder mages are executed as soon as they are discovered. Peasants are forced to turn in their children or the whole family dies. F
Stefan Bach
May 08, 2017 rated it liked it

“Your form is fantastic, your speed is admirable and your movement precise. Only one thing lacking; you missed.”

Erika Ja Leora is a noblewoman from Kez . She is part Adro . Smart, intelligent, capable and strong.
One day while fetching arrows and trying not to let her mistress-at-arms Santiole’s humorless tutoring how to shoot a bow – and actually hit a target – get under her skin, she stumbles upon a muddy child.
Child that’s running. Child with a scar in a shape of a flintlock musket abo
Holden Johnson
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-fiction
Brian McClellan's short fiction is my favorite. Don't get me wrong, I love his books, but he has a way of making you feel for characters in such a short word count span and I love it.

Thank you for another amazing Novella.
Kat  Hooper
Aug 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook

will review at www.fantasyliterature.com
Caitlin
Forsworn introduces readers to Erika, heir to the duchy of Leora in Kez. Branded as a powder mage who has sworn never to use her powers in return for not having to face execution, Erika has been training to fulfill her duty as a Kez noblewoman for most of her life. When a young powder mage on the run is discovered in the forests of her family's land, Erika makes the fateful choice to help the girl and put her life and that of her family in danger in order to do so. Can Erika and her companions h ...more
DJ
4/5 Rating Originally posted at MyLifeMyBooksMyEscape

This novella really gave me itch to get back in and finish the trilogy!

This was an enjoyable novella. I don't really have any complaints. Couple good swords fight, lots of moments of tensions and suspense. Overall, a good precursor to Promise of Blood.

(This story takes place 35 years before the events of Promise of Blood...)

Erika ja Leora is a powder mage living in Kez. It is against the law to be a powder mage and requires death; however bec
Terence
Jul 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars
Forsworn is another interesting powder mage short story. This story revolves around Erika ja Leora...Tamas' wife and Taniel's mother.

Erika finds herself in the undesirable position of being born a powder mage in Kez where it's illegal to be one. She has the good fortune to be the heir to a duchy and because of this she's allowed to be "forsworn." Forsworn in this case means she swears to the king and Kresimir that she'll never use black powder in any way or even touch any weapon that utilizes b
GrilledCheeseSamurai (Scott)

3.5 if I could.

A nice short little jaunt through Kez territory showing us the life (and hardships) of being a noblewoman bearing the mark of a Powder mage.

The story follows, Erika ja Leora, before she meets her betrothed, Tamas. Really, above all else, this tale just hammers home the fact in how much I hate Nikslaus.

Duder is a right freaking douche bag!

This is the first short story that I have read from McClellan and I enjoyed it well enough. If anything it was a treat to enter into his world be
David Zampa
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
A really straightforward short fiction in the Powder Mage world. It explores a little adventure between some smaller characters from 35 years prior to events in the first Powder Mage trilogy. Not terribly meaty, but that's to be expected. McClellan's talents for prose are just as entertaining on this small scale, and it's a nice, shallow dip back into the world while I wait for the rest of the second trilogy to come out.
Kitvaria Sarene
As always - Great story! I adored it - and the short length made it perfect for a little breather in between other books.
If you already liked the other Powder Mage books - you will love this too.
If you haven't read the other yet? Why the heck are you still here reading reviews? Go and BUY those amazing books and get reading already!! ;)
Aildiin
Jul 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Of all the short stories and novellas from Brian McClellan that I have read, this is probably the best. This is a self contained story about Tamiel's mother ( Erika) and what lead to her first encounter with Tamas.
I highly recommend it.
Nico
Dec 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
This goes to show that Brian actually can write female characters :) Why not put them in the main story, instead of these novellas? Great writing again.
Logan
Oct 10, 2017 rated it liked it
It was an enjoyable, quick read, but not outstanding. I'm sure it sheds some light on some of the characters from previous books that I've forgotten about and only barely recognize the names of anymore!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Forsworn [Sept 23, 2018] 8 11 Sep 29, 2018 11:52PM

• The Penitent Damned (The Shadow Campaigns #0.5)
  • Some Desperado
  • Sunset Mantle
  • Sleeping Beauty (The Broken Empire, #2.5)
  • The Flames of Shadam Khoreh (Lays of Anuskaya, #3)
  • The Last Witness
  • The Lord Collector (Raven's Shadow, #1.5)
  • Sword & Laser Anthology
  • Blackguards: Tales of Assassins, Mercenaries, and Rogues
  • Professional Integrity (The Riyria Chronicles, #2.6)
  • Messenger’s Legacy (The Demon Cycle, #3.5)
  • Sixth of the Dusk
  • Gardens of Mist (Traveler's Gate Chronicles, #2)
  • Exeunt Demon King (Johannes Cabal, #0.75)
  • Burning Girls
Brian McClellan is an American epic fantasy author from Cleveland, Ohio. He is known for his acclaimed Powder Mage Universe and essays on the life and business of being a writer.

Brian now lives on the side of a mountain in Utah with his wife, Michele, where he writes books and nurses a crippling video game addiction.

Brian's novels include the Powder Mage Trilogy (Promise of Blood, The Crimson Camp

Powder Mage (3 books)
  • Promise of Blood (Powder Mage, #1)
  • The Crimson Campaign (Powder Mage, #2)
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage, #3)