Start by marking “Night Work” as Want to Read:
Night Work

Night Work

With Night Work, award-winning author of the acclaimed Alex McKnight series Steve Hamilton delivers an atmospheric standalone thriller.

Joe Trumbull is not a man who scares easily. But tonight he is scared to death.

It's been two years since Joe's fiancée, Laurel, was murdered. Two years of grief and loneliness. On this hot summer night, he's finally going on a blind date, h
Published November 18th 2014 by Minotaur Books (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Night Work, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night Work

Les Edgerton
May 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I simply can't get enough of Steve Hamilton's novels! I finally read all of the Alex McKnight series and his remarkable "The Lock Artist" picked up the last novel, the stand-alone "Night Work" and... wow! He's created a totally different protagonist than McKnight, but this guy could easily have his own series... and I hope he does.

The only criticism I have of Steve Hamilton's novels is that he doesn't write fast enough. I want more!
Gloria Feit
Nov 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In his first standalone, following his wonderful Alex McKnight series, Steve Hamilton introduces Joe Trumbull, a probation officer in Kingston, New York, an upstate city in the Hudson Valley. He lives in an apartment above a converted bus station now serving as a gym, where he works out every day to try to keep in shape, at which he mostly succeeds. He describes his job as follows: “I’m part cop, part social worker, part guidance counselor, part rehab coordinator, part bounty hunter. Every hour ...more
Jerry
Aug 31, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
This one started off quite good. I really liked the character Joe Trumbull is a juvenile probation officer, who loves old jazz, and lives in a room above a boxing gym. He's still mourning the loss of his fiance who was murdered two years earlier. This one was going great right up until the end, then it just got strange, and quite unbelievable. So, a page turner right up to the disappointing end.
Andrea
Jul 13, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Andrea by: List author suggestion
Really 3.5 stars. This one had me all the way - hard to put down - but I never quite "got" the killer's motivation.
Mary
Feb 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was not an Alex McNight, but a Joe, who is a probation officer in the upper hills of NY State, and has all kinds of bad things happen to him, murders, that were caused by his actions, but not his fault. It's complicated. But good read and I like the guy, and his colorful friends.
Richard
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent. Flowed really well. Kept my interest throughout the whole book. Look forward to reading more of Steve Hamilton's books.
Elyn
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Can't put it down!
Dave
Apr 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like Steve McKnights books. Well written and tight. This stand alone book was good and had me turning pages. The ending got very weird however. But all in all I like the characters and the book.
Maddy
Dec 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2007-reads
PROTAGONIST: Joe Trumbull, juvenile probation officer
SETTING: Kingston, NY
SERIES: Standalone thriller
RATING: 3.5

It's been two years since juvenile probation officer Joe Trumbull's fiancée, Laurel, was strangled to death. He's been wallowing in grief ever since. On an intellectual level, he knows he needs to move on; on an emotional level, he's finding it difficult. He finally gets up the nerve to go on a blind date with a jewelry designer named Marlene who is new to the area. It starts out badly
Tiffeny
I started off planning to give this book a five. By the time I got to the end though, I couldn't bring myself to give it more than a 3, but it would probably be a 3.5 really, if that helps. I have a couple of comments so I'm going to break them into bullets.

--The Main Character: In some ways Joe Trumbull is quite likeable, and I really liked him for a long time. Then he kind of got stupid. Maybe being accused of murder makes you irrational, but I thought he did and said some really stupid things
Dana
Dec 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had forgotten how much I liked Steve Hamilton as an author until I read "Night Work."  The first book I read by him was "The Lock Artist", which I thought was so creative, and this book had a similarly ingenious plot.  "Night Work" revolved around several murders that all led to one suspect, Joe.  Joe claimed he didn't kill the women despite the evidence that mounted against him.  Of course, the false accusations set Joe on a mission to find the real killer, and drew him into a web of mystery. ...more
Jacki (Julia Flyte)
Apr 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Joe Trumbell works in upstate New York as a probation officer. When the book opens he is about to go on a blind date: his first since his fiancee Laurel was murdered two years ago. The date with Marlene goes very well - but shortly afterwards her dead body is found. Despite assertations to the contrary, it is clear that Trumbull is the police's best suspect. As the evidence against him mounts, he becomes determined to find the killer and to clear his name before it's too late.

The storyline is a
Ed
May 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finalist 2008 Gold Dagger Award. Here is a case where I don't agree with the award. After 7 entries in the award winning Alex McKnight series about an ex-cop in northern MI, author Hamilton has produced this unsatisfying stand-alone about a probation officer in upstate NY.

Thriller - Joe Trumbell is a probation officer in Kingston, NY. He goes on a first date two years after the murder of his fiancé and the next day this woman is killed with evidence pointing at Joe. Kingston detective Howie is o
Joanne
Oct 29, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Steve Hamilton usually places his action in Michigan. This one is the only book he has written that takes place in New York state. I'd gone to a talk he gave in which he mentioned this book, noting that no one ever asks him to write another book about this character. Hmmm, I thought I'd read all his books. Missed this one, I thought. But I didn't, I had just lost it from my memory. If you like Steve Hamilton's writing, go for it. If you have never heard of Steve Hamilton, this is not a book to s ...more
Joyce
Feb 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Author Steve Hamilton's first non-Alex McKnight story. Joe Trumbull is a probation officer who has the worst luck with women imaginable. The woman he was going to marry was killed the night of his bachelor party two years ago. Now every woman he talks to winds up dead. Story is interesting but the title makes no sense. The killer doesn't always operate at night and a probation officer doesn't do his job at night.
Nike Chillemi
Joe Trumble, a juvenile probation officer, finally decides he's ready to accept a blind date two years after his fiance Laurel's brutal murder. At first he gets cold feet and almost stands his date up, but then thinks better of it and is surprised at how well the evening goes. Then he learns the next day the woman was strangled to death.
Liked this hero.
Chris
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this one, kept me engaged to the end.
Elizabeth
Nov 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: good-book, gr8
A must Read if you enjoy Hamilton. !!!! Awesome book!
Wayne
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first non-Alex McKnight Steve Hamilton novel. Told in the first person, it took me 25 or so pages to get really involved in this story. Then, I couldn't put the book down, and finished the 294 page book in 2 sittings.
Joe Trumbull is a probation officer in Kingston, NY. His fiancee had been murdered 2 years ago and he has not dated since. Finally agreeing to a blind date, his life becomes a nightmare. After 3 women acquaintances of his are found murdered, Joe becomes a suspect. Night W
Connie
Dec 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars! This was a good story with great characters. I have read some of this author's previous books and decided to get another book off my bookshelves. The last book I read by Steve Hamilton was a disappointment. This one was a compelling read. A probation officer whose fiance was killed two years ago decides to go on a blind date. All is well until the young woman is found murdered the next day.
Recommended!
Martha
May 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have enjoyed Steve Hamilton's books in the past. They are quick reads, yet suspenseful enough to keep you thinking about the who-done-it. I got seriously bogged down in this one, though. Maybe I just couldn't get into the characters or wasn't in the right frame of mind. All in all, I am glad I saw it through to the end. There were some twists and turns I didn't see coming.
Paul Thomas
Apr 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Couple of good twists and a quick read, but all in all a dime store novel. I thought it would be better since this book is outside of Hamilton’s (not the shitty rap play) several detective series, but it was the same thing.

I enjoyed my first Hamilton novel, The Lock Artist, but it has been a bit downhill since.

Save it for the beach.
Fredrick Danysh
Joe Trumbull is a parole officer in New York. Two years ago his fiancee was murdered. Now after he returns to the dating scene, every woman he comes in contact is murdered in a similar manner. As he becomes the prime suspect the question is why.
James
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full review here:

I guess he has a series he wrote that people enjoyed. I may check it out sooner or later, since other than the resolution, this was a good book.
Foster Winter
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first read of his beyond his (and my) beloved Northern Michigan takes. It surprised me as I realized that his stories are good beyond being set in my favorite and familiar geographies.

I liked his protagonist and the story moved at a "didn't want to put it down" pace.
Tyler
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mr. Hamilton shows he's a master of the concise, thriller. I've read this twice and each time it's sucked me in with its tractor beams. It's concise but he still slowly builds the story and the tension sets in like a sledgehammer. The plot moves along seamlessly until it's Hitchcock-ian end.
Susan Miller
Apr 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A typical mystery with a moderate portion of violence. This is one of Steve Hamilton's stand alone books. The protagonist is well developed. The beginning is a bit slow. A quick read for a sunny day. I borrowed this book from the Islands Public library
Amy Phelps
This was a good book. Left me guessing at every turn. Nail biting to the end. Last few pages are kind of melancholy but I liked the fact thT it wasn’t a happily ever after, boy gets the girl kind of ending.
Ree
May 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very much enjoyed this book. Characters were well developed. Ending was somewhat of a surprise.
Dave
Apr 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good read with a great main character. But it was let down by a somewhat absurd ending.
  • In this Rain
  • Soul Patch (Moe Prager, #4)
  • Death Roe (Woods Cop, #6)
  • Sugar Skull (Eve Diamond Mystery, #2)
  • Blood Runs Cold (Ren Bryce, #1)
  • Shadows Still Remain
  • What Lies in Shadow
  • Black Monday
  • Vapor Trail (Phil Broker, #4)
  • Wrong Man Running
  • The Hunted
  • L.A. Outlaws (Charlie Hood, #1)
  • Schemers (Nameless Detective, #33)
  • Butcher's Moon (Parker, #16)
  • The Final Country (Milo Milodragovitch #4)
  • Nameless Night
  • The Shimmer
  • Delusion
DEAD MAN RUNNING, the long-awaited return of ALEX McKNIGHT, will be released on August 21, 2018!