Start by marking “Harvey Penick's Little Red Book: Lessons and Teachings From a Lifetime of Golf” as Want to Read:
Harvey Penick's Little Red Book: Lessons and Teachings From a Lifetime of Golf

Harvey Penick's Little Red Book: Lessons and Teachings From a Lifetime of Golf

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  2,195 Ratings  ·  102 Reviews
THE CLASSIC BOOK OF GOLF WISDOM FROM THE GAME'S GREATEST TEACHER The "Little Red Book" has become required reading for all players and fans of the game of golf, from beginners to seasoned pros. The legendary Harvey Penick, who began his golfing career as a caddie in Austria, Texas, at the age of eight, worked with an amazing array of champions over the course of nearly a c ...more
Published May 19th 1999 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Harvey Penick's Little Red Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harvey Penick's Little Red Book

Kurtbg
Anecdotes and advice from a golf pro for days of yore.
The game of golf has changed since then, and he notes it near the end of the book when he covers trick shots. He laments a bit that the game has become more power biased.

Some interesting notes (very basic).
- Practice your swing with a 7 iron.
- most time is spent with irons and putting. Don't over practice
on a driver.
- Relax and find what works for you. there is no perfect swing/stance, etc
that works for everyone. It's your perfect swing you
Ben Margraves
Jul 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book was released while I was in high school in the 90's. I was a golfer and it consumed my life most of the time. This book was like my bible. I read this book to improve my game by taking notes from it and writing them on my hats, bags, scorecards and anything else I could imagine. The lessons in this book were not only applied o golf but to life as well.
Brad Lyerla
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, sports
What a comfort this little book is for a golfer! Simple and wise, Penick makes golf sensible for expert and hacker alike. It is a must read for all golfers.

A key take away for me is that Penick instructs us to "take dead aim." Of course. And yet, I bet the vast majority of shots I hit in a round are just approximations. No more. I resolve to take dead aim. That now is my mantra.
Eustacia Tan
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, non-fiction
I read this book at the driving range and I like it enough that if the second book is still at BookOff the next time I visit, I'll probably get it (I obviously didn't learn my lesson about having too many books when I moved).

Harvey Penick's Little Red Book is basically a collection of golfing tips and stories (and even one poem). Harvey Penick is supposed to be this really great teacher, although I haven't heard of him before. But he sounds really kind and like a good teacher.

Basically, Harvey's
Aidan Boyd
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Harvey Penick's Little Red Book is a book on a series of tips and instructions to make the reader a more knowledgeable golfer. The book covers almost any scenario an armature golfer will face and how to fix it. Some teachings and lessons take up less than a page and others are more extensive. I would recommend this book to a new golfer or someone who does not know much about golf.
Linda Kelly
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This little book can delight a reader, whether a golfer or not. The organization into specific topics makes this book useful as a resource. If I were a golfer, I would really use the book as an ongoing resource.

As a history buff, I really enjoyed reading the history of the Austin Country Club, which opened in 1898, as well as the many historical anecdotes about the history of golf and golf players. Harvey became the pro there in 1923 and stayed for over 50 years.

Harvey coached at the University
Trevor
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining and eye opening

This book was an exceptionally easy read. The information, for me, was more of a philosophical view on golf. There are great stories to get you thinking and I believe that follows Mr. Penick's teaching style. All-in-all, this is a wonderful with lessons from the greatest teacher golf has probably ever had.
Patrick Norman
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a golfer myself this was a very fun book to read. Some humor and beautiful history of the game. Harvey was an old fashioned man with old fashioned teaching. His motto in life was the same as on the course. Humility, Compassion, and of course Take Dead Aim!
Mark
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
The lessons are great. That's what I bought the book for. I don't (didn't) really care about the name-drop stories at the end. I just wanted to absorb the wisdom.
Alexander
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Easy to see why this is considered the first great golf instruction manual. Filled with timeless advice on the game and enough anecdotes from a lifetime with golf to make any dryness inconsequential
  • Ben Hogan's Five Lessons: The Modern Fundamentals of Golf
  • Golf Dreams: Writings on Golf
  • Missing Links
  • Zen Golf: Mastering the Mental Game
  • Golf My Way
  • Tommy's Honor: The Story of Old Tom Morris and Young Tom Morris, Golf's Founding Father and Son
  • The Golf Omnibus
  • Golf in the Kingdom
  • A Course Called Ireland: A Long Walk in Search of a Country, a Pint, and the Next Tee
“The cup is only one inch wide for a putt that is struck too hard. The cup is four inches wide for a ball that dies at the hole.” 0 likes
“to start your downswing, let your weight shift to your left foot while bringing your right elbow back down to your body.” 0 likes