Start by marking “Herman's Letter” as Want to Read:
Herman's Letter

Herman's Letter

Herman the bear and Henry the raccoon are best friends. But Henry's moving far, far away! So what do they do? Promise to write each other all the time and stay best friends forever, that's what.

But being pen-pals is easier said than done, especially when your best friend seems to be having way more fun than you are. . . .

Filled with interactive lift-the-flaps and great rea
Published November 11th 2014 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Herman's Letter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Herman's Letter

Start your review of Herman's Letter
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
A finished copy of this title was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. My thoughts are my own.

This review can also be found at The Starry-Eyed Revue.

First, I thought we'd start with Katie's thoughts on this book:

I think that they were really, really, really good friends. They liked sending letters because they liked each other and had to be far away from each other.

When asked what she liked best about Herman's Letter, she had this to say:

It was kind of funny that he go
Evie
A moving and inspiring tale of unbreakable friendship and remarkable dedication, Herman's Letter is an absolute must-have on every little owl's bookshelf.

Herman and Henry had been best friends since they learned how to walk - and possibly even before that. They grew up together, playing, exploring, inventing new games and secret handshakes. So when Henry had to move away, both of them were devastated. But they promised to keep in touch and write as often as possible, because that's what true f
Audrey
Sep 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
the letters are actual notes you open. it's a great story of friendship
Rebecca Brown
Herman’s Letter is a sweet and simple little read about a pair of best friends, Herman the Bear and Henry the Racoon. They are bestest of friends but Henry has to move far away. This book follows Herman on his epic adventure to deliver a very special letter to Henry.

I really enjoyed reading this book as it is very visual and the illustrations, also by Tom Percival, are very soft and charming. Children will love to admire the illustrations whilst following along with the story. I find it moving b
Katie Handford
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Herman's Letter is a charming story of friendship between a bear and a raccoon. The two best friends are separated for the first time and are learning that distance makes maintaining a friendship much harder but they are dedicated to each other, despite the adversity. The book is full of interactive letters, which the reader can lift up and read which added to the enjoyment of the story along with the endearing drawings. This is a wonderful story for KS1 pupils to explore as they are really star ...more
Diane
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When two best friends are separated by a move, it seems that the friend who moves away has all the exciting new opportunities and chances to make friends. The friend left behind might even feel jealous. That's the way it is with Henry and Herman. Henry sends letters filled with exciting news, but Herman doesn't reply. He can only feel sad and alone. Until the letter that comes from Henry assuring Herman that they are still best friends ... and Herman is happy enough to respond. But now the post ...more
Brigitte Brulz
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a sweet story about two animal friends who are separated due to a move. Children who have had to move away from friends may be able to relate to the little characters in this book. The letters are folded throughout the book, so they must be lifted open to read, which makes it more fun. Overall, an enjoyable read.
Chad
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
Cute book celebrating the power of FRIENDSHIP and the postal service.

Let's all just go back to the good old days of writing letters, eh?
Peace_Love_Reading
Absolutely loved it and the letters inside !!
Romi (likes books)
Thank you to Bloomsbury Australia for this review copy!

This book covers the theme of jealousy, which is a theme I don’t really like as it is so often covered in ways that don’t feel quite right, aren’t often faced fully and are sometimes left to simmer in the background, cast off. It was certainly very upfront in Herman’s Letter, and still I didn’t really like that, but I think it was done pretty well. Definitely I think it makes this a good book for children, who are learning to understand and
Misty
This is a lovely, if a bit sad, little story about Herman who gets sad when his best friend, Harry moves away. At first he feels sad and misses his friend and then becomes jealous when he feels Harry is having far more fun than him and is making new friends. Herman feels he's being left behind. All emotions I think a child would feel if someone they were close to went away so I think this would be a great book for any child in that situation. Oliver really enjoyed the story and listened intently ...more
Amy Holland
Fun! The lift-the-flap letters reminded me of the The Jolly Postman, or Other People's Letters, which I liked because that was one of my favorite books as a kid. There were also a couple unexpected twists that I enjoyed -- Herman gets concussed (!) and only reaches Henry's house because a kindly postman mails him there. The illustrations were very sweet, and often included neutral backgrounds with a bright pop of color -- very eye-catching. I also liked the illustrations that had a dusting of sn ...more
Margie
Oct 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-a-day
Who doesn't like to get letters? Who doesn't like to interact with a book by opening and closing written greetings? Herman's Letter written and illustrated by Tom Percival will be a hit with readers who need to see how moving away may challenge a relationship but true friendship does last forever...even across the miles and through hibernation.

My full recommendation:
Amy
Nov 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Herman is so lovable and relatable as he struggles with feelings of loss and jealousy in his best friend moving away. Students will love opening the flaps to read his letters to Henry. My only criticism is that the story seems to end quite abruptly. Maybe that makes room for more letters from Herman to come. :)
Siskiyou-Suzy
Where did these animals live?! I kind of hate that Herman encountered penguins. Unless he was in Antarctica or chilling out in the south of South America, he probably didn't see penguins. I know it's a story and the animals are talking, so it's not like it's fact-based, but this is totally something kids are taught, and I don't see the point of including penguins!
Sarah Lameche
Apr 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
I love reading this book! The story of two best friends and how one feels lonely, abandoned and jealous when the other moves away. There are lift the flap letters to read (which my daughter loves to open) and a happy ending. It's just a really fun read with lovely pictures.
Sandra Guerfi
Herman and Henry are best friends who find themselves having to learn how to keep their friendship happy with miles between them. The letters are lift the flaps that relate the story as well as the regular dialogue. Very cute.
Leslie
Inspire letter-writing with this gem of a picture book. Herman's Letter balances the anxiety of having a best friend move away and the silliness in the hijinks'. I dig the art, the tenderness and the humor; the lift-the-flap letters are really nice touch as well.
Ashley
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytime-picks
A story of animals, friendship, hibernation, and obstacles, this is a pleasant read through and through. With lift the flap letters to show you the characters progress young readers will be drawn into the adventure.
Mary
This book is so cute and a lot of fun! There are interactive lift-the-flaps, and a surprise ending that will leave you smiling. Beautifully illustrated, and the characters are relatable and interesting.
When Henry moves, he writes letters to his friend Herman. A sweet exchange of letters with a clever plot twist that results in Herman getting mailed to Henry. Kids are sure to love the lift-the-flap letters.
Debby Baumgartner
Herman's best friend moves away and writes him letters. Herman does not write until he really believes he is missed. However he can not mail his letter because the post office is closed. How does he get his letter delivered?
Michele Knott
Young children will enjoy the story but they will LOVE the lift-the-flap letters the friends write!
Elisabeth
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The lift-the-flap letters were pretty fun.
Michelle Gray
Absolutely delightful friendship story!
Thia
mail, friendship, bears older preschool
elementary
Michael Wallace
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: toddler-books
A touching tale of two friend pulled apart, and the strength of their enduring friendship. The illustrations are fun, colourful, and pitched perfectly for the story. Highly recommended.
Miss Sarah
A bear and racoon are best friends when one must move away they communicate with letters that open uo in the book. Cute and nice friendship themes. Elementary and up
Brindi Michele
cute, interactive story about friendship with big and beautiful illustrations
Emily

• Love You Always
  • The Upper Case: Trouble in Capital City
  • The Treasure of Pirate Frank
  • Penguin Problems
  • The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • The Good Egg (The Bad Seed, #2)
  • Dory Fantasmagory: Tiny Tough
  • I Am a Thief!
  • The Serious Goose
  • Pup and Bear
  • Tooth Fairy in Training
  • A Map Into the World
  • The Hundred-Year Barn
Tom Percival writes and illustrates picture books (you know, for kids) as well as illustrating books written by other people. The most well known of these is probably the excellent Skulduggery Pleasant series by Derek Landy.

He grew up in a remote and beautiful part of South Shropshire. On reflection this seemed rather more remote than beautiful, owing to the fact that he lived in a small caravan w

News & Interviews