Start by marking “Trial by Fire (Worldwalker, #1)” as Want to Read:
Trial by Fire (Worldwalker, #1)

Trial by Fire

(Worldwalker #1)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  15,314 ratings  ·  2,130 reviews
The exhilaratingly seductive new series from the author of the bestselling Starcrossed series

Love burns. Worlds collide. Magic reigns.

This world is trying to kill Lily Proctor. Her life-threatening allergies keep her from enjoying many of the experiences that other teenagers take for granted... which is why she is determined to enjoy her first (and perhaps only)
Published September 2nd 2014 by Feiwel & Friends (first published August 28th 2014)

·  15,314 ratings  ·  2,130 reviews

Start your review of Trial by Fire (Worldwalker, #1)
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Lily’s body ran hot—about 102 degrees on a normal day. On a bad day, her fever could shoot up as high as 111 degrees.
Well, it didn't make me want to kill myself.

In the interest of transparency, I'm going to tell you guys up front. I'm seriously fucking drunk right now.

It's 1:30 AM on Sunday morning, I've spent the entire evening out. I've drank half a bottle of Riesling and I'm just making inroads into a bottle of gin. This isn't going to be one of my better reviews, because, hello, I'm typing
Emily May
Sep 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
This is Lily’s day.”

Believe me when I say: This is not Lily’s day. Lily is not losing any bloody stars from her eyes anytime soon. In fact, I would say the stars breed, multiply and become a damn constellation by the time this book is finished. There's a love triangle, insta-angst and a whole lot of general stupidity to look forward to along the way.

Please could someone tell me how a girl like Lily,
Lola
Sep 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
*3.5 stars*

Let’s talk about originality—this book has it!

Nowadays, in my opinion, finding gems in new YA series featuring witches is pretty hard since they are sometimes so predictable as in a lot has already been done and we've pretty much seen it all. They rarely contain new secrets for you us discover.

Yet, Josephine Angelini nailed the paranormal aspects. Creativity, this story is filled with it. And imagination? The author was probably born with it as a middle name.

One interesting element
Wendy Darling
4.5 stars I enjoyed this so so so so much. Read in one sitting, with barely any time to breathe.

Review to come.
Giselle
Mar 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, own, signed
Whoa! Having had no luck with witch books lately this was a nice surprise. It's unique and well written, with a quick pacing that turned it into an unputdownable read.

Trial by Fire starts with the introduction of Lily, a sickly girl who has had a rough life of weakness and fevers. I knew right then that this was going to be a great read. This girl was funny, awkward, easy to connect to, and with a compelling narrative voice. Plus you just knew this constant sickness was something witchy and had
Steysha Kravits
Mar 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing

The flames rise, and I twist and scream, trying to get away, but the iron shackles on my wrist keep me bound to this stake.
I’m a witch. And witches burn.

I was looking for a book about good old witches for a long time, and this one rocked my world!
This is the story about Lily. At the beginning we see her as a normal girl who has a hard life, being allergic and having a bit crazy mom. She’s in love with her best friend who finally started to notice her in a romantic way. Soon she won’t be able
Kai
Apr 02, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, overrated
“I'm a witch and witches burn.”

Ugh. Honestly, I'm a big fan of Josephine Angelini's Starcrossed series; these books are awesome. But this? To be honest, it is a huge disappointment.
The first few pages are alright. You get introduced to the characters and learn a lot about the main character's life. It looked promising.
But then Lily, the protagonist, gets absorbed into this parallel universe and the storyline slowly grows dull and duller. I just wasn't interested in this fantasy world at all. The
Ashley Daviau
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I adore books that involve witches but I'm always hesitant when I pick up a new one because it's either a hit or a miss. Well holy cow, this was most definitely a hit. I absolutely freaking loved everything about this book!

The concept was so original and unlike any book I've read about witches before. I was drawn in right from the beginning and although I did find it a tad slow to start with, I loved the world building and the characters and the detail that went into this book.

I couldn't turn
Angela
May 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Recommended to Angela by: My good sense
29 June 2015: $2.99 on Kindle

I requested this book because: WITCHES. SALEM WITCHES. It beckons to me like a siren in the sea. I can't resist. I can't fight. So, I didn't even bother. I'd never read Josephine Angelini before and I had no idea what to expect. I hoped the book would be good, but I wasn't about to let my expectations get too high. I've been burned before.

And then I met Lily. Lily of the horrible allergies, unpopular at school yet comfortable (mostly) in her own skin. She's confident
Anne

So what's this one about?
Witches, alternate realities, and allergies.
So. It 's got an interesting premise, no?
It starts out in our world, with Lily struggling to find some amount of normalcy in her life. Absentee father, schizophrenic mother, and she's got something seriously wrong with her immune system.
The only bright spots in her life are her sister, Juliet, and her one friend, Tristan. Her longtime secret love for Tristan has finally been reciprocated, and he's taking her to a
Sue (Hollywood News Source)
Review also posted at Young Adult Hollywood.

I think my life would be a much better place if books could just stay as their enticing, shinny, gorgeous prose.

Josephine Angelini's Starcrossed Trilogy is one of my favorite Young Adult series. It was relatively easy to get lost into that world despite it's flaws.

I was so ready to liked Trial by Fire. I have quite a few reasons why to like it.

A.) I'm a huge fan of witches. I love witches, especially anything that got to do with Salem.

B.) ALTERNATE
Tomoe Hotaru
blog | goodreads

20 Sep. '14
*pssst* for a better, more tidy version of this review, read it on my blog.

I've been in a blogging rut recently, so to try and rekindle my blogging spirit I've decided to combine two of my most favourite passtimes: reviewing and simming[*]! I tried to get all the (main) characters right based on descriptions in the book -- but it's quite possible I may have missed or got some things wrong. If you do notice any mistakes on my part, do let me know.

--------------------
Aly (In Wonderland)
Aug 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
To read the full review, CLICK ME!

"Funny how quickly the mind moves, but how slowly time does when you're in pain."

Whilst the fantasy and magical elements were incredibly well executed, I found myself confounded by Lily. I couldn't buy into her innocent goody-two-shoes personality and then her quick, immediate switch to badass witch wielding powerful magic like a baton. It was too sudden and very hard to get used to. I wanted Lily to grow into her magic and feel the power before turning into a
Donita Luz
Trial by Fire has the potential to be not just a good read but one of the best urban fantasy read for me given its unique premise and unpredictable plot, if only it has a better execution.
"Heat builds around me, and the fire begins to eat into my flesh. Yes, fire has teeth, and it chews at you like a living, breathing animal. It even roars like an animal. When you are in its mouth, you have to fight for air. Fire, like a lion, likes to suffocate its prey."
When I started this book, I was
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Although it has a firm connection to our world, Trial by Fire could very well be considered a fantasy novel. The worldbuilding isn’t particularly elaborate, but it serves the story very well, and it will probably expand in the next two installments, although I don’t really feel that there’s too much to add. While simple, Lillian’s world (as opposed to Lily’s world, which is also ours) is perfectly functional and developed just enough to carry the story easily.

Lily is exactly the type of heroine
Norah Una Sumner
What a mess of a book.

The premise is definitely interesting but I had a lot of problems with the story and the writing. First of all,I'm not a fan of writing from the third-person point of view because I can't completely connect with the characters and that's exactly what happened here - it's not that I just couldn't connect with Lilly and Lillian,it's that I literally didn't care about them. They could've both died and I wouldn't even flinch. Same goes for the supporting characters except for
Brittany (The Book Addict's Guide/Novelly Yours)
Initial Impressions 10/2/15: Wow, what an interesting book! I struggled with it at the beginning because "fanta-sci" is hard for me sometimes. It all depends on how it's put together and some fanta-sci flows seamlessly to where I don't even know it's bending and I've read other books where the fantasy and sci-fi elements end up battling each other instead of working together. Once I got into the groove and the feel, I really ended up enjoying it!
I loved how the characters grew throughout the
Bee (Heart Full of Books)
Although the magic system was super unique - it being science based and all - I felt like exposition was very much lacking in this first book. It's not often I wish there was more expo, but honestly, I felt so confused about the world that Lily stepped into! I couldn't tell you what time period it was based one, or what the government or economic systems were like, and I have no idea what the characters that aren't magical even do in this world. I kept hoping that things would be explained ...more
C.G. Drews
I literally have only good things to tell you about this book!How's that?! It's absolutely crazy, right?! There's a few things I may or may not whinge about, but they're all so microscopic and variable...pfft. Don't even listen to me. Just drop everything and go read this now. (Unless, of course, you're carrying something precious like a small child or chocolate cake. Then don't drop everything right away.)

It's basically a evilly delicious tale about magic, jumping-through-multiple-worlds,
Kassidy
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
*4.5*

One of the things I love most about this book is how intricate this world is. It mixes together magic and science, but yet it almost appears medieval. I also love how in depth the explanations go with how the world works. I found it extremely fascinating and unique. Also very interesting were the parallels to our world. There are some things we have in our world that this world has never heard of, and a lot of our 'science' discoveries are explained through magic in this new Salem.
As
Taylor Knight
May 31, 2014 rated it liked it
I don't know what I was expecting from this book but I was left a little underwhelmed. That might because I went in to this book knowing nothing, confident that I was going to be reading fantasy, but the first 40 pages were contemporary. I was confused and weirded out. I think it would have worked out better if I knew from that start that this book had alternate universe plot.
I didn't like the characters at all in the beginning. Lily was willing to risk her life (I'm not even kidding) just so
Buddy read with Ange

I have to confess that I wasn't really too sure what to expect from Trial by Fire, I hadn't heard a great deal about it before I started reading but the shiny foil cover caught my eye and when I realised it was about witches and alternate realities I couldn't resist. I'm so glad I took a chance because this turned out to be one of my favourite YA reads of the year. There is just so much to love about this book and once I'd started reading I didn't want to stop.

Lily is such a
Giselle
Lily is allergic to a lot of things, weak and constantly sickened by her allergies, her bright spot in life is her best friend Tristan. Taking her to her first house party, he abandons her for some other girl and she ends up having a seizure from a drink filled with alcohol. As the alcohol threatens her weak body, she finds herself transported into another world. Except this world, there's another Lily who is the most powerful witch in the universe. She finds herself allying with another version ...more
Luke
Sep 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm first to click "Want To Read" it!!!

I loved the Starcrossed trilogy. The premise for Trial By Fire sounds equally intriguing: Witches, like Greek Mythology, has always fascinated me. I know Josephine Angelini will grip me for another exhilarating, intricate journey!

And she did!

And I am so wanting Lily and Rowan together!

And I really, really need to the next one immediately!
Rashika (is tired)
Trial by Fire was exactly as I had hoped it would be but more. That sounds a little contradictory, doesn't it? I suppose the best way to explain it is that I knew I would love this book but I had no idea how much. Angelini never fails to surprise me.

I remember when I first read Starcrossed and now, reading the first book in her new trilogy, I feel the same way as I felt then. I feel that excitement. I feel the thrill. I feel everything. Yet at the same time, it's obvious how much she has grown
Varsha
Actual rating: 4.5

It's been awhile since I wrote a proper review so this might be unorganized and rusty, just bear with me. :)

Lilly Proctor is allergic to a lot of things and is always sick which makes it nearly impossible for her to live a normal life. So when she gets an opportunity to go to her first and possibly her last high-school party with her best friend and crush Tristan, she take it. But things don't go the way she expected and after a humiliating experience, Lily wishes to disappear
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Trial By Fire was a wonderful blend of fantasy with the element of atmospheric interdimensional travel, driven by an intense romance and the plight of one girl to save a world that is not her own. Lily was a sickly child, often hospitalised with severe allergies and a constant fever in which she was ostracised by her peers. All except Tristan. For Lily, their friendship consists of watching Tristan's female conquests while seeing her peers enjoy the life Lily so desperately covets. Until the ...more
Beth  (YA Books Central)
"Love burns.
Worlds collide.
Magic reigns."

I had heard sooooo many people raving about this book so I had to get my hands on it. From the moment I opened the book and read the first chapter....I was completely hooked. Josephine Angelini's writing style is just breath-taking and phenomenal. She writes her characters in a way that it feels like you are in the book with them.

The main character, Lily Proctor, is a young girl who has life-threatening allergies and could die at any moment. Lily's
Nasty Lady MJ
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
To see full review click here

If you read my reviews you know I’m not a huge fan of Josephine Angelini. Mainly because the Starcrossed trilogy was a God awful shitty series. However, the premises of Trial by Fire pulled me in enough where I had to read it-note, I had a bottle of wine nearby the entire time for sanity purposes.

The result: well, it’s like a better version of Starcrossed with some horrible moments and prose that on Angelini can grace us with.

Let me just warn you, if you want to read
Lia
Nov 12, 2015 marked it as did-not-finish
DNF at 56%

I started reading this in July and then completely forgot about it. It wasn't necessarily really bad, but it did a quite successful job at putting me to sleep. And I honestly don't care about the story or the characters enough to keep going.
YA Today Book Club: Discussion #31 - Trial by Fire 2 11 Jan 28, 2015 11:14AM
What's the Name o...: YA witch in parallel world [s] 4 31 Jan 27, 2015 11:38AM
Little Yellow Boo...: Discussion! Chapters 1-5 4 21 Dec 10, 2014 05:54PM
Little Yellow Boo...: Ending of Trial by Fire *spoilers* 4 26 Dec 02, 2014 07:42AM
Casual Readers: TRIAL BY FIRE: Official Discussion 4 9 Nov 04, 2014 09:12PM

• Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • The Orphan Queen (The Orphan Queen, #1)
  • The Perilous Sea (The Elemental Trilogy, #2)
  • Exquisite Captive (Dark Caravan Cycle, #1)
  • Death Sworn (Death Sworn, #1)
  • Midnight Thief (Midnight Thief, #1)
  • The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy, #1)
  • Mortal Danger (Immortal Game, #1)
  • Storm Siren (Storm Siren, #1)
  • Sea of Shadows (Age of Legends, #1)
  • Death Marked (Death Sworn, #2)
  • Evertrue (Everneath, #3)
  • The Kiss of Deception (The Remnant Chronicles, #1)
  • Winterspell (Winterspell, #1)
  • Kingdom of Ashes (A Wicked Thing, #2)
  • Stolen Songbird (The Malediction Trilogy, #1)
  • Silber: Das zweite Buch der Träume (Silber, #2)
  • Berühre mich. Nicht. (Berühre mich. Nicht., #1)
Josephine Angelini is a Massachusetts native and the youngest of eight siblings. She graduated from New York University's Tisch School of the Arts in theater, with a focus on the classics. She now lives in Los Angeles with her husband and daughter.

Worldwalker (3 books)
  • Firewalker (Worldwalker, #2)
  • Witch's Pyre (Worldwalker, #3)
“There comes a day when every girl loses the stars in her eyes. And then she can see clearly.” 58 likes
“The people who love you will guide you like bright lights into the other worlds.” 44 likes