Start by marking “The Calling (Immortals, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Calling (Immortals, #1)

The Calling

(Immortals #1)

Amber has never heard of the Immortals—ancient warriors come to the aid of those in trouble, summoned by the Calling spell. She only learns about them when one crashes into the deserted warehouse where she's fighting the demon who murdered her sister, and proceeds to beat back the demon and destroy every single one of Amber's protective spells.

Adrian, the oldest
Published January 19th 2014 by JA / AG Publishing (first published May 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Calling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Calling

Start your review of The Calling (Immortals, #1)
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
I was pretty underwhelmed with this book. I am a huge fan of Jennifer Ashley's historical romances, and I consider her an autobuy (except for the erotic stuff she writes as Allyson James). However, I just didn't love this story. I like the concept of the warriors who all have different goddesses as mothers. However, the pagan religious theme is too heavy in this book. I'm just not into books that deal heavily with the practice of Wicca magic and belief. Not my cup of tea. I also wasn't fond of ...more
Jennifer Ashley
Book 1 of the Immortals.
Laura the Highland Hussy
spoilers in here, but the biggie ones are hidden :)

Wow, ok, this is was a fantastic start to a great series! Adrian is an Immortal. He and his 4 brothers were created by different goddesses and mortal priests so that the world would have 5 demi-gods with compassion for humanity around to pound on the bad guys. Well, 700 yrs ago, Tain, Adrian's brother, one of the Immortals, was captured by a demon and he has been tortured daily since then.

After that, the other brothers all walked away from
Mara
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: pnr
A younger Ms Ashley, I would say. The usual PNR, nice and easy to read, but even easier to forget. It might have improved if the world building had been neater, but the Egyptian warrior might have been Scottish and you wouldn't really have noticed.
There were drama, betrayal and death, but again they were barely a ripple in the pond this story is. (As in no real reaction, no real effects on characters.)

I don't know the other authors who penned the rest of the series, and this book didn't
Robin
May 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
This is the first in the series The Immortals. This book penned by Jennifer Ashley is about the paranormal world. The story starts out with a witch (Amber) who goes to the warehouse where her sister was murdered by a Demon. While there she is confronted by the same demon who killed her sister. He intends on killing her next. Out of nowhere Adrian an Immortal jumps in and rescues Amber. The story revolves around Adrian looking for his lost brother for over 700 years. Amber helps him look and the ...more
Charity
One word. CHEESY. By chapter two, he's in bed with her and she's asking the dumbest question of, "What, are you a size 20?" Cheesy and horrible. The story line would have been good with trying to find out about the dead sister and the missing brother, fighting demons, but I just could not keep going. I found myself rolling my eyes about how he had already figured out that she was the perfect woman before chapter 3 was over.

I guess if you like that sort of thing, more power to you. Not my idea
Edwina Callan
Pure brain candy.
I read a chapter or two at a time, in between reading other books.
And, even though I did enjoy it, it didn't pull me in to the point where I had any trouble laying it aside for days at a time.
Will read the next book in this series before deciding whether or not I care to continue on through the other 6 books.
Birgit
Feb 25, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I love Jennifer Ashley, but I wasn`t drawn into this book. Maybe I`m just not too much into the genre - shifters, werewolves, vampires....
But then again I`ve read some paranormal books I really loved.
Loriidae
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-read
The plot was messy with way too much telling and lots of convenient coincidences. It is an early Jennifer Ashley, that lacks the clarity of writing style found in her later Shifters Unbound series.
J
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this whole series years ago in my rabid PNR days and loved it! as with all Jennifer Ashley highly recommend. I aim to re read the series.
Carolyn F.
This book - hmmm, it seemed all over the place to me. I thought the strong male wasn't that strong. And Amber, just a little too boring for me. I've complained that some of the heroines are so out there, in your face, that it's a little too much. But then I turn around and complain that Amber is boring, I'm never content.

Amber's sister is killed by a demon and she's trying to find out what happened. Adrian goes to help her when the same demon attacks her. He's also looking for his brother Tain,
Lady of the Lake
I liked this book. It wasn't the deepest or the best of PNR but I like immortals I'm not a big fan of werwolves there are a few I liked Vampires are ok but I found I like immortals. I didn't see what Adrian saw in Amber the way she was physicaly described it didn't do much for me but I liked how he was attracted to her innocence and the goodness he saw all through her. I was caught up in it right from the start and now I am moving on directly to the next book in the series Jennifer Ashley ...more
Alaine
Jun 14, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This paranormal romance has most of the usual suspects, vampires, werewolves, shapeshifters, witches and demons. One of the things I have realised whilst reading this book is that I'm not a big fan of demons or immortals. Not sure why? We all have different tastes which is why there are so many authors. I prefer vampires, shapeshifters and werewolves. This book is well written, has plenty of suspense, magic and sexual tension. I would recommend it to paranormal fans of immortal/demon fiction but ...more
Charlotte
Sep 27, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the worst books I have read in a very long time. The H/h were pathetic. When one of the main character dies, I was thrilled. I was hoping that the rest of the cast and crew would get killed off too; so I could have a happy ending. I read this whole book from pure bullheadedness. I kept thinking this HAS got to get better. It didn't. I loved her book about Ian. He was fun. These two. Don't waste you time. I have had more fun reading the back of my cereal box.
Ansu
Mar 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was okay not great because I expected the heroine to have a little more spunk. Amber was a huge let down for me after being called a hereditary witch with amazing powers. This did not help her at any stage and she ended up being a libility to Adian as he always ended up saving her as if she was a regular Jane. This is the reason for a 4 star rating other than that the supporting characters where very nice and Ferrin was great adding a little comic relief to the tension.
Juana "Darkness" Duran
Amber is devistayed when her sister Susan is killed by a very powerful demon. And just when she is about to get killed by the same demon Adrien an immortal comes to the rescue. Along the journey to discover where Adriens brother is and why Susan had to die Amber makes some unlikely aloes. Revelations are made some good and others bad. But will Amber get to keep Adrien? Or will Adrien leave her? Only time will tell.
Sharyn
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am a fan of Ashley's historical and shifter series' but apparently , not her other paranormal ones. The hero of this book was a 5,000 year old Immortal and he falls for a witch. There is a lot of torture in the book, which I basically skimmed whenever it occurred. Also this is a series that is continued by other authors, so I probably won't continue it.
The Book Junkie Reads . . .
Amber is one strong witch to take down a 3000 + year old immortal. Adrian was captivated by a dream. Now the real thing is in his path and their desire grows. This is just he beginning of an intransing series.
Paraphrodite
Apr 09, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened, 2014
Reasonable introduction to the series. Every possible paranormal creature seem to be represented in this first book, except for an angel or a djinn..hehehe..... maybe we'll see them in the next books?
Stacie
Apr 26, 2007 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Paranormal Romance
This one was pretty good. It was something different. The hero is a warrior sent to save innocents from demons. He has a silver arm band that turns into a snake/sword. That was a different twist on the story.
Debrac2014
Interesting reading! The story had a good mix of characters - immortals, witches, demons, vampires, shapeshifters!
Nadine Bookaholic
Word Count: 95,000
Coral
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: second-hand
First things first, this cover is a Photoshop disaster. Gradient overload, random background city street, and a magic lassoed snake, and to top it off a lens flare. And some random white dude - he can't possibly be the hero since he was the son of Isis and an ancient Egyptian priest, so not some Chad looking mofo.
I actually really enjoyed this. It did paranormal very well - the world building was great, and it didn't fuck up the details of actual reality that it inhabited. The writing was good,
Theresa
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While searching for the reason her sister was murdered, Amber, a light witch, is rescued from a demon by Adrian, an Immortal from the times of the ancient Egyptians. He and his brothers were created to protect the balance between the good and dark forces of the world.

This book is packed full of interesting situations and ideas. Dragons and ice caves and Malibu beach homes and demon battles and wonderful love scenes. There not just one, but three romances going on. There’s a lot of spells and
Caryn
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this story! Warriors and witches, vampires and werewolves, and one weredragon! All must come together to fight very old, very strong demons. Adrian is an Immortal, one of 5 warrior brothers. Tain, a brother, has been missing for 700 years. With the help of other supernatural beings, Adrian is determined to find him. He didn't count on falling in love with a cute little witch!
Jo Stevens
I'm not sure if I just didn't like the book as much as I normally would have because it was in audio book format or if it was just dull. I prefer to read for myself. I find it much more engaging than to listen to a book. Because of this I'm giving the book a three but I may change my mind once I get a hard copy.
Sandra R
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars - what an imagination this author has. I enjoyed reading about the paranormal/immortal world Jennifer Ashley has created. Well written with some very steamy scenes. Can be read as a stand alone, but there is an ongoing back story that will be continued in the next books of the series. They feature the other immortal brothers.
Michelle Graves
It was really good that he found her in the nick of x and was finally able 2 find out what excately happen 2 her sister. Thank God his mom was able 2 save her after he made the deal with her about Tain. Good thing they have true friends 2 help with the coven 2 get the rest of the Bros 2gether even though they had 2 go through diff things 1st with a good and goddess
KelticKat
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun and steamy read infused with lore and legend from so many different mythologies.

I adored both Amber and Adrian - both fought fiercely for those they loved. They had an instant connection and tension that continued to draw them together. They also seemed bring out the best in each other.

Tracy DeNeal
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Adrian and Amber

This book kept me turning the pages. This is par for the course with any and all of Jennifer Ashley’s works. It appears that my own writing will suffer during this long holiday weekend. I’m reading The Immortals series!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Nightwalker (Stormwalker, #4)
  • Kiss Of Eon (Eon Warriors, #4)
  • Heart of the Wolf (Heart of the Wolf, #1)
  • Kiss of Fire (Dragonfire, #1)
  • Hawk (The Road Rebels MC #1)
  • Wanted: Undead or Alive (Love at Stake, #12)
  • Firefighter Pegasus (Fire & Rescue Shifters, #2)
  • Destiny of the Wolf (Heart of the Wolf, #2)
  • Firefighter Phoenix (Fire & Rescue Shifters, #7)
  • The Fae Next Door
  • Firefighter Sea Dragon (Fire & Rescue Shifters, #4)
  • Heart of the Highland Wolf (Heart of the Wolf, #7)
  • Atlantis Rising (Warriors of Poseidon, #1)
  • Top Gun Tiger (Protection, Inc., #7)
  • Firefighter Unicorn (Fire & Rescue Shifters, #6)
  • Semi-Charmed (Harper Hall Investigations, #1)
  • Claimed by Power (Empire of Angels, #1)
  • Firefighter Dragon (Fire & Rescue Shifters, #1)
NY Times Bestselling author Jennifer Ashley writes historical, contemporary, and paranormal romance, historical mysteries, and urban fantasy as Jennifer Ashley, Allyson James, and Ashley Gardner.

Jennifer's novels have been translated into many different languages, and earned starred reviews from Booklist and Publisher's Weekly. More about her books at http://www.jenniferashley.com,

Immortals (7 books)
  • The Darkening (Immortals, #2)
  • The Awakening (Immortals, #3)
  • The Gathering (Immortals, #4)
  • The Redeeming (Immortals, #5)
  • The Crossing (Immortals, #6)
  • The Haunting (Immortals, #7)