Start by marking “Madeline in London” as Want to Read:
Madeline in London

Madeline in London (Madeline)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  4,025 Ratings  ·  93 Reviews
Pepito has moved to England. To help celebrate his birthday, Miss Clavel and the girls pay him a visit. When his mother won't let Pepito keep one of his birthday presents--a horse--Madeline is more than willing to help out.
Published May 1st 2000 by Puffin Books (first published January 1st 1961)

To ask other readers questions about Madeline in London, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Madeline in London

LH Johnson
Sep 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Rhythm is a comforting thing in picture books. At a stage when the reader is pre-literate, or developing their literacy, and the book is being delivered in the norm by another, literate, individual, the aural nature of language comes to prominence. Or, to be less wordy, rhythm and rhyme are deliciously divine.

We hear words before we understand them at this stage. We may not even know that they are words, that CAT means CAT and not DOG and that HELLO is not a name, but we do know that they are th
Hilary
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Lovers of childrens books, great illustrations and animals
We love this book, we haven't read it for years. An absolute favourite of my daughter when small, still really enjoyable now.

Madeline and her school goes to London to visit Pepito who has been pining for his friends. They decide to buy him a gift and as they can't afford a young horse they buy a retired horse who brushes up like new.

The horses antics really made my daughter laugh and we love the way he is taken home to the house covered in vines and incorporated into their bedtime routine.

We lo
Matthew
To check out my reviews: http://dancinginth3dark.blogspot.com

This series could have been three books with interesting plots and lessons but in the end I felt as though the author ran out of ideas and put incoherent storylines that either are not believable or raise questions as to why the plot don't make sense. When it comes to the books versus other forms of media, I have to admit that Madeline is better as a television series than book.

Pepito is leaving Paris because his father as the Spanish
Janae
Jul 29, 2015 rated it liked it
My kids are all for renting a horse now. But that's probably because in the book they seem to keep him, not rent him. A fun, random adventure for the twelve little girls in two straight lines. I had to scold myself for being so American, however. I couldn't believe how quick the trip seemed until I remembered that I had a flight from America in my head rather than a flight from France.
Maria
Jun 08, 2008 rated it it was ok
The art in this book is more sophisticate, clear, and vivid than in the prior editions I reviewed. But for the increase in artistic ability there has been a corresponding decrease in literary value. The book is longer and the rhymes seem more forced than usual. I wonder if this book is a classic out of sentimentality more than merit. Why do the Madeline stories endure?
Judy
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: pic-books
There's too much going on in this story. I wonder what I would have thought of it when I was a child.
Johara Almogbel
Jan 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Madeline is one of those characters that is timeless. Also, the illustrations. Why did people stop making illustrations this lively?
Pat
Jun 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Enchanting illustrations and lively story, featuring one of the most beguiling characters in all of children's literature, who travels to London to help her ailing friend, Pepito.
Hapsari Darmastuti
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
These Madeline books are so so enjoyable to read, especially this one, where they went to London.
Shelbi Edinger
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a classic book that I read many times as a child. It teaches the true meaning of friendship and forming relationships. Lending a helping hand can go a long way!
Amber
May 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
3.8
Anna
Jun 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: preschool-lit
The story is... strange. But the illustrations of London make it worthwhile.
Angieleigh
Every night before he has to go to bed, my nephew and I read at least one physical book (sometimes two) and a digital story or two. My mother found these books at her local thrift store and sent them to us to see if he would like to read them.

He LOVES the Madeline series and asks to read one of the six my mother found for us.

I love that each book starts out the same way, with the same rhyming that flows smoothly and tells a great story within its few pages. In this book, the girls' next door ne
Julia Jasztal
Feb 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Mommy's review from 11/07/11 -

Julia and I are trying to make up for lost time with the Madeline books. This one had some parts I liked least out of all of the books (the way the horse was traded around like an inanimate object, the reference to glue) and some parts I loved best (the way the horse wasn't just thrown away, the way the horse was welcomed into the home).
I think all of the Madeline books we've read have been followed along with listening to the audio story and I wouldn't have it any
Ethelen V.
Mar 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: etl2368

Bemelmans, L. (1961). Madeline in London. New York, NY: Viking

Madeline and the girls are invited to visit Pepito in London for his birthday. They bring him a present that would delight most children- a horse! Unfortunately, the horse gets into some mischief and into the garden. He can no longer stay with Pepito, so he goes back home with Madeline.

This book is part of the Madeline series. Like other Madeline books, it has a rhythmic and rhyming text. It's written as a poetic story. Every two lin
Nancy
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I looked at a list on books from the 1900's, and found this Madeline in London book. I put it on hold at our library with some other books. The book I got was a brand new copy. I have seen this story as a movie. I love the Madeline books. We have a discussion group, who have made a challenge to read 10 books from this hundred year period, with books from different ten year periods. This book came out in 1961.

The first page of this book has small drawings of the girls, the the traditional start:
Taressa Williams
The author tells the adventures that Madeline and the gang have in the city of London. The story is about Madeline and friends going on a trip to visit their friend, Pepito, for his birthday. The main characters were Madeline, Pepito, and the horse given to Pepito for his birthday. The book appeals to a younger audience. As a teacher, I would you this text to teach because it was a rhyming book. The students will interact through the illustrations and the riddles used throughout the book. I appr ...more
Rachael Vanderhoof
Apr 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Madeline in London is a wonderful book that tells of Miss Clavel and her girls (including Madeline)and there visit to London. They are going in order to see their royal friend Pepito. For Pepitos birthday the girls bring him a horse as a presnt. Unfortunately, the horse becomes ill. They all decide that it would be best to take the horse back to Paris in order for him to be well-taken care of. This book is truly a children's classic. The plot is fun and creative, and the illustrations are terrif ...more
Jessica Westerman
Oct 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: classic
Madeline in London by Ludwig Bemelmans was not one of my favorite childrens books. I was excited to read the book because I remember watching the movie as a child. However, once I finished the book I was slightly disappointed. The book was written as a poem with every two lines rhyming. The beginning of each line, even if it was not the beginning of a new sentence was capitalized. This confused me at first. It also made it hard to read. The pictures are plain and do not have much color. Overall, ...more
Pat (Get Kids to Read) Tierney
In Madeline in London, Madeline goes on an adventure in London with her friend Pepito. Pepito had to move from Paris to London and is very depressed about being away from his friends. To cheer him up Miss Claveel and the girls travel to London and buy him a horse for his birthday. Pepito and Madeline have a huge adventure all through the city.
The Madeline series is very popular with little girls ages 4-6. If you are looking for a book series for a young girl, you can't go wrong with Madeline. F
Destiny Dawn Long
My daughter and I love Madeline. And she's thrilled to read pretty much any Madeline book. For me, though, I didn't find this story as compelling as others I've read. Part of it might have been that I found it a little absurd that the girls and Miss Clavel would be able to pool their pocket money to buy a horse. And more than that, that anyone would buy a kid a horse without consulting his parents first! And then things become even more pointless.

It's entertaining, I guess, but didn't meet my e
Pricky
Jul 22, 2010 rated it did not like it
How does Madeline endure through the years? The pictures are nice but the poems and stories seem forced. (I like the first part though..in a house in paris all covered with vines...) But Especially, this one...I couldn't stop laughing at how ridiculous the story was...the girls decide to buy a horse, then the horse ends up flying back and living with them...and half the time, the rhythm and rhyme just wasn't right. Some words didn't even rhyme! So I really wonder why this story still endures the ...more
Amber
Nov 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
I love this book! I had no idea that its main character would be a horse. I love how the children save the old horse not once but twice. This is a fun book that explores London and some of its customs. It can also be used for teaching lessons about rhyming. I would have my students pick another city to rhyme about and make characters. I plan to have this book in my reading corner and use it when I am covering world geography and writing.
Kayla
Sep 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Madeline in London is just one of the books in the Madeline series. It follows Madeline and the rest of the boarding school girls to the London embassy for young Pepito's birthday. He gets the horse that he wanted, but it ends up causing mischief so it goes home with Madeline. These stories can be a fun way to introduce rhyme in the classroom. The students can also learn about cities in other countries, such as London and Paris.
Rosa Cline
Jul 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
Madeline is a little girl in a school with 11 other little girls and is overseen by a nun. She is the smallest of the 12 and often is the most adventurous. Her books have been a nice read to my 3 year old granddaughter, nothing fancy or extra ordinary but still nice to read. The nice thing about her is although she often gets into mischief herself she usually knows right from wrong and helps fix things for those around her. A very caring little girl.
Linsey Ward
Apr 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Madeline and her housemates make a trip to London to visit their friend, Pepito, for his birthday. They buy him a horse who eats up an entire garden. When Pepito's mother tells him the horse cannot stay, Madeline decides to bring him home with them. I really like the way the people are drawn in this book. The pictures are very beautiful and complement this rhyming book all throughout.
Irene
Impulse buy while on a book-shopping spree in Waterstones - but not to be regretted. Love the illustrations, so satisfyingly dense with colour; Miss Clavel is almost Chagell-esque. Storyline progresses at great rate: favourite line is about the horse they save "Some poor old dobbins are made into glue, But not this one - Look, he's good as new."
Jennie Park
Madeline in London is one of many stories in a series. These books are so much fun to read because of the adventures that Madeline goes on with her friends. They are always learning new things and experiencing new things as well. It is a book that many children can relate to and make personal connections.
Christina Macleod
I have to admit, the reason I ranked this book as high as a did is because of the illustrations. The most intriguing part of the Madeline books, to me is the artwork. This particular story was not my favorite of the Madeline books, but the artwork is fantastic. You get a glimse inside of London with the accurate and descriptive illustations.
Sheila
Dec 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
This is another nice Madeline story, for those who are fans of the character or the series. This book strongly features Pepito as well as a horse. I enjoyed the part about the horse, my daughter enjoyed the usual rhyming nature of the story. And as usual, I feel sorry for poor Miss Clavel. That woman needs a vacation!
2015 Reading Chal...: Madeline in London by Ludwig Bemelmans 1 9 Sep 21, 2015 01:36PM
  • The Travels of Babar
  • Harry by the Sea
  • Dandelion
  • Curious George and the Puppies
  • Carl's Sleepy Afternoon
Ludwig Bemelmans was an Austrian author, an internationally known gourmand, and a writer and illustrator of children's books. He is most noted today for his Madeline books, six of which were published from 1939-1961. A seventh was discovered after his death and published posthumously in 1999.
More about Ludwig Bemelmans...

Madeline (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Madeline