Start by marking “Of Merlot and Murder” as Want to Read:
Of Merlot and Murder

Of Merlot and Murder (Tangled Vines Mystery #2)

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  69 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Foul play at the festival

When her family's winery becomes one of the sponsors at the Lost Pines Food and Wine Festival, Elise Beckett's spirits soar at the chance to help with their booth. But as the festival gets underway, her cheerful mood turns sour when rival vintner Divia Larson is found dead.

With all clues pointing to her grandmother as the prime suspect, Elise and h
Published September 8th 2014 by Midnight Ink (first published September 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Of Merlot and Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Of Merlot and Murder

Mary
Sep 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received this book for free from Midnight Ink in exchange for my honest opinion.

This was a really fun cozy. I'm fairly new to the genre, but I looked forward to this one with the vineyard setting (wine...what's not to like?) The characters were funny and contemporary, and the story fast paced, slightly sexy, and very entertaining. Oh, and there's a fat cat named "Chunky". My only complaint, and only because I can't relate personally, were the lead character's female sterotypical "can't pass a
Sally906
Apr 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
OF MERLOT AND MURDER is the second book in the Tangled Vines Mystery series – the first one being Grapes of Death which I read last year. The story begins a few months after the events that took place in the first book, Elsie and Jackson are now officially a couple and all is right with the world. River Bend Vineyard, the family winery, has a booth at the upcoming Lost Pines Food and Wine Festival and the family is excited to be part of it. Trouble is the booth opposite belongs to the Third Coas ...more
OpenBookSociety.com
Aug 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: andra

Brought to you by guest reviewer JoAnne

While preparing for the Lost Pines Food and Wine Festival, Elise’s family realize that rival vintner Divia has requested the booth catty-corner from them, which brings her closer to make her snide remarks and backhanded compliments to them and everyone else. Plus, she dislikes Abigail because Abby once dated Divia’s husband Garrett back in high school.

After a particularly distasteful scene at the festival between Divi
Rhonda
Apr 13, 2014 rated it really liked it

4 STARS

I really got a kick out of the main characters. They are fun group of family and friends. I would like to see them again. This is the second book of Tangled Vines Mystery. First one I have read. It does a good job of standing alone, but if you are going to read both of them I suggest reading them in order. (Because It does give up lots of spoilers of the first book) I would still like to read it sometime though.

The suspense of the book was good. Kept me guessing most of the book. Lots
Kim Reads (Read Your Writes Book Reviews)
Read for Read Your Writes Book Reviews
by Gemini

This was by far the best cozy mystery that I have read so far this year. The characters were very likeable and everything that happened was realistic. Considering that the other cozy mysteries I have read included characters that talked to themselves or other inanimate objects, this was refreshing. I was starting to believe that all cozy mysteries had to focus on outrageous characters that could not exist in the real world.

Of Merlot and Murder is t
Robin
Enjoyable read. Had a nice mystery. I really enjoyed the characters.
SE Stone
Dec 23, 2014 rated it liked it
The Beckett family is hard at work to make their booth a success at the Lone Pines Food and Wine Festival. While the Becketts' main competition and Elise's grandmother's arch nemesis, Divia Larson, goes out of her way to bring the sour grapes, the business at River Bend Winery's booth is booming. But then Elise's grandmother discovers Divia dead in her hotel room, and she becomes a prime suspect in the woman's murder. Elise must work together with her sheriff boyfriend in order to clear her gran ...more
Randee Baty
Food and wine in the beautiful Texas hill country should be a winning combination. Unless you trip over a dead body.

Elise Beckett is back for her second outing in the Tangled Vines Mystery series. I enjoyed the first book and this one was better. Elise is helping her family with their booth at the Lost Pines Food and Wine Festival. It’s great publicity for their winery and event center. Lots of local restaurants and local vinyards will be there including Third Coast Winery whose owner just happ
DelAnne Frazee
ASIN: B00MMMCR4G
Reviewer: DelAnne
Reviewed For: NetGalley
Rating: 4 1/2 Stars

With her family sponsoring some of the festivities at the Lost Pine Food and Wine Festival, Elise Becket is looking forward to the fun and festivities. That is until rive Vintner, Divia Larson turns up dead an
LORI CASWELL
Sep 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2014
Dollycas’s Thoughts
Thank goodness Elise and Jax are a couple because any other law enforcement officer would lock her up for her investigating. Sometimes she crosses the line by a mile and it usually ends up with her needing him to come to her rescue. But it does make a great story for us readers to enjoy.

Elise Beckett is a very independent woman with a serious shoe shopping problem but with her grandmother at the top of the suspect list she is not going to sit idly by. She gets into trouble whe
Janice Liedl
Jul 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Another fun outing with Joni Folger's Tangled Vines winery mysteries. Elise is faced with a mystery that will test her family ties as well as her relationship with hunky lawman Jackson. And that's just the fallout from an increasingly complex case that's drawing all of Elise's relatives into the mix, starting with her beloved grandmother who's set up as suspect number one in the death of utterly despicable Divia: wife to a former squeeze of Abigail's.

Elise is supposed to be steering clear of inv
KM
Oct 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The second book in a very fun series. The first is Grapes of Death.
Joni is a good story teller. Her prose and plotting are great, with lots of twists and turns.

Best of all are her characters. Even though it's been a year since I read Grapes of Death, on the very first page the main character came speeding back to me with every turn in the road as she hurries to not be late "again". The previous story also came back in great detail and as she reintroduces each of her main characters, I could pict
Roberta Bettis
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Couldn't put it down once I started. Great storytelling that grabs you straight away and keeps you page turning!

The author has written a great family of characters. You can see their love for each other, but they are written as real family with foibles and dynamics. The dialogue is real, and you really hear each voice in your head as you read.

The heroine is smart & sassy. The hero is strong, brave, smart & caring. A couple of scenes had me near tears. And the climatic reveal had me on th
Susan
Sep 23, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-texas
The family vineyard has a booth at the Lost Pines food and wine festival, unfortunately quite near the booth run by vain, unscrupulous Divia Larson. When Elise's grandmother Abbie finds Divia's body, she becomes a suspect, even though Elise's beau deputy sheriff Jax, is sure she's innocent. But Elise, her siblings, and her best buddy determine to find out some things about the other suspects, in order to clear Abbie. Elise and her sister find themselves in danger from a least-likely suspect.
Babs
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Abigail and Diva are bitter enemies and things take a turn for the worse when Elise helps set up a booth at the festival. When Abigail finds Diva dead she is the number one suspect. What a fun mystery this turned out to be. Abigail is a hoot and Elise tries her best to do what is right and keep things in order. A great read and new to me author I will be checking out.
Thank you NetGalley and Midnight Ink for allowing me to review.
Mysteryfan
May 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Susan Wittig Albert doesn't have a monopoly on murder in the Texas Hill Country. This book is kind of a hard cozy, not too soft. It is set at a vineyard owned and run by a large family. This is the second in the series but it didn't have much recap of the first. A local disagreeable woman is murdered and all sorts of secrets come out. The plot was decent, not too predictable. I'll look for the first one.
Rebecca
Sep 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed the second installment of the vineyard murders! Characters endearing and sassy, the little details that keep you interested, and who wouldn't love a fat cat named Chunky? Love love love the wait to the end to find out who "done it".
Alycia
Feb 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy, mystery, m-z
For a series of mysteries centered around a winery, there is less talk of wine and fewer people drinking wine than most other books I read. MC guzzles diet soda, but I don't recall her drinking any wine.
Lisa
Sep 05, 2014 rated it liked it
I received a copy from the publisher via netgalley in exchange for my honest opinion.

The book's plot kept me interested, the fledgling romance between Elise and Deputy Jackson Landry has plenty of chemistry, and Elise and her spunky family are fun. I look forward to more books in this series.
Merrill
this was a highly enjoyable cozy mystery! I thought it stood out from other books from it genre b/c it had both p.o.v of the Amateur Sleuth and the local sheriff sides of the investigation. I will totally read the hole series.
Monica
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another fun read. Can't wait for more books in this series. I love the characters. Good mystery too.
Lark of The Bookwyrm's Hoard
Decent mystery, but marred for me by the main character's willful disregard for police procedure, personal safety, and common sense. Full review to come.
Stephanie Tadlock
May 31, 2015 rated it liked it
Good read
Jo
Nov 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Loved this book! The combination of murder mystery with great addition of wine making and vineyards!! Anxious to read the rest of the series!!
Jessica Rather
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Season of Shadow and Light
  • Meant To Be
  • Only We Know
  • Snowbound in Montana (Carrigans of the Circle C, #4)
  • Breaking The Drought
  • The Garden of Darkness
  • Skyfire (Chasing the Valley #3)
  • The Maxwell Sisters
  • The Sunnyvale Girls
  • The Fairy Tale Bride (Montana Born Brides, #1)
  • Tease Me, Cowboy (76th Copper Mountain Rodeo #1; The Davis Sisters #1)
  • Burnt
  • The House At The Bottom Of The Hill (Swallows Fall Book 3)
  • Something Wiki
  • Dancing on Knives
  • Deeper Water
  • A Killer Retreat (Downward Dog Mystery, #2)
  • Batter Up (Bachelors of Buttermilk Falls, #1)
Also published under J.G. Sauer

A native of Oregon, I spent twenty-two years with an airline traveling and moving around the country before settling down near the beautiful Pacific Ocean with my three very spoiled cats.

I was lucky enough to find an outlet for my creativity and healthy imagination the moment I stepped out onto my first theater stage. After 20 years of theater, I still enjoy performi
More about Joni Folger

Tangled Vines Mystery (3 books)
  • Grapes of Death (Tangled Vines Mystery #1)
  • Performance of a Deadly Vintage