Start by marking “Tap to Play!” as Want to Read:
Tap to Play!

Tap to Play!

Tap to play!

Blip has to reach the bar to win his game--but he needs your help. If he wins, he gets a surprise!

Bounce Blip, shake Blip, tilt him and tickle him!

Help Blip win the game in this spirited interactive picture book, perfect for reading--and playing--again and again!
Published October 7th 2014 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about Tap to Play!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tap to Play!

Start your review of Tap to Play!
Elisabeth
Oct 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
Salina Yoon is so fabulous, I'm disappointed she jumped on the trend of ripping off Press Here. I understand that this type of book is now a thing, like seek-and-find books, and soon they might even have their own designation...but right now it just smacks of copy-catism.
Kristina Jean Lareau
Another Press Here rip-off that has none of the novelty or originality of the first.
Kris
Jan 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute, but it is a rip-off of Press Here. It is really, really close to it, and I am not exactly sure how the author got away with it.
Kelsey
Oct 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: k-2nd, interactive
Age: K-2nd grade

To repeat the masses, I love Salina Yoon but this book fell way flat with no originality. It didn't feel like the red dot had any character so I didn't care about getting it to where it wanted to go. The disappearing bar was also a little weird. I believe it was trying to imitate video games but missed the mark. Seek out other interactive books and pass this one.
Angie
Dec 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Everyone seems to be jumping on the interactive book bandwagon after the success of Press Here. While this is a fun little book it doesn't quite have the charm and uniqueness of the original.
Mary
Oct 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Very similar to Press Here by Tullet, but written in first person (we're helping a red dot win a game, and therefore, a surprise). Silly and fun - but I prefer Press Here.
Jocelin
Nov 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
Really disappointed in this one. The illustrations are cute enough but, the story is not really engaging. Just ok.
Lindsay
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My son was busting out laughing while reading this book. You have to help Blip get to the top bar on the other side of the page and so Blip asks the reader to shake and flip the book in all sorts of ways, the only things is, we are making him dizzy. Each page is full of something new and waiting to see what will happen next is part of the excitement. Its a very fun book to read and play with.
Brittany
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I want to read this as a read-aloud to a group ASAP. Such a fun book!
Erica Flory
Dec 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
bleep
Mollie
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
It was okay but not as enjoyable as similar books like "Press Here" and its sequels.
Jillian
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
Another reader-participation book, with a.... sort of new take?
It just really didn't do much for me. This one has too much tilting and shaking and is really just for one person.
Hannah
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A really fun interactive book!! My boys loved playing it while reading!
Banner Rodgers
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fun interactive book.
Kati
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Based on the Blip from Wreck it Ralph he has the reader help him beat the game. As the reader you interact with the book to help Blip. Fun way to get kids actively involved in their reading.
Margaret Chind
Very funny and interactive! I read an advanced opt and these pages are fairly durable pages, I assume the finished book will be very durable to last the shaking, tilting, and tapping also. From the way I enjoyed The Monster at the End of this Book - I have high hopes for little people responses to this one. Definitely going to be fun...

Genre: Juvenile Fiction / Concepts / General
Ages 4 to 8, Grades P to 3
Pages: 40 Hardcover 8.5x8.5"
Date Published: October 7, 2014
Publisher:
Amy Rae
Oct 07, 2014 rated it liked it
It's interesting that Tap to Play! overtly presents the book as a video game of sorts, a comparison that interactive books invite but don't usually acknowledge in the text. Other than that, it's standard interactive-book stuff: tap, blow, shake, speak, and so on. I'm sure this one's fun to read aloud with little kids, but it feels trend-chasing, similar to Patrick McDonnell's A Perfectly Messed-Up Story.
Michaela Baillie
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I love this book. It is a very simple book about a game. The reader has to move the book around the ways Blip says in order to get him on the bar to get the surprise. This is probably a book I would always have on hand even though it has very simple wording, it is fun for everyone. It is interactive and fun for kids and a good way to get students who don't necessarily like reading to have fun with a book.
Tam
Jun 13, 2015 rated it did not like it
My 8-year-old loves the book "Press Here" by Herve Tullet but didn't bother to finish "Tap to Play!". Even at his age he could tell this book was a knock off but he asked me why this one was so boring. One part says to turn the book over so we expected the next page would have the words upside down but it didn't. It doesn't tell you the bar is counting down so your child has to be smart enough to figure that out. Very disappointing book.
Megan
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
I was disappointed in this book. Both of my daughters had the same reaction to this book that I did. We wanted it to have a super cute ending that would make the book enjoyable. The one good thing I do have to say is that the copy we read has very durable pages! I absolutely hate when interactive picture books for children have cheap and thin pages that will rip the first time a kid flips a flap or whatnot! They all need pages just like the ones in this book.
Sheri
Nov 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Read this book by the author recommended by T. Lazar. I had heard about from her new book and wanted to see this one. She is the author/illustrator and this one is like playing a video game so will appeal to kids up to age 8 or 10. The book asks the reader to follow his prompts to make things happen. Very clever ideas.
Carol
Obviously this book is going to draw a lot of comparisons to "Press Here". However, I actually liked this one more. The character is cute and there is a bit of a storyline which is always nice in a book. Regardless of any similarities to other books, "Tap to Play" will be a fun book to read with toddlers.
Katie Hall
Illustrator:
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Date: October 7, 2014
Genre: Fiction
This book would be a great book for beginning readers. This book helps the reader be active and involved in the book. Not a book I would use for read aloud, but would highly recommend for a student who is just learning to read.
Kelsey Rippe
Nov 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edu-365
Tap to Play is an interactive book where readers are challenged to help Blip "win the game." Along the way, readers tilt, shake, touch, and talk to interact with Blip. This is a good book to help introduce and engage children with reading.
Mary
This is another book in the style of Tap the Magic Tree and Press Here, but this one has an added bonus for gamers because of the main character and the ultimate goal of the book. It is a good read for an interactive storytime or participation between parent and child.
Callie
Jan 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Read this with my 4 yr old. He really likes the actions and participating in it. The story is extremely basic, a video game character needs help to complete the game, but it's fun to be an active part of the story. We got this from the library and have read it multiple times.
Madison
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My preschool aged child LOVED this book. He giggled, he tapped, and he spoke as we read together. Similar to Press Here by Herve Tullet, the book prompts you to do various actions to accomplish a goal. This book makes sure that reader and listener are completely engaged.
Carol
Dec 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: elementary-books
Another great interactive book. Readers will have to help this little red guy win the game by turning, tapping, flapping and other actions with the book. Read this one at story time with a couple of helpers!
Monique
Feb 03, 2015 rated it liked it
I always love Salina Yoon's titles but this one was a little flat. Its great when reading one-on-one with a child or two but not as easy to use with a storytime group or class. Blip is cute and I enjoyed when he met his new friend at the end.
Sarah Ashburn
Oct 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edu-365
Love this book for young children. I really enjoyed the interaction that takes place between the reader and the book. I think that this would be a great book for reading allowed to young children and also would be a good book for students who are struggling with motor skills. Very interactive!

• Little Dinos Don't Bite
  • A Hat for Minerva Louise
  • Mix It Up (Interactive Books for Toddlers, Learning Colors for Toddlers, Preschool and Kindergarten Reading Books)
  • The Digger and the Flower
  • Goodbye Summer, Hello Autumn
  • Play This Book
  • Good Night, Little Blue Truck
  • Little Blue Truck
  • Alphaprints Sea Life
  • Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You?
  • Alan's Big, Scary Teeth
  • Pete the Cat and His Magic Sunglasses
  • Get Out of My Bath!
  • Together
  • Pete the Cat: The Petes Go Marching
  • Little Blue Truck's Halloween
  • Alphaprints: Rocky Raccoon and Other Woodland Friends
  • Will Giraffe Laugh?
Salina Yoon is an award-winning author/illustrator of over 150 books for children, including Penguin and Pinecone, Penguin on Vacation, Penguin in Love, Penguin and Pumpkin, Penguin's Big Adventure, Found, and Stormy Night.

Her latest book, Be a Friend, was a Winter 2015-2016 Kids' Indie Next Pick. Among her other awards are a Scholastic Teachers Top 10 Picture Book for Penguin's Big Adventure, an