Start by marking “School of Sewing: Learn it. Teach it. Sew Together.” as Want to Read:
School of Sewing: Learn it. Teach it. Sew Together.

School of Sewing: Learn it. Teach it. Sew Together.

Follow in the footsteps of a real group of beginner sewists who came together with author, Shea Henderson, to have her teach them on thing: to learn to use their sewing machines. The result of their journey is this learn-to-sew bible covering everything from the anatomy of a sewing machine, fabrics, essential tools and basic sewing techniques geared to the first-timer. Ben ...more
Published October 27th 2014 by Lucky Spool (first published September 9th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about School of Sewing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about School of Sewing

Karie
May 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: own-on-paper
I haven't made all of the projects in this book, but I have read through it all and worked through the first few. I like the concept of this book so much. However, as a newbie sewist trying to teach myself with this book, there are a few things that don't work for me.

1) Some really important instructions are in the margins and not completely obvious. I had to re-cut some fabric because of this.

2) The way it is worded seems to be geared more towards a knowledgeable sewist using this as a guide to
Erika Mulvenna
Nov 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sewing
A completely different type of lean-to-sew book geared towards teaching students to feel confident in completing simple projects. While most books on the subject of learning to sew seem to be either huge volumes packing in as much information as possible or so simple that they only teach a small set of skills, this seems to be the perfect compromise. In this book you will learn well-rounded basics of sewing including tools of the trade, materials, and how to use your sewing machine - all while c ...more
Debra
This book has 12 beginner sewing projects for adults. It was designed for a group of friends to meet and work on one project per month. The projects include a zipper pouch, a tote bag, even a quilt. Recommended!
Lafrog8
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sewing-books
A different type of sewing book: probably more for an experienced sewist who is keen to share their skills with less experienced sewists. It shows you the basic skills that are worth teaching as well as beginners projects. Although I have not read it in details it probably would be a great tool to help me teach friends (or my boys) a bit more about sewing.
Madam Pink Justice
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A book that is truly for the beginner. I love how she simply explained the sewing terms and how clearly she explained the projects. I will actually do a couple of the projects in this books. The projects are listed in order to complete them as a beginner, starting with the simplest project first.
Robin Dini
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing tutorial on the basics of sewing. I bought this as a refresher for my rusty skills. It was assigned as text for a local sewing group and I grabbed a copy to have as reference. The pictures and steps make this an essential must have at my sewing table.
Amy
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is wonderful for learning foundational sewing skills and building confidence as a sewer. The first part of the book is really helpful because it walks through how to get started sewing -- choosing a sewing machine (her advice really helped me choose my new machine), fabrics, tools, basic techniques. The second part features instructions for 12 modern accessories and home decor projects that are really fun to make and allow for lots of exploration with fabrics. These project get increme ...more
Mackenzie
Jan 23, 2016 rated it liked it
If you are a total beginner, the instructions in this book are not completely clear. You'll end up having to use your seam ripper and then look to the Internet for clarification.
Leigh
Mar 01, 2019
Meredith
Feb 02, 2019
Allyson
Sep 26, 2015
Peggy Mahabir
rated it did not like it
Jun 16, 2018