Start by marking “Crucial Evidence” as Want to Read:
Crucial Evidence

Read Book

Crucial Evidence

Lenny Barker is pleading not guilty to the brutal murder of prostitute Shelley Paulson, while his defence barrister Cassie Hardman is left in no doubt of his guilt - that is until shelearns of compelling new evidence in the highprofile case to which only she is privy.
Risking her future career and her ambition to become a QC, Cassie Hardman seeks a fair trial for the accu
Published January 14th 2014 by New Generation Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Crucial Evidence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crucial Evidence

The Firm by Robin WaterfieldA Time to Kill by John GrishamThe Lincoln Lawyer by Michael ConnellyThe Pelican Brief by John GrishamThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
Legal Thrillers
210 books — 399 voters
Déjà Dead by Kathy ReichsThe Bone Collector by Jeffery DeaverPostmortem by Patricia Daniels CornwellThe Surgeon by Tess GerritsenBare Bones by Kathy Reichs
Forensic Fiction
126 books — 116 voters

More lists with this book...

Lili
Mar 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: a, kindle, crime-fiction
Debut novel by this author drawing on her own experiences at the English Bar; an intriguing courtroom drama with some interesting characters. Cassie a determined young barrister is instructed by her Chambers to defend a young man who has been arrested for the murder of a young woman who had worked as an escort. A very believable and compulsive account of the trial and an insight into the inner workings at The Old Bailey in the pursuit of Justice. Certainly an author to keep an eye on.
Eve Wheaton
Mar 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
What a great debut. Margaret Barnes knows what she's writing about. As an ex barrister her attention to detail is immaculate and gives a reader a real feel for the process of legal justice. This is crime fiction made real by a great authority. I look forward to seeing the development of the characters in books to come.
Sarah-Jayne Briggs
(I received this book for free as part of Goodreads First Reads giveaways).

(This review may contain spoilers).

Ideally, I'd give this book 3.5 stars, but since I can't give half stars...

I've watched a lot of murder mysteries, but the only show revolving around court cases I could really get into was Shark. Therefore, my experience with what goes on in court is very limited - I don't like to know who the murderer is from the start. (It's why I could never get into Columbo).

This isn't as much about
Geraldine O'Donnell
Apr 18, 2014 rated it liked it
This debut novel engaged the reader throughout, with a well constructed plot and believable characters. The author, an experienced barrister, provides enough detail to allow the reader an insight into legal proceedings.

I have rated a number of books that provide "benchmarks" and have awarded only three stars on account of the lack of expert editing which has let down a talented author.
I am sure that Margaret Barnes has more stories to tell and I look forward to her next publication.
A very pro
susan murray
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Lenny barker is accused of murder and Cassie his barrister has to defend him. Lenny is confused when arrested and admits being in the park and Cassie
Believes him to be not guilty but how to prove it. Cassie puts her career on the line trying to help Lenny and gets help in the end from an unexpected source. The story is excellent keeps you interested from beginning to end would recommend to anyone interested in detective stories.
Judy Birkbeck
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
A well-paced novel, offering great insights into the fascinating and intimating world of the courtroom, and the nepotism and misogyny of the predominantly white Anglo-Saxon male legal profession. I loved the judge playing with his model yacht in his room, and this bit: "He gathered his gown up like a duck's tail, and sat down with a dramatic flourish of his hands as he released the material."
Elizabeth Ducie
Susan
Clare Morris
Rachel Gilbey
Mar 03, 2014
Crucial Evidence is my first novel and draws on my experiences as a barrister defending in the Criminal Courts. During my career at the Bar I have represented murderers, rapist and robbers. A jury speech is just a way of telling a good story only one can't invent the evidence.
I have always wanted to write a novel, but until retirement I didn't have the time.
I did an MA in Creative Writing at Exe