Start by marking “Hangtown (Janelle Watkins, Private Investigator, #2)” as Want to Read:
Hangtown (Janelle Watkins, Private Investigator, #2)

Hangtown (Janelle Watkins, Private Investigator #2)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  19 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Marooned in her despised hometown of Greenville, California, private investigator Janelle Watkins wants nothing more than to keep her head down and make enough money to move back to the City. But even in the sleepy town of Greenville, the edgy, smart-mouthed private investigator seems to attract mayhem.

It starts with the apparent suicide of a nineteen year-old off a highw
Published June 24th 2014 by Exhibit A (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Hangtown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hangtown

Dan 1.0
When a teenager is found hanging from a bridge near her house, Detective Janelle Watkins doesn't think it's suicide. But does that have anything to do with the threatening texts Janelle has been getting?

I got this from Netgalley.

Damaged goods P.I. Janelle Watkins is back in another thriller from Karen Sandler. She's no longer burning herself but Hangtown explores more of the darker aspects of her past, namely a string of anonymous bar hook-ups, in the course of her investigations.

Multiple thread
Carolyn Injoy
Jun 19, 2014 Carolyn Injoy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: killer, thriller, murder, mystery readers
Recommended to Carolyn by: NetGalley
I received this 5 star book from NetGalley for review & loved it! It kept me turning the pages into the wee hours of the morning.

Karen Sandler's Hangtown kept me guessing until the final chapter. It is an excellent story with well-drawn characters that made me want to read the first AND the next book about Detective Janelle Watkins.

The dialogue is realistic & the plot was exciting. I am so happy to have discovered a talented author with an established series. I highly recommend this boo
Lynda Birch
Jun 25, 2014 Lynda Birch rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who like, mystery, detective novels, women sleuths
Shelves: mystery
This review is a partial excerpt from my blog http://birch-bark.blogspot.ca/

There are a number of tangled threads in this web of a plot involving past indiscretions. As the cover says "no secret can ever stay buried.." and this is key to the plot and the characters, including Janelle and a very dark period in her life. There is also the ongoing theme of children being abandoned, physically and/or emotionally, by less than adequate parents. As we learn more about Janelle's past and her ongoing ps
Daniel
This review originally published in Looking For a Good Book. Rated 3.0/5

Janelle Watkins is a private investigator, damaged physically and emotionally, and currently living in her hometown, a small community of Greenville. She used to be a detective in San Francisco but is currently not able to go back to that line of work, hence her PI work, living in a trailer home that was left to her by her abusive father.

Janelle discovers a teenage dead, hanging from a bridge near her home. A number of clues
Rakib_khan
First things first, I got this book from NetGalley, so thank you netgalley and Angry Robots for this opportunity.
For a mystery/thriller book that is written in first person the main character needs to be unique and interesting to drive the story and 'Hangtown' has that for sure. Janelle is a fascinating character with a haunting past; strong exterior; deep seated psychological issues and quick wits. Although the last part of the suspense & thrill does not really match that beginning and midd
Sandy
This is the second in a series & after the events of the first, PI Janelle Watkins is now living in a motorhome in Greenville, California. She grew up here & the land is the only thing her monster of a father ever gave her. The fact he had the decency to die first is a bonus.
She is soon caught up in the apparent suicide of a local teenage boy after finding the body. The autopsy throws up some suspicious questions. Then a former pastor asks her to find a young man who has disappeared. At
Suzanne
Thanks to Net Galley for the review copy. This book is released on 24th June 2014.

Hangtown is the second book in the series featuring Private Detective Janelle Watkins. Janelle is back living in her hometown of Greenville and living in a trailer, after leaving her job as a police officer in San Francisco. It’s the last place Janelle wants to be, it’s where she endured a miserable childhood and is also the home of her on/off boyfriend Sheriff Ken Heinz.

The story begins with Janelle and the Sheri
OpenBookSociety.com

Brought to you by OBS Reviewer Jeanie

*Beware of Spoilers*

Hangtown, the second book in the Janelle Watkins, Private Investigator series, can be read as a stand-alone novel; I have not yet read the first one and found this one to be satisfyingly complete in itself. Janelle still suffers from the results of a gunshot wound from when she was with the San Francisco Police Department, and much to her frustration, it limits her ability to run, climb, or even, at
Vanessa Delamare
What's good in that book

The first advantage is that it's not necessary to have read the first book to read this one. Although the two volumes relate to the same city and the same characters, it's two independent stories. I also liked to know more about Janelle's past. In Clean Burn we learned more about Janelle's childhood and in Hangtown, her most recent past is revealed. This book talks about the secrets that can hide in a small town, the silences and unspoken. Although the plot is not the str
Tonya
I received this novel from Netgalley and Angry Robot. Hangtown will be released on June 24th, and I would highly recommend that anyone who loves a good mystery to pick it up!

Janelle is a former police detective with the SFPD. After a shooting, she is back in her small hometown running a small private detective agency out of her home, and planning on saving up and moving back to the city. She is not planning on hooking back up with Ken, or becoming involved in an apparent murder of a teenage boy
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

Karen Sandler's Hangtown is the second gritty mystery novel to feature private investigator, Janelle Watkins, picking up about a year after the events that took place in Clean Burn.

Janelle is still in Greenville, California, living in a trailer on the property left to her by her father, but with every intention of heading back to San Francisco as soon as she can scrape together enough money. In the meantime she picks up whatever work comes her way, from surveillance gigs to insurance jobs and s
Don O'goodreader
I won a copy of this book in a Goodreads First Reads giveaway on July 3, 2014.

Unfortunately, due to unforeseen circumstances, the book will no longer be published.

Obviously, I have not read this book - it is not being published.

In order to clear my to-read list, I have given the book, its average rating (how did those other readers rate it I wonder?) and marked it read (a white lie).
Lorraine Baker
I was unable to read this as the publisher did not go ahead with the book
Coyote
Coyote marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Krista
Krista marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Gbelle
Gbelle marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Rosemary
Rosemary marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
♥Juvia♥
♥Juvia♥ marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Patti
Patti marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Yesenia
Yesenia marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Arlene
Arlene marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Tandi Rios
Tandi Rios marked it as to-read
Susan Edgerton
Susan Edgerton marked it as to-read
Shelley
Shelley marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
  • The Killing Club (DS Heckenburg, #3)
  • Butterfly Kills: A Stonechild and Rouleau Mystery
  • The Evil Beneath
  • The 45% Hangover
  • The Younger Gods (Younger Gods, #1)
  • Faith, Hope, and Murder: A Community of Faith Mystery
  • Thicker Than Water (Jessica Daniel, #6)
  • The House of Dolls (Pieter Vos, #1)
  • Pariah
  • Hard Road: A Jon Reznick Thriller
  • Cuban Sun (Sofia Koury, #1)
  • An Unattended Death
  • The Revenge of Moriarty (Professor Moriarty, #2)
  • The Murder Code
  • Letters From a Murderer: The First Jameson & Argenti Investigation
  • Crossing the Line (Paris Homicide, #2)
  • Dead Lions (Slough House, #2)
  • The Exodus Towers (Dire Earth Cycle, #2)
Karen Sandler published numerous romances for adults in the late '90s and early 2000s, then shifted to young adult science fiction in 2011 with the publication of TANKBORN by Lee and Low/Tu Books. AWAKENING, the second book in the trilogy, is now available. The third book will be released in Spring 2014.

Determined to let no genre stone be left unturned, Karen is also looking forward to the publica
More about Karen Sandler...

Janelle Watkins, Private Investigator (2 books)
  • Clean Burn (Janelle Watkins, Private Investigator, #1)
Tankborn (Tankborn, #1) Awakening (Tankborn, #2) Rebellion (Tankborn, #3) The Family He Wanted (Fostering Family, #2) (Silhouette Special Edition, #1968) Clean Burn (Janelle Watkins, Private Investigator, #1)