Start by marking “Among Animals: The Lives of Animals and Humans in Contemporary Short Fiction” as Want to Read:
Among Animals: The Lives of Animals and Humans in Contemporary Short Fiction

Among Animals: The Lives of Animals and Humans in Contemporary Short Fiction

"Any animal lover or connoisseur of high-quality fiction will appreciate this collection and the artistry of its contributors."
— Booklist

"Very fine literary fiction."
— The Chattahoochee Review

"Among Animals is as provocative as it is urgent, and as accessible as it is emotional."
— The Goose: A Journal of Arts, Environment, and Culture in Canada

The relationships among human
Published February 1st 2014 by Ashland Creek Press

To ask other readers questions about Among Animals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Among Animals

Start your review of Among Animals: The Lives of Animals and Humans in Contemporary Short Fiction
Ti
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-sent-to-me
The Short of It:

A deeply introspective look at the role of animals in society.

The Rest of It:

This is a powerful, and I’ll admit, at times, unsettling collection of short stories that center around animals and their place in society. I expected most of the stories to center around “man’s best friend” but the collection goes much deeper than that.

These stories include a man’s infatuation with a bird, a story told from a stray dog’s point of view, a woman impregnated (magically speaking) by a dolph
Stephanie
Jan 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really didn't know what I was getting into when I won this book, but I was glad that I did. This is a compilation of fictional short stories from a variety of authors that showcase the relationships between animals and humans. Through these stories, we are reminded that the way we treat animals reflects back on us as humans.

Some thoughts on my favorite stories in the compilation:

Litter: Told from a stray dog's point of view as the dog tries to survive on the streets and an examines the relatio
Debbie Heaton
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Among Animals is a diverse collection of short stories regarding the relationships between human and non-human animals. The stories explore how we live and survive with both domestic and exotic animals. This is truly an amazing collection of stories that will inspire the reader to take a closer look at the animals in their life.

Animal lovers will most definitely want to check this collection out.

Jackie
Feb 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
The short stories in this book are about humans and their story. The animals in these stories are showing how the humans live their lives. It’s not a warm and fuzzy relationship. It is an interesting relationship. Some of these stories will make you think about how you are living your life.
Bobby
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Among Animals touts itself as a collection of short stories "from the world's most gifted contemporary authors" and that these stories "inspire us to pay closer attention ["to the creatures with whom we share the planet"] . As far as the authors go, I'm not intimately familiar with any of them, not that that means they're not great writers. These stories are well written and avoid cliched ways of presenting the stories. Also, these authors do not tend to indulge in any "dreaded anthropomorphism. ...more
Nathan Schmidt
May 10, 2014 rated it liked it
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads, and am grateful for the opportunity.

The short stories in the anthology covered a lot of ground in the animal kingdom, from house pets to wild animals. The style of writing also varied, with one having an almost magical realism element to it and another actually going into the mind of the animal.

What I liked about the stories in general was that they were all relatively balanced - they weren't patronizingly naive about nature, but even
Joanne
Mar 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-books-read
This book of short stories was absolutely fascinating. The need for humans to study and understand animals is so prevalent. One story really got to me. Greyhound has made me think about looking into adopting said breed.
All of the stories were not as compelling, but brought to mind all of the fascination we as humans have for other creatures. The world would not be as fascinating without all the other creatures.
Mindy Mejia
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: shorts, ecolit
There are no Hollywood endings in this absorbing and challenging collection. You will wonder, you will ache, you will think deeply about the animals that surround your life, and after experiencing these fresh and startlingly honest stories you will no longer take any form of life for granted.
Martha Jackson
Mar 23, 2020
Hannah
Mar 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: full-reviews
*Ashland Creek Press sent me these books in exchange for review but that in no way influences my opinions on the novels!*

Title: Among Animals

Editor: John Yunker

Rating: 3/5 Stars

Genre: Contemporary Short Fiction

Publisher: Ashland Creek Press

Format Read: Paperpack

Synopsis: A collection of short stories depicting animals and humans and their intermingled relationship in society. This collection of contemporary short fiction explores the ways in which animals impact humans, and how humans impact ani
Helia Rethmann
Oct 30, 2016
C.S. Malerich
Feb 27, 2014
John Yunker
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Midge

• Go with the Flow
  • Girotondo
  • Goodbye Stranger
  • Bon no kuni. Il festival delle lanterne
  • The Wizards of Once (The Wizards of Once #1)
  • When You Reach Me
  • Othello
  • Adam
  • Neanderthal Opens the Door to the Universe
  • Dirty Butterfly
  • All Summer Long (Eagle Rock #1)
  • The Wizerd Vol. 1: And the Potion of Dreams!
  • The Lives of Animals
John Yunker is a writer of plays, short stories and novels focused on human/animal relationships.

He is co-founder of Ashland Creek Press, a vegan-owned publisher devoted to environmental and animal rights literature. He is author of the novel The Tourist Trail and the forthcoming novel Where Oceans Hide Their Dead.

His full-length play Meat the Parents was a finalist at the Centre Stage New Play Fe