Start by marking “Be Our Guest: Perfecting the art of customer service” as Want to Read:
Be Our Guest: Perfecting the art of customer service

Be Our Guest: Perfecting the art of customer service

Reveals the behind-the-scenes strategies, principles, and processes of the Disney approach to exceptional customer service, which emphasizes the best ways to provide quality service to one's customers. Reprint. 25,000 first printing.
Published June 1st 2003 by Disney Editions (first published May 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Be Our Guest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Be Our Guest

Jeremy
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
I sometimes wonder if companies purposely write hypnotically boring business books to make readers lose interest in discovering the real trade secrets.

Going into "Be Our Guest", I was hoping for juicy details about Disney's creepily scientific customer service (i.e. the way they subtly manipulate your emotional state with music and visual cues), but it read just like your typical business book. If you like bland execu-speak and forced acronyms that help you remember corporate values, then this
Matthew
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a pastor and leader, I am always trying to think of what I can do to create an environment that will open up people's hearts to the most important truths in the world. If anyone understands how to create compelling environments, it's Disney.

Some of my favorite thoughts in the book were:

"Quality service means exceeding your guest's expectations and paying attention to detail."

"Everything speaks." (in other words, everything in your environments is saying something)

"My business is making peopl
Diz
Sep 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
The book provides an overview of the management process that is used at the Disney parks. The examples of how the parks are run are fun to read, but this book also provides examples from other companies that have attended Disney business seminars. Those examples are a bit dull and drag the book down a bit. Also, it should be noted that some of the examples from outside companies date the book a bit. For example, Toys "R" Us is held up as an example of a company that put greater effort on custome ...more
Valerie
Mar 29, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Being a huge Disney fan, I really wanted to love this book. And the behind the scenes peek at things that one would normally not learn unless they were a Disney employee about the way they deliver an unparalleled experience was quite entertaining.

However there wasn't enough practical application to make this a useful book for trying to evaluate my own corporate culture. Some exercises to apply the Disney philosophy to other industries would have made this more helpful.
Terry Engel
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quality Service:
“Exceed the expectation of our guests and pay attention to detail “
Simple things done to the asymptote defines what every business should strive for. Disney certainly does this better than any other.
Dorsch and Navarre Branch Libraries
Be Our Guest : Perfecting the art of customer service

We all share the same goal – satisfied customers

Disney in In Search of Excellence

Long term success depends on our ability to motivate people, one day at a time and one innovation at a time

Disney approaches
- Quality service
- Creativity
- Innovation
- Leadership
- Loyalty
- Supply chain excellence

Training programs connect companies to their
- Own heritage
- Values
- People
- Guests

Trends come and go – companies need to mobilize the
- Brainpower
- Passi
Jenny Bunting
Since I am fascinated by all things Disney right now, I was wondering if I could gain any value from listening to this book. I work in a position that is essentially customer service so I hoped I could get a couple nuggets.

This is a book marketed to companies who want to use Disney tactics to up their business and customer service. This book somewhat bamboozles the audience with the bait and switch. It’s tough to recreate Disney magic in a not-fun industry (like computer software or in my case,
Stephen Simpson
Dec 12, 2018 rated it liked it
The "secret sauce" that Disney uses for customer service is actually pretty simple, and I'm sure there will be/are many reviews criticizing it for its simplicity, but that's the thing about business strategy - most effective strategies actually ARE very simple. The trick is finding managers who can execute them consistently and who can find and motivate employees to follow them.

The book is a little light on implementation, but the reality is that every business/industry will have some pretty sp
Victoria Budkey
Jan 20, 2019 rated it liked it
A bit outdated but good tactics and understanding of customer service magic!
Jen
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book, own, work
As a former Cast Member who was also part of the Disney University, I really enjoyed this book. It’s a great introduction into how Disney is so successful and consistent.
Greg
May 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Any organization serious about quality improvement
Recommended to Greg by: Victor Boschini, TCU Chancellor
The Disney Institute has written a very interesting book describing Disney's approach to providing world class service to their "guests." In a clear and compelling style, Be Our Guest outlines principles of service quality that can be readily adapted to the needs of most organizations. The quality service cycle is introduced, with its focus on (a) a service theme, (b) service standards, (c) delivery systems, and (d) integration of them all into one coherent whole. They emphasize the importance o ...more
Eduardo Hernandez
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I work as director of online education in a local university and while being at Disney World I realized that the most important thing was the experience not the rides themselves so I thought to myself what if I could take and apply this vision to the online education world making the experience of students more than just a sequence of courses, making them feel as a global experience. So I started analyze Disney from a management point of view. I read a couple of books, I saw different videos on ...more
Sheila
Jun 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
A very good book on customer service, and how to provide better customer service. The philosophy in this book is based on how Disney trains all of their employees, and there is a lot of information on the Disney corporation, but there is also a lot of useful information here that can be applied by any business owner of any size business.

The only difficulty I see is how to get your employees to buy into this philosophy.
Ted
Aug 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
All I can say is that when you read this book you need to really appreciate the lengths that Walt went to to create the ultimate playland for kids. He used ideas and studied people to find out what works that no one had done before. All to create a place that was safe and secure. If you get nothing out of this book you're not trying.
Andrew Carretto
Apr 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009-books
Tremendous book. It is great to read the behind the scenes view of one of the most amazing corporations in history. Nothing is done by chance. It had great tie ins to other corporations and how every industry can run with the same principles. One of the better self help business books that I have read. Definitely recommend if you need a good business book to read!!
Ken Andrus
Sep 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and am using it at work as a guide in putting together a customer service initiative. The book outlines the approach Disney used to create it legendary customer service but does so in such a way to make it very adaptable for any organization.
Courtney Palumbo
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book on customer service! Clear, concise and adaptable to almost any organization.
Anthony
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Maybe, I am picky, but I prefer a more concise writing style. Each paragraph could be reduced by half at least. Key points:
-it’s their special, individualized, and unscripted interactions with guests that create the most memorable Disney moments.
-Quality Service means exceeding your guests’ expectations by paying attention to every detail of the delivery of your products and services.
-There is a corporate-wide obsession to detail at Disney. Walt was famous for his eye for detail, and he made sur
Chris C
Mar 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Inside are some shining examples of how Disney is the best in the industry at what they do. TWDC has sifted out the gold of what key successes make their parks run at peak efficiency and how to drive employees to perfection.

A lot of this information would probably have been reviewed in a Disney employee's Traditions - so much of it, in fact, that I'm not sure this information is useful to anyone outside the Hospitality or Entertainment industries. But for those within those industries, this is
Chad Warner
I got very little out of this book. That's probably because my business is online, and this book is a lot about interacting with customers in person, on your property. It had too much Disney history and not enough practical advice on emulating Disney's customer service in your business.

It tells how Disney's service theme generates its service standards. It shows how those are delivered using three systems that are present in every organization: people, physical assets, processes. It also tells
Chris Batchelor
I’m very much a fan of books about the Disney Parks, so when I saw this book and it’s author being the Disney Parks, I thought wonders of what I’d find interesting. But it’s what I didn’t find much of in this book that stands out to me:Details of how their employees do it in specific cases that make sense. I mean there was lots of information, but they tried to tie these cases into how the reader can tie their concept into the readers businesses-not something I long for often.

At first, it was an
Chris Tritabaugh
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
I love everything about Disney, am fascinated with their operations and was excited to read this book. This book had lots of great snippets, but the writing was quite poor and lacking any sort of depth. The author only lightly skimmed the topics and often the sections ended abruptly, just when I thought I was really going to get some great information.

The examples given of companies who’ve attended and used the Disney Institute were very poor and lacking any sort of depth.

Much like the section
Vasco
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
The bad: although it's a solid book on dealing with customers straight from the Disney factory, sometimes it's lackluster. Sure, it's noticeable that there is a great customer culture at Disney and that many tools and techniques are used to maximise customer retention, satisfaction and more, but at the end of the day, I'm not sure how replicable most of these techniques are to other companies. At times, it feels more like the Disney story than a manual for other companies.

The good: it's a very i
Nicholas Modlin
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Be Our Guest outlines a number of practical actions and considerations that a successful company has taken in their journey into numerous diverse industries. Some of the most noteworthy points were those surrounding how Disney creates a culture of performance (ch. 3) and develops its staff (ch. 2). There are many great checklists that can be extracted, such as their definition of performance tips (pg. 72) or a common purpose (pg. 43). Three of my favorite tools that were mentioned were (1) the d ...more
Alyssa
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I originally started reading this book because my employer wanted me to give a summation based off of what I read to the staff, to see what we can do to effectively connect with our congregation. I absolutely LOVE Disney, so I didn’t mind it. The further and further I got through reading it, the more I loved it. Not only does this book provide someone with the proper tools to connect with customers (the foundation of any business...), the reader will learn insider knowledge of Disney/ how it’s p ...more
Dana
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've gone to the full day seminar from Disney and this audiobook was basically a replay of the seminar I went to. They have some pretty good examples of basic customer service practices. Yet, Disney has taken customer service to a higher level. This is not only for the customer's benefit, but for Disney's financial benefit too.
This is good information if you are looking for good customer service ideas. However, you need to be prepared to be bombarded with how "wonderful" Disney is and a nearly
Brittany Jacobs
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
An introductory look into the world-class and award-winning customer service method of Disney. Driven by a desire to create magic and the often painstaking attention to detail, Disney has managed to woo their users time and time again. A brief foray into the Disney Institute’s training method, this book outlines the customer service framework that has people believing in magic and hailing them has the “happiest place on earth.”
Chase Turnbow
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it
There’s several really good quotes like “We don’t put people in Disney. We put Disney in people” and “Our front line is our bottom line.” There are also some good themes like “plussing” (to make better) and big ideas to follow for customer service, but overall the book fell flat for me because it was difficult to identify how to actually apply any of the concepts for business. Additionally, it was just boring.
Scott Rappaport
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I didn’t really know a lot about Disney before reading this book. In fact, I was always a little perplexed as to why so many people I knew loved the Disney Parks so much. I found this book to see if I could learn why. This was a good decision. This book gave me the answer. It’s an inside look on the secrets of how to deliver customer service by one of the greatest American organizations today. The book is a little dry, but full of good info and plenty of examples.
JENNIFER
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
As with most business philosophy books, it is short on writing style, but offers a unique brand of business philosophy.I will keep some takeways. That being said, the entire time I was reading the book, the little devil on my shoulder kept whispering in my ear, "yes, that is all good and great, the happiest place on earth.... so they how is it that the little boy was recently gobbled up by a shark while staying at Disneyworld?"
  • The Disney Way: Harnessing the Management Secrets of Disney in Your Company
  • Creating Magic
  • The Imagineering Way
  • Inside the Magic Kingdom
  • Disney U: How Disney University Develops the World's Most Engaged, Loyal, and Customer-Centric Employees
  • The New Gold Standard: 5 Leadership Principles for Creating a Legendary Customer Experience Courtesy of the Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company
  • The Nordstrom Way: The Inside Story of America's #1 Customer Service Company
  • The Imagineering Field Guide to Disney's Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World
  • The Quotable Walt Disney
  • The Disneyland® Encyclopedia: The Unofficial, Unauthorized, and Unprecedented History of Every Land, Attraction, Restaurant, Shop, and Event in the Original Magic Kingdom®
  • How to Be Like Walt: Capturing the Disney Magic Every Day of Your Life
  • In Service to the Mouse: My Unexpected Journey to Becoming Disneyland's First President: A Memoir
  • Brain Storm: Unleashing Your Creative Self
  • Walt Disney World (Little-Known Facts about Well-Known Places)
  • Disney Trivia from the Vault: Secrets Revealed and Questions Answered
  • Dream It! Do It! (The People, The Places, The Projects): My Half-Century Creating Disney's Magic Kingdoms
  • Walt Disney World Trivia Book: Secrets, History & Fun Facts Behind the Magic: Volume 1
  • Walt Disney's Legends of Imagineering and the Genesis of the Disney Theme Park
Note: The decision was made to consolidate all Disney publications under the name Walt Disney Company. This profile is for Walt Disney, the characters he created, and the company he founded. Any questions, please ask in the Librarian's Group.

Walter Elias “Walt” Disney (December 5, 1901 – December 15, 1966) was an American film producer, director, screenwriter, voice actor, animator, entrepreneur,
“From our earliest days, education has been a hallmark of our company. It was Walt himself who said, “We have always tried to be guided by the basic idea that, in the discovery of knowledge, there is great entertainment—as, conversely, in all good entertainment, there is always some grain of wisdom, humanity, or enlightenment to be gained.” 1 likes
“In this volatile business of ours, we can ill afford to rest on our laurels, even to pause in retrospect. Times and conditions change so rapidly that we must keep our aim constantly focused on the future. —Walt Disney” 0 likes