Start by marking “Caddie Woodlawn (Caddie Woodlawn, #1)” as Want to Read:
Caddie Woodlawn (Caddie Woodlawn, #1)

Caddie Woodlawn

(Caddie Woodlawn #1)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  46,987 ratings  ·  1,440 reviews
Caddie Woodlawn is a real adventurer. She'd rather hunt than sew and plow than bake, and tries to beat her brother's dares every chance she gets. Caddie is friends with Indians, who scare most of the neighbors -- neighbors who, like her mother and sisters, don't understand her at all.

Caddie is brave, and her story is special because it's based on the life and memories of

Published December 26th 2006 by Aladdin (first published 1935)

To ask other readers questions about Caddie Woodlawn, please sign up.
❄Elsa Frost❄ I liked Caddie Woodlawn better (and still do). Caddie Woodlawn felt more like an interesting and altogether new story to read about the pioneer life. …moreI liked Caddie Woodlawn better (and still do). Caddie Woodlawn felt more like an interesting and altogether new story to read about the pioneer life. Little House does represent a more pioneer lifestyle, but Caddie Woodlawn felt closer to the heart for me and more entertaining.
But if you asked me which one I'd be more likely to recommend to younger people, I'd honestly say "Neither". Some children will prefer Little House, others will prefer Caddie Woodlawn. But both are excellent stories/series, and I hope they continue being remembered for the great classic children's books they are!(less)

·  46,987 ratings  ·  1,440 reviews

Start your review of Caddie Woodlawn (Caddie Woodlawn, #1)
Miranda Reads
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
description

Disappointing and yet marginally charming.
How far I've come! I'm the same girl and yet not the same. I wonder if it's always like that?
Caddie Woodlawn, a fiery redhead growing up in Wisconsin in the 1800s, has always been a tom boy.

Her mother is at her wits end but her father enjoys his daughter's plucky spirit and propensity for mishaps.

Caddie, for one, enjoys her life as it is - snowball fights and hunting and adventuring with her brothers.

But all good things have to come t
Deborah Markus
Reading this in your forties while you're also reading Lies My Teacher Told Me is very different from reading it when you're ten years old. Although even then, I remember cringing a bit.

Because on the one hand, Caddie Woodlawn is all kinds of awesome. She's a redhead roaming wild in the woods of western Wisconsin, and you won't catch her sewing a seam or polishing the furniture when she could be climbing a tree or plowing a field.

On the other hand, this is Wisconsin in 1864. "Pioneer days," as t
Quirkyreader
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a re-read and a visit back to my childhood. I think the first time I read this was when I was reading all of the "Little House On The Prairie" series since it took place in the same area.

This is the story about a young girl who has to make her own place in the world. And her place is Wisconsin. She had many trials of growing up in this story. So in a sense this book is a Bildungsroman story.

I am glad that I took the time to revisit one of my favourite childhood stories.
Amy
May 31, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Mrs. Klatt, my 5th grade teacher, read this book to us and then we went to visit where Caddie lived (about 30 miles south of where I grew up). I loved the Little House books, but to me, I WAS Caddie. She was a bit older and more aware of what was happening around her. If you want to read about a pioneer gal who lived in western Wisconsin and was as fiesty as her red hair, read this book. You can go see and walk through Caddie's house. It's a rest area south of Downsville, Wisconsin. I try and ge ...more
Luisa Knight
Cleanliness:

Children's Bad Words
Mild Obscenities & Substitutions - 24 Incidents: golly, bully, good land, gollee-Christmas, crickety
Name Calling - 7 Incidents: big-mouthed scared-cats, whippersnapper, tattletale, baby, rascal
Scatological Terms - 6 Incidents: bl**dy (as in lots of blood)
Religious Profanity - 9 Incidents: God knows, Heaven knows, mercy's sake, goodness knows, upon my word, great sakes, faith, bless my soul

Romance Related - 8 Incidents: A man fell in love with a woman. They were se
Jen
Feb 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, newbery
I read this over a period of about 4 months. I'm not sure I've ever taken that long to read a book. But I was reading it with a 6-year-old, a chapter at a time, sometimes one chapter a week, sometimes none.

I cried more than a few times while reading: a dog is lost, a reformed bully saves the day, the family makes a great sacrifice for the happiness of Father Woodlawn. Each time, my little reading friend would turn around and smile at me and wipe away my tears. I tend to cry freely when I read an
Victoria Goodbrand
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
literally read this in less than a day it was THAT GOOOOD.
and YES, I already started rereading it, thanks for asking 😂
Kathryn
This was my first time reading the novel as an adult and I loved it all the more for all the sense of fun and adventure I so enjoyed as a child, and found a deeper appreciation of so many more elements—such as Father and Mother’s relationship (I had tears in my eyes at the end of the chapter, Pigeons or Peacocks?) and Mr. Woodlawn’s wonderfully unorthodox parenting style with Caddie (and Mrs. Woodlawn’s trust in him in allowing this to happen), letting her “run wild with the boys” to regain her ...more
Sarah Grace Grzy
This book will always speak of home, comfort and happiness to me. I've read it multiple times growing up, and now reading it again now that I'm older, it is just as lovely.

I love Brink's writing style, and her characters are just wonderful. I especially loved Caddie's relationship with her father. Reminds me of my relationship with my father. <3 And of course, Tom, Warren, Hetty, etc all help make up this exceptional book.
Malbadeen
Feb 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I would give this book 5 stars based on 1 chapter alone.
This chapter is Mark Twain hilarious mixed with Flannery O'Connor morbid.

In this chapter the eldest boy tells a story he's made up to amuse his younger siblings while they do chores. The story starts with a farmer accidentally killing his wife then tricking passer-byer that he'd in fact killed the farmers wife by punching her and her subsequent falling into a near by lake and drowning. HA-HA-HA! right? seriously it gets more absurd and hila
Elizabeth N. | ThePennilessBooknerd
4.5 stars. (Originally I was going to put it at either 3.5 or 4, but I really liked the last few chapters.)

I actually hadn’t heard of this book until I found it at a library sale over a year ago. It was sitting on my shelf all that time...but I’ve read it now so yay!

Caddie Woodlawn is a tomboy. She doesn’t want to be a lady if that means all frills and no fun. Throughout this book we follow Caddie and her siblings on their adventures and mishaps, while getting a looks at what pioneer life was l
Kameron
Charming story! I just fell in love with the Woodlawn family, their hard work ethics, family values and trust in the Lord. It was so special to know that the author was writing about her own grandmother. The illustrations by Trina Schart Hyman were just breathtaking - I plan to seek out more of her work.

Some of my favorite quotes from the book:
"She loved both spring and fall. At the turning of the year things seemed to stir in her that were lost sight of in the commonplace stretches of winter a
Book Concierge
This Newbery Award winner tells the story of Caddie Woodlawn, age about 12, in 1864 Wisconsin, growing up on a farm with her six brothers and sisters, and her two parents.

Brink based the novel (and a sequel) on the stories her grandmother told about living in Western Wisconsin during the time of the Civil War. The family is tight-knit and the children have many adventures, including exploring the river and woods near their homestead, and visiting the local tribe of Native Americans (“Indian Joh
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
Another book that I read a long time ago. I wish I remembered more details from the books I read as a kid, but I do remember several details. It's like traveling back in a time machine, reading this book, not just because of the frontier setting and harsher realities of life back then, but Caddie's own struggles because of her gender and the expectations foisted on girls as they became women (an expectation that still carries a lot of weight in many parts of the world even today)
Amy
Dec 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: newbery
Often compared to the Little House books, Caddie Woodlawn is different enough to make it interesting. Caddie's family seems more settled, for one thing, and maybe they struggle less than the Ingalls family did. She has a bigger family that includes brothers. This story is about the adventures of the children in the family and doesn't focus so much on explaining in great detail the everyday things the family did as the Little House books do (threshing, slaughtering, making cheese).

Based on the t
Ensiform
Jun 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Winner of the 1936 Newbery, this book centers on the tomboy of the title, the middle girl in a pioneer family of seven children in the open plains of 1860s Wisconsin. Strongly evocative of the Laura Ingalls Wilder books, it's a wide-eyed, child's view of American pioneer life. The Indians are friendly, primitive, and highly mistrusted by the whites. The Civil War is far away; in one of the bits possibly most surprising to those who think of America as a classless society, Mr. Woodlawn has paid s ...more
Wendy
Sep 25, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: newbery
I saved this for the last of the Newberys (yes! I'm done!) because I was sure I would like it, and I wanted to go out on a good note.

I did like it, though I know I would have liked it a lot more if I hadn't already read so many similar, better books (i.e. Little House). But I can appreciate how rare it was to find interesting, funny books about real children at the time this was written. Still, I'm sort of surprised that so many of you love this so much.

Hard to believe it's by the same author as
allie
Feb 17, 2009 rated it did not like it
The more I think about this book, the more I dislike it.
Shirley
Sep 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
I like Little House style of writing better but cute story of pioneer life.
Gina
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book when I was ten and I love now as a 48 year old!
Ivy Miranda
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-reads
One of my all time favorite childhood books growing up. Caddie Woodlawn is inspired by the life of Carol Ryrie Brink's grandmother. Caddie Woodlawn is a simple story about an all American girl with a patriotic spirit that stretches far beyond her rural Wisconsin home.

In 1864, Carolina Augusta Woodlawn or just Caddie, was not your ordinary conventional girl. While her sisters spend their time sewing and baking, Caddie would rather hunt, swim, socialize with Indians and anything that doesn't re
Libby
Mar 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Libby by: Ruth Stein, My Bobe
This is one of the books I read on long, delicious afternoons in San Diego in the summers of my childhood. My Bobe and Zade and I would walk to the library and pick out a pile of books, stopping at Thrifty's on the way home for nickel scoops of ice cream (my favorite: rainbow sherbet). I can't even think of this book without feeling a rush of immense love for my grandparents.

One day when my Bobe had first moved to Minnesota (sometime in the late '50s) and she was trying to be a dutiful faculty w
Sara
Quality pioneer novel for young readers

Despite growing up in Wisconsin and loving pioneer stories, somehow I missed this book as a child. I wish that I had read it when I was younger, I am certain that I would have loved it more. The family life is good and warm and authentic. Caddie is a sweet and rough and rough and tough pioneer tomboy. I like her. I prefer this to Little House on the Prairie. I am certain that my children will love this one.
Isobel
Mar 14, 2016 rated it liked it
pretty boring at first but it became better and than it was boring again
Hannah Reeves
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-middle
This is one of my very favorite books now. I laughed, I cried, I hugged the book when it ended. I can't wait to share it with Phoebe some day.
Amanda
Mar 02, 2020 rated it liked it
For a book published in 1935, this book ended up being much better than I had anticipated. I've had a hit and miss relationship with Newberry award winners. This book centers on one of my favorite subjects in children's or adult genres in general: Westward Expansion and the American West. I probably liked it so much because it reminds me very much of one of my favorite series of my childhood: TheLittle House on the Prairie series. Brink managed to cram a whole lot of plot and adventure in this o ...more
Julia Blake
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful pioneer story.
Janssen
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I just love this book. I got completely choked up about a dozen different times - I've absolutely become my mother.
Liz Strawser
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a wonderful story. Can’t wait to share it with my kids. It’s now One of my favorites. I related to Caddie and especially enjoyed her relationship with her father.
Bonnie
Feb 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Birthday Book #56 from my friend Chey. Yet another Newberry winner I was unfamiliar with but have now fallen in love with. In the tradition of Little House on the Prairie (which was published the same year), Caddie Woodlawn is a tomboyish pioneer girl, like Laura Ingalls, but different enough to stand all on her own. I loved the family and loved that the author was Caddie Woodlawn (Woodhouse)'s granddaughter. A wonderful happy ending that also echoed Little House on the Prairie.

• Strawberry Girl
  • Miracles on Maple Hill
  • The Wheel on the School
  • Sarah, Plain and Tall (Sarah, Plain and Tall, #1)
  • From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler
  • Thimble Summer
  • The Matchlock Gun
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • Adam of the Road
  • Hitty, Her First Hundred Years
  • The Whipping Boy
  • Carry On, Mr. Bowditch
  • The Complete Anne of Green Gables Boxed Set (Anne of Green Gables, #1-8)
  • The Great Wheel
  • Dear Mr. Henshaw (Leigh Botts, #1)
  • The Door in the Wall
  • The Grey King (The Dark is Rising, #4)
  • Understood Betsy
Born Caroline Ryrie, American author of over 30 juvenile and adult books. Her novel Caddie Woodlawn won the 1936 Newbery Medal.

Brink was orphaned by age 8 and raised by her maternal grandmother, the model for Caddie Woodlawn. She started writing for her school newspapers and continued that in college. She attended the University of Idaho for three years before transferring to the University of Cal

Caddie Woodlawn (2 books)
  • Caddie Woodlawn's Family (Caddie Woodlawn, #2)