Start by marking “Alibi For Isabel” as Want to Read:
Alibi For Isabel

Alibi For Isabel

3.51  ·  Rating details ·  53 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
"Alibi For Isabel" offers nine classic tales of spine-tingling suspense set in several different East Coast cities during the 1940s.
Published December 1st 2000 by Kensington (first published 1941)

To ask other readers questions about Alibi For Isabel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alibi For Isabel

Ryan
Jan 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
There are two things I love in life, well more than that but only two that have anything to do with what I'm doing here, short stories and Mary Roberts Rinehart. Now granted, when I got a hold of this book, I did not know that it was a collection of 9 short stories. I thought I would be in store for another great mystery set around a wonderful heroine and an intriguing storyline. What I ended up with was so much better.

Each one of the stories, mystery or not, showcases what Mary Roberts Rinehart
Matthew
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mary Rinehart has some dated notions in her short stories, but it wasn't enough to detract from the obvious talent she told them with. Some of the best written female characters I've ever come across. Strong, resilient, feminine while not pandering to a trope of either being a damsel in distress or a tomboy.

Rinehart may have some far-fetched ideas that start to strain when it comes to plausibility, but she makes you care about the people in the stories so much and makes them so three-dimensional
Judy
Mar 21, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nine short stories that were written during the Golden Age of Mystery that reflect some of the the pressures at work in society during World War II and the Great Depression. Some of the attitudes are dated, but the strong writing will keep readers interested.
Susan Jo Grassi
Dec 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first I was a little confused. I didn't realize this was a book of short stories. Once I got that settled in my mind I really enjoyed each a everyone.
Pat
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So much better than the Fleming works,

at least the short stories I read. I wonder if they were written very early in her career. They certainly typified an early type of detective story that I had never read before. These were powerfully written.
Susanne
Dec 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun stories! Some mysteries, some not. All entertaining.
Interesting note: Author likes to re-use names, especially Elinor. And Louise. And they're always the same type of person. It's like a character short-hand.
Judio
When I picked up this book, I didn't realise that it is a collection of short stories. I was therefore disappointed. The stories are okay but not memorable and at least two of them left me with a feeling of 'Huh? What was the point of that?'. This made a two only because I'm being generous.
Inrisrini
Good collection stories - sentimental, emotional, family and thrillers.
I like the writing style, but sometimes, if you are not focused, we loose who is talking to whom.
Marylou

rated it did not like it
Jul 04, 2011
Wordweaverlynn
Apr 18, 2017
Mary Roberts Rinehart (August 12, 1876-September 22, 1958) was a prolific author often called the American Agatha Christie. She is considered the source of the phrase "The butler did it", although she did not actually use the phrase herself, and also considered to have invented the "Had-I-But-Known" school of mystery writing.

Rinehart wrote hundreds of short stories, poems, travelogues and special
More about Mary Roberts Rinehart...