Start by marking “Polishing God's Monuments: Pillars of Hope for Punishing Times” as Want to Read:
Polishing God's Monuments: Pillars of Hope for Punishing Times

Polishing God's Monuments: Pillars of Hope for Punishing Times

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  59 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Polishing God's Monuments is the true story of a young woman and her devoted husband who face it all (and then some) as a baffling, mind-boggling illness hijacks their youth and shatters their dreams. Polishing God's Monuments blends straightforward theology with the account of this young couple's afflictions. A sober reality in the life of faith is that ?through many trib ...more
Published June 1st 2007 by Shepherd Press

To ask other readers questions about Polishing God's Monuments, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Polishing God's Monuments

Julie D.
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2008-read
The "disease" the author's daughter had/has isn't medically proven and is at times rather more mental than physical, but one cannot deny the growth God gave them through this ordeal. Every other chapter is incredible as the author describes all God has taught them. The other chapters are the strangeness of their daughter's "illness" which again seems more mental than physical, although the author would certainly deny this.
Hugh Knight
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My wife and I just finished reading this book. My wife, who struggles with chronic pain was interested in the story and I more so interested in the answers that Pastor Jim conveyed throughout the book. Life is a mystery even to those whose hearts and lives are committed to Jesus Christ and have honest pain and questions.
Heatherhh
Dec 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star-and-up
I found the young couple's health struggles to be very interesting, and their testimony throughout it encouraging. The alternating chapters of spiritual lessons were also good. For me, it did mean that it wasn't a good book to read in large chunks though, because while I could keep reading the testimony parts straight through, the spiritual instruction was too much if read in long sittings.
Jelinas
Sep 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
It always scares me while I'm reading books like this.

Would my faith hold up under such dire circumstances? Is God going to force me to apply what I'm learning by throwing me into the furnace? What if God chooses to strip me of my idols in this extreme way?

Do I really trust in God for all things?

So far, a sobering, but encouraging, look at God's faithfulness to His children.

***

I am so thankful for this book. What an encouraging, soul-stirring treatment of the theology of suffering.

At first blush
Mandy J. Hoffman
Feb 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
MY REVIEW:

It is with a book like this that I don't know how to sum up in a few short paragraphs the huge impact it made on my own heart. In these moments I just want to open my front door, stand on my porch, and yell for the whole world to hear: "You must read this book!"

Polishing God's Monuments is part testimony, part biography, and part teaching but completely encouraging and convicting for any believer. While it will grip the heart of anyone suffering through a trial, it specifically resonat
Ryan
Jun 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
In this book a pastor discusses the suffering experienced by his daughter and her husband. He alternates chapters between letters to his congregation explaining his daughter's circumstances and theological reflections on suffering. The title of the book refers to a practice advocated by Andrews which largely consists of remembering God's goodness and faithfulness in one's life.

The book was easy and enjoyable to read. I was expecting a 5-star book after the first 50 pages but ended up giving it 4
Nathan
May 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Simply too profound a book to "summarize." I cried the whole time - tears falling both because of the pain of the human circumstance(s) that is recorded and joy because of the truth of God's sufficiency and sovereignty that is celebrated. This question of how we should understand and relate to God in times of suffering is one of the most piercing issues I face personally as well as pastorally - and I imagine it will be at the top of the list for many of you. This book is possibly the most satisf ...more
Paul
Aug 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any Christian
Shelves: biography
I highly recommend this book. While I don't care for some of the author's terminology, the overall content is first rate. The author is a theologian and pastor, and the father and father-in-law of the young couple who are the subjects of this book. He alternates chapters of biographical detail in the form of emails to his church, describing the history of their baffling illnesses and their desperate search for relief, then provides chapters describing how God works in our lives and is glorified ...more
christina
Jan 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Amazing, excruciating testimony of a pastor's daughter's 20-year battle with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and other illnesses. The writing is solid but not stellar, but then that's not really the point of the book. Edification and encouragement in a biblical view of affliction seem to be the goal.

This book is valuable as encouragement to persevere through trials but not on my "must-read" list of books I feel compelled to share with everyone I know. The devotion and unflagging support of Juli's husba
Lisa
Mar 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Very touched already by the Godly wisdom, insight and perseverance this young couple exhibits in the midst of their incomprehensible circumstances. What a testimony to the grace of God and His strength in weakness! REAL weakness! I feel like a total whimp of a Christian for even thinking that the things I have gone through in my life are worthy of being considered real trials!! I can't wait to snatch more time tonight and finish the book. Riveting!

Ashley Baker
Oct 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. It had a lot of wisdom for people who have been through suffering. Remembering God's faithfulness is stressed in the book and it is such an important thing to remember. I would recommend this book.
Jeff Fuller
Nov 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: suffering
About half way through this excellent book on God's sovereignty and remembering His goodness in times when we are going through hardship and suffering. An interesting story with very practical application. I highly recommend this book!!!!
Carmon
Mar 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The best book on suffering I have ever read.
Kay McPherson
Feb 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Awesome read, not a light read. What a magnificent God we have!
Jan 18, 2010 rated it liked it
A great book by our pastor at Lake Bible Church. I appreciated the wisdom that God is a Great God, that will still lead us to trying times, times that we are polished according to his purpose.
Shawn
Nov 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Strong beginning, sustained middle, weak ending, but worth the read.
Anna
Jan 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Kim Droptiny
Good advice for surviving hard times.
Jackie L Duke
David
Sep 26, 2009
Kip
Feb 19, 2012
“The struggle to keep aroused emotions within proper boundaries is won by putting a conscious leash on them and leading them like junkyard dogs right to the throne of grace” 1 likes