Start by marking “The Long Way Home: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel” as Want to Read:
The Long Way Home: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

The Long Way Home: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache #10)

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  14,589 Ratings  ·  2,131 Reviews
Happily retired in the village of Three Pines, Armand Gamache, former Chief Inspector of Homicide with the Sûreté du Québec, has found a peace he'd only imagined possible. On warm summer mornings he sits on a bench holding a small book, The Balm in Gilead, in his large hands. "There is a balm in Gilead," his neighbor Clara Morrow reads from the dust jacket, "to make the wo ...more
Published August 26th 2014 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about The Long Way Home, please sign up.

Susanne Gale I've read the whole series and loved every one, except this one. While Gamache continues to interest and fascinate me, i think Three Pines is wearing…moreI've read the whole series and loved every one, except this one. While Gamache continues to interest and fascinate me, i think Three Pines is wearing thin. Clara has just become annoying and as Louise Penny continues to kill off all of the really interesting characters in the town.....well, let's just say I hope that Gamache moves somewhere else. while Three Pines had some interesting murders, this was not one of them. Unless Clara is the next victim in Three Pines I hope that the character of Gamache moves on to another location. Rosa the Duck has a bigger heart than Clara. i was very disappointed in this book, but hope that the series can pick itself up again with a more interesting story.(less)
Marilyn I would say yes. I first listened to one of the later ones on tape -- and found it confusing. I then ignored my friend's raving about her until I…moreI would say yes. I first listened to one of the later ones on tape -- and found it confusing. I then ignored my friend's raving about her until I finally picked up number one and fell madly in love with the series. (less)

Kaye
May 20, 2014 Kaye rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read an advance copy of Louise Penny's THE LONG
WAY HOME.

Then I sat down to write my own pitiful version of a review.

But instead, I did what I sometimes do. But only with books
that have touched me deeply. I turned back to page one
and read it a second time.

But I'm still having a very difficult time writing a review for
this book.

Mostly, I think, because I'm so lacking in review writing
skills, but also because many of you might find my words
empty and false. I think I have said every sing
MJ
Jan 27, 2015 MJ rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mediocre-or-less
Louise , you've let us down! What a weak excuse for a book. There is no mystery here, there is just blathering on, and then uncovering something in the last pages.

I have LOVED Armand and Jean-guy, and they were UNDER UTILIZED. I am no light weight when it comes to this author. I have read the entire series at least 2x. This book is in an entirely different category from the past mysteries. There was a lot of fluff and filler in this book, all the stuff that I put up with in the other books beca
Penny Watson
I'm not sure how to rate this. It has Penny's wonderful writing, colorful characters, insightful comments about human nature, and awesome humor. However, the storyline just dragged, especially in the middle of the book.

Let's look at some paintings.
Let's look at them again.
Let's turn them upside down and look at them.
Let's tack them to the wall and look at them.
Let's look some more.

This just went on and on...oy. And the ending...I can't even. It was so predictable and cheesy, I don't know what to
Janet
Oh Louise, you are a sly one. You begin your latest Gamache novel in the rural, serene setting of Three Pines. Humor is liberally sprinkled along with mouthwatering descriptions of the frequent meals enjoyed by all. I soon felt like I was hanging out with good friends, having a great time, sitting around and shooting the breeze.

But wait, there’s more! This is a mystery novel, one written by you, crafty Louise Penny. So it is not long before dark undercurrents are felt. A sense of unease surface
Christina
I love Louise Penny's novels but I didn't think this one was as good as some of the others. The plot seemed thin because it lacked, I felt, the more layered plots of her previous novels. Since Gamache is retired we don't have the added tensions of his fight within the Surete while trying to solve a murder or the complications of the characters who work for him.

I found Penny's writing style started to grate on me a bit: the fragmented sentences, repetition and alliteration plus her habit of sayin
Dona
Hurry up August 26, 2014! Can't wait to read it.

Finally! It's here and I'm starting it today. Can't wait to start it, but already hate that it will have to end.

I finished reading it and was not disappointed. A great story.

Now I have to wait for number 11 to be written and published. I hope it's not too long of wait!
DL
Sep 30, 2014 DL rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure what has happened to this series. It's gone from being an engaging mystery series with a great deal of hidden insight to false insight being crammed in at every other line. This book made me tired. I finished it but without any pleasure. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar and an ugly painting is ugly no matter how many hundreds of times you turn it over.
Margitte

A perfectly appropriate title!

I am not sure why Clara's relationship with her husband, Peter, has been kept as one of the final moments of this series. While Three Pines are back in the picture, my honest impression was that the author ran out of steam. The tedious, extremely slow moving plot, encompassing the inner-workings of the art world, was presented more like a never-ending travel journal of a group of friends, promoting tourism in Canada. It lost me within the first ten chapters of the b
Kathy
Jun 25, 2014 Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A Love Letter to Louise
(No Spoilers)

I want to thank you for yet another thrilling, engaging, thoughtful, and moving book. I found your prose so graceful (certainly not breathy as one reviewer labeled it-Really, tsk tsk) that on many occasions I stopped to re-read paragraphs, just for the sheer beauty of the work.

I was moved by the love you have for your country. It shines so brightly in this work. I only wish all readers could feel it as deeply as some of us do.

Most of all, I wish I had the wor
Barbara Hathaway
I had eagerly awaited this title but found myself disappointed and underwhelmed. Penny delivered her usual beautifully descriptive prose but without the tightly woven plotting that usually makes her novels so compelling. The coincidences and artistic "insights"that advanced the plot felt forced and ludicrous at times. Sigh....
☮Karen
3.5
The ending is a bit of a stunner. Without giving too much away, Peter and Clara's relationship is examined; but along the way so is the art world in depth, Gamache himself, the nine muses of Greek mythology, and the best scenery to be found in Canada.

I always learn something from these books. The ending does open up the possibility for a change to come to Three Pines. Not the best in the series, but I'm hooked.
LJ
First Sentence: As Clara Morrow approached, she wondered if he’d repeat the same small gesture he’d done every morning.

Chief Inspector Armand Gamache has retired and moved, with his wife Reine-Marie, to the village of Three Pines. There he is seeking peace and recovery from recent events. However, he can’t ignore the plea from one of his neighbors and friends. Clara and her husband Peter decided to separate for one year. That year has now passed, but Peter has neither returned nor contacted Cla
Susan
Sep 05, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this addition to the Inspector Gamache series, he and his wife Reine-Marie have retired to the little town of Three Pines, something they have dreamed about for quite some time. After Louise Penny reacquaints us with the wonderful characters and witty banter, that is always a hoot amongst the crazy inmates of Three Pines, Gamache and Reine are delighted to have a visit from their daughter Annie and his protege, Jean Beauvoir. So most of the loose ends from the last book are tied up except, Pe ...more
Leslie
Aug 09, 2014 Leslie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, I love this series; it's all I can do to not just go back to the beginning and read every book straight through.

I should mention that this is the first time I've ever been ahead of the curve with a book. It will not be released until 26 August, but an Advanced Reader's Copy came my way and I snatched it up eagerly.

Anyway, the plot has to do with a missing husband, the search for him, various eccentrics in a village, and art...lots and lots of art. In fact, reading this book has made me think
Ivonne Rovira
Sep 04, 2014 Ivonne Rovira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The last we saw of Peter Morrow, in A Trick of the Light, his long-suffering wife Clara Morrow was insisting on a year-long trial separation. Clara, long used to living in the more famous Peter’s shadow as an artist, had finally discovered how he had been sabotaging her for years, too emotionally insecure to bear his wife’s beautiful paintings to eclipse his.

Now, after the harrowing events of The Beautiful Mystery and How the Light Gets In (can it only be a year?), Clara is awaiting Peter’s hom
Anne
Sep 13, 2014 Anne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Some spoilers in this review, but the ending is not revealed.

I'm a longtime devotee of Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache/Three Pines mysteries. I loved previous novels because the characters were interesting and believable, the narrative lines were complex, strong, and, well, MYSTERIOUS!

But I'm now wondering if a book a year isn't an awful lot to ask of a quality writer like Ms. Penny.

I listen to the audio versions of the books. In this tenth Three Pines mystery, Ralph Cosham's wonderful audio
Michael

I stopped at exactly halfway done. I lost patience with slow plot progression despite appreciating the excellent attention of the author to nuances of emotion and motivations of her characters.

Those who have come to love Inspector Gamache of the Montreal detective force may not be able to resist following him here, now retired to his beloved rural community of Three Pines. But it’s a bit of an early retirement. He is damaged goods, still recovering from physical and mental injuries from a treac
Paul
Sep 04, 2014 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-thrillers
The Long Way Home – Stylish Thriller

The Long Way Home by Louise Penny is the tenth Chief Inspector Armand Gamashe thriller that she has written. This is a stylish and evocative story the prose is outstanding and makes the imagery seem crystal clear. If you like a crime thriller to have a high octane plot and dead bodies filling the morgue then this book is not for you. If you want well developed characters complete with a full back story given time in the thriller to add depth then this is the b
Ankur
Sep 05, 2014 Ankur rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
the book contains the usual hallmarks of Louise penny's writing.....but where the book fails is the plot.

The premise didn't justify the painstakingly long investigation into the disappearance of Peter Morrow.

it failed to engage me and hold my interest.

I think penny must really think about the future course the series needs to take.

coz, it might just happen that Gamache is investigating the disappearance of Rosa in her next.
Sue Kraft
Aug 28, 2014 Sue Kraft rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Different but good

I enjoyed this as I have all the Gamache novels. I actually liked it a lot and would have given it a 5 but I didn't like the ending. I won't go into why as that would spoil it for others. I just saw no good reason to end it the way it did.
Grey853
Sep 14, 2014 Grey853 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Miriam
Aug 03, 2014 Miriam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any mystery reader who reads for character and setting as well as plot
I was thrilled when I got an email from MacMillan offering me the chance to read an advance readers copy of The Long Way Home. I start missing Gamache and Three Pines and its inhabitants the moment I turn the last page of each book, so it's pure delight when the next book falls into my hands (or ears, as the case may be, since I love to listen to the audiobooks as well).

I'm not going to write a synopsis of the book, since others will do it better than I would. I'll just say that it was comforti
Suzy
Louise Penny's Armand Gamache mystery series (sometimes called Three Pines Mysteries) is in my top 5 favorite series. As I said in my review of the last book How the Light Gets In, the things I most appreciate about this series are:

mystery, humor,characters you want to know and whom you've grown to love, philosophy and wonderful pacing, alternating between the slower pace of Three Pines and the breakneck pace of the goings on in Montreal.

I had also said in that review that after reading How the
Barbara Bryant
If the story had been as interesting as the locale of the book, I might have rated it a 3 or more. Instead it is a somewhat tiresome book with a lot of repetition and story-stretching that might suggest an idea that was not enough for a full book length.
I have read all of Penny's books, and enjoyed some much more than this one. There are a few common factors, though, that irritate me. One is the author's need to raise each narrative above the mundane by giving it some sort of spiritual meaning a
Ware
Sep 04, 2014 Ware rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, retired from the Sûreté du Québec where as he was internationally renown as a homicide expert, sits on a stone bench in Three Pines every morning. He is joined each day by a neighbor Clara Morrow who finally gets up the nerve to ask the courage to ask him for a favor. Her husband Peter, whom she asked to leave over a year before has not returned despite their agreement to do so on the anniversary of his departure. The couple, both painters, had a role reversal in ...more
Stephanie
Jul 17, 2014 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: july, arc, 2014
THE LONG WAY HOME is a book for those of us who are long time readers of the series; in it, we are rewarded with new views on some of our most beloved (or despised) characters as well as a love story to the quest for peace, forgiveness, and new beginnings. As in earlier entries in the series, Quebec shines as a character in its own right. Not to be missed.
Elvan
Sep 03, 2014 Elvan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Disappointed with this little journey to Three Pines. As usual Penny writes an intelligent, complex and well researched novel. Initially it was lovely revisiting Gamache and co in Three Pines. The story itself felt forced and sometimes aimless even with all of the many references to Canadian icons in the Canadian art scene. Just not feeling the love this time. Witty dialogue aside, I didn't care what happened to any of the characters. Never a good sign.

First book in this ten book series I have f
Kristina
Oh, Louise Penny. I’m sorry, but this book is ridiculous. I hate to say this, but I’m done with Chief Inspector Gamache and his pals in Three Pines. The early books are good, but the two previous novels (The Beautiful Mystery and How the Light Gets In) displayed Penny’s irritating new writing style and began my disenchantment with the characters. A Long Way Home, her tenth in the series, is my breaking point. I don’t want to read about these irritatingly charming characters who live in the delig ...more
Jeanette
This is going to be a difficult review to write. The prose, natural world descriptions and placements in this unique locale of haggard and isolated sea villages of the far North in Canada, like Tabaquen, were excellent. Everything else, not so much.

This book is never, for more than 5 pages out of 373, a mystery as much as it is an analysis. An analysis both in aesthetics and in psychology, of the Peter Marrow character and the relationship he has within the work of his art (painting) and the con
Teresa Dennis
I love Louise Penny and Gamache and her writing style, but in this book...not so much. Really couldn't buy Gamache, Jean-Guy, and the gals taking off from life, work, and family to go on an aimless jaunt around Canada. And who would give a former chief of police doing an unofficial investigation the time of day?

Too many coincidences. Too many leaps of faith. Too often 'I saw this in him.'

Clara is wearing thin. The old profane poet is wearing thin. And I'm tired of the duck.
2015 Reading Chal...: The Long Way Home by Louise Penny 1 22 Jul 22, 2015 12:36PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #82 - The Long Way Home (Gamache #10) by Louise Penny 1 1 Jul 12, 2015 04:53AM
Goodreads Choice ...: Any Louise Penny fans? 10 60 Apr 02, 2015 08:26AM
Cozy Mysteries : Louise Penny 27 157 Feb 19, 2015 04:40PM
  • To Dwell in Darkness (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #16)
  • All Mortal Flesh (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #5)
  • The Crowded Grave (Bruno, Chief of Police #4)
  • Leaving Everything Most Loved (Maisie Dobbs, #10)
  • Falling in Love (Commissario Brunetti, #24)
  • Designated Daughters (Deborah Knott Mysteries. #19)
  • Pagan Spring (A Max Tudor Mystery, #3)
194243
Many of Louise Penny's books are published under different titles by UK/Canada and US publishers.
She lives with her husband, Michael, and a golden retriever named Trudy, in a small village south of Montreal.

Her first Armand Gamache novel, "Still Life" won the New Blood Dagger, Arthur Ellis, Barry, Anthony and Dilys Awards.

Awards:
* Agatha Award: Best Novel
o 2007 – A Fatal Grace – Winner
o 2008 –
More about Louise Penny...

Chief Inspector Armand Gamache (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Still Life (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #1)
  • A Fatal Grace (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #2)
  • The Cruelest Month (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #3)
  • A Rule Against Murder (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #4)
  • The Brutal Telling (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #5)
  • Bury Your Dead (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #6)
  • A Trick of the Light (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #7)
  • The Beautiful Mystery (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #8)
  • How the Light Gets In (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #9)
  • The Nature of the Beast (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #11)

“After spending most of her life scanning the horizon for slights and threats, genuine and imagined, she knew the real threat to her happiness came not from the dot in the distance, but from looking for it. Expecting it. Waiting for it. And in some cases, creating it. Her father had jokingly accused her of living in the wreckage of her future. Until one day she’d looked deep into his eyes and saw he wasn’t joking. He was warning her.” 11 likes
“Fear lives in the head. And courage lives in the heart. The job is to get from one to the other.” “And between the two is the lump in the throat,” 7 likes