Start by marking “Ovenly: Sweet and Salty Recipes from New York's Most Creative Bakery” as Want to Read:
Ovenly: Sweet and Salty Recipes from New York's Most Creative Bakery

Ovenly: Sweet and Salty Recipes from New York's Most Creative Bakery

With lines out the door for their coveted Bloody Mary scones, pear and sour cherry cardamom pie, and caramel bacon hot tarts, New York's award-winning bakery Ovenly is world-renowned for their innovative and exquisite treats.

Using unexpected flavor combinations by playing with tradition, testing the limits of indulgence and perfecting the balance of savory and sweet - addi
Published September 30th 2014 by Harlequin (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Ovenly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ovenly

Leone (She Reads too Much Romance)
For a little while now I have been searching for the ideal cookbook. As a self-confessed foodie I am always keeping an a sharp eye out for cookbooks that can deliver a large range of recipes that are not only simple enough to make, contain ingredients that are easy enough for me to find in my small town, but also can deliver recipes that are delicious. I can honestly say that without a doubt Ovenly was that cookbook for me!

When I was offered to review this title I immediately said yes because f
Brenna Sydel
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Ooooooohhhhhh. I'm gonna make so much of this stuff!
Yodamom
Aug 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Two women meet at a book club and end up developing one of the best sweet shops in the country. Sounds unreal but that is how these two began. They worked, baked, and honed their dishes until they felt it was time to start selling. One of them loves salty the other sweet, the mixing of the two perfection in your mouth. They started out as home cooks and fumbled along the steep learning curve known as the restaurant industry, which is not known for it’s successes. Their story is amazing and fun t ...more
Abby
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, advanced-copy
"Ovenly" is a baking-fiend's best fried in the kitchen. I've been using this cookbook for a few weeks now and have nothing but good things to say.

Let's start with the structure of the book - PHENOMENAL. The book starts off with the tools and ingredients you should have in your kitchen, the beauty of a "baking plan," and some handy conversion charts. The recipes themselves are broken down into the categories (1) scones and biscuits, (2) quick breads and coffee cakes, (3) muffins, (4) cookies and
Oct 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book. Their recipes are really unique and creative, and I liked that the book included a range of sweet and savory. Their hot tarts are an incredible idea! The goat cheese quiche is great, and I was really impressed by their brownies and cookies. If you're a serious baker, you've got to check this book out.

The only issue I had (and it's not really a problem) - this isn't an everyday book. Most of the recipes had several steps, and to really make them worthwhile might require spe
Elise R
Oct 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was SO happy I won this book from a Goodreads giveaway! I love baking, even though I rarely have time to do it. I usually work off of old standbys, like Joy of Cooking and Southern Sideboards, but I don't really have any "modern" cookbooks. I love the combinations of sweet and salty in this book. A lot of the recipes give instructions on making a base and then you can add your own combinations. This past weekend, I made the coffee cake base and used apple butter, pecans, and walnuts as my fill ...more
Madison
Shelves: nonfiction, reviewed
I love the way this book is structured. The tools and ingredients section was very helpful, and the way it is divided into types of recipes made a lot of sense. While I would like to have seen pictures of every recipe (which I find is the best part of any recipe book) most of them did have pictures, and the step-by-step "process" pages were genius.I would normally skip past the "about the author" sections in similar books, but in this case, Erin and Agatha's personal histories and anecdotes from ...more
Caitlin Jacob
Sep 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Won this in a GoodReads giveaway. Not only is it a great cookbook, but it's BEAUTIFUL. I could just stare at the pictures all day.
Susan
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is beautiful. And I am a bit intimidated by it.

The format is very well done. The book is divided into 'chapters' for cakes, cookies, squares, muffins, icings/fillings, etc. Each chapter opens with a chatty little page or two from the author, telling a bit more of her story as a baker/entrepreneur and introducing that set of recipes. Each recipe has at least one large colour photo - not necessarily of the final product, but close enough to give you a sense of what you'll be making. Ther
ReGina
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Baker’s Delight

Going on Ovenly’s reputation, I am assuming the food is good. However, as a read, it’s phenomenal. The flavor combinations presented are amazing, and honestly, could apply to numerous foods. The base recipes are also helpful, and they encourage exploration. I checked this out from the library. As soon as I’m done with this review, I will be purchasing it for my own collection.
Brindi Michele
Meh. The only thing I liked about this one was the cover. Personally, I find the whole layout boring and uninviting for someone who wants to grab a cookbook and get to baking in their kitchen. No bueno.
Bridget
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
A lot of great instructions and tips for inexperienced bakers and a lot of unique tasty recipes.
Mary
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
Amazing book with wonderfully creative recipes with clear directions. Great fun to read and tons of things that are going to be cooked up in my kitchen in the near future.
Stephanie
Feb 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Previous to getting my hands on this cookbook, I had never heard of Ovenly, an award-winning bakery in Greenpoint, Brooklyn (USA) since I haven’t been to New York since I was a kid. But flipping through their cookbook, I know that it would be a place that I would love to visit, and visit often.

Self-taught cooks Agatha and Erin first met through their food-focused book club in April 2009. They obviously connected on more than just a shared love of books and were soon swapping ideas, testing recip
J.S. Green
Aug 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
One thing I learned from a trip to New York City a few years ago is that New Yorkers (or maybe it's just the tourists) go overboard about bakeries. One that might be making a legitimate bid to be the 'next-big-NY-bakery' is Ovenly in Brooklyn. A couple of friends, Agatha Kulaga and Erin Patinkin, got together and have turned their passion into what sounds like a very popular place. And I was fortunate enough to receive their hot-off-the-presses cookbook from the GoodReads FirstReads program. And ...more
DelAnne Frazee
ASIN: B00JZFPF42
Reviewer: DelAnne
Reviewed For: NetGalley
Rating: 4 1/2 Stars

A cookbook with something extra. The story of Erin and Agatha met and planned their bakery at a shared bookstore. How they took the different preferences to work
Marie
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars, nonfic, cookbook
I reacted like Pavlov's dog to all the delicious recipes and gorgeous photos in this cookbook! Ovenly is a collection of sweet and savory baked goods recipes from the owner-founders of the bakery by the same name in NYC. If I lived anywhere near this bakery I'd be there every morning for breakfast!

The cookbook opens with two prologues, one from each owner-founder. In these prologues, Erin and Agatha share their backgrounds and how they became involved in baking. And they met through a food-based
Judy Collins
A special thank you to Harlequin Nonfiction and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

OVENLY by Erin Patinkin, Agatha Kulaga and New York's award-winning bakery Ovenly, world-renowned for their innovative and exquisite treats, provides inspiration, yummy recipes, tips, tools and essentials for all levels of food enthusiasts!

Readers will enjoy learning the diverse history and background of these two talented women, and their delightful memories from their mother and grandmother’
Michelle
Aug 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a gorgeous book filled with recipes for every craving. I love the playful takes on beloved favorites (like the Bloody Mary Scones) and the unexpected and stunningly perfect pairings of savory and sweet delights(Spicy Bacon Caramel Corn anyone?). If you're armed with a basic knowledge of baking and a desire to try something new and wonderful, this cookbook is definitely for you.

I am very happy to have been blessed with a copy of this book to review and taste test treats from via the good
Paula
Sep 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this cookbook. Ms. Patinkin and Kulaga have interesting personal stories and their journey to the success of their bakery is interesting and inspiring. The recipes look delicious and the instructions are clear, concise and comprehendible, The procedural illustrations are very helpful and follow the instructions very well.

These recipes would be excellent for a special treat for someone. The ingredients are readily available which is essential for many people who do not have acc
Jennie
Jul 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Looking at the cover I thought this was going to be full of cakes; I was pleasantly surprised.

Packed with sweet and salty treats sure to fit all tastes, it also features more fussy desserts and rustic treats.

Currant Rosemary Scones, Chewy Chocolate Ginger Cookies, Buttery Shortbread, Nectarine/Blueberry/Vanilla Bean Rustic Tart, Blackout Cream Cheese Cupcakes just to name a few.

Follow the journey of the bakers with essays in between. Agatha mentions her fascination of baked goods as a child, so
Kayt18
Aug 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful recipes, photos and information. This is definitely a recipe book you will want to keep on hand. The photos are great and drool worthy. Not filled with over the top information that the home baker has trouble understanding. Just a fabulous recipe book that will be a favorite for years and years to come. One of those fabulous books that will end up covered in flour, butter stains and sticky with sugary specks of yummy. I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads and boy a ...more
Nichole ~Bookaholic~
All I can really say is YUM and I think I gained about 10 pounds just reading this....talk about mouth watering recipes...from Coffee Cakes and Cookies to Spicy Bacon Caramel Corn....I started out tagging recipes but gave up...I think I want to try them all. The photo's are great and I love the step by step photo's for some of the more difficult things, very helpful to see it being done especially when it was not something I have made. I can't wait to try the recipes.

Book provided by Author/Publ
Jen
Oct 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: baking
I want to love this book so bad. But one line in the introduction is holding me back. They had metric weight equivalents for all of the recipes and then didn't include them when their test bakers said they didn't use them. WHY WHY WHY.

Why would you get rid of something like that? Just keep it in, it's not like it would have taken extra page space and they had already done the work to figure them out.

Otherwise the recipes are inventive and delicious. But ugh cups and tablespoons and teaspoons are
Jessica
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
The first time I leafed through this book I was kind of ho-hum about it - more scones and quick breads and cookies - whatever. But honestly the recipes are so spot-on it doesn't matter that you've seen these same items a thousand times before. These are the ones that should be the standards. Don't look for "low fat" or "healthy" but there is some damned fine baking in this book. Salted chocolate chip cookies alone make this a five star book. Pumpkin olive oil loaf backs it up.
Lise Gorajski
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love the combination of sweet and savory, as well as the addition of unusual ingredients. The cookbook is also a lot of fun to read. There are some slight errors in the book (e.g. the Savory Rosemary Popcorn refers to bacon fat in the instructions, but bacon fat is not listed in the ingredients.) Also, it would be helpful to include the "cold water test" (rather than checking color) if you don't have a candy thermometer. All in all, a very creative and interesting cookbook.
Kym
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Ovenly cookbook is more than a collection of wonderful bakery recipes. It is also the story of how two women came together and followed their hearts. As I am at such a crossroads myself, it was this story that spoke to me. It is not the opening of an awesome bakery that is calling me, but their story gives me courage as retire from one career and seek my next path.
Ryan
Jul 24, 2014 rated it liked it
I like how this cook book was done. The break downs make sense, and the base recipes to start off with are great. This is not and easy book, but more for those who have some knowledge of the kitchen and how the tools work. My one problem: my galley was in black and white, and I hope the real print edition is is color at least the pictures of the food.
Sarahkeith Valentine
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So many great recipes in this one, and lots of inspiration too. The Salted Dark Chocolate Pudding is a crowd pleaser and very easy. We've also loved the Black Chocolate Stout Cake with Salted Caramel Cream Cheese Buttercream. Oh, and the Blue Cheese Apple Pie with Toasted Walnuts is excellent too. I want to try every recipe!
Lisa
Nov 29, 2016 rated it liked it
I did not love this I did not hate it either. Generally there are pictures with most of the recipes. I did find about three recipes that I wanted to try to make. Almost all of the recipes I would LOVE to eat, but as far as making this stuff myself? There are too many ingredients and too many steps for an average person to enjoy making these.

• A Boat, a Whale & a Walrus: Menus and Stories
  • Baking with Less Sugar: Recipes for Desserts Using Natural Sweeteners and Little-to-No White Sugar
  • A Change of Appetite: Where Delicious Meets Healthy
  • Small Victories: Recipes, Advice + Hundreds of Ideas for Home Cooking Triumphs (Best Simple Recipes, Simple Cookbook Ideas, Cooking Techniques Book)
  • Booze Cakes: Confections Spiked with Spirits, Wine, and Beer
  • Food52 Baking
  • Seven Spoons: My Favorite Recipes for Any and Every Day
  • The Kitchn Cookbook: Recipes, Kitchens & Tips to Inspire Your Cooking
  • One Good Dish
  • King Solomon's Table: A Culinary Exploration of Jewish Cooking from Around the World
  • Home Made Summer
  • Huckleberry: Recipes, Stories, and Secrets from Our Kitchen
  • The Food52 Cookbook, Volume 2: Seasonal Recipes from Our Kitchens to Yours
  • Cookie Love: More Than 60 Recipes and Techniques for Turning the Ordinary into the Extraordinary
  • First Prize Pies: Shoo-Fly, Candy Apple, and Other Deliciously Inventive Pies for Every Week of the Year (and More)
  • Everything I Want to Eat: The New California Comfort Food from L.A.'s Sqirl
  • The Four & Twenty Blackbirds Pie Book: Uncommon Recipes from the Celebrated Brooklyn Pie Shop
  • What to Cook and How to Cook It