Start by marking “The Last Breath” as Want to Read:

The Last Breath

One woman will stop at nothing to discover the devastating truth about her family…

Chasing disasters around the globe keeps humanitarian aid worker Gia Andrews away from her own ground zero. Now, after sixteen years in jail for the murder of her stepmother in small-town Tennessee, Gia's father has come home to die of cancer. And she's responsible for his care.

Resuming the
Published September 30th 2014 by Harlequin MIRA (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Breath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Breath

Start your review of The Last Breath
Erin
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Erin by: Debbie Laurie
Shelves: books-i-own

My second KB read of 2019 and she is fastly becoming a go to favorite. Published in 2014, The Last Breath was impossible to put down.

It takes more than one person to make a lie-one to say it, and another to believe it. But when the person who says it is well-known and respected, more than one person listens. When that same person lays his hand on the Bible and swears before judge and jury that his lie is nothing but the truth so help him God, more than one person believes

Sixteen
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
Sep 23, 2014 rated it really liked it

Was it her husband, her lover, or an intruder that took Ella Mae's last breath?

Regardless of who the guilty party was, her husband, Ray Andrews, was convicted and sent to prison for sixteen years. Ray was now on his way home but not because he had served his sentence but because he was dying of cancer. Will his children be there to greet him or have they forgotten him as they did when he was in prison?

THE LAST BREATH moves from past to present telling the story of Ella Mae's life before she was
Susan
What a suspenseful tale of love, heartache, forgiveness, hope, secrets, and pain. The chemistry between Gia and Jake will have you turning the pages late into the night! The twists and turns in THE LAST BREATH will make it a very fast read as you will be flipping the pages like crazy because you have to know how it ends!! Many of them, I never saw coming! I can't wait to read more by Kimberly!
Elaine
Sep 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a really good read that kept me intrigued all the way through. Gia left town 16 years ago, straight after her father was sent to jail, found guilty of killing her stepmother Ella Mae. Now she is back. Dying from cancer, her father has been released from prison on house arrest to spend his last few weeks and Gia returns home to help care for him. Only now she must confront the past that she has spent the last few years running from. Should she go along with the popular belief that her ...more
Judy Collins
A special thank you to Harlequin MIRA and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Top 30 Books of 2014!

The Last Breath, the scandalous and edgy debut novel by southern writer, Kimberly Belle will blow your socks off, for a mix of tantalizing romance, an intriguing murder mystery, and an intense suspenseful thriller. It will leave you pondering, Wow! A southern powerhouse - If this is a debut novel, cannot wait for what is to come!

Gia Andrews, a wanderlust, a global world
Lynn Spencer
4.5 stars I found this novel by turns enthralling and unsettling. Though a strong thread of romance runs through the story, this is ultimately the tale of a heroine's journey. Following the conviction of her father for murdering her stepmother, Gia Andrews fled rural Tennessee, eventually settling into work as an international relief worker. She has only returned home because her father is dying and has been permitted to come home under certain parameters.

The story pulled me in at once as we see
Tim Chavel
Jul 31, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book has an excellent story line and is very well written. You may be wondering why I gave it a two star. Well, the two reasons are the filthy language used throughout the book and the detailed descriptions of the sex scenes. Both of these could have been left out of the book and it would have been a five star for me. The story is about a daughter that returns home as her father is release from prison to serve is final sentence dying of cancer at home. The story has many twists and turns. ...more
Julie
Jun 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My review of this book will be posted closer to the release date. Also, look for it in "Suspense Magazine" in the near future.
Erin Clemence
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Special thanks to the author, who provided me with a signed copy. No review was necessary, but out of appreciation, I will provide one anyway.

“The Last Breath” by Kimberly Belle is, to me, one of Belle’s lesser-known titles. It was written before “Three Days Missing” and “The Marriage Lie” (which I have, embarrassingly, not read yet) however, it is definitely worth checking out!

Humanitarian Aid worker Gia Andrews fled her small town sixteen years ago, when her father was sent to jail for
Mohade$eh
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
A woman is killed sixteen years ago and the law found her husband guilty. Now that the said husband is dying because of cancer, his children are finding new evidence that might show their father was innocent all these years.
It is a captivating story but more than anything I love how it's written; so easy and smooth and real.
Patty
Jul 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
By
Kimberly Belle

My " in a nutshell" summary...

Ray has been in prison for the last sixteen years...convicted of murdering his wife...Ella Mae. His three grown children have abandoned him...Lexi and Bo stayed in their town...but Gia...the youngest...has traveled the world to escape visiting or thinking about her father. Gia comes home to face her siblings and meets Jake the Bartender.

My thoughts after reading this book...

Gia reluctantly comes home to watch/help her father die. He
The CurvyJones
A few nits aside (like the constant reminders of how important and highly regarded Gia Andrews' job as an International Aid is), I really enjoyed this book. The first quarter of the book is a little slow but the pacing and the mystery picks up rather quickly. I really like reading a book where I can't tell whodunit and in The Last Breath, you literally don't find out until the end.

This story is told in dual time periods which works really well, with the events of the past uncovering clues in
Ashley Farley
Oct 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Based on the synopsis, The Last Breath met my expectations, no more and no less. This recent release offers a fast-paced plot with plenty of twists and turns and a couple of remarkable characters. I turned the pages quickly, plenty entertained. The problem is, there’s no wow factor, nothing extraordinary that sets this novel apart from the rest.

Let’s talk about the good. Gia Andrews is a well-drawn sympathetic character, a modern young woman who knows her own mind, full of flaws but not too
Margaret

It takes more than one person to make a lie - one to say it, and another to believe it.

The cover is what drew me to this book, are you noticing a trend here? Nothing like a gorgeous cover to grab ones attention. I love the back view, looking out at the world, there is something mystical about it. She is pondering life, her future and a past that she isn't sure she wants to revisit but resigns herself to the fact that she must. This is Gia, she is heading back home to face her father, a
Fig
Aug 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received this book as a Galley from the publisher without really knowing what it was about. I started reading it because I had nothing else to do, without knowing that I was gonna get hooked on it so fast.

Ms. Belle has a way with words that made me fall in love with this book. I rarely read Adult Fiction, or Suspense/Mystery types of books, but this novel just peaked my curiosity to a whole new level. Now I can't wait to read a new mystery novel.

The story itself is fascinating, the characters
Jenny Belk
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
From the first page I was hooked. This is an emotional read about family secrets that have devastating consequences. Gia is returning home after sixteen years away to care for her dying father who has just been released from prison. It won't be a happy reunion since her father was convicted of murdering her stepmother. Gia just wants the truth. Did he kill her or was he wrongfully convicted. Immediately the family and the entire small town is all abuzz over the scandal that rocked the town. ...more
Carol
I received an advance copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

I liked this book, but I didn't love it. Some characters were better developed than others. But I kind of felt like I was on a roller coaster of "he did it", "he didn't do it", etc... And maybe that is how the author wanted the reader to feel, but it was a little annoying by the end. Adult books can be written without foul language and promiscuity, but this one wasn't. Though the "adult" scenes are not overly graphic,
Tanya (mom's small victories)
A story about one family’s plight with grief and passion, love and loss, forgiveness and redemption, The Last Breath kept me intrigued until the very last word, my first 5-star book of 2015! For my full review and giveaway (ending 3/3/15 11:00pm EST), head over to Mom's Small Victories
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Aug 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
What a page-turner! I was on the edge of my seat until the very end of this book trying to figure out what happened to Ella Mae. I highly recommend this book along with Kimberly Belle's second novel, The Ones We Trust.
Danielle
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it

This one kept me interested and the story was good. There were plenty of twists and turns, but there wasn't much of a "wow" factor for me. I found this to be more about the characters and not really about the suspense of what happened/who did it, even though that was the heart of the story. I enjoyed it, and I really like this author's writing. I just expected a bit more from this book.
Tamara
Nov 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Review Originally Posted:Traveling With T

This book was sent to Traveling With T for review consideration by Harlequin Books.

The Last Breath

Gia Andrews chases and helps with disasters all over the world- no disaster is too large, too intimidating for Gia. Except one…. And no matter what, Gia does not think she can fix the one- the one that tore her family apart.

Gia’s dad is in prison for killing her step-mother. A crime that shocked and horrified the small Southern town that Gia and her family
Karyn Niedert
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
I was provided an ARC of "The Last Breath" through a Goodreads giveaway. Thanks go out to Goodreads, author Kimberly Belle, and publisher Harlequin MIRA for the opportunity to read this novel.

In "The Last Breath", Gia Andrews returns to her small town roots from her life as an international humanitarian aid worker. She's been called home to care for her father, Ray, in his final days of battling cancer. The thing is, he's being released from prison to spend his final days at home. His crime?
Amy
Jun 30, 2015 rated it liked it
This book has an excellent plot, relatable characters, realistic dialog and an amazing plot twist. I really had no idea the murder would be resolved this way. My biggest complaint about this book is the sex and that is why I gave it 3, not 4 stars. Good thing I read it close to Easter as the characters are screwing like rabbits. Weary of reading about the burning passion and how one character even had an orgasm while being raped and beaten because she was so turned on by this man. I understand ...more
Lesley
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book kept me turning pages from start to finish, through a tragic tale of loves, past and present, and giving insight to how families become victims of those who commit crimes. I'm not ashamed to say it made me cry at one point, and not where I expected.
Beautifully written, and I'm just starting The Ones We Trust by the same author.
I hope I enjoy this one every bit as much.
Cheryl
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-read
Within the last couple of months, I read THE MARRIAGE LIE and THREE DAYS MISSING by Kimberly Belle and enjoyed both of them immensely. To my surprise and excitement, I was going through one of my TBR bookcases and found THE LAST BREATH.

Gia has returned, after being away for 16 years to be with her father in his final days. She and her siblings have not seen him since the day he was sent to prison for the murder of his wife, their stepmom. I don't want to give anything else away.

This book was
Vikki
Oct 27, 2014 rated it liked it
The Last Breath by Kimberly Belle just didn't do it for me. It was just too much! Maybe it was too chick-lity, maybe it was too unrealistic-not all these things could happen to one person, maybe it was just a little too much sex for me. It started with a murder. Gia Andrews came home to Rogersville, Tennessee after globetrotting around the world chasing disasters. Her father is being released from prison to come home to die. He was convicted of the murder of Gia's stepmother. We meet Gia's ...more
Lisa B.
Dec 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
My Thoughts

When Gia Andrews father was convicted of killing her stepmother, her coping method was to become an aid worker and run as far away from her hometown as possible. When her Dad is released early because he has a terminal illness, she reluctantly returns to be a caregiver. While home, she makes more discoveries than she ever thought possible.

Lucky me that I picked this book to read on a day off. It was so engrossing, I finished it in one day. This ended up being a page turner, as we
Cheryl
Sep 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is more than just a book. The Last Breath is a breath taking good read! Instantly I felt for Gia, her father, her brother, sister, and Uncle. What they all were going through as a family felt very real. From the anger, sadness, fear of facing reality, death, love, and the truth. So many emotions. The author did a wonderful job of weaving them all into the characters and the story.

Right from the beginning however I had a really good idea of who killed Gia's mother and why. However this
Christina McDonald
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fantastically plotted Whydunnit, more than a Whodunnit. The Last Breath follows humanitarian aid worker Gia Andrews as she returns home to take care of her dying father, who has been released from jail on compassionate grounds after famously murdering her stepmother over a decade ago.

Confronting the past, Gia must decide if she believes her father is guilty and why her uncle, her father’s lawyer, didn’t work as hard as he should have to get her father released from prison.

Told from Gia’s point
Tabatha
Aug 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-books
**I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for my honest review**

I absolutely loved this book!! Read it in two days, simply because I could not put it down!! Typically, I'm not one for romance (at all really). But the small amount of love scenes in this book, are necessary to the story line. And Kimberly Belle does a great job of keeping your interest while telling a very complicated story!

Simply put, READ this book!! It is very well written with great flow for a mystery!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• The Nanny
  • Favourite Daughter
  • Her One Mistake
  • The Perfect Wife
Kimberly Belle is the USA Today and internationally bestselling author of five novels, including the forthcoming domestic suspense, Dear Wife (June 2019). Her third novel, The Marriage Lie, was a semifinalist in the 2017 Goodreads Choice Awards for Best Mystery & Thriller, and her work has been translated into a dozen languages. A graduate of Agnes Scott College, Belle divides her time between ...more