Start by marking “Romans 1 - 7 for You” as Want to Read:
Romans 1 - 7 for You

Romans 1 - 7 for You

(God's Word for You)

Join Dr Timothy Keller as he opens up the first half of the book of Romans, helping you to get to grips with its meaning and showing how it transforms our hearts and lives today.

Written for people of every age and stage, from enquirers to new believers to pastors and teachers, this flexible resource is for you to: READ: As a guide to this wonderful letter, helping you app
Audiobook
Published February 4th 2014 by christianaudio (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Romans 1 - 7 for You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Romans 1 - 7 for You

Michael Boling
Feb 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
John Calvin once declared regarding the Book of Romans, “When one gains a knowledge of this Epistle, he has an entrance opened to him to all the most hidden treasures of Scripture.” With that said, understanding the important biblical truths subsumed within this New Testament book is of great importance for all believers. Much has been penned throughout the centuries on Romans, with some excellent exegesis of the Apostle Paul’s message and quite frankly, some rather poor analysis and application ...more
Glenn Crouch
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
This is a very nice, easy-to-read introduction to the first half of Paul's Letter to the Romans. Each passage (typically about half a chapter) is approached in 2 parts with questions at the end of each part - thus making this book ideal for personal study or for group study. I do enjoy Keller's approach and I think he brings out the basics of Romans quite well.

Also the two appendices - especially the on on idolatry was very much appreciated - a nice inclusion. As was the Bibliography!
Paul
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good as a helpful overview, although it's really odd of the author and/or publisher to choose to publish the two volumes as chapters 1-7 & then 8-16 - a wrong division of Romans and rather assumes the reader will buy both volumes which may not be too their advantage as publishers. However, yes it's helpful. His little section on NT Wright's so called "new perspective" is necessary and useful - although I think it warrants an even stronger refutation. But yeah I'd recommend it.
Susan
I appreciate Tim Keller's careful exegesis as well as his commitment to a Christ-centered approach to theology. This is one of those books I needed to take my time with, so I could think carefully through the commentary. Highly recommended.
Jonathan Lee
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed reading the For You series and look forward to it branching out to other books of the Bible. Keller who I believe is a magnificent writer who communicates the deep things of God clearly. It is a good read to understand the basic meaning of Romans. It is not a critical commentary of the text but more of a sermon based commentary.
Frank Peters
Dec 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Right near the beginning of the book Keller says that the book is not a commentary. This was a good thing to write, since if you were hoping for a commentary on the first 7 chapters of Romans you might have been disappointed. Rather, this book is a devotional journey through the first 7 chapters of Romans, where Keller is being a pastor and teacher. He wants to lead the reader through those areas that he thinks are especially important. I really liked the book. It was useful spiritually and inte ...more
Ashley
Nov 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first time I've read a study that takes scripture verse by verse and expounds on it. I appreciated it a lot! I never felt like he missed or glossed over something. Needless to say, I learned a lot. Not just about Romans 1-7, but also about studying scripture in general. I recommend this book for people interested in hearing Paul talk about salvation by works vs salvation by faith and grace, and how that distinction should affect our lives.
Starla
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In classic Tim Keller style, he takes the monumental teachings of the apostle Paul and explains them in ways that are meaningful and understandable---not simple, mind you, but clear. The first half of the Biblical book of Romans (Chapters 1-7 which are covered in this book) is all about the "gospel," what it is and what it isn't. “The gospel centers on Jesus. It is about a person, not a concept; it is about him, not us. We never grasp the gospel until we understand that it is not fundamentally a ...more
Maggie Boyd
A great deal of Protestant teaching is based on the theology found in this book; It has been instrumental in shaping the faith of Martin Luther and John Calvin as well as a host of others. Being a fan of Pastor Keller's, I was excited to see how he viewed this pivotal epistle. I was a bit disappointed in his take on the issue.

One of my biggest problems with his take was the contradictions. For instance:

So the third option is best—that Paul is answering the objection: How can people be judged ac
Tim Martin
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I agreed to co-lead a Bible study on the book of Romans with a brother from church, I was utterly naive regarding the density of the book's theology. Tim Keller's Romans 1-7 For You provides a great examination in its own right but also a great counterpoint to my other secondary source,Be Right (Romans) by Warren W. Wiersbe.

Keller's writing style is smooth and understandable. He relates complex concepts clearly and naturally, building not only understanding, but ensuring a solid foundation
Nickole Joanny Araujo
This book is amazing! Helped me a lot on the reading of Romans, timothy was so used by God on its lines, hope this book bless more people, as it blessed me! Sometimes we don't unsderstand God's purpouse in our life, but all we need to understand is our salvation in Jesus Christ that is only by faith, because when we understand this our life is completely changed, I love how God works in people's lives...
Michael
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Romans is one of those books that is easy to read with your eyes, but its a little harder to read it with your head. Continuing in the God's Word For You series, Keller puts out an incredible companion to Romans for the average Bible scholar. It helps see the clear outline of Romans, as well as pose some of the questions Paul may have been anticipating from his audience. Excellent Resource.
Jonathan Roberts
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, own, romans
More of an application commentary than most, but I found Keller’s ability to cut to the heart of a passage and then turn around and apply it deftly to our culture, to be very very useful and a blessing to me! Highly recommended!
Scott Guillory
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a big help in leading a Bible study at a work release facility in Acadiana. Keller gives really simple illustrations and easy-to-understand explanations to help Christians grasp the principles Paul lays out in Romans.
Sophie
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really helpful accompaniment to reading Romans. Read it together with my husband as we spent time making sense of Romans and what it means for our day to day life.
Scott Sengbush
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great breakdown of Romans, but felt like drinking from a fire hydrant at times.
Ricky Smith
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-libary
Great little devotional aid. I'll look forward to part two, and some more in the series.
Joshua D.
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful homletical commentary on the first 7 chapters of Romans. Adapeted from Redeemer NYC Bible Studies.
Glen
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

After reading this short book I have a greater appreciation for the salvation through Christ which God has graciously given to me.
Jónatas Lopes
Muito fraco este guia! Não vale a pena comprar.

Atenção: O livro é muito bom.
James
Feb 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charismatics like Corinthians, emotional people like Philippians and justice advocates like Galatians. But ‘serious theologians’ love Romans. I’m kidding, although Romans is highly significant. This is Paul at his deepest. It is no wonder that ‘Romans is a book that repeatedly changes the world by changing people” (7). Augustine was converted from his reading of Romans, Luther came to a fresh understanding of Justification and countless others have been inspired, challenged by this Pauline Epist ...more
Doug Hibbard
Feb 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Timothy Keller has presented two prior volumes in his “For You” commentary series. I have had the pleasure of reading Judges for You, though I have not read Galatians for You yet. The series consists of hardcover (or Kindle) books that run under 200 pages, and is presented by The Good Book Company.

This one is Romans 1-7 For You. First, Keller is to be commended for not trying to cover Romans in a complete 200 page book. The haste would have been problematic. Even with the breakdown, it is diffic
Josh
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think it is impossible to overstate the power and significance that the book of Romans has played throughout church history. Even though each book of the Bible is equally inspired by the Spirit of God, there is just something about Romans that has drawn men to see the wickedness of their sin, the beauty of the Savior, and thus cultivating a deeper desire to walk in holiness. Tim Keller’s commentary on the first 7 chapters of the book of Romans offers a unique pastoral commentary to the mix of ...more
Kevin Thompson
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: commentary
Tim Keller has done it again. On this blog, I have reviewed two other commentaries in the God’s Word for you series. Both have been incredible (read Galatians here and Judges here). So, it was with high expectations when I began to anticipate Romans 1-7 For Your being dropped off by the book fairy. I was not disappointed.

Like the two other books I have reviewed, Romans 1-7 simply drips with the gospel. Though I suppose that is not hard to do with a book like Romans, Keller does it in such a way
Travis
Feb 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved Judges For You by Tim Keller, and was very excited to get my hands on a copy of Romans 1-7 for You as soon as it came out. In no way was I disappointed. Tim Keller is a pastor who is well-respected for thinking big thoughts and communicating those big thoughts in very clear, very understandable, very impactful ways. Keller does this kind of thinking and communicating well in this latest work.

In this brief look at Romans 1-7, Keller speaks with depth and clarity. This book is not a scho
Justin
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Romans 1-7

Timothy Keller's style is straightforward and clear. He is also quick to highlight passages that have been interpreted multiple ways and prevent cogent defense of his interpretation.
I recommend this to anyone reading Romans on their own or leading a study.
Greg
Mar 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book by Tim Keller.

True to form, Keller takes us through the first 7 chapters of Romans and shows us the meaning behind the words on the page. He explains in simple and easy-to-understand words the complex themes from this incredible book of the Bible is saying to us and how it can and should change our lives as a result of reading it.

If you want to understand the core of Christianity, I recommend that you get a hold or this book or the audiobook.

Romans 1-7 For You: For reading, fo
Roger Leonhardt
Feb 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Keller is always a good read, or in this case a good listen. He takes us through the first seven chapters of my favorite book of the Bible, Paul’s letter to the Romans. We hear about such weighty subjects as Depravity, Salvation, Sanctification, etc. With that said, Keller uses very understandable language to explain some of these most profound doctrines.

This is not a dry theological tome. It is warm and practical but also contains some good meat for reflection. I guaranty you will gain somethin
Jonathan Esterman
Jan 10, 2015 rated it liked it
England's narration is one that is not easy to miss. With a characteristic, slightly husky, voice, England commands attention of the audience by stating the facts more so than waxing over them. Each sentence he narrates carries an authority to it that pairs up well with Keller's works. Combining an authoritative writer with an authoritative narrator provides one option: an authoritative audiobook.

With this in mind, the content presented is right up the alley of Keller's works and what one would
Alex Lopez
Jun 28, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
It should be noted that before reading this book, my perception of Dr. Keller was marred by a very uncharitable review written by him. I have been very blessed by his ministry, and thoroughly enjoy listening to his sermons. I would give this 2.5 stars if I could. The content is quite dry for the audience Tim Keller is writing to (the type of person who would not necessarily read a scholarly commentary on Romans). I was given this book as a gift from my mother so I thought I would see how it hold ...more

• Hebrews MacArthur New Testament Commentary
  • Exalting Jesus in Matthew (Christ-Centered Exposition)
  • What Is Biblical Theology?: A Guide to the Bible's Story, Symbolism, and Patterns
  • Jesus, Keep Me Near the Cross: Experiencing the Passion and Power of Easter
  • How God Became Jesus: The Real Origins of Belief in Jesus' Divine Nature—A Response To Bart Ehrman
  • The Whole Christ: Legalism, Antinomianism, and Gospel Assurance—Why the Marrow Controversy Still Matters
  • Evangelism: How the Whole Church Speaks of Jesus
  • Jesus the Messiah: A Survey of the Life of Christ
  • From Heaven He Came and Sought Her: Definite Atonement in Historical, Biblical, Theological, and Pastoral Perspective
  • Antinomianism: Reformed Theology's Unwelcome Guest?
  • The Unbelievable Gospel: Say Something Worth Believing
  • The Cradle, the Cross, and the Crown: An Introduction to the New Testament
  • Covenantal Apologetics: Principles and Practice in Defense of Our Faith
  • The Book of Revelation
  • The IVP Bible Background Commentary: New Testament
  • Joshua: No Falling Words
  • The Letter of James (The Pillar New Testament Commentary)
  • Romans (Saint Andrews Expositional Commentary)

Timothy Keller is the founding pastor of Redeemer Presbyterian Church in Manhattan, which he started in 1989 with his wife, Kathy, and three young sons. For over twenty years he has led a diverse congregation of young professionals that has grown to a weekly attendance of over 5,000.

He is also Chairman of Redeem

God's Word for You (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Exodus for You
  • Judges for You
  • 1 Samuel for You (God's Word for You)
  • 2 Samuel For You: The Triumphs and Tragedies of God's King (God's Word For You)
  • Daniel For You
  • Micah For You: Acting Justly, Loving Mercy
  • Luke 1-12 for You (God's Word for You)
  • Luke 12-24 for You