Start by marking “Broken Souls (Eric Carter, #2)” as Want to Read:
Broken Souls (Eric Carter, #2)

Broken Souls

(Eric Carter #2)

When necromancer Eric Carter returned to Los Angeles after fifteen years on the run he knew things were bad, but he never imagined how bad they could get. Sister murdered, best friend dead, married to the patron saint of death, Santa Muerte.

And things are just getting worse.

His link to the Aztec death goddess is changing his powers, changing him, and he’s not sure how far
Published August 5th 2014 by DAW

ᴥ Irena ᴥ
I couldn't wait to finish this book. It took its sweet time to grab my attention.

I loved the first book, but Eric acted as if he lost his mind here. To be fair, I love the main premise for the series - a necromancer dealing with Aztec gods, ghosts, serial killers and stuff. In this book his antagonist can take other person's skin and wear it. Disgusting and creepy. Should have been awesome.

(view spoiler)
Anne
Aug 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Also reviewed for Addicted2Heroines.

This is nowhere near what I would consider my normal genre, but I really liked it anyway.
Broken Souls has that Pulp Fiction feel to it that made me think of hard-boiled detectives and L.A. noirish stuff.
Or at least, this is what I assume those books are like.
*cough, cough*
I've, uh, never actually read a True Crime story. But this was what I imagine they would be like.
Take my ramblings with a grain of salt.

Eric Carter isn't the kind of guy who has a girlfriend,
Veronica
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is what happens when you eat other people's souls. I don't recommend it.

Another crazy and dark adventure of the not-so-fun-kind, at least not for poor Eric. This is no nonsense UF and I got quite a kick out of it. I also liked the introduction of the Bruja. Hopefully she'll stick around. I'm moving straight into the third book.
Phillip III
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In the Second Eric Carter novel, BROKEN SOULS, by Stephen Blackmoore, six months have passed since the events that occurred in DEAD THINGS. Things are twice as hectic, and detrimental as last time!

Forced into a marriage with the Queen of the Dead, Eric is desperate to find a way to annul the binding vows. Aside from a wedding band he can't remove from his finger, Eric's eyes have become like pitch black marbles. No iris, no whites. He knows he'd made a rash decision in getting married, but there
Phil Hornshaw
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Eric Carter is one of those protagonists who takes a serious beating basically constantly, and it makes his urban fantasy world feel a lot more real as he fires off spells and sics ghosts on people. He's a bit of a magical John McClane, and his emotional damage makes him as interesting as the physical scars he picks up.

Blackmoore does a great job of putting Carter into a mysterious world he only barely understands. This story and the one before it function as action-packed dives into the strang
Beth Cato
Sep 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014, urban, horror
Wow, is this a fast read. It zooms by. Blackmoore has a twisted, wicked mind--I like it! He's completely ruthless on his not-so-noble protagonist, necromancer Eric Carter. Eric wants to break his unholy matrimony with Santa Muerte and instead finds he's even deeper in her web than he realized. There's backstabbing upon backstabbing upon backstabbing, yet everything flows and makes sense. Blackmoore's Los Angeles is beautiful and dingy and honest.
Patrick
Feb 19, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was alright. I expected a lot more from it after the first book. I mostly felt like Dead Things was a pretty good book with some big and some small flaws that might improve as the series goes on and the writer gets more comfortable with the characters and world. I think some of the minor things are cleaned up to an extent, but some of the major issues are still there and even some of the things I liked in the first book are lacking in this one. Ultimately, we're left with a book that i ...more
Kev
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.
Kristin  (MyBookishWays Reviews)

Oh, man, have I missed Eric Carter. Shame on Stephen Blackmoore for not writing faster for my enjoyment! Just kidding, I’m willing to wait, because I know it’ll be worth it, and Broken Souls proves that. To catch you up a bit, Eric isn’t exactly the luckiest guy. His sister was murdered not too long ago. His best friend, Alex, is dead, and his ex-girlfriend Vivian (who was hooked up with Alex), blames him and won’t speak to him (he doesn’t blame her), and
Melliane
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mon avis en Français

My English review

I really had a good time with the first volume and as soon as finished, I ordered the second volume (do you believe me if I tell you that I did the same for the third one?) To discover the rest of the adventures of Eric Carter. It must be said that the novel did not finish very well for him!

Since the death of his best friend, Eric tries to distance himself from all his knowledge. Yet he is still more than determined to discover how to break his tie to Santa M
Nervous Nellie Justice
To say I enjoyed this graphic audio book would be an understatement. I finally tried this kind of audio book. This is really a performance more than a narration. I normally enjoy a good narrator with the voice changes and inflections, but this graphic audio really ramps up the experience. Instead of listening to one person, there are a bunch of narrators speaking individual Nervous_Nellie_100parts. It's an incredible experience and a very nice change of pace.

Okay, on to the book. I have been a S
Joanne Garbato
Jun 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have just discovered urban fantasy and I love it...or maybe I just love the way Stephen Blackmoore does it.Necromancer Eric Carter returns to LA after a 15 year absence when his sister is murdered.He is married to Santa Muerte,the patron saint of death.There is a big,nasty Russian trying to kill him and wear his skin.Helping him are his dead friend,Alex(or is it?) and a bruja named Gabriella.How are they all connected?I love the humor,prose,characters,action and imagination and highly recommen ...more
Elisa
Oct 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I am loving this series especially because I have no idea where it is going and I am just along for the ride. The lead tries his best to be moral and to do what he thinks is right, but he upsets everyone along the way. He also seems to be a pawn in a longer game.
Gods, necromancy, wizards, Russian thugs, elementals and gang bangers make up this LA urban fantasy. It is violent and gross, ghosts can kill you and who knows what the gods want in all of this.
Looking forward to the next one!
M.L. Brennan
May 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully atmospheric LA noir urban fantasy, really making use of the setting, and keeping consistent with the breakneck pace, hairpin turns, and high stakes of DEAD THINGS. Mixing dark and nasty violence with sarcastic humor, sign me up for #3.
David
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Intriguing second book about magic wielder Eric Carter has a wild ride through L,A.,dealing with wind gods, goddesses of the dead (Santa Mureta)in a very good urban fantasy noir book. Loved it!
Adam J.
Mar 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the first book a little more, but am really looking forward to seeing where this series goes. Highly recommend.
Sensitivemuse
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
FYI for those of you who haven‘t read the first one. It’s best to do so.

***Spoilers ahead. You’ve been warned***

It amazes me how much Eric Carter can take. It makes sense now, because of his new found powers and his recent unsteady alliance with Santa Muerte. But in the last book? He was thrown about like a rag doll and still managed to do the dirty deed with the lady friend. (I’d rather plop down and sleep for an eternity and lick my wounds but everyone’s different right?.)

Like the first one, t
Jefferson
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I may be overstating this to give it four stars... but Broken Souls is entirely successful in what it sets out to do. An urban magical thriller, it is not designed to change your life or challenge your beliefs. It is fast-paced noir mash-up of Dashiell Hammett and... oh, I don't know... Charlaine Harris? A better analogy might be Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden on steroids.

I found the first book (Dead Things) to be nebulous... in setting up the world of a magical Los Angeles (where ghosts, demons, d
Nigel Bird
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
'I didn’t know a lot of magic back then. Enough to get into trouble, not enough to get back out again.'

Necromancer Eric Carter has lost everything and gained a wife in the form of Santa Muerte, the patron saint of death.

He returns to LA to meet up with Harvey Kettleman, a fellow mage and a powerful one at that, there’s every chance that Carter will be able to gather enough information to set his life on the right path once again. Unfortunately, Kettleman turns out to be someone else entirely – a
JP
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
I’ve been lied to a lot, lately. And some of it’s been with the truth.

Broken Souls follows up the craziness that was Dead Things and turns the dial up yet again. We get some fascinating worldbuilding, expanding both the series' view of necromancy and the dead and the Aztec side of Santa Muerte.

The necromancy isn't that different from what you'd expect to see in any series dealing directly with magic and death, but it's still used well. Being able to jump back and forth between the land of the d
donna_ehm
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
I'd go 2.5 because while I still enjoyed the writing and energy of the story, I have to say I didn't feel invested in it. I think that's because it felt like watching a typical superhero/action-y movie where it's just one over-the-top fight sequence after another, with the main character taking increasingly ridiculous amounts of pain and injury with next to no affect. Clearly nothing is going to happen to him or her, so why should I care?

I wanted to get more into the character of Eric Carter bu
Megan
Okay, the main character getting his butt handed to him is supposed to be a sign that we met the Big Bad, not Tuesday. Seriously, how is this guy so "powerful" yet he's always getting beaten up and escaping every battle by the skin of his teeth?

Like the first book, this one lacked a certain level of sophistication, but it was still a fun read. I was hoping the author was just getting warmed up in the first book, but if that's the case, it's going to be a long exercise.

And I still maintain that E
Alicia Utter
Rating: 6/10
Pages: 264

I enjoyed this follow up in the series. However, you definitely want to read the first novel. This book is pretty dark, obviously with the deaths of his sister. I did enjoy the best friend and his new wife.

I felt the struggle of Eric of fighting the god off in him, and his powers, to be a bit long and I just kind of felt impeded the rest of the story. There is a LOT packed into the book, and at times, I had to stop and remember all that was going on. But it is a page turne
Ben
Jun 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Still not the biggest fan of this series. I feel as though it could be improved. That being said I do enjoy the no non-sense main character. The brutality works well. People get hurt, die, etc. The problem I have with it is that with all of these character dying I rarely care about. This is because we are rarely given enough time to form emotional investments in characters other than the main ones.

I will probably keep reading this hoping to have the series improve.

Mei
Oct 31, 2017 rated it liked it
The kind of easy read urban fantasy which I don’t mind. Some kind of wise-cracking central hero character of dubious morality but who unfailingly behaves like a white knight gentleman around ladies (although this doesn’t stop him from beating them up himself, albeit they are usually trying to kill him at that point). And who gets increasingly beaten up as the book progresses, getting into worse and worse shape. There are echoes of Harry Dresden in there. An entertaining read.
Cynthia
Okay, this book may not actually be a five star read, but I was having a really shitty month and this was the only bright spot. I love Eric Carter. He is my son, my sweet fuck-up, my idiot boy. He is probably one of my favorite male characters of all time, right up there with John Constantine. He's...just such a fuck up. Everything he touches turns to garbage. Poor baby.
Mary Good
Jul 18, 2019 rated it liked it
A lot of chaos, action and personal injury. Characters are not who they seem to be sometimes. After finishing it, I’m still not sure what the plot was. Seems like a comic book series or game of thrones that goes on and on with no resolution or end it sight.
It was still an entertaining read. Hmm.
Caitlin
Jun 28, 2019 rated it liked it
It's not enough that he's angered a death god, he's also got someone out to kill him. Lots of violence, magic tossed around, creepy spells, and lies.
A decent dark urban fantasy story, but a little lacking in the something extra to make it stand out.
Andrea O'Sullivan
Feb 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Was alright. I don't plan on continuing the series as it's just too grim. At least Dresden has some humor to lighten the dark, but the persistent bleakness here wears fairly quickly leaving little contrast for emotional punch in the climax.
Azhar
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good.

Eric Carter is the type of character I have such a strong fondness for. A person who fucks up more than they should, regrets it, but keeps moving forward. Definitely picked it up if you have a chance.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Veiled (Alex Verus, #6)
  • The Killing Floor Blues (Daniel Faust, #5)
  • Attack the Geek (Ree Reyes, #2.5)
  • The Minority Council (Matthew Swift, #4)
  • The Blue Blazes (Mookie Pearl, #1)
  • Game of Cages (Twenty Palaces, #2)
  • The Nimble Man (The Menagerie, #1)
  • Roadside Magic (Gallow and Ragged, #2)
  • In the House of the Wicked (Remy Chandler, #5)
  • Downfall (Cal Leandros, #9)
  • Eyes to See (Jeremiah Hunt, #1)
  • The Getaway God (Sandman Slim, #6)
  • At the Gates (Demon Squad, #3)
  • Vision Quest (The Demon's Apprentice, #3)
  • Wild Card (Etudes in C#, #1)
  • The Foul Mouth and the Mancy Martial Artist (The King Henry Tapes, #5)
Stephen Blackmoore is the author of the noir / urban fantasy Eric Carter series (DEAD THINGS, BROKEN SOULS, HUNGRY GHOSTS, and FIRE SEASON), about a necromancer in modern-day Los Angeles.

You can find him online at stephenblackmoore.com, or follow him on Twitter at @sblackmoore.

Eric Carter (5 books)
  • Dead Things (Eric Carter #1)
  • Hungry Ghosts (Eric Carter, #3)
  • Fire Season (Eric Carter #4)
  • Ghost Money (Eric Carter #5)
“A group of ghosts is a fraid. No, really. I don’t know what jackass came up with that one, but it’s a real thing. A fraid of ghosts. Clearly, they’ve never seen a group of ghosts. Otherwise it’d be a “Pants-Shitting Terror” of ghosts.” 6 likes
“There are other kinds of ghosts. Torn-down landmarks, faded histories, memories of things you’ll never get back.” 1 likes