Start by marking “The Sweetest Summer (Bayberry Island, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Sweetest Summer (Bayberry Island, #2)

The Sweetest Summer

(Bayberry Island #2)

A mermaid statue could be the cause of heartbreak or everlasting romance for a practical-minded police chief and his first love—in the second of the delicious Bayberry Island trilogy by national bestselling author Susan Donovan....

Every instinct told Police Chief Clancy Flynn that his island’s claim to fame was nothing but a silly tourist attraction. But now and then, he
Published August 5th 2014 by Signet

To ask other readers questions about The Sweetest Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sweetest Summer

Debbie Lester
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Susan Donovan brings reader's the second book in her Bayberry Island series, centering around a local mermaid statue with a legend for finding true love. The Sweetest Summer is exactly what it appears to be, a sweet romance, that is both heartwarming and enchanting at the same time. Where Donovan differs from the 'same ol' love story' is in the details. Her ability to add secondary conflict and emotional situations sets this book apart from the typical contemporary romance. Donovan provides a gr ...more
Lynsey   (A Bookish Life)
Aug 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
The sweetest summer of Police Chief Clancy Flynn's life was the one when he met, and fell in love with, Evelyn McGuinness. It just about broke his heart when her vacation ended and she had to leave. So imagine how much his little police shorts get in a twist when she turns back up again years later looking as gorgeous as ever...

And it's not just his shorts that are cute in this book: The romance is delicious, the little niece is practically edible, and the whole family dynamic and feeling is as
Molly
Jul 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I just picked this up at CVS on my way to a pool day and was so pleasantly surprised by this book. Not too cheesy and beautifully written! I'm excited to read the other books in the series!
Michele
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's okay so far. Based on book one in the series, I have a pretty good idea of how this is going to go. The question is how will the authoritative at the unavoidable ending but not make it a cookie cutter, carbon copy of the first book? How will it be different yet still work with the theme set up in the first book? Stay tuned! okay..finished. it was a cute read and it kept to the theme but wasn't a cookie cutter of book one
Jane Willis
Jun 22, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a lovely summer read with the addition of an intriguing plot that introduces some very exciting episodes in the book. Undemanding yet engrossing, it's perfect for whiling away a hit afternoon or two in the garden. I would have given it more stars if it wasn't for a bit of overacting on the part of some of the peripheral characters and the hint of superstition/supernatural that runs through the book.
Susan
Nov 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: own-audible, romance
This was an interesting story with some legend intertwined. I liked the plot and even the characters.

What I had a hard time with was the language and a very long detailed sex scene that seemed to take forever to skip over.
Gail  M. Mason
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story line

This was a different and interesting setting with fantasy, an island setting in New England, mystery and love. Very enjoyable reading witch included an entertaining child character that was believable and adorable. Lite and enjoyable reading.
Kim
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
The perfect beach read!
Janeiowa
This is an Ok read if you like flashbacks to 18 yrs ago, fantasy, etc.
OpenBookSociety.com
Aug 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jerjen

Brought to you by OBS reviewer Jerjen

The Sweetest Summer by Susan Donovan is the “sweetest” read. It’s the story of Clancy, Evie, Chrissy, and a mermaid. It’s a story about love, reunions, and duty with a touch of magic thrown in.

Bayberry Island is well known for it’s Mermaid Statue, which legend says will help to bring true love to anyone who asks for the Mermaid’s help in matters of the heart. Clancy, an island boy, doesn’t believe the legend and actuall
Betty
Jul 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Betty by: Sent to me for review

THE SWEETEST SUMMER

Susan Donovan

Signet Select
August 2014

The mermaid statue that sits in Fountain Square on Bayberry Island can be your best friend or your worst enemy, or so it seems to Clancy Flynn who, as a teenager, had nothing but disgust for the mermaid’s legend. Eighteen summers ago a young girl and her family came to the Island for the Festival, and Clancy felt the first stirrings of love. When she left, he wanted desperately to believe in the legend. After college and time spent on the B
Elizabeth H.
A story with “a second chance at first love.”

I really love the whimsical feel of Bayberry Island and the legend of the mermaid fountain. Can you find your one true love by asking the mermaid for guidance with an honest heart? Clancy Flynn doesn’t think so. Eighteen years ago he met the love of his life. Granted, he was only fourteen at the time, but he knew in his heart that Evie was the one for him. After the festival ended and she left with her family, Clancy never saw or heard from her again.
Ellie
Jul 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Sweetest Summer, Bayberry Island #2, by Susan Donovan
Grade: B

"Of course, Clancy would never tell another soul that he blamed his bad love juju on a slab of bronze. That was just between his and the stone-cold harpy of Fountain Square."

Clancy Flynn dreads the Bayberry mermaid festival every year, not just because it makes his job ten times harder but also because of his disdain for the statue that can either curse or bless a person's love life. Now divorced, Clancy still hasn't made peace wit
Kimberly
3.5 stars - My review cross-posted from Wit and Sin: http://witandsin.blogspot.com/2014/07...

True love gets a second chance in The Sweetest Summer . Susan Donovan’s second Bayberry Island novel is an ideal vacation read – breezy but not without depth.

Evie is a woman at the end of her rope. She’s desperate to keep her niece, Christina, out of the clutches of the girl’s biological father, a Congressman who’ll seemingly stop at nothing to get his way. Evie may not be wholly in the right, but as th
Joy
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Superbly awesome storytelling. A little magic sprinkled with humor and stirred with romance and love of family and community goes a long way in telling the story of a sister determined to keep a promise to her sister after the tragic loss of both her mother and her sister. It's a tale of second chances and finding love when least expected. Whether it's romantic love or love of family, friends or a community, people need to be loved and surrounded by the support freely offered.

This juxtaposed wi
Shawn
Aug 06, 2014 rated it liked it
This book was hilarious. As I rode the train, I smiled, chuckled and looked utterly stunned reading this book. However, there were several fundamental problems I had with The Sweetest Summer and they were:

1. The pace was slow especially with the 18 years ago chapters placed throughout the book. It became a little old regressing back in time towards the end. Then the end was resolved swiftly; in a matter of pages.

2. Chrissy, the 4-year old niece was absolutely adorable and animated. However, for
Tracey
Aug 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Life as Evelyn McGuinness has taken a turn for the surreal. On the run to protect her niece, she has returned to the place that she first found love. Clancy Flynn, now the chief of police of Bayberry Island, Massachusetts, remembers that summer, too and fondly, which is funny, given that he doesn't even believe in love. When Fate, or a Mermaid, bring Clancy and Evelyn together again, though, he wonders if second chance love is possible.

All of the characters in the book are just so real that you
mandyfujita
Oct 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Susan Donovan has put an interesting twist into the romance realm. The two lovers met and fell in love on a Bayberry Island when they were teenagers and have been apart for 18 years. They are thrown together because the main character, Evelyn McGuinness, kidnapped her niece. She hides out on Bayberry Island where her 1st love, Clancy Flynn, happens to be the police chief.

Evelyn's sister, Amanda, had her sister swear that if anything happened to her that Evelyn would keep her daughter Christina
Maureen ~Bitch Can Write A Book
This is awesomeness! Pure unadulterated AWESOMENESS!

This is the second book in the Bayberry Island trilogy. It was so sweet and funny and just about the best contemporary ever. I have a HUGE thing for Clancy. And Evie was his 'one' that got away. Even though they were to young, it was destiny. This story was so well written. I glided through it. I adored Chris, what an adorable little kid. The whole story just worked from beginning to end.

And between Clancy's quirky town and his equally quirky
Cara
Sep 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
This story dealt with some tough circumstances with an aunt running away with her deceased sister's child to prevent the child from being taken away by the father, who has just learned of the child and plots to take her away.

But the main plot is truly sweet as 2 adults are reunited after having been each other's first loves at 14. The flashback chapters that show up throughout the book really give the reader 2 romances for the price of one, and the genuinely decent star-crossed lovers slowly f
Krissys
Sep 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: featured-books, star
I received a print copy in exchange for an honest review from Netgalley.

I really enjoyed The Sweetest Summer, it was filled with heart and a depth that kept me coming back for more. I especially loved Clancy because he was one of the male hero figures that did his role so flawlessly and perfectly that I couldn't help but respect and love him. I also found myself really loving Evie because even though she's on the run with her niece, she's in that position for a reason. There is a purpose behind
Urszula
Aug 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This is one of the random books I pick up in our local library. What a great find :-)

The setting was magical. The island was a perfect setting to rekindle a romance from so long ago.

The main characters were very interesting and likable. What I like most about this story is the community. The willingness to help others and the unquestionable loyalty to friends and family.

I am not sure if at the age of 14 we would meet the one and only, and most of all if we would recognise that!

Overall it was a
Pam Stack
Aug 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Susan Donovan's Bayberry Island series is a heart-warming, sweet look at friendships, family and the legend of the Mermaid. The novels are centered around the Flynn family and they are an interesting lot.

I adore this book - easy to read but completely engaging, and I find myself wishing I could spent a week on Bayberry Island. I can't wait for the third book in this lovely romantic series. No wonder Susan Donovan is an award-winning author.
Petie McCarty
Nov 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Listened to this as an unabridged audio. Have never read a Donovan novel but I LOVED this one. At the beginning wasn't sure about a hero named Clancy, but she managed to turn this one into a hunk. The book had emotion, suspense and humor. Plotting, pacing and dialogue was great. Thoroughly enjoyed this audio and it went straight to the "to be listened to again" shelf. The narrator did an admirable job as well.
Yaritza
Nov 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An amazing continuation to Bayberry Island. I loved that this book was very thrilling and had my heart jumping thinking that Evelyn was going to get caught after kidnapping her niece. The mermaid was able to get two love birds back together after 18 years. Love truly moves mountains. Clancy sheltered Evelyn and Christina while knowing that if he got caught he was getting arrested too. I was happy that the story ended in a happily ever after.
Readaholic
Jan 07, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance
I couldn't even finish reading this book. After reading Knock Me Off My Feet & Take a Chance on Me years ago, I was always on the lookout for new books by this author. Unfortunately this book did not do it for me. It was so slow and the suspense did not hold my interest. Where are the love scenes? The chemistry between the hero/heroine?? Not sure if I'll read the next one in this series
D Nichols
Another great book. Sure didn't take long to read it either. I've already started the third book. Just can't seem to put them down. Don't know what I'll do when I finish the third book - there aren't any more in the series.
Rachael
Aug 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book through First-Reads.

I really enjoyed The Sweetest Summer. This was the first book that I read by Susan Donovan and I will definitely be reading more. I loved the small town setting and the mermaid festival traditions.
Pidabean
Aug 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: signed-books
I really enjoyed this book, I finished it in about 5 hours. I wish I could go to the Mermaid Festival to be a part of the fun. If you haven't read Susan Donovan this series is a great start. Great summer read!
Cindy
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Book 2 of Bayberry Island, this one besides love has a bit of mystery to it. I love books that are part of a series and the characters continue from one book to the next
  • Wildflower Wedding (Cricket Creek #6)
  • The Forbidden Alpha (Shifters of Cartwell, #2)
  • Alpha's Submission (Irresistible Omegas, #2)
  • In Love Again (Unruly Royals, #3)
  • Will & Patrick's Endless Honeymoon (Wake Up Married, #7)
  • Alpha Deceived (Waking the Dragons #3)
  • Damage Control (North Shore Stories, #1)
  • The Heart of the Witch
  • Perfect Together (Serendipity's Finest, #3)
  • Going for the Goal (The Perfect Play #3)
  • The Hidden Life
  • Set the Night on Fire (Cottonbloom, #6)
  • The Small Print
  • Falling Sweetly (Starling Falls, #2)
  • Stud for Hire (Stripped Down #1)
  • Boy Next Door (Hot Off the Ice, #5)
  • Semper Fi (The Education of..., #3)
  • Mine Under the Mistletoe
SUSAN DONOVAN's novels have won accolades for being witty, sexy, and entertaining. A former newspaper reporter with journalism degrees from Northwestern University, Susan is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author whose novels have been translated into dozens of languages. Susan is a two-time RITA Award finalist, and her novel TAKE A CHANCE ON ME was named Best Contemporary Romance of 20 ...more

Bayberry Island (5 books)
  • A Seaside Christmas (Bayberry Island, 0.5)
  • Sea of Love (Bayberry Island, #1)
  • Moondance Beach (Bayberry Island, #3)
  • A Bayberry Christmas: A Bayberry Island Holiday e-Novella (The Bayberry Island Series Book 5)