Start by marking “The Book of Bad Things” as Want to Read:
The Book of Bad Things

The Book of Bad Things

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  560 ratings  ·  79 reviews
One kid's trash is another kid's terror in this spooky supernatural mystery.

When Cassidy Bean leaves New York to spend the summer upstate, she's disappointed to find that Whitechapel is not the quiet, pleasant suburb she remembers. Ursula Chambers, the strange old hermit at the end of the cul-de-sac, has passed away under mysterious circumstances. And the townspeople are s
Published August 26th 2014 by Scholastic Press

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of The Book of Bad Things
Dana Decker
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was such a fun book. I love a good creepy middle grade book. This follows a girl who writes down anything bad or scary in a journal so she can learn to cope with her fears and anxiety.Can her fears end up saving her and her friends ? Who knows... Short and fun. Definitely worth your time and space on your shelf. I want to read the rest of his work now. So much fun.
Jarrett
Oct 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Very good book showing that sometimes bad things can be good
Nick Pes
This book follows the story of 12-year-old girl Cassidy and her adventures in Whitechapel, New Jersey. However, the town starts to have peculiar, supernatural activities. After her neighbor Ursula dies, bodies start dying, and worst of all, they're missing. People start seeing Ursula's ghost. The terror continues.

This book was very well-written and as an author Dan has met up to his expectations. I would recommend this book for 5-6th graders.
☼Book her,   Danno☼
I finished THE BOOK OF BAD THINGS last night, and if you have a Middle-grader that likes spooky stories, this would be a good choice.

It's a Scholastic book, and I have to say that via Netgalley I've been reading more of their spooky stories for Middle-graders and Young Adults and they're very well done. They might not be for all adults, but I find that I have no trouble enjoying them.

THE BOOK OF BAD THINGS has a female protagonist with male and female friends of all ages -- Zero love story (hu
TJ

THE REVIEW

Why this book?

The cover grabbed me

What I thought

I really liked this book. It kept me at the edge of my seat. I couldn't wait to see what happened next. I read it one setting.It's equal parts mysterious and creepy filled with zombies and ghosts. I just wish I read this when I was younger it really would of creeped me out. I still enjoyed the creep factor though. Overall an enjoyable read.
Chelsea Hagen
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. I liked it's short chapters, making it easier to read. The story kept you interested right to the very end. I liked character Cassie because she was in a foster home and had experienced tragedy.
Pewdiepie
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-school, horror
Quarter 1: Book review
"The Book of Bad Things" follows Cassidy Bean and her friends Joey, Ping, and Hal as they get to the root of strange things happening in the town of Whitechapel.

I've read some of Dan Poblocki's books in the past, and all of them were excellent. I read this book with high expectations, and they were definitely met. It had no love story, a unique story, and most of all, it was actually creepy. It had me laying in bed thinking about what was happening, and what would happen ne
Davis Finch
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The main Character is Cassidy, she is a kind girl that writes all of her scary things into a little journal. She lives with a not so loving mother, so every summer she goes to White Chapel to stay wither her friends, they are basically family to her. But this summer was different, Joey her friend was acting different. Joey would not talk to Cassidy at all, and shut her away. Weird things start happening, and Cassidy tries to figure it out. The neighborhood hoarder, Mrs. Chambers has died.

People
Liesl Miller
Jonah Sawallish
Oct 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Choice book #2 quarter 1
The book of bad Things by Dan Poblocki
The story follows Cassidy Bean who lives in new York city has been coming to Whitechapel a suburban town for the past 2 summers.But it is not the same as she remembers her host brother is acting odd and the old hermit Ursula chambers has died and is not happy with the people who took her stuff.Cassidy must save the town before it's to late.This was an okay but content wise it's not the best "Thriller" if your looking for one.
Gianna
Jul 10, 2020 rated it liked it
It's definitely more like a 3 and a half, that just wasn't an option! I really liked it, but it was a little under the level of reading I usually do. It wasn't as scary as some of his other books. I am used to getting chills with his old books, and I missed that with this one. Overall it was pretty good, and if you are younger and want to read something horror/suspenseful then this is a great option!
Lisa
Mar 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Cassidy has a notebook that she writes about everything that scares her. It helps with her anxiety. When she visits friends in a quiet suburb; Cassidy and her friends find out that the dead are restless and the entire town is in danger. Part zombie thriller and part vortex thriller, the story has interesting twists and turns.
Jen Bojkov
Good Stephen-King-lite for upper-elementary readers or maybe even younger MS readers. Short chapters interspersed with journal entries about supernatural phenomena make for a fast-paced and engaging read for reluctant readers- as long as they are looking for a spooky book.
24ahuberclyde.K12.Oh.Us
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
this was a really good book and i enjoyed it. This book gives me like a chill down my spine and its an amazing feel to have. i watch horror movies and i've never had this happen to me. thank you so much for this amazing book to have to read.
Amy Holland
He told me to write down what scared me. He said putting it all on paper would help me sort it out in my head ... I guess putting my thoughts, my fears into sentences helps me find … order in the world.
Stefan
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
So long ago I don't think I can give a fair, in-depth review. I love Poblocki as a suspense writer for younger readers, and I would recommend it to them.
Kathleen
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well written... a great read for Halloween!
Teresa
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great mystery and horror story. Love his books!
Manasvi
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An amazing book which brings out the aspects of friendship and teaches us a way to fight our own demons.
Sarah ➖Goddess of Mischief➖
This seemed a lot more juvenile than his other books
Yuiko
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Sorta getting bored of it after 60 pages and nothing really happening not to thrilled with it. I should be interesting after page 1 not half to wait this long.
Richard Willsea
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: creepy
creepy! But better than lovecraft.
Wesley K.
Jan 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wes Kane
3rd and 4th period
Mrs. Toney
SUMMARY: The book starts out with Cassidy Bean on the bus explaining her book of bad things. She says it’s her safe keeping. She writes down what she is afraid of in it. Then she says that she is going to the Tremonts house. She says it’s for a summer camp type thing. She says that this is her last year because next year she’ll be too old. She says they live in a housing edition.
When she gets there she notices that something is wrong with her best friend at th
Kennedy
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: crappy-pastas
This book was ok, like I say with all of this authors books this wasn't really a horror book it's just scary for the characters not the reader. This book was also hard to get into, it was kinda boring. I was very disappointed.
zapkode
{My Thoughts} – Cassidy is a sweet twelve year-old girl that has been through a bad experience in her past. She has a neighbor that so nicely saved her from that bad experience and since had given her a notebook to right down all the things that scare her. She carries that notebook with her everywhere.

When this book begins she is going to Whitechapel to live with a host family for the summer. She had been there before and she is friends with their son Joey. Her first few days there she learns Jo
Ms. Yingling
Mar 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Cassidy loves spending the summer in a community away from the city, in a stable family, with a friend, Joey, to play with. She's back again, but this time, it's a last minute arrangement, and her host family forgets to pick her up. She does run into the nice Hal, who helps, but she knows that things are not going to be the way they were. Last summer, Joey's dog died after choking on a piece of blanket that he pulled out of the basement of Ursula Chambers' house, and Joey blames Cassidy and hasn ...more
Amanda Harris
Sep 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Cassidy, a soon to be teenager, lives in New York City with her mother Naomi, who most of the time is a no show in her life. Every summer Cassidy visits Whitechapel, New Jersey to stay with her "host family". Last summer wasn't very successful. Joey, the son of Rose and Dennis (the host parents), and Cassidy's friend, was devastated by the death of his prized pet, Lucky. Now that she is back, Joey hasn't really given her a warm greeting. It seems like this summer will be another total disaster. ...more
Alyssa (Books Take You Places)
Apr 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Originally reviewed at Books Take You Places

Cassidy was a wonderful main character, it was easy to love her and I can’t tell you how much I adore how real Dan Poblocki’s characters feel. Cassidy certainly doesn’t have it easy in New York, and I really felt for her and the way that she needs this escape to Joey’s house and family. Joey is dealing with some issues of his own, most importantly the loss of his dog, and the belief that his neighbor Ursula Chambers isn’t all that she seems. Joey’s nex
Paula
Nov 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
Soon-to-be-teen Cassidy is set to spend her second summer away from the noise and congestion of NYC with the Tremont family of Whitechapel, New Jersey. The trip is part of a program that sends at-risk urban youth to the suburbs to stay with a sponsor family. Upon her arrival, she discovers that all is not well in the community. For starters, Joey, the son who is her own age, is distant and somber. Cassidy thinks this is because he holds her responsible for his dog’s death last summer. She is als ...more
Sinai C.
Jun 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have read all of Poblocki's horror books save one, The Haunting of Gabriel Ashe, and this book is easily my second favorite (my all-time favorite being The Ghost of Graylock). Why did I like it so much? Well, I was really sort of worried for the characters almost the entire time. And it was actually a very mature book--with characters dying in violent ways, scary zombies, five-pointed stars, etc. etc. I love how Poblocki includes teenagers in his book; not just 12 and 13 year olds, but 17 and ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Deep and Dark and Dangerous (A Ghost Story)
  • Took: A Ghost Story
  • The Wells Bequest (The Grimm Legacy, #2)
  • One Came Home
  • The Grimm Legacy (The Grimm Legacy, #1)
  • Atlantia
  • Black Beauty (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Reluctant Assassin (W.A.R.P., #1)
  • The Eighth Day (Eighth Day, #1)
  • The Last Dragonslayer (The Last Dragonslayer, #1)
  • Colin Fischer
  • The Collector
  • Jingle Bells, Batman Smells! (P.S. So Does May.) (Junie B. Jones, #25)
  • Blood Will Tell (Point Last Seen, #2)
  • Best Friend Next Door
  • Ask My Mood Ring How I Feel
  • A Blind Guide to Stinkville
  • Bread and Roses, Too
Author of The Stone Child, The Nightmarys, The Ghost of Graylock, and the Mysterious Four series,The Haunting of Gabriel Ashe, and The Book of Bad Things.