Start by marking “The Cat, the Dog, Little Red, the Exploding Eggs, the Wolf, and Grandma” as Want to Read:
The Cat, the Dog, Little Red, the Exploding Eggs, the Wolf, and Grandma

The Cat, the Dog, Little Red, the Exploding Eggs, the Wolf, and Grandma

A comical twist on "Little Red Riding Hood" told by Cat and Dog!

Cat starts reading "Little Red Riding Hood" and explains, "It's a story about a little girl who always wears a red cape with a hood."

Dog says, "COOL! I love stories about superheroes. What's her special power?"

Cat says, "She doesn't have any special powers. It's not that kind of a story."

And then the fun
Published August 26th 2014 by Scholastic Press

Start your review of The Cat, the Dog, Little Red, the Exploding Eggs, the Wolf, and Grandma
Jim Hill
Aug 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Funny, funny, funny, subversive picture book using meta fictional techniques to retell the story of Little Red Riding Hood. After I laughed out loud the third time, I figured I ought to buy it.

If you liked Interrupting Chicken, Chloe and the Lion, or Goldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs this is a book for you.
Becky
Jul 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014reviews

The Cat, The Dog, Little Red, the Exploding Eggs, The Wolf, and Grandma celebrates storytelling. To be precise, this book celebrates interruptions at story time. The cat is trying very, very hard to tell the story of Little Red Riding Hood to the dog. By the end, this cat is VERY frustrated. The dog, you might say, has trouble focusing his attention on the actual story. Dog imagines the story a bit differently. For one, he gets the wrong impression from the very beginning. The dog hears about
Elizabeth S
Jun 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Funny, but not that great as a read aloud for young preschoolers. Too many words and too few pictures.
Robin
Sep 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Better than some novels I've read lately. A snarky hoot of a picture book.
Magpie67
Oh. My. Word. Brilliant look at the story of Little Red Riding Hood as told between two children or... Cat and Dog. Hilarious views with a twisted outcome. Dog's synopsis is the best part of the book and I loved it all... right to the last page, the last question.

Is Grandma still in the closet? Snort, Teehee, giggle.....

This is what books should be full of, humor and plots and imagination. There are classics and then there is the new stuff being written. Whatever it takes to show a child that
Heidi-Marie
A fun twist to read the Little Red Riding Hood story. I think school-age will enjoy the dog's comments and the sarcasm in the book. We'll see if the preschool kids get it all. I think they'll still laugh.

2/3/16 Used in E is for... theme. I was right, there were some things the kids didn't quite get, though I tried to ask a few times to get them more in to it. The adults loved it, and overall the kids were attentive and smiled.

2/25/16 Used at an elementary school's Literacy Night in my "guest
Kim
Jun 29, 2014 rated it liked it
I received this book as a free giveaway from Scholastic and the Goodreads Giveaway! Always excited to hear I won the giveaway and more than happy to read and do a summary of my thoughts on the book.
I entertain children a lot so getting a children's book was awesome. This book was quite fun and the ending was not what I expected so it was extra special as a twist to the usual "Little Red Riding Hood" story. I probably wouldn't read it to a very young child, but an older toddler would find it
Blanco Meyers
Apr 04, 2015 rated it did not like it
"The Monster at the End of This Book" is one of my favorite books,so it is not that don't like meta fictional books or books that break the 4th wall; I just haven't read any recently that appeal to me.

"The Monster..." builds suspense with each turn of the page despite Grover's pleas.
Another reviewer came up with a good description of "The Cat, The Dog, Little Red..." as interrupting dog.
I found this book annoying.
Michele
Jan 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fun and irreverent retelling of Little Red Riding Hood. Primarily it consists of one character telling the story we all know and the other questioning every aspect of the story all along the way. Pictures are line drawings, but I really enjoyed this book. I cannot wait to read it aloud along side Little Red Riding Hood.
Jillian Heise
Hilarious and so smart! Another breaking the 4th wall type book to pair with Battle Bunny and A Perfectly Messed-Up Story. Had me literally laughing out loud in the bookstore. Can't wait to share with students!
Brenda Maier
Jul 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I actually just reread this book. Twice. It is laugh-out-loud-funny! Especially fun is the interaction between the two very different main characters that reminded me of bickering siblings.
Carrie Gelson
Hilarious. This one is going to haunt me until I am able to read it aloud - such a craving! Funny, funny, funny - kind of like having a backseat driver "helping" tell a story. Most clever.
Taylor Hartman
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Copyright: 2014
Number of pages: 32
Book format: print
Reading level: 1-5; GR level M
Genre: fiction
Lit requirement: postmodern picture book

As told by a cat and a dog, the story of Little Red Riding Hood is more different than ever before. The cat is trying to tell the dog the story of Little Red, but the dog keeps interrupting to guess what happens in the story. To find out how it happens, you'll have to read the book.

I gave this story five stars because it was goofy, and you never know what the
Gretchen
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classroom-use
Books like this are so wonderful to gain the attention of students, have fun, and teach wonderful things about reading and writing. The two characters in this book speak directly to the reader and at the same time give us the idea that we are eavesdropping on a private conversation. This book takes a story we know, Little Red Riding Hood, and uses it to share how ideas can come together or go in vastly different directions. This is another wonderful mentor text and one that should be shared in ...more
Amy
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A cheeky retelling of Little Red riding Hood with commentary by dog and cat. Dog has hard time believing that a girl with a cape does not have superpowers and cat just wants to tell dog her favorite story but keeps getting sidetracked by his silly (but sometimes sensible) questions: Why doesnt the wolf just eat red right away? Are there exploding eggs? Children (an adults) familiar with the classic story will love the jokes right through the end papers. Black and white main characters with ...more
Kelsey
Age: Kindergarten-2nd grade

Cat starts to tell Dog the story of Little Red Riding Hood but Dog cannot stop asking questions and poking holes in the logic of the story. Cat is annoyed but continues to read on with relish and animation. Although there is a slight transphobic jab ("He likes to dress up in girls' clothes?") the mockery of Little Red will most definitely have older kids rolling on the floor.
Linda
Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One could call this also A Perfectly Messed Up Story, but not because someone dropped jelly on the pages. Its because Dog keep interrupting Cat, who is trying hard to tell the story of Little Red Riding Hood. The interrupting fun finally ends, as does the story! This was too tongue-in-cheek for my five year old granddaughter, who also didnt know the story. I think I might even use it for a mentor text with my middle school students who may want to try a fractured fairy tale. ...more
Kellee Moye
Review at: http://www.unleashingreaders.com/?p=5603

This book is hilarious!
Cat is reading "Little Red Riding Hood" to her friend, Dog, but he keeps interrupting asking questions that Cat is not prepared, or doesn't want, to answer. Dog is such a funny character! I am sure we all have friends or students or kids that do exactly what Dog does to Cat.
I really hope that Diane and Christyan Fox write more Cat & Dog stories because I'd love to hear their take on other fairy tales!
Mary Lee
Aug 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelve this book with INTERRUPTING CHICKEN. Cat can't get very far with her reading of Little Red Riding Hood before Dog interrupts with some assumptions and questions. First of all, he hears "cape" and goes immediately to super powers. Then, he wonders (reasonably) why the wolf doesn't just eat Little Red right there in the woods. And so on.

Fun stuff from the beginning endpapers to the end endpapers.
Maggie Mattmiller
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
Some kids might find this one funny... Some might feel it's too choppy, or will be annoyed. Some might take this as permission to interrupt books while they are listening to a story! (Time and a place, I know. Sometimes books are a conversation, sometimes they just need to be story time...)

Cute. I think I'd have to be in the mood for this one.
emyrose8
Aug 01, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5- The cat is reading the story of Little Red Riding Hood to the dog, and he just doesn't get it, which is, of course, hilarious.

For some reason, I was expecting something different than what the story actually was (I thought it would be a totally different story, not two animals reading a story).
Angie
This is a story I could read again and again. It is very creative and funny. I love how frustrated the cat gets every time the dog interrupts. And the dog is perfectly correct when he says it is a gruesome story and wonders about it being a kid's book. Sparse illustrations really highlight the power of the story.
Kaelin Miller
This book was hilarious. I loved the humor of the author. It is a hysterical version of Little Red Riding Hood. The dog especially cracked me up constantly interrupting the cat's story and coming up with crazy details of the story. I liked how the wolf didn't eat the grandmother like in other versions. It's great!
Beth
Jan 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
You know just by the title this is going to be hilarious! Cats reading the classic fairytale and Dog has some zany ideas about how to spice things up (exploding eggs, anyone?). Dog does ask some good questions about the story, though if you want to introduce your kids to thinking critically about a book, this is a fun place to start. ...more
Lara Lamb
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is just about as clever as it gets. While it does tell the story of Red Riding Hood it does so in such a unique way that it can be very relatable to the audience. By including a questioning dog (i.e. children) and a wise cat (i.e. adults) we can get a clear picture of what it's really like to read stories to children.
Darby
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is such a fun story! The interaction between the cat and the dog is priceless. I enjoy reading this to younger grades, because they are famous for interrupting stories in the same manner as the dog. But I really love to read it to my older students as they are better able to appreciate the humor.
Mary Ann
Children who know the Little Red Riding Hood tale will love this humorous twist on the story, with a bossy cat and an animated puppy arguing their way through a retelling of the classic folktale. Puppy thinks Little Red should be a superhero, with her red cape, but cat sets him straight. Great to read aloud, especially with two voices arguing back and forth.
Viviane Elbee
This is the story of Little Red Riding hood, but the narrators (a cat and dog, who can't stop making comments) are hysterically funny. Kids laughed and laughed and laughed their way through the book.
Slightly older children (older preschoolers & elementary students) would probably get these jokes better than younger children.
Chad Freeman
Jul 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: funny-books
This fantastic "retelling" of the classic Red Riding Hood is spot on. This is almost what it sounds like when I read my kids a story. They like to add their own little bits and constantly ask questions, so this really hit home for me. Oh yeah...my kids liked it too. :)

(Received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads)
Cheryl
May 14, 2017 rated it liked it
See, I told you that even children can be cynical and questioning. Authors, kids deserve your very smartest work! Unfortunately, this book succeeds only in delivering that message and being mildly humorous. There are other fractured fairy tales that are funnier and meatier than this slight gimmick.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Hair Love
  • Because
  • The Serious Goose
  • Who Wet My Pants?
  • The Three Little Wolves and the Big Bad Pig
  • Interrupting Chicken and the Elephant of Surprise
  • Hotel Bruce (Mother Bruce series, Book 2)
  • Sam and Dave Dig a Hole
  • XO, OX: A Love Story
  • The Wall in the Middle of the Book
  • Guess Again!
  • I Got a Chicken for My Birthday
  • 17 Things I'm Not Allowed to Do Anymore
  • How I Met My Monster (I Need My Monster)
  • I Ain't Gonna Paint No More!
  • The Panda Problem
  • They All Saw A Cat
  • Be Quiet!

News & Interviews

With clever detectives, missing jewels, murderous women, daring spies, and more, mysteries and thrillers deliver page-turning delight with ever...