Start by marking “Farmer Giles Of Ham” as Want to Read:
Farmer Giles Of Ham

Farmer Giles Of Ham

Farmer Giles of Ham is a light-hearted satire for readers of all ages that tells the tale of a reluctant hero who must save his village from a dragon. It is a small gem of a tale that grows more delightful with each rereading.
Published February 27th 2014 by HarperCollins (first published 1949)

Bookdragon Sean
This is a great little tale full of bravery, heroism and Tolkien’s ever so subtle humour.

Farmer Giles saves his farm and, as a consequence, the local village from a rampaging giant. This earns him a fierce reputation for heroism; thus, he is rewarded by the King with a rather glamourous sword. The King, believing this to be a mere ceremonial weapon, parts with the blade gladly. It turns out that the sword is actually Tailbiter, an ancient weapon that carries a powerful enchantment. Indeed, it c
Cindy Rollins
My husband Tim and I listened to this on our trip home from visiting my parents. We have both read this aloud to our children, read it privately and listened to it with Derek Jacobi on audio many, many times. Never gets old. We still laugh at the jokes which are now just plain old friends and we often call our dog Garm.

A true 5-Star book with an exceptional audio narration by Derek Jacobi.
Tijana
Zapravo je ovo, a ne Hobit ili Gospodar prstenova, knjiga kakvu bih očekivala od profesora koji na Oksfordu predaje anglosaksonski: da svoju priču o farmeru koji mora da izađe na kraj sa divovima, zmajevima i kraljevima malo pastišira a malo parodira, da samu sebe ne shvata ozbiljno i da utrpava filološke forice koje će biti smešne drugim oksfordskim profesorima sem ako nisu na njihov račun.
A ako vam se desi da na osnovu mutnih uspomena o tome kako u knjizi ima otresitih seljaka i ne mnogo opasn
Jim
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Farmer Giles of Ham is a short story from the master of fantasy fiction J.R.R.Tolkien. Although the story is about a hero and contains giants, dragons and talking dogs,(actually it is just one dog) it is not an epic tale full with action. Don’t worry tho, because although it will not amaze you with great battles, it will put a smile on your face with great humour

One nice night a giant went for a walk. He was out for a while and got lost, he was also very hungry. He started to walk faster trying
Bettie☯
Aug 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hardback
Bought with the same Christmas book voucher as The Adventures of Tom Bombadil and Smith of Wootton Major. My copy is an extremely shabby piece of bookage now.
George K.
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Τελευταία φορά που διάβασα βιβλίο του Τζ. Ρ. Ρ. Τόλκιν ήταν τον Νοέμβριο του 2012 ("Χόμπιτ") και δεν μπορείτε να φανταστείτε πόσο μου έλειψε. Φυσικά το "Ο αγρότης ο Τζάιλς απ'το χωριό" είναι κάτι το εντελώς διαφορετικό σε σχέση με τα υπόλοιπα βιβλία του συγγραφέα που έχω διαβάσει, όμως και πάλι μπορώ να πω ότι πέρασα ωραία. Πρόκειται για μια ιδιαίτερα καλογραμμένη και όμορφη νουβέλα, σαν ένα παραμύθι για μικρούς και μεγάλους, στο οποίο παρελαύνουν ιππότες, δράκοι, γίγαντες κλπ. Μην περιμένετε επ ...more
Anna [Floanne]
Giganti maldestri, un drago sputafuoco, una spada magica, un astuto fattore, un re sprovveduto, un cane parlante, una simpatica giumenta grigia e un inestimabile tesoro: ecco gli ingredienti mescolati magistralmente da Tolkien in questa bella fiaba per bambini. Il tutto condito da quel pizzico di humor che fa sorridere ma non eccede mai. Posso solo immaginarmi i figli di Tolkien seduti accanto a lui, mentre racconta loro le imprese del Fattore Giles! Io lo leggerò ai i miei, perché è un racconto ...more
Tim Mercer
Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars. Thought I would reread this as when I looked up a Tolkein books for the Pageopoly Challenge I couldn't really remember it. Really enjoyed this short story. Farmer Giles is not a pleasant person but much nicer than the other characters so you eventually gravitate to him as he becomes reasonable over time. This is an easy read and a bit of fun for a change of pace. It was charming how the farmers dog and mare got to speak their thoughts on matters and the three of them make the story.

PS
R.
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic, comedy, fantasy
Delightful. It has a much more light-hearted tone than The Hobbit or LOTR; I was laughing practically the whole time. It’s not connected with Middle-earth, but I guess it does have some magic since Garn (the dog) can talk (the most common words being “Help! Help!”) and Tailbiter jumps out of its sheath when a dragon is a couple miles away. Good for all ages!
Sinn
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tolkiens Fähigkeit breite, epische Geschichten zu schreiben (zumindest, was den Herrn der Ringe anbelangt) ist ja allgemein bekannt. In vielerlei Hinsicht sieht er fast schon wie der Schöpfer des Genres aus, ist seine Trilogie doch Vorlage für eine schier endlose Menge an Werken geworden. Allenfalls weiß man noch über "Der Hobbit" bescheid - schließlich gibt es dazu auch eine Verfilmung.

Aber dass nebenbei noch ein ganzes Universum an Ideen von ihm die Genesis seiner Welten betreffend verarbeitet
Pinkerton
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Non nascondo di essere rimasto un po’ deluso dal Professore questa volta. Anzitutto mi ha spiazzato il fatto che si trattasse di una fiaba per bambini, e non c’è nemmeno alcun legame con la Terra di Mezzo, quindi già di base le premesse non erano le migliori. La storia è quella di, un fortunato più che coraggioso, Ægidius Ahenobarbus Julius Agricola de Hammo che fa una gran carriera grazie alla buona sorte e al cane Garm (non troppo benvoluto ^^’) che lo sprona all’abbisogna. Inizia affrontando ...more
E.F.B.
This was a fun little story. The human characters reminded me very much of hobbits and I loved the talking dog and the whole storyline with the giants and dragons. The overall tone was funny and it was a very light and enjoyable read that I’m sure I’ll return to again and again. Since I listened to it on audio, I'll also note that Derek Jacobi's narration was excellent as always. I especially loved the voice he did for the dragon. XD
Mec
Nov 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fiaba breve, perfetta se si hanno un paio d'ore libere in attesa di.
Una divertita ironia la pervade e, con la sua critica al potere costituito, è meno banale di quanto non sembri. Deliziose le finte illustrazioni medievali.
Marianne Søiland
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Herlig historie fra Tolkien dette. Småmorsom bonde skremmer tilfeldigvis bort en drage, får et sverd og blir en helt. Har ingenting å gjøre med verken Hobbiten eller LotR, men like fengende å lytte til.
Silas Barbosa
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: j-r-r-tolkien
Gostei bastante do mestre Gil, o personagem simples e sortudo que me lembrou bastante o Bilbo bolseiro.
O livro seria muito melhor se Tolkien tivesse terminando, pois seu filho apesar de seguir com o manuscrito não pode continuar a história que foi planejada na cabeça do grande autor!
Arsnoctis
Un racconto classico che fa della prosa di Tolkien il suo valore aggiunto. Si tratta di una vicenda tradizionale che coinvolge un drago sputafuoco e l'umano che tenterà di batterlo in astuzia.
Si presta alla lettura ad alta voce, anche se letto ad un pubblico piuttosto giovane.
Dovessi mettere insieme una piccola biblioteca per giovani lettori, non potrei non includervi questo titolo. [★★★☆ 3.5]

diegomarcapaginas
Nov 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un cuento ilustrado sobre un granjero y un dragón que me ha hecho recordar a esas viejas historias de cuando era niño. Contiene la magia y la esencia de Tolkien y ya sólo por eso merece la pena ser leido. http://elmarcapaginas-loco.blogspot.c...
Rudy Rallis
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Μια μικρή, όμορφη ιστορία! Και για μικρά και για μεγάλα παιδιά! Μεγαλειώδης ο τρόπος που ο Tolkien "πατάει" πάνω σε πραγματικά τοπονύμια, ώστε να μας παρουσιάσει μια μεσαιωνική ιστορία με δράκους και ιππότες! Μια ιστορία, μικρή, αλλά με πολλά πράγματα να πεί...
Marina Balinska
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love it! I had so much fun while reading it. This book is very different from everything I've read from Tolkien. I expected battles, blood, dead... like in TLOTR, but I got lots of humour and sarcasm. And I really, really liked it!
Lucas Mucelini
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Um bacamarte, era isso mesmo? Achei que fossem mutucas!
Beth
Or as the subtitle has it: "The Rise and Wonderful Adventures of Farmer Giles, Lord of Tame, Count of Worminghall and King of the Little Kingdom"

A fun adventure that turns out to be an elaborate in-joke about some English place names. This is one of my favorite novellas. It is a hoot.

Farmer Giles of the Thames Valley becomes famous for fighting a giant. The king rewards him with a sword, Caudimordax or Tailbiter, that turns out to have a magical property: it cannot be sheathed when within five
David
Jul 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
WARNING: Oh, that's kind of disappointing. This book is really, really tiny. I was expecting it to be the same as its look-a-like edition from the 1970s. This measures about 3.5" x 4.5" by eyeball. Much less than half the size of the original first edition with the same wonderful artwork. Sad Tolkien fan :(
Védís
Nov 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Drekar, tröll, töfrasverð - fantasía fyrir unga lesendur! Krúttleg barnabók sem er eins og "light" útgáfa af Hobbitanum og The Lord of the Rings. Mæli með að foreldrar lesi þessa með börnunum sínum. :)
Αλίκη
Βραβείο καλύτερου μικρού βιβλίου 2012 από το aliceinbookworld

Bella (Bella's Wonderworld)
Rezension | Bauer Giles von Ham von J. R. R. Tolkien Beschreibung

Bauer Giles lebt in Ham und ist mit seiner rundlichen Figur das bequeme Leben gewöhnt. Doch als eines Tages ein Riese auf seinen Feldern herumtrampelt, nimmt Bauer Giles all seinen Mut zusammen und vertreibt das zerstörerische Monster. Schnell verbreitet sich die Kunde über die ruhmreiche Tat des Bauers Giles im ganzen Land, so dass sogar der König davon erfährt und ihm als Geschenk ein Schwert zusendet.

Schon bald sucht ein Drach
Mira
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such a charming little tale!

Tolkien once said that he wrote his legendarium in an effort to create a British mythology, but honestly, none of his major works like the Lord of the Rings, the Hobbit or even the Silmarillion (my personal favourite!) ever really managed that like Farmer Giles of Ham.

It's a rustic, rural, and simple story of a rustic, rural and simple folk. The Middle Kingdom, with its talking dogs, reasoning mares and the dragons and giants who are slowly fading into legend,
Elena Santangelo
This is a short book of short stories by the author of The Hobbit. I listened to the audio version, read by actor Derek Jacobi.

The first story, Farmer Giles was by far the best one--a delightful fairy tale with giants and dragons and an unlikely hero. Jacobi's reading was perfection in entertainment: interesting voices for each character but also the inflection of every word exactly right, with no dropped endings or rushed phrases as many narrators do while reading.

The other two stories weren't
Angie
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun little story from Tolkien. It tells the tale of Farmer Giles who accidentally becomes a hero of the land when he "defeats" a giant (really, he just fires his gun near him, causing enough annoyance that the giant up and leaves). This little incident gives him an undeserved reputation for courage and a brand new sword from the king. When a dragon shows up, Farmer Giles is called to defeat it and save the kingdom.

What follows is silly fun. If you've read Tolkien before, you're proba
Mehmet Ali Yıldırım
Başkasından alıp okuyupta bende olmadığı ve basımı da güzel olduğu için alıp tekrardan okudum.
Gerçek tarihi ve dildeki değişimleri de yoğurarak ingiltereye tarihsel mitler ve efsaneler kazandırma amacıyla yazılmış yetişkinlere de uygun çocuk kitabı. En azıdan yetişkinler de hikayeyi(her ne kadar gerçek tarihsel öğelere göndermelerden oluşsa da) sevmese bile okurken satır aralarını ve ustalığı fark ederken keyif alabilir.
Merry
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-read
This is an entertaining, charming tale about a dragon, a dog, a grey mare, an incompetent king, and an unlikely hero. It's also a giant linguist and medievalist in-joke.

That said, the story itself isn’t very deep and none of the characters are nearly as well-developed as those in The Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit – it’s more like Roverandom than either of those two – but it’s a fun read nonetheless. It’s also very tongue-in-cheek and definitely showcases Tolkien’s subtle humour – and his love
  • The History of the Hobbit, Part Two: Return to Bag-End
  • The Guardians
  • La leggenda di Earthsea
  • The Art of The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
  • Tempesta di spade (Le Cronache del Ghiaccio e del Fuoco, #5)
  • Sir Gawain and the Green Knight
  • Journeys of Frodo: An Atlas of J.R.R.Tolkien's "The Lord of the Rings"
  • The Gospel According to Tolkien: Visions of the Kingdom in Middle-Earth
  • The Gratitude of Kings (Thieves' World / Lythonde)
  • Mere Humanity: G.K. Chesterton, C.S. Lewis, and J. R. R. Tolkien on the Human Condition
  • The Ring of Words: Tolkien and the Oxford English Dictionary
  • A Gateway to Sindarin: A Grammar of an Elvish Language from JRR Tolkien's Lord of the Rings
  • Tolkien: A Biography
  • The Whisper of Glocken (The Minnipins, #2)
  • The High House (Evenmere #1)
  • The Wise Woman and Other Stories
  • Kestrel's Midnight Song
  • The Book of Wonder
John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, CBE was an English writer, poet, WWI veteran (a First Lieutenant in the Lancashire Fusiliers, British Army), philologist, and university professor, best known as the author of the high fantasy classic works The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings .

Tolkien was Rawlinson and Bosworth Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford from 1925 to 1945, and Merton Professor of English lang
“Farmer Giles went home feeling very uncomfortable. He was finding that a local reputation may require keeping up, and that may prove awkward.” 4 likes