Start by marking “Byculla to Bangkok” as Want to Read:
Byculla to Bangkok

Byculla to Bangkok

After the huge success of Dongri to Dubai, here comes its much awaited sequel, Byculla to Bangkok. Chota Rajan, Arun Gawli and Ashwin Naik are among those whose lives Hussain Zaidi recounts with his characteristic flair for narrativizing the Mumbai underworld. Violence and deceit one expects to read of, but the strength of this book is also its ability to capture the munda ...more
Paperback, First Edition, 277 pages
Published February 12th 2014 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 2014)

Vikas Singh
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The only book that chronicles the history of Mumbai's underworld in such graphic detail. While Zaidi's other book Dongri to Dubai tackled Dawood Ibrahim and his rise, this book is about Maharashtrian Mobsters -Chota Rajan, Gawli and Rama Naik . Brilliantly researched, this is a must read for any body interested in the history and growth of Mumbai's dark underbelly.
Ashwin
Dec 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Thank god, Hussain Zaidi has improved leaps and bounds in his writing skills, unlike the prequel to this book Dongri to Dubai, which felt like it was recycling of newspaper articles. The Book traces the evolution of Maharashtarians into underworld, and how so of them have started their own political parties now. This brief,racy and concise book is must, if you have no idea about Mumbai mobsters. The recurring theme in the book is how crony capitalism and inability of police to provide justice le ...more
Srikanth
Feb 20, 2014 rated it liked it
This is the so called sequel to the book "Dongri to Dubai" by the author Zaidi.

The book starts of with a racy encounter ending in the death of a dreaded mafia guy. This book talks about the home grown Maharashtrian gangs. The main characters are Arun Gawli, Chotta Rajan & Naik, including others of some importance. It also talks about various police & political characters who have played a key role in the decimation or growth of the mafia.

I had earlier reviewed "Dongri to Dubai" & wo
Kanishka Sirdesai
Mar 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Interesting chronology of events leading to the decimation of the Mumbai underworld!
Abhisek Pandey
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: stockholm-shelf, 2018
Very poorly written and edited, so much so that it puts you off at almost every page. But the content, especially for people like me who don’t know the mumbai underworld in great details, makes it interesting and a quick read.
Raj Shukla
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Amazing book!! It describes the Mumbai mafia in the most spectacular way. There are very stupefying incidences which depicts the ferocity of the crimes that were carried out decades ago. The book describes the long lasting war between goons and drug lords with Mumbai police. A must read for those who are willing to know more about the crime developments in Mumbai.
Pooja Anand
Mar 17, 2014 rated it liked it
I read this book because I had to. I am too much into crime reading and when it is Mumbai mafia, I had to pick this book (I am too much into fact finding of mumbai mafia). But I was really disappointed from the very first chapter. The first book in this series (Dongri to Dubai) released few years back. So what does the author expect us to do, read that book again before picking this one?

Goods about this book: No doubt well researched, have all the juices to keep the reader glued.

Bads about this
Hrishikesh
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Extremely fun, captivating and nearly-impossible-to-put-down. Thoroughly enjoyed the book.

Make no mistake about it; although it has been researched in depth, it is not an academic work. But despite being a quentessential "masala" book, it also takes us back to the many security issues India faces.
Chandru
sequel to the other mafia book, equally blood chilling. how does economics and money flow affect lives of normal folks turning them into the monsters who roam the world. good read!
Virat hooda
Jul 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: indian-authors
True Wonderer

“Ganda hai par Dhanda hai yeh !” (“Its Bad(..filthy..) but it’s Business!”), this song from the movie Company, seemed to be playing all the while in the background while I was reading this book.

The Mumbai Underworld, Mumbai Mafia….. Organized crime in any part of the world, makes up for a fascinating study, (insensitive, is it? well, its true anyhow) be it the glorified Mob in America, The Cosa Nostra in Sicily, Italy ,The Yakuza in Japan, Bratva in Russia or our very own ‘aamchi mu
Nikita Narvekar
May 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Hussain Zaidi’s ‘Byculla to Bangkok — Mumbai’s Maharashtrian Mobsters’ is the much anticipated sequel to his successful book Dongri to Dubai.

Justifying the book’s tagline “Mumbai’s Maharashtrian Mobsters”, it recalls the stories of Chota Rajan, Arun Gawli, Ashwin Naik and some other mobsters.

Zaidi, with his skill of telling tales of Mumbai’s underworld captures the ordinary beginning of what later became the most organised crime syndicate and dreadful series of revenge that unleashed terror and
Prakash Shenoy
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Most great cities have criminal underbellies. London, New York, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Moscow, Istanbul—all these have nurtured notorious criminal networks. Mumbai’s underworld took shape in the 1950s and 1960s. The pioneering dons came from poor Muslim families—reflecting their socio-economic marginalisation. After the bomb blasts in 1993, the ascendancy of the Shiv Sena-led government and the rise of an elite, trigger-happy police unit, the balance of power shifted in favour of younger Maharashtria ...more
Nikhil Phafat
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Manika Tandon
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Zaidi being Zaidi never disappoints his readers, I bought the book a year but picked it off my shelf 5 days back and I must say it’s another unputdownable piece of creation by Zaidi.
The book moves away from Dawood and focuses on chota Rajan, Shakeel, Arun Gawli, Naik Brothers and ofcourse Salaskar.
Zaidi has a style of making crime so readable and so close to life that the reader is glued to the book.
Sujay Malik
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am giving it four stars because this can stand on its own footing as a great book to read. However it is also true that this pales and dilutes if compared to Dongri to Dubai. I understand that comparisons are harsh but they are imminent nonetheless.

The writing is pacy and there are numerous instances where you can't leave the book. The book focuses on how lives of gangsters other than Dawood Ibrahim panned out and it is riveting. At places it starts and ends abruptly and sometimes it becomes
Aditya
Dec 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Stories are mostly focussed on the nineties and the beginning of the 21st century. It mostly revolves around three characters, i.e. Arun Gawli, Arun Naik and Ashwin Naik.
Gives us a clear idea about the state authorities, Politicians and police and their involvements with the underworld.
Tejas Jadhav
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hussain Zaidi is back with another blockbuster. After reading his book "Dongri to Dubai", I didn't think I would read another amazing book on Mumbai mafia. This book, like his previous book, is thoroughly researched and keeps you engaged. Truly amazing!
Vishwesh Devadas
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Repetitive, but engaging.
Geet Mahajan
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting!! Must read...
Madhav
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
good read about Mumbai underworld from 70s till now, only there were so many gangsters highlighted that it was hard to keep up at times.
Khushie
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very interesting for someone who is keen to know about Mumbai Mafia.
It does, However get boring at some places but grips you at more.
Sourav
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fascinating read. The art of investigative journalism and then transformed into a superb page turner, trust Hussain Zaidi on that.

I was looking over my shoulder for a bit after reading this.
mosharaali
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's thrilling narration of the mafia world. I liked it.
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nice
Nikhil Daund
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good book on Mumbai Gangster
Amit Goda
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very good book if one wants to know the underworld of India
Animesh Mitra
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun and entertainment. Must read for every gangster genre reader.
Rohit Harip
Jul 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Bykulla to Bangkok

After the stunning success of Dongari To Dubai this is sequel of Mumbai Underworld 'Saga'(?) i.e. Bykulla to Bankok.
As mentioned earlier in the book, dongari (Musafirkhana,Pakmodia Street) was the den of Dawood Inbrahim Kaskar started his journey from Bykulla and finally settled in Dubai (now he is in karachi).
Similarly bykulla was thr den for Arun Gawali (daddy), Anil Parab,Amar Naik,Sunil Sawant ( sautya) chota rajan was exception because he hails from Chembur area which is a
Vishwanath Malyekar
Jun 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
A Worthy Sequel to the Dongri to Dubai, this work of S Hussain Zaidi, chronicles the rise of other mobsters of Mumbai underworld. While dongri to dubi dealt with the rise and rise of Dawood Ibrahim, this book narrates the stories of other mobsters such as Amar Naik, Arun Gawli, Ashwin Naik, Suresh Manchekar, Chota Rajan among others.

It chronicles the events under which the mumbai mafia rose, especially due to poor police attitude and the desparation and economic hardships faced by the mill work
Prity Malhotra
May 23, 2014 rated it did not like it
Hussain Zaidi for me is as talented a writer as a Chetan Bhagat, Amish. Tripathi or an Ashwin Sanghi..So while reading Byculla to Bangkok...I had to constantly question myself on whether this really is a H Zaidi book ? Comparing Dongri to Dubai with Byculla to Bangkok would be like comparing Chicken TAndoori to Bland boiled chicken.

Here are some of the reasons why according to me this book sinks like Titanic in to depths of disappointments:
1) H.Zaidi introduces around a million characters which
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Scoop!
  • The Meadow
  • The World of Nagaraj
  • My Country My Life
  • Eminent Historians: Their Technology, Their Line, Their Fraud
  • India's China War
  • Himalayan Blunder: The Angry Truth About India's Most Crushing Military Disaster
  • The Valley of Masks
  • Cut Like Wound
  • Complete Chanakya Neeti
  • The Jim Corbett Omnibus.
  • 31
  • Compass Box Killer (Inspector Virkar, #1)
  • Coolie
  • Bitter Fruit: The Very Best of Saadat Hasan Manto
  • A Beautiful Lie
  • A Life in Words
  • ಮರಳಿ ಮಣ್ಣಿಗೆ [Marali Mannige/Back to soil]
Hussain Zaidi is an Indian author and former investigative journalist. His works include Dongri to Dubai: Six Decades of the Mumbai Mafia, Mafia Queens of Mumbai, Black Friday, and My Name is Abu Salem.
“250,000 men and women who worked in the mills are history. Some died, some became disillusioned, others simply lost their minds. Many committed suicide, some just melted into the background, some retreated to their native villages – while others ended up hawking vegetables beneath the very structures that gave them their bread and butter.” 2 likes