Start by marking “Frankenstein's Fright Before Christmas” as Want to Read:
Frankenstein's Fright Before Christmas

Frankenstein's Fright Before Christmas

3.49  ·  Rating details ·  129 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
'Twas the night before Christmas and poor Miss Devel
Was hassled and harried and not feeling well...
Off in the distance she heard such a clatter
She sprang from her slab to see what was the matter.
Off down the stairs she flew like a flash,
Threw open the doors just in time for the...
CRASH!"

The little monsters, led once again by Frankenstein, have been busy getting ready for
Published October 14th 2014 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about Frankenstein's Fright Before Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Frankenstein's Fright Before Christmas

Amy
Feb 19, 2015 added it
Shelves: j-picture-books
Too much going on here. There are parodies of Madeline, The Night Before Christmas, and Frankenstein -- all jammed into the same book. Plus the rhymes have a choppy cadence at times, making it a challenging read-aloud. It was kind of cute that all the monsters got new heads for Christmas (I especially loved the little swamp monster guy), but it wasn't enough to save the book.
Whitney Rachel
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!

great rhythm, funny story. huzzah!

Emmy
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a fun book! In a interesting interpretation of the classic tale "The Night Before Christmas", a sleep-deprived mad scientist finds herself up to her eyeballs in cute little monster kids, who just want to enjoy the holiday fun. The art is so cute, and this book was so clever! I would love to read this to my own little monsters someday.
Dolly
Jan 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: older children who enjoy reading parodies of classic stories
"The artwork was created with Kuretake brush pens and Radiograph Ultradraw ink. It was colored with M. Graham Watercolors and Photoshop."

Shiloah
This was a quirky, and slightly odd sort of book.
Aylea
This review originally published at The Children's Book and Media Review

This books takes the traditional night before Christmas poem and adds a spooky element to it. Miss Devel is feeling harassed by her monsters’ bad manners. When the monsters finally go to bed, Miss Devel is woken up by a huge crash and a visit from Frankenstein who has brought a tree for Saint Nick. Saint Nick has brought some special present for the monsters, but when he falls through the ceiling the little monsters attack t
Carolyn
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was ok

Well that was a huge disappointment! I was hoping for some great ghoulish humour but instead this was a very weak parody of the original (then again, what can compare to Moore's classic poem?). Both the rhythm and the rhymes are off as Bemonster (aka rick Walton) fails in his attempt to tell a happy monster tale. In my mind you either do, or you don't, rather than create this vapid something-or-other that falls in between. Failing to really go for it results in a flat and empty tale(Scooby Doo i
Barbara
While Halloween might be the perfect time for a story featuring a Frankenstein monster, so is Christmas. This funny and sort of scary story describes how all the little monsters worry about missing Christmas and not getting a visit from Santa. They need not worry as this humorous book, filled with illustrations created with brush pens and ink, shows so perfectly.
Kitty
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read this one with the minions and we all enjoyed it. It was clever and cute and just the right amount of creepy. It follows the rhythm of The Night Before Christmas and gives it a bit of a twist. The story has more substance and is easier to follow than Frankenstein: A Monstrous Parody. Hoping to see Frankie return for other holidays.
Sharon Lawler
Author Ludworst Bemonster, pen name for author Rick Walton and artist Nathan Hale, is back with another monster themed parody. Bemonster's last offering, Frankenstein: A Monstrous Parody, used Halloween as the backdrop. This time around, the monsters celebrate Christmas. Love the edit of the publisher on the title pages from Feiwel and Friends to Feiwel and Fiends.
Diana
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I. Love. This. Book.

For the person who doesn't want to let go of the Halloween Spirit, Ludworst Bemonster (pen name of author Rick Walton & illustrator Nathan Hale) gives us a clever and comical twist on the classic Christmas poem, paired with lively, expressive paintings.
Rachel
Nov 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: t-l-544
Copyright: 2014
Genre: Traditional Literature
Thoughts: This cute book follows The Night Before Christmas pattern. This particular book has a twist and it includes monsters receiving new heads from Santa for Christmas. This was cute but probably not something that I would share with my class.
jacky
Dec 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Natalie is into monsters right now, so I ordered this from the Scholastic flyer without reading it first. It is okay. It parodies Madeline, which she didn't get because we've never really read it. William liked that the monsters had no heads.
Samantha
A parody of Twas the Night Before Christmas that mixes Halloween into the Christmas festivities.

Nice read aloud that met my expectations. The school-agers I shared it with had a great time "reading" the pictures for action.

PreK-2.
Alexandra Calaway
Dec 11, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
Had high hopes for this one, because I love holiday mashups, but the prose was disjointed and awkward. It was a great idea but I'm afraid the execution was poor. Also..Frankenstein is not Frankenstein's monster...pet peeve.
Melissa
Dec 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-or-teens
My kids enjoy this book, it makes them giggle. They immediately noticed the "Madeleine" like illustrations and prose. The kids had fun guessing which stocking went with which monster based on the contents. Fun idea, cute book.
Shelli
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Nightmare Before Christmas and ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas mashup. Love it! Super fun holiday or anytime book to share with your kiddos who enjoy a dark humorous read.
Olivia
Nov 21, 2015 rated it liked it
A spooky spin on the night before Christmas, this book would be good for kids who like monsters, The Nightmare Before Christmas, or are just a little bored of Christmas and miss Halloween.
Kevin Warman
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Super cute and it rhymed. I am glad the scientist was a female in this book. Girls can do great things!
Wesley
Dec 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
This 5 year old found it to be too spooky
Beverly
Nov 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
A quirky twist on the original with funny comic illustrations.
Margaret
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Love it! Very fun book.
Mara
Dec 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
cute!!!
A fun Night Before Christmas retelling. With cute monsters.
Marcie
Dec 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Like this parody more for the Madeline illustrations. As a read aloud it is more awkward than most of the other Rick Walton books that I love to read aloud.
Carrie
Dec 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A parody of Madeline and the Night Before Christmas, this silly tale is a delightfully frightful version of both classic tales.
Kerrikoala
Dec 21, 2014 rated it liked it
This didn't leave me "shrieking with laughter," but it was better than the first one.
Colleen
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
My kids really enjoyed it. Tricky for my 8yo to read and keep the "beat", so I took the lead. Cute book.
Cidney Mayes
Dec 04, 2014 rated it did not like it
An odd Christmas tale that incorrectly labels Frankenstein's Monster as "Frankenstein." Personal issue, but still. Combines elements of "Madeline" and "T'was the Night Before Christmas."
PWRL
Aug 03, 2016 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2016-new
SM
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Born and raised in Utah, Walton is a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the Mormon Church. He served as a missionary to Brazil from 1976 to 1978, soon after he graduated from high school. Later, at Brigham Young University, he became president of the Brazil Club. In 1980, he graduated from Brigham Young with a bachelor's degree in Spanish and a minor in Portuguese, the lang ...more
More about Rick Walton