Start by marking “Growing Concerns” as Want to Read:
Growing Concerns

Growing Concerns

Growing Concerns is the very first collection of its kind. In pop-culture, movies like “Little Shop of Horrors” and “Attack of the Killer Tomatoes” are quite well-known, but few tales in fiction have tapped into the latent fear of our botanical neighbors. With less than ten plant-themed stories well-known enough to be found in English (in the history of printing and web-arch ...more
Paperback, 1st, 178 pages
Published January 15th 2014 by Chupa Cabra House (first published January 11th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Growing Concerns, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Growing Concerns

Bandit
Jun 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love a good thematically linked anthology. But killer plants? Not a single author I’m familiar with? I wasn’t sure what to expect and at any rate this book exceeded any expectations I might have had. This is pretty much a how to manual of creating a good anthology. Pick an original theme. Check. Line up some incredibly impressive talent. Check. Make sure everyone sticks to the topic yet offers a new twist on the subject. (Although obviously the carnivorous plant theme can’t be avoided, but it ...more
H.M.C. H.M.C.
Mar 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
4.5 STARS

Psycho botanists, lethal Australian Alligator Weeds, swamp witches, and house-crushing vines. Growing Concerns merges my love of horror with my love of plants and gardening.

Some authors have mastered the craft of showing, and dished up a visually satisfying feast, such as Ethan Nahte in Pete's Peat. This story included the right amount of gore and will satisfy plenty of horror enthusiasts.

Jocelyn Adams's Weird Mary was refreshing and particularly quirky, in a good way.

Screamin' Sire
Sara
Jan 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
The pending release of Growing Concerns had me antsy from the get-go. An underexplored subgenre like eco-horror is bound to bring the weird out of the wallpaper, and several stories in this anthology did just that, and did it well.

Robert J. Santa's visceral horror "Of Sweet Peas and Radishes" left the hair on my forearms standing up, and that is not an easily accomplished task. His particular use of voice in this story is also enviable.

"Plot 264" by Darren Todd is smartly written and well "execu
Apr 20, 2014 rated it liked it
3.75 out of 5.0 Stars

Summary

Growing Concerns is a collection of short stories that look at the world of plants in a whole new way – a horrific ecologically inspired way. The reader is greeted with a total of eighteen different stories from a wide array of authors, including C.J. Andrew, Ken Goldman, Jocelyn Adams and Darren Todd to name a few. The stories themselves are quite varied. One story tells the tale of a carnival ride and a tree that take on a life of their own. Another forces the reade
Lauren Caffrey
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When most people think of the Horror Genre they think of the Supernatural, Dark Fantasy, Sci-fi, Psychological Horror, Gothic, The Satanic, Paranormal, and even Suspense. If you were to mention Botanical Horror most people would sport confused looks upon their faces. I was lucky enough to be able to read a few stories falling within this new genre. I do have to say when I first heard about the genre I had the same blank face you would expect from most. I had no idea how stories about plants coul ...more
Author Groupie
Jan 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
When author Rhonda Tibbs told me about Growing Concerns: An Eco-Horror Anthology edited by Alex Hurst, I was more than intrigued. Halloween being my favorite holiday where dressed as a witch I scare all of the neighborhood children and shriek at the top of my lungs while touring haunted houses, I knew this was a must read. If looking for fear in the form of words on a page, not an easy task for an author I might add, Growing Concerns, a short story anthology which makes one view plants, flowers, ...more
David
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Okay, this collection of decidedly frightening stories involving growing things has made me worry about the upcoming spring season and the need to trim my shrubbery. I will certainly think twice about mowing the grass from now on. All kidding aside, I truly loved this book. I can't say that I liked one story over the others but each one had its own special personality.
Scientists tell us that plants cannot feel pain, but do we really know this for sure? Perhaps they have a form of intelligence th
Linda Laforge
Jan 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
I don't usually read short story books, but I am quite glad I had the opportunity to read Growing Concerns. The compilation is filled with variety of style.

I loved "Redpath" by Luke Murphy. "Of Sweet Peas and Radishes" by Robert J. Santa is pretty disturbing. "Bittersweet Dreams" by Melissa S. Osburn was a pleasant surprise. I liked that I wasn't quite sure what was next.

Fans of the horror genre will certainly find something they like, along with some thought provoking surprises. I suspect some
Debbie Armbruster
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
As anyone who has watched the tree scene in the first Evil Dead movie can attest, plants can bee seriously creepy! The Eco-horror anthology _Growing Concerns_ , edited by Alex Hurst, is a mix of successfully horrifying tales and sophomoric short stories. Overall, it was enjoyable. Read with the understanding that not everything will be a gem. The final story, "Plot 264" by Darren Todd, was particularly good.
I received this anthology free in exchange for review.
Kerry
Mar 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
There are some excellent short stories in this collection. Set everywhere from creepy swamps to a not-circus and lush back yards, these tales can tendril around a subconscious and grow into disturbing dreams.
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Apr 12, 2016
Donna
Jun 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Crystal Hubbard
Aug 27, 2014
Subhajit Das
Nov 30, 2018
Ariel Hudnall
Jan 18, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Anthony Hulse
May 27, 2014
Tata Mbinglo
Jun 26, 2014
Renee' Viness
Oct 13, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-words-in-here
Apr 28, 2015
Ethan Black
Jul 09, 2015
Ethan Nahté
Jan 20, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Nancy
Sep 15, 2016
Bard Groupie
Feb 03, 2017
Kim
Nov 03, 2017
Welcome to my author page.

I am a fantasy writer who was raised in the wilds of the south. Lightning storms and hurricanes created the playpens of my youth, and in the summers, I used to spend all of my time dodging horseflies in a golden river, catching fish and snakes with my bare hands, swinging from vines, and falling out of magnolia trees.

In the dawn of my adolescence, my family took me on a j