Start by marking “HUSH” as Want to Read:
HUSH

HUSH

For Jane, it started with a stolen kiss, a stolen innocence, a false love promised by a “so-called” boyfriend who turns Jane into “Diamond”: schoolgirl by day, teen prostitute by night. And as much as Jane yearns to escape, to speak up, she can’t.

Manipulated by pimps. Threatened with violence. Dependent on drugs will be nothing compared to what Jane unravels: an underg
Published January 1st 2014 (first published April 15th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about HUSH, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about HUSH

Start your review of HUSH
Chelcee Williams
Dec 01, 2014 rated it did not like it
Desperately in need of an editor.

The storyline of this non-fiction book was solid, the book itself is far from that. The grammar alone made me want to quit reading halfway through. I finished it by literally skimming pages because I couldn't handle all the mistakes.
☆Joycedale☆
May 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
More than a few typos otherwise I would've given it 5★. The writing style isn't great but it was one of the most bleeped up stories I have ever read. Take the authors 18+ warning serious, its definitely isn't for the faint of heart.

My heart is immediately captivated by Jane and having read the blurb I know what's gona happen to her. She see's warning signs but she's 14 doesn't understand them. This is a horribly twisted story that I couldn't put down. Just when I think it can't get any worse it
Elida
Feb 05, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay this book was so freaking disturbing ...I almost couldn't finishes the book. Jane is a 14 yr old girl that is befriended by a girl name Tanya who has brother name Dominic. Well Dominic rapes Jane making her think that it 's okay and manipulators her of thinking she's going to be his girlfriend. Wrong ...This is part of plot of exploiting young girls in this some time of sex slave organization that is run by Dominic ,some so called play cousins ,Dominic' s father, and most of all the sicknes ...more
Amanda
Jun 29, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I thought that I had read some pretty bad stuff in some books but this book is so disturbing and horrible and the worst I've read. I only kept reading because I was waiting and hoping for Jane/Diamond to escape somehow and start her life over or even get revenge. I thought that maybe she would even fall in love with Mr. Church and he would help her and the other girls escape or something but nothing good ever happens in this book! I just pushed through and kept reading but it just gets worst as ...more
Philip Wardlow
This book should open your eyes to the dynamics of how a little girl's mind slowly disintegrates when it is basically slowly beaten down and made to participate in the organized world of sex trafficking.

The book is not a pretty look at this side of the fence in the sex trade (nor should it be in my opinion)...no faint of hearts should venture here if you cannot take the realism of what life can really be like for girls in this life.

My only problem is the meandering of the plot and the overstatem
Raquel
Mar 26, 2015 rated it did not like it
I'm an admitted grammar nazi. I find mistakes in every book I read. That being said, I am still able to read most books anyway. This book was NOT one of those. I literally had to re-read so much that I got annoyed and just stopped. The main character was a weak person and whined & questioned herself constantly. I guess I'm into stronger heroines, who, even when they have weak moments, they are at least trying to fix things. This girl just takes it & takes it never questioning the motives of othe ...more
Kaitlin
Oct 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great book.

Very good book. I didn't expect for it to end up the way it did, but it was good. Deciding whether to read the next one or not. I didn't know the book was very realistic to prostitution.
Nikki ღ Navareus
The story writing was tight. De La Chapa can definitely write. Took me a long time to finish this book though, because it was so brutal, horrifying and depressing to read. Horribly sad story.
Jessie
Nov 22, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was disturbing, very disturbing. I actually put it down and planned not to finish it until I read a review that gave a hint as to what was going to happen at then end. I was flabbergasted and had to finish it. Makes me a bit ill thinking about it. The awful abuse of such a young girl is just so hard for me to fathom. 3 Stars because it was well written and the author had a way of really getting to me. I, however, do not plan on reading the other two books. My heart is already broken.
Candace Foulke
Dec 04, 2018 rated it did not like it
Somehow I mistakenly thought this was a true crime book. Sadly, I was wrong. This book was just, in my opinion, the most ridiculous piece of crap I have ever read (and I've read a LOT!!) The storyline is ridiculous, the "plot" jumps around and I found numerous discrepancies about what was going on in any particular scene. It appears there was no editing done at all, and the ending was also just as ridiculous as the previous entire story. I am truly sorry I wasted money on this.
Sami Tee
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dark but a good read
crystal vizcarra
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A book you can’t put down

Heartbreaking twists and turns but you have to know the what’s whos and whys. A page turner for sure.couldnt stop reading
Jim Bailey
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good book

This was an enlightening but heartbreaking story. This has helped give me ideas of what some of these children are subject to.
MRS R BAILEY
Mar 09, 2017 rated it liked it
A little bit of a predictive ending. shocking story line will most likely read the following books but maybe just not yet.
Mandi McWhortor
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It was truly a sad story but I just couldn't stop reading it I'm looking forward to reading the next book soon as i can I do believe that it had a few miss spellings in it but story wise it was well written.

The story line was well written. This is a very sad and astonishing story to ready there is some comical points to it and this book definitely keeps you wanting to read it.
Danielle Johnson
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
It's okay...

Don't worry, no spoilers.
The book is a good read and it's interesting. However, it is really hard to believe that anyone could be so naive and easily manipulated. I was actually pretty annoyed with Jane by the end of the book.
With that being said,
I am not sure if this is a true story or not, but the editing was not done well. There are many sentences that don't quite make sense and words missing letters. I can't remember the exact errors, but if you read often you will probably spo
Stone Rouffignac
Oct 08, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a horribly fascinating book. In my opinion it’s badly written, with many grammatical issues and other technical faults, but despite that I really couldn’t put it down.

The author states that it’s a work of fiction. That may well be true, but there is no doubt in my mind that what is described really does happen, all over the world, despite the best efforts of law-enforcement agencies.

Don’t read these books if you are likely to get upset by seriously nasty things happening to young – and e
Michael Taylor
Mar 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My thoughts

I am giving this story 5 stars, not because of the writing,but because of the story.As I read this book I found myself wanting to beat the shit out of someone.
At the end I knew who that someone was.
I know this is a work of fiction,but still I was very angry.
To think that those you love and depend on,especially your own parents could do this to their own child was disgusting.
I wanted to kill these pathetic people.
And even though I knew if the story continued she would surely get a bad
Molly
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
Gut wrenching

So graphic, and I read American Psycho. It was difficult to read, and at times just felt the author could have eased up on the graphic description of abuse and told more of that story. To be honest, about half way through I just started skimming to see if Jane got away, got revenge, got anything! But she didn't and then close the end I was flipping pages at a time. I officially couldn't stomach the story.It I did read the ending and I hate the ending and it makes me want to own a g
Onaja Davis
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
What did I just read

This book was okay. Not sure what I was expecting, but whatever it was, it kept me tuned in. Though there were many times where I questioned if I should continue on.
This read lacked something that I can't put my finger on.
And It felt like there were forced parts. Like just came out of left field. Like what?! The end was definitely forced. Like where did that come from? And then it ended. Just like that. I'm tempted to read the next story just to fill the void that this book
Kristina
Apr 13, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
WOW

This book was absolutely painful to read. I felt so bad for this girl it was hard to even finish the book. The writing style was not the best. There were quite a few grammatical errors but it was still readable. The worst thing about this book was that there isn't a happy ending. This girls life literally just gets worse and worse. If you can't handle vulgar and offensive and also graphic reality based books this is not the book for you. I have read many books on this subject and this book wa
Nicole Seviles
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Rachael
Mar 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Lupee
Nov 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
The writing style of this author is really tight it has a way of grabbing you and take you into the story of Jane "diamond" the story made my heart ache made me want to scream,fight,and cry for Jane as each chapter ended .. there was parts of my book that was disturbing and made my skin crawl . But this book will definitely open your eyes about the sex trade world , yes parts of this book is completely disturbing but it is a book that will forever live in your mind and make you feel a wide range ...more
josh yoh
Jun 15, 2015 rated it did not like it
I can't believe I wasted my time

I honestly don't know why i even started reading this book. I believe it was recommended after I read a true story about a famous abduction. The story is just sick. The ending is the worst thing I have ever read. I seriously wanted to vomit after reading this. Finally the spelling errors... who wrote this crap and whatever happened to hiring an editor? I won't bother with the rest of the series and I. Too embarrassed to even tell anyone I read this garbage.
Eoferwic
Jan 16, 2016 rated it did not like it
Awful writing. It's so poorly written that I couldn't get through more than a dozen chapters or so. Typos, grammatical errors, incorrectly used words - usually several per page. It distracted from the actual story.

Which actually is probably a good thing, because the story is also abysmal. The characters are so one-dimensional and caricatured that they're uninteresting. The plot itself just seeks to titillate but is predictable at every turn and - frankly - not worth reading.

It's as though it was
Michelle Pittman
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
The story had potential, but unfortunately it was so laced with grammatical errors, that I felt I was constantly correcting the writing in my head. it also annoyed me that the writer continuously used 'cause instead of because. it is literally just one more keystroke. There is a difference between to and too; not once was too used where it should have been. As a reader, I just expect the writer to understand the basics of grammar. ...more
Big
Mar 16, 2016 rated it liked it
I don't know if that was such a good thing to give stars for this book. I mean does five mean you enjoy what happened to those kids? Does a one or two mean the book was bad or the situation?

Ms. Raine definitely brought her characters to life, predators and all. To do what they did to those children is just sick. Is there a fiction hell for bad book characters? If so, the adults in this book belong in the ninth ring.
Shamra
Apr 05, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a sick and demented story. I was appaled at the content of this story about a 14 year old girl who is forced into prostitution by people she trusts. I read it hoping there would be a silver cloud and she would escape her dementors, but I was disappointed. I cried in the process of reading especially half way through when I really understood what was happening.
 Jim Melville
Sep 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
How would you feel ?

Considering the sewer she was raised in from Middle School onwards, how well could she express her feelings in prose and perfectly project her feelings in perfect grammar? The fact that she could reveal this at at all shows that she has more courage than most contemporary writers. Good for her!

• HUSHED [ book 2 ]
  • JANE. [ book 3 ]
  • Every Last Secret
  • What Hurts the Most (Mary Mills Mystery Book 1)
  • The Bones She Buried (Detective Josie Quinn #5)
  • Don't Lie to Me (Eva Rae Thomas Mystery, #1)
  • Out of the Silence: After the Crash
  • Her Final Confession (Detective Josie Quinn #4)
  • Where has Mummy Gone?: When there is nothing left but memories…
  • Careful little eyes (Mary Mills Mystery Book 4)
  • You Can't Hide (7th Street Crew #3)
  • You Can Run (7th Street Crew #2)
  • What You Did (Eva Rae Thomas Mystery, #2)
  • Say You Love Me (Eva Rae Thomas Mystery, #4)
  • Let Me Go (Eva Rae Thomas Mystery #5)
  • The Girl Who Came Home
  • Me Without You
  • Illicit

News & Interviews

Looking for a fictional meet-cute in the new year? We've got some steamy novels for you to snuggle up with, including Casey McQuiston's...
“I constantly read to loose myself in someone else’s world, in someone else’s pain just to escape mine. ” 1 likes
“The Devil knows who to present himself to” 0 likes