Start by marking “Father Goose: One Man, a Gaggle of Geese, and Their Real Life Incredible Journey South” as Want to Read:

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  48 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Featured on an enormously popular 20/20 segment, this heartwarming story tells of William Lishman, a reclusive sculptor, who adopted a gaggle of geese, flew with them in an ultralight glider, and actually taught them to migrate--earning himself the nickname "Father Goose." Optioned for film by Columbia Pictures. 66 color photos.
Published June 30th 1998 by Crown (first published February 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Father Goose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Father Goose

Kressel Housman
Apr 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Operation Migration, a heroic attempt to save the endangered whooping crane and trumpeter swan, was featured in the book Wild Ones, which is all about wildlife and environmental conservation. This book, the memoir of one of the key members of Operation Migration, is mentioned there, and because it involves two of my son’s earlier passions – birds and airplanes – I bought it with the hope of enticing him to read it. Naturally, I read it myself first.

Bill Lishman was an unconventional sculptor bar
Paul Riches
Feb 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fly Away Home With Father Goose

What starts as the tale of a listless man, growing up with dreams of flight and adventure and creativity, transforms into a story of a desperate attempt to save a part of Mother Nature herself.

The man is William Lishman. His tools are an ultralight plane and a flock of geese. And the true-life book is called Father Goose, the inspiration for the wonderful movie Fly Away Home.

Lishman was always filled with a vagabond spirit and a wish for wings that worked, even at
May 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have loved the movie "Fly Away Home" and considered it an inspirational movie worthy of viewing in my classroom. I was really pleased to learn that there was a book!

However, I was deeply disappointed to learn how weakly the book and movie were tied. No tween heroine. No interplay between daughter and father. No accident killing the mom.

I decided to read the book anyway. I found it charming. There are parts where I chuckled. That's right: a genuine laugh-out-loud! The photography is compelling
Kay Nagel
Sep 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
I've had this book on my to-read shelf ever since I saw the movie Fly Away Home in the late 90s. Finally read it! Not bad if you like animal stories. Interesting to look up Operation Migration to see how far the geese experiment has come. As far as stories go, the movie was much better but had very little to do with the book.
Paula Dembeck
Jul 15, 2013 rated it liked it
The story of William Lishman a noted Canadian sculptor, environmentalist and animal lover who designed his own ultra light plane and taught geese to fly with him. He took them all to Virginia and the following spring, the flock returned unaided to his farm.
Interesting autobiography of this unusual man.
Marlene
Jul 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir
The real story that inspired the movie "Fly Away Home". A very inspirational story by a local celebrity metal sculptor and aviation enthusiast. His story about his success with imprinting Canadian geese and his wife's (as a fur knit fashion designer) have always warmed my heart.
Shelley
Feb 27, 2008 rated it liked it
The book that was the basis of the Jeff Daniels movie, Fly Away Home, tells the true tale of a man and an ultralight teaching geese to migrate.
Clancy Anderson