Start by marking “Bat Loves the Night with Audio: Read, Listen, & Wonder” as Want to Read:
Bat Loves the Night with Audio: Read, Listen, & Wonder

Bat Loves the Night with Audio: Read, Listen, & Wonder (Read, Listen and Wonder)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  291 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
This vibrant new book-and-CD series brings the best of our Read and Wonder nature stories to life.

Each paperback title in the series includes a CD that features:
- an engaging read-aloud with sound effects
- a segment focusing on fascinating facts
- a read-along opportunity guided by prompts

Follow a pipistrelle bat through a hushed nocturnal world as she swoops to find her
Published April 8th 2008 by Candlewick Press (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Bat Loves the Night with Audio, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bat Loves the Night with Audio

Kathryn
4.5 STARS

I really loved this book for what it did. We follow a day in the life of a pipistrelle bat and she is so darn cute! The text is engaging and even a bit lyrical, not at all dry, and I thoroughly enjoyed the story and illustrations. Probably would have been a five-star book except that I would have liked a little more information about other types of bats maybe in an Afterward.
Fredrick Danysh
This is a good children's book about one bat's night time journey. Laced with numerous drawings and side bars, it is an very good way for children to get a basic understanding of bats.
Joanna
Mar 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks
This was a short fun story about one bat's night flight, and it packs a punch with the most evocative explanation of echolocation I have ever read! "Bat shouts as she flies, louder than a hammer blow, higher than a squeak. She beams her voice around her like a flashlight, and the echoes come singing back. They carry a sound picture of all her voice has touched. Listening hard, Bat can hear every detail, the smallest twigs, the shape of leaves."
A.
Nov 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Daniel Stockton, Our Future Children
I love this book and the illustrations. It is very educational for children to learn about bats, as well as the general story. Wonderful book!
Kary
Jan 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytime
Good book for our kids' bat unit in the fall.
Tina Brown-Larkin
This informational text reads like your favorite picture book--with a lyrical flow and captivating illustrations.
Donna Mork
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice story about how a bat flies, sleeps, and eats, as well as how they care for their young. Lots of side matter and back matter info about bats.
Audrey
This basically tells the detailed story of a typical (mother) bat's night.
This was avery interesting read. Usually, when I think of bats, I think, "Ew! Bats are scary and only belong during Halloween." However, as I read this, I discovered that they are not gross and scary, but kind of cute and intruiging. I also learned a new big word: echolocation. I had no idea bats used their screeches to discern what is ahead. That is crazy! I also never put together that their wings are also kind of their
Danielle Truitt
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wow-books
My class and I really enjoyed Bat Loves the Night. The story follows a mother bat as she awakens at dusk, flies out into the night hunting and searching for food, then returns home at sunrise to feed her battling’s, and sleep again until nightfall. The author combines a simple and easy to follow story line with interesting scientific information, fun facts, and trivia. Through the story you find out where bats live, how they hang upside down, their special body features, how they navigate at nig ...more
Karen
Oct 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My almost-five-year-old son checked this book out from our local library last week.

My son loves Batman. Once he recovered from his disappointment that this book was not about Batman, but about a bat, he paid some attention. This book, although in picture book form, is actually intended for a slightly older child. He could relate to parts of the book that were like Batman -- i.e., the look of the bats, and to the parts of the book that reminded him of Toothless -- i.e., the echolocation, but he
Natalie Santangelo
Bat Loves the Night is a book about how bats live throughout the night and what they need to survive, like moths, mosquitos, even fish or frogs. It talks about how they are awake at night and what they do to eat, where they sleep in the morning. This is a nonfiction books that would be influential in the classroom for young students because they will be able to learn how bats live and what they need to survive. There is a lot of vocabulary in the book that students will be able to learn and will ...more
Anna Dipprey
This informational book follows the pipistrelle bat as it goes about its routine. I liked that this book combined a story and information into one. This makes it more appealing to younger children. I did love the illustrations. They were very well done and I think students would get a kick out of how realistic they are.
This book would be best suited for students doing an animal project in the 3rd grade. I believe that the vocabulary and some themes are a little too advanced for younger readers.
T
Dec 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this story; props to Nicola Davies!

It was very educational but it wasn't boring. It told us a story while informing us about what bats do and Sarah Fox-Davies did a great job with the illustrations.

I remember learning about bats and what they do in elementary school so reading about this kind of took me back to a carefree time and reminded me of some memories. I even learned something new; I had forgotten that bats fed their babies milk (silly, I know!)

Overall, I was happy with th
Charlie
Okay. I read the title: "Bat Loves The Night" and so I'm thinking this story is about a bat named Bat who loves the night. But where do I find a place that shows Bat loving the night? NO WHERE! This is the best book ever. This is the worst book ever. This book is okay. I don't hate this book because I've rated books 1 star.
Its fine. Not only is this just a story but it also gives us facts on bats. I think the rating for this book is 2.5 stars.

Title: Bat Loves The Night: Read and Wonder
A
Tim Vandenberg
May 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A superb introductory book on bats, and an excellent book for practicing informational text reading skills: This book contains both poetic & informational text, high quality paintings, and an index.

I learned things I'd never learned before.

Recommended for young capable readers and for those blessed with a read-aloud partner.

A worthy choice for the CCSS Appendix B Grades 2-3 Text Exemplar list.
Jackie
Jul 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals-bats
Beautifully written and illustrated, Bat Loves the Night, is full of information without being 'teachy'. These little Pipistrelle bats live around the world and find their playground in the nighttime.

Kids will read about some interesting bat facts...maybe even some they've never heard before!

Used for "Dream Big:READ! Storytime": July, 2012
Rita Crayon Huang
Nov 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rita Crayon by: Public library display
A nonfiction that reads like fiction! (Which is what I need.)

The words are evocative, gentle, swooping, imaginative. The illustrations add the same tender touch, informative and finely detailed, without ever overwhelming. We feel like we go on this journey. And there's wonderful extra information on bats in smaller lettering on some of the pages.

A delight!

r
Matthew
This is a great piece of writing. I don't know that there are many other writers that can so seemlessly present a narrative text about a bat mixed flawlessly with an informational text on the same subject. It's truly one of the books that we should all look out for, whether you're interested in bats or not. Great book.
Robert
Early elementary. The book seemed to be a very standard picture book, however, I would also classify it as an informational text. I liked that the book discussing anatomy, ecosystems, and basic biology of bats. I could see students getting into this book and would recommend it to a student that is really into animals.
Natasha
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lorriezm
Jul 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I loved this little book. I will surely buy more of Nicola Davies books. Simply explained, you will learn all about the pipistrelle bat in fewer than 30 pages! The illustrations by Sarah Fox-Davies are amazingly beautiful. I am running to Barnes and Noble this afternoon to pick up her other books!
Jim Sibigtroth
Looks like a nice read-aloud for PK and K. There are two levels of text...one is very basic and just tells a story, and the second layer is set a little smaller and includes more details and science facts.
Eva Kelly
Mar 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So this is a really good one and you know why? Well, I'll TELL you. Because it looks like just a story but it's got all these FACTS in it, PLUS it's a story. So now we need to go up in the attic and see if we can find BATS! But you (Tanya) stay downstairs because you're pregnant.
Arica Newcom
Nov 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This is a great book to use with young readers who are being introduced to nonficiton. The book provides an easy to read story about the "day in the life of" of a bat, but each page also has a blurb that includes a fact about bats.
KC
Nov 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bats, baby bats, and bats on the hunt!Superb illustrations and informative text guide young readers with an interest in nature and everything regarding bats. I love that Nicola Davies is a zoologist.
David
3 1/2 starts. Good info, great pictures.
Emily
Jul 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book follows the day in the life of a pipistrelle bat with engaging text- lyrical and informative info. Good for a teacher collection.

Recommended Gr. 2-4.
Michelle
Apr 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
LOVED this book. The drawings are very lifelike and the story contains real bat facts. It evens comes wtih a CD
Abbey
Jun 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really awesome way to look at bats. This book actually makes them look adorable!
Nicole Flores
This is a children's book about bats that has a lot of information but it is a little dry and boring.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Actual Size
  • Here Comes the Garbage Barge!
  • Mini Mia and Her Darling Uncle
  • Manfish: A Story of Jacques Cousteau
  • D Is for Drinking Gourd: An African American Alphabet
  • Bigmama's
  • Now & Ben: The Modern Inventions of Benjamin Franklin
  • Elephants Can Paint Too!
  • Boy, Were  We Wrong About Dinosaurs!
  • Over and Under the Snow
"I was very small when I saw my first dolphin," says zoologist Nicola Davies, recalling a seminal visit with her father to a dolphin show at the zoo. Enchanted at the sight of what she called the "big fish" jumping so high and swimming so fast, she determined right then that she would meet the amazing creatures again "in the wild, where they belonged." And indeed she did--as part of a pair of scie ...more
More about Nicola Davies...

Read, Listen and Wonder (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • All Pigs Are Beautiful: Read and Wonder
  • Big Blue Whale: Read and Wonder
  • A Field Full of Horses: Read and Wonder
  • Gentle Giant Octopus: Read and Wonder
  • Growing Frogs
  • Ice Bear: In the Steps of the Polar Bear
  • One Tiny Turtle
  • Sea Horse: The Shyest Fish in the Sea
  • Surprising Sharks (Boston Globe-Horn Book Honors (Awards))
  • The Emperor's Egg

Nonfiction Deals

• Death by Living: Life Is Meant to Be Spent
    $4.99 $1.99
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Decisive: How to Make Better Choices in Life and Work
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Creativity, Inc.: Overcoming the Unseen Forces That Stand in the Way of True Inspiration
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The Other Wes Moore: One Name, Two Fates
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Bobby Kennedy: The Making of a Liberal Icon
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Tao of Bill Murray: Real-Life Stories of Joy, Enlightenment, and Party Crashing
    $11.99 $2.99