Start by marking “The Road to Rome (Forgotten Legion Chronicles, #3)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Road to Rome

Ben Kane

The Road to Rome

(Forgotten Legion Chronicles #3)

Having survived the perils of a journey across half the world, Romulus and Tarquinius are press-ganged into the legions, which are under imminent threat of annihilation by the Egyptians. Meanwhile in Rome, Romulus' twin sister Fabiola lives in fear for her life, loved by Brutus, but wooed by Marcus Antonius, his deadly enemy. Back in Egypt, Romulus fights at Zela, the ...more
Audiobook
Published December 1st 2011 by Random House AudioBooks (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Road to Rome, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Road to Rome

Start your review of The Road to Rome (Forgotten Legion Chronicles, #3)
Paul O'Neill
Oh dear lord this series fell apart at the end. This whole book was a series of annoying conveniences and Fabiola turned into a most hateful character and you can not tease the potential return of a main character and do nothing with it!

Shame after the first two books were five stars.
Gary
Jun 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author knew how to finish this well. At times it seemed to vanish into meticulously described battles that were indistinguishable from one another. The story is at its best in the alleys, bordellos and gladiator pits of Rome. The characters become lifelike and the practices such as divination are accurately portrayed and tended to hold my interest momentarily, but it is the interaction of the characters that I really enjoyed.
Watching Fabiola go from victim to master manipulator was
Gaby
Mar 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You'll need to read each of the books in Forgotten Legion series in order. Ben Kane creates complex characters that undergo incredible trials. As they escape death and tempt fate, the lead characters are forced to give up things that they hold dear.

The twins Fabiola and Romulus are children of a slave woman who was raped by high ranking Roman citizen. The twins never know who their father is but hold a deep anger and hatred towards him for the pain inflicted on their mother. They're
Jim C
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating is 3.5 stars.

This is the final book of a trilogy and the other two must be read before this one. This book takes place during ancient Rome during Julius Caesar's rule. This book tells if the two twins will be finally reunited and if they get their revenge on the people who wronged them during their childhood.

I did think this book was the weakest book of the trilogy but it is still an enjoyable read. At first, I wasn't crazy about all three main characters being separated as I was
Dave
Aug 30, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I have read the previous two books from this trilogy and although there were some issues with writing and style, the story was interesting enough and the plot moved along at a nice pace. The historical detail seemed quite accurate, to someone like me, with just some generic knowledge about the period.

In this third book, however, it became more and more difficult to sidestep the issues I have with the writing. The main issues that bothered me were a constant shifting of POV and the ploy to stop
Helen Mccabe
The third book of this Ben Kane trilogy retains as much interest as did the other two, except it appears that the personal friendship between Romulus, the Roman, Tarquinius, the Etruscan haruspex and Brennus, the mighty Gaul has been broken apart. Romulus does not know what has happened to his close companions and continues to soldier on gallantly in Caesar's army without their help and company. He is then returned as a punishment to Rome, when his fellow legionnaires discover he has been a ...more
Margaret
Did not finish. Barely even started, in fact.

Just could not get interested in the characters or the plot.
Toast
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes reading historical fiction - mainly surrounding ancient Rome
Okay, this took me an embarrassingly long time to actually get to and/or finish reading once I started, but it's not because of the book! It's because I've had so much going on these past two months that it's been virtually impossible to find good time to read.

But one 4 hour road-trip later this way and back provided ample time to finally get through this sucker and let me just say AGH! MY FEELINGS!

I started tearing up while I was reading this book as we got nearer to the climax. Not at the
Speesh
May 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-romans
Why do all good things have to come to an end?

Who said that?

They need a slap. And they need to read The Forgotten Legion trilogy. If ever there was a book you didn't want to end, it's this one. If ever there was a series you didn't want to end, it is The Forgotten Legion trilogy. Couldn't we convince Ben that 'trilogy' actually means 'four', or 'five', or...well, you get the picture.

Here and now, The Road to Rome is, of course, the culmination of Ben Kane's Forgotten Legion trilogy and I don't
John Salter
Oct 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the final volume of the Forgotten Legion Chronicles, The Road to Rome the story reaches its conclusion and finds Romulus eventually returning to the city he fled ten years before, when he was wrongly blaimed for the death of a noble. After being captured and made to fight in a foreign army, escaping and fighting for Caesars legions, he returns home in search of his sister and to seek revenge on the man that sold him and his family into slavery.

With a back drop to reality Romulus marches
Robin Carter
May 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having read the first two books in this series by Ben Kane and enjoyed them both I looked forward to book 3 Road to Rome with great interest.

The Forgotten Legion series centres around twins Romulus and Fabiola, who were birthed by their slave mother who was raped by a mysterious noble-born Roman, the whole series is driven from that one act and the twins pursuit of truth and freedom.

Book three very much revolves around the rape, and how Fabiola plans revenge against who she sees as the rapist,
Sammie
Aug 31, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is the final book of a trilogy. It concludes the story of twins - born into slavery after their mother was raped by a Nobel man. Romulus and Fabiola had a terrible start in life. Regularly beaten, barely fed and sheltered, witness to repeated rapes of their mother by their master, and finally sold - Romulus to a gladiator school and Fabiola to a brothel. The backdrop to this is Caesar’s rise and fall. The historical basis of this book is good and interesting, and from what I can tell as ...more
Ian
Aug 11, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was looking forward to receiving this as the first two books in the series were so good. As it was, I finished it within two days of receiving it 'hot off the press'.

The central storyline in the series is a little far-fetched, even more so than is typical in the genre. However the historical background and detail is first class. What Ben Kane does best is the way he inter-twines the various storylines and constantly leaves the reader on a knife-edge. This means, of course, that it is hard to
Beorn
Nov 22, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romans
An adequate end to a series that does what's necessary to tie up the loose ends and bring the story to a conclusion without actually adding anything to the series. Kind of like the lid on a jar; purely functional and featureless.

I could go into this in depth but frankly I can't be arsed.
While I'd feel harsh slagging this book off as it's not actually a "bad book", it's just too lacklustre to be able to make any comment on without having to force one out.
Simon
Feb 26, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I have finally completed Ben Kane's trilogy and what a struggle it was. By the end I had lost all sympathy for and interest in the characters. That the two, possibly three, male heroes should survive to live again in further adventures is more than I can bear. There were further mistakes to irritate - Roman triremes sailing in mid ocean - I think not! I shall not be reading any sequels.
Dominik
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mr. Kane created a world in which there are intrigues, conspiracies, fight and heroes who have a purpose in life. Indeed - no matter how it is - it seems to be the most important thing for the twins - Fabiola and Romulus. It gives them strength to fight - physically and mentally, it helps them to survive the next day of struggling with trouble. Although they raise prayers to the gods, the real desire and perspective of meeting again lies within them. In the end, the chosen goal in life becomes ...more
Andrew Doohan
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
The story comes to an end, with Romulus and Fabiola reunited in Rome, though not exactly on the best of terms. Both now freed from the slavery they were born into, they come together in Rome at a time of great turmoil as unrest amongst Rome's noble class concerning one Julius Ceaser comes to a climax.

It should come as no great surprise that in the end, Ceaser is assassinated by a coalition of Roman nobles led by Brutus, but the end for Romulus and Fabiola was less envisaged until the very last
Leigh Library
A wonderful invocation of Rome and the Empire before the Caesars. If you want a fast paced novel, set around the events of the beginning of Imperial Rome, I can recommend this trilogy.

The Pompey / Caesar Civil war runs to its conclusion. Fabiola plots vengeance for her mother. entangling her brother in the prophesy of the Ides of March.
Michael Annis
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Read....again

Loved as much as the first reading Many years ago. Well written, great characters and lots of action. It brings Republican Rome to life. One minor complaint, every time one of the “heroes” gets in a right pickle we just to another character. I know it’s a writing device but it still bugs me. Sadly there is no more of Romulous’s adventures. Shame.
Rene2410
It's always sad for me that when I start enjoying some book series it will always come to an end to never see continuation of what would happen next wish Ben Kane continued with it with romulus tarquinius and Octavian Caesars adopted son to continue the civil war until the Roman empire.
SEAN
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just finished this epic trilogy by Ben Kane. A hugely enjoyable read with a sense you have been on a life long journey with the main characters. From huge battles to moments of genuine emotional intimacy this is a book also backed up by worthy historical research and accuracy. Highly recommended.
Elizabeth Fantham
Excellent series!!! Can't wait to get more audible credits for more of Ben Kanes books!!!
Fahed ( Fred )
Bit boring and slow at the start but great ending. Enjoyed reading it
John Mutchek
I enjoyed the story in the first two books of this trilogy, but this last book just seemed to be dragging it out. I actually skimmed the last 20 or so pages.
christine taylor
Excellent reading

All three books in the trilogy were extremely interesting and well written. Great characters and story cleverly aligned to historical facts.
Dean Haywood
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book.
Soho_Black
Dec 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, owned-books
I was fortunate enough to meet Ben Kane shortly after publication of ‘’The Silver Eagle’’, the second novel in his ‘’Forgotten Legion’’ chronicles. Having enjoyed the first two parts of the trilogy, I was eager to read the third and told him to write faster. He just laughed at me and told me I’d have to be patient. Patience may be a virtue, but it was never one of mine. Fortunately, ‘’The Road to Rome’’ was well worth the wait.

After years of wondering if their twin were still alive, Romulus and
Clark
Aug 11, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read The Forgotten Legion years ago and wanted to see how Romulus, Fabiola, Tarquinius and friends survived the events which led to the demise of the Roman Republic. Anyone who ever had to read Julius Caesar in English Lit class knows how the story ends, but what had initially intrigued me about Kane's spin on the story was that many of the characters were the "outcasts" of Roman society: Romulus and Fabiola had been born into slavery, while Tarquinius (the divining haruspex) belonged to the ...more
Lindsey Roberts
Jun 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ben Kane continues his epic trilogy with the third and final book in The Forgotten Legion with the Road to Rome.

And he doesn’t disappoint.

I couldn’t put it down.

It’s not the sort of book that you just want to read a few pages of before bed, because you can guarantee that you will land yourself in the middle of a battle, or an event that will mean you’ll just have to keep reading to find out if they escape. Due to the nature of the books and what he had happen in the previous two, there is no
Wayne Farmer
Jan 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Last in the Forgotten Legion Trilogy, and another well researched good historical read. I really enjoyed this trilogy of novels and they really bought Roman life, well, to life! I found myself really disliking Fabiola and her ruthlessness and really liking Romulus and his honour.
Sadly, while for me the book is probably deserving of 5 stars, I personally don't like fictional characters in historical books being so close to actual historical events that they virtually wield the killing blow
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Tribune of Rome (Vespasian, #1)
  • Fire in the East (Warrior of Rome, #1)
  • King of Kings (Warrior of Rome, #2)
  • Rome's Executioner (Vespasian, #2)
  • The Sign of The Blood
  • Under the Eagle (Eagle #1)
  • Lion of the Sun (Warrior of Rome, #3)
  • Rome's Sacred Flame (Vespasian, #8)
  • Wounds of Honour (Empire, #1)
  • Emperor's Knife (Imperial Assassin Book 2)
  • Barbarian Princess (The Centurions #2)
  • Traitors of Rome (Eagle #18)
  • Lancelot
  • Emperor of Rome (Vespasian, #9)
  • The Emperor's Games (The Centurions #3)
  • Arminius: The Limits of Empire
  • The Lost Ten
  • Wraiths (The Parthian Chronicles #12)
Ben Kane is a bestselling Roman author and former veterinarian. He was born in Kenya and grew up in Ireland (where his parents are from). He has traveled widely and is a lifelong student of military history in general, and Roman history in particular. He lives in North Somerset, England, with his family.

Forgotten Legion Chronicles (3 books)
  • The Forgotten Legion (Forgotten Legion Chronicles, #1)
  • The Silver Eagle (Forgotten Legion Chronicles, #2)