Start by marking “A Single Step (The Grayson Trilogy #1)” as Want to Read:
A Single Step (The Grayson Trilogy #1)

A Single Step

(The Grayson Trilogy #1)

‘The gun continued to be levelled at me. “Answer it...but don’t tell him I’m here or he’ll get to listen to you die.” That concentrated my mind considerably, and as I reached for my phone I came up with a plan...’

Emma Grayson was left devastated when her life was torn apart by tragedy and betrayal. Now someone believes it’s time for her to start again and puts an advert f
Published January 2014

To ask other readers questions about A Single Step, please sign up.
Georgia Rose Sorry, only just seen this question. No, I don’t close the door on the romance element. It’s not graphic, but it is there. Hope this helps.

Start your review of A Single Step (The Grayson Trilogy #1)
Cathy Ryan
Dec 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Emma Grayson desperately needs a fresh start after a devastating personal trauma compounded by a betrayal she couldn’t comprehend. She secures a job with Lord Cavendish of Melton Manor Estate, managing the stables and looking after the horses, after the advert for the job had been posted to her anonymously. Hurt beyond measure and disillusioned, she is wary of getting close to anyone again and just wants to get on with her job and be left alone. The community on the Estate is a tight knit one th ...more
Moushine Zahr
This is the first novel I've read from author Georgia Rose, which falls in the category of suspense and romance.

Readers follow the life of Emma, who's had a dramatic life with very few moments of happiness taken away from her quickly. Her life made her an independent woman trusting no one and searching for solitude. However, when she applied to a new job in a Manor in rural England to take care of horses, she found a lot more than just a job. Thanks to her new life, she was able to finally over
Meggy
Aug 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Romance is not my cup of tea. Maybe it’s because I’m too busy to think of nice and strong arms to embrace me, or because I prefer to chase monsters down the streets. I’ve never been interested in horses, either. But at times, it’s nice to dip your toe into a new pool and see what happens! And sometimes, you have a good and uncomplicated time with a story you thought weren’t for you but turns out to be able to release the pressure in your body.

I read A Single Step in two days, taking the time to

Carrie Lahain
I was of two minds about this book. It's worth five stars. No doubt about it. The main character and her world are expertly evoked. The emotion brought me to tears at least THREE times.

And, yet, I had some issues with the execution.

The genre is hard to pin down. It's all well and good to say, "just go with the story." That's not how brains work. It's normal, as one reads, to make rapid-fire comparisons to everything else we've ever read. Part of us is with the story, another part is using cues
Geoffrey West
Apr 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book draws you in and hooks you tight. It isn’t the sort of novel I usually read, but I’m very glad I did. It’s a mystery and a romance that’s seamlessly literary and carries you along as the captivating plot unfolds. It’s a first person narrative, my personal favourite, and the heroine, Emma Grayson is a complex person. The story starts with her having an interview for a new job, a way of making a totally fresh start after a long period of personal troubles. The new situation she finds her ...more
Coco.V
Oct 16, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
FREE on Amazon today (10/16/2017)!
EatSleepReadReview
Book received in exchange for an honest review.

Emma Grayson has suffered far more than any woman should have to and I immediately liked and sympathized with the character. In actual fact, the author does such a good job of forging a connection with the character and the reader that I found myself in emotional turmoil at times. Emma is sweet woman, however due to her past, she is untrusting – and understandably so. Therefore, at times she comes across a bit short.

To get to the crux of it, Emma ta
emmabbooks
Jun 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Romance and Mystery

Emma Grayson finds a job advert mysteriously left in her letterbox, and after an interview is offered what seems to be the perfect job of looking after the stables of a manor house. However very soon the reader (and Emma) is wondering why the Estate Manager is so against her, and gradually begins to wonder if everything is quite as it appears.

The first page throws the reader straight into the intrigue, and the story builds up gently and steadily, until mid-way through the
Paul White
Jan 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have just finished reading A Single Step, by Georgia Rose, an unusual choice of book for me as I am not inclined to read romantic novels, (I think that is a man thing)!

I was however intrigued from the start, Georgia has a wonderful way of slowly and gently pulling you into the story so that you have to keep reading, you have to know ‘what happens next’.

Georgia has filled the book full of detail, maybe overly concise in a few instances, but then that may just be my view as this is, as I have sa
Rosie Amber
Feb 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Single Step is a romantic suspense and book 1 of The Grayson trilogy. Emma Grayson is getting her life slowly back together after the tragic death of her child. She applies for a new job as a stable manager at Melton Manor for Lord Cavendish in a positive move forward with her life.

Everyone is very helpful and the job and the facilities are very generous, all except the Estate Manager Trent who is cold and domineering. Emma wasn't his first choice of person for the job and he makes her feel li
Judith Barrow
May 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
A Single Step isn't the genre of book I usually buy but it was well written and a good easy holiday read; a romance and thriller/mystery combined that is soon engrossing. Told in the first person point of view, the characters are strongly portrayed, especially the protagonist, and the dialogue is equally strong. A special mention to the end and start hooks in most of the chapters; they ran effortlessly and kept me reading. However, the first chapter was slow and, at one point in the middle of th ...more
Marilyn
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good

This book is one that brings people together after losses of family and the jobs and realization ships that these people
Ophelia
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was hesitant to read this book as it is written in the first person, however, I am so glad I did. A must read. The story is sad, and funny and keeps you guessing. You can’t help but have empathy for the characters involved. It sets the stage for a number of stories to unfold around the main one. I was moved to tears and felt the heartbreak and strong emotions running through the book as keenly as if I was part of the story rather than a reader. Highly emotional with a touch of mystery and grea ...more
Patrice Einsel
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, it was hard for me to get into at first because I'm use to reading books that start with a lot of action. After a while the story really draws you in and really makes you feel and wonder and empathize with the characters. Can't wait to read the next book.
Ruth
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a surprise. Even after reading the synopsis and knowing what to expect from the plot, I didn't anticipate that I’d be immediately absorbed in Emma and Trent’s lives. Written in a descriptive and highly entertaining way, and without the unnecessary embellishments that so many authors mistakenly think will improve their writing.
Although book 1, this is a full length standalone novel with no cliffhanger. A real page turner.
thevintagechronicles
dnf
too detailed. too long winded. too slow. too sad. it reads too much like a journal-from someone rather boring. I like horses. I like romance. this, I think is more fiction/chick lit. I was halfway thru- but still no romance. just not for me, as I expected romance. sadly a pass.
Rebecca
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 star

Good deep characters, plenty of tension. Oddly something felt familiar when I got near the end. No clue why. I don't know if it's possible this is a rerelease and I've read it before or what. But I didn't mind anyway.
Barb Taub
Sep 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Oh, no,” I thought when I saw the quote from Jane Eyre at the beginning of A Single Step, Georgia Rose’s first book of The Grayson Trilogy. Despite (or perhaps because of?) my appreciation for all things Austen, that particular Brontë oeuvre has always been my least favorite. I braced myself for yet another gothic— orphaned young heroine, gloomy mansion complete with turrets, sinister servants, family members who’ve met with untimely deaths, mysteriously significant piece of jewelry, foreboding ...more
Angel Fults
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Read!

This book started out with a shocker and continued with one after another! It was a wonderfully written read! I love all the people in this book, the author has put a lot of thought into them because I felt like I was there with them and know each one personally! So thank you for this amazing book! I'm on to the next book in the series, can't wait!
Lillian Cummings
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Can you ever get past the guilt? Grayson has just landed the perfect job, she gets to work with horses and even tow young children. Can she ever come to peace with her daughter's death, she is hoping that this will help for a while but all her peace is shattered when she meets Trent. He dislikes her from the moment they meet and she has no ide why but she won't back down ever again. Trent can't allow her to get under his skin no woman will ever do that again. But the more they fight their attrac ...more
Jo
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
A Single Step is a beautiful gothic, romantic read that is rich with suspense and I absolutely adored it. It was an addictive and joyous read.

At the heart of this novel we have Emma Grayson. She is a strong, independent woman who has carefully tried to bury her wounds and who wants to live a solitary life. She has suffered great pain in her life, and when she is offered the chance to work at the impressive Melton Estate in managing the stables, she jumps at the chance. She envisages a life of s
Whispering Stories
‘A Single Step’ is the début novel from British author Georgia Rose. The first chapter is a scene-setter with the second being an absolute tear-jerker of a backstory which had me reaching for tissues.

The author has created a well-rounded three dimensional protagonist in Emma Grayson who has had a challenging life. Emma’s strength of character and determination are immediately apparent despite the misfortunes of her past.

The cover design is striking and thought-provoking, with the fallen crimson
Kirsten Nairn
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I stayed up half the night to finish this! I think that says it all. A fantastic story with elements of Jane Eyre. I really like the way Georgia Rose (or perhaps it's just Rose!) takes her time with the story, slowly building up the plot and characters, not only allowing the reader to really get to know and love them, but desperate for things to work out for them. Whether it does or not, I won't say. You'll have to read it for yourself! Thankfully there is a next instalment.
Stuart Keane
Apr 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Romance novels have taken a bashing over the years. We all know about the popular books that give the genre a bad name (BDSM and sparkling vampires, check) but now and then, there's a book that redeems the genre and puts it on the map for the right reasons. Don't get me wrong, this isn't my preferred genre and I'm a little out of my depth when reviewing it, and no, I haven't read Twilight or Fifty Shades, but regardless of this, I know a good story when I read one.

This story is good, damn good.
Billy Buttons
Nov 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was entered in The Wishing Shelf Book Awards and was a RED RIBBON WINNER! This is what our readers thought:

Title: A Single Step
Author: Georgia Rose
Star Rating: 4 stars
Number of Readers: 17

(Note: This feedback is for the 1st ed)

Readers’ Comments
‘A very enjoyable read. Pacing is a problem in parts, particularly the opening chapter, but mostly it is a well written mystery/romance. The central character is interesting and the love-interest sufficiently charismatic. The mystery element is
E.L. Lindley
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A Single Step is a slow burner, in the very best sense of the word, as we follow Emma Grayson’s reluctant return to life after the devastating loss of her beloved daughter and the ensuing break up of her marriage. The first step back to the land of the living comes for Emma when she takes a job as stable manager on a large mysterious country estate. It’s through the friendships she makes here that she is able to reconnect with the world.

For me, A Single Step operates on two levels. Primarily it
Elizabeth Lloyd
Jul 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
“A Single Step” begins with the ideal setting for a romance. Emma Grayson is starting a new life at Melton Manor, a large well organised estate, where she will manage the stables and groom the family horses.

She soon meets the large friendly estate staff and despite her reticence to become involved she makes several friends. The only drawback is Trent, the stern Estate Manager, who appears, to the independent Emma, to be controlling and overbearing.

We gradually learn about Emma’s tragic past and
Claire
Apr 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: author-publisher
Review: A Single Step (Grayson Trilogy #1) by Georgia Rose I'd like to sincerely thank author Georgia Rose for the free download of this novel via goodreads. I must admit I didn't read the synopsis prior to download as I do like a surprise read every now and then. The front cover image of this novel didn't really give any clues as to the story within, such a simple yet effective image that, to me, conjured up countless possibilities.

This novel was so easy to read, with each chapter flowing seaml
Kerry Burnett
May 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
I found this book through reviews on Twitter and am happy I did.

I am a sucker for romance and mystery and I loved this book as it had both in equal measures. The characters and plot are believable and original. I felt myself warming to the main characters as their turbulent and complex (and often tear-jerking) back stories were explained. Unexpected romance unfolds throughout the story and the mystery and twists at every turn means this is certainly not a predicable, mushy, boy-meets-girl love
Kristen
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This was a steady, good book. It's one of those books that are very steady to the end, very solid. One of the things I loved about this book is that it's written in the location of England or something. I found it neat learning their own lingo and slang.

As for the characters, the main character has such a painful past. I enjoyed it when I watched her grow and be tough even to those who try to steamroll over her. She knows her place. But I was also glad that she was in a place where people wanted
« previous 1 3 next »
99 cent Bestsellers: A Single Step 99 cents today only 1 8 Sep 16, 2014 06:49AM

• Forgotten (Araneya Mystery Series Book 1)
  • Dear Rosie Hughes
  • Game of Fear
  • Dead and Gone to Bell (A Samantha Bell Mystery Thriller, #1)
  • Some Call It Love
  • What Happens in New York: Two friends. One life-changing vacation.
  • Bakeries and Bones (Westford Bay B&B #0)
  • A Tangled Summer
  • In Search of a Love Story (Love Story, #1)
  • Cupid's Bow: The First Generation Collection
  • Falling for You (Sapphire Bay, #1)
  • Finding Home
  • The Snowdonia Killings
  • Swept Away (The Larkford Series #1.5)
  • The Last Line Box Set (The Last Line Conspiracy, #1-2)
  • Spider's Truth (Detective Trann, #1)
  • Escaping Fate (The Rescue, #1)
  • Played to Death (Scott Drayco Mystery Series, #1)
Georgia Rose is a writer and the author of the romantic and suspenseful Grayson Trilogy books: A Single Step, Before the Dawn and Thicker than Water. A short story, The Joker, based on a favourite character from the series followed and is free to download from Amazon.

Her fourth novel, Parallel Lies, a standalone, encompasses crime along with Georgia’s usual blending of genre.

The Grayson Trilogy (3 books)
  • Before the Dawn (The Grayson Trilogy #2)
  • Thicker Than Water (The Grayson Trilogy #3)