Start by marking “Fierce Family” as Want to Read:
Fierce Family

Fierce Family

Strong, united families are rarely portrayed in speculative fiction. They’re often dysfunctional, combative, self-destructive, or miserable, when they’re portrayed at all. This is especially true for non-nuclear and adoptive families, single parent families and families with no children, which are easy targets for invalidation.

And QUILTBAG families are almost never portray
Published January 17th 2014 by Crossed Genres Publication (first published January 16th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Fierce Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fierce Family

Shira Glassman
Dec 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Mangoverse fans, anyone who likes queer SFF, ppl looking for queer parents in fiction
The fact that I'm not constantly bombarded by enthusiastic recommendations for this book, when it has so much in common with my novels in celebrating the strong bonds of queer families in a SFF setting, just proves the truth of what I've been saying lately about the fragmentation of the indie publishing world -- even within queer SFF! Because damn, Fierce Family is gorgeous. This book is a TREAT. If you like my books specifically because of the "queer family fluff" aspect, you should go and pick ...more
Anthony
FIERCE FAMILY more than lives up to the back-cover advertising. Most of these stories are exhilarating, and most of them do present families standing strong in the face of external threats rather than internal tensions. One of two of the stories (in particular I'm thinking of Sarah Pinkser's "Monsters, Beneath the Bed and Otherwise" and Jay Wilburn's "Bachelor") have a bit more intra-family tension than the others, but for the most part the anthology delivers on its promised theme.

None of the f
ambyr
Credit where credit is due: this anthology does exactly what it says on the tin. Every story incorporates a close-knit LGBT family, and all except one involve speculative fiction elements.

Unfortunately, while I enjoyed the theme, the writing in a number of the stories felt amateurish. Perhaps a better editor would have helped.

Highlights for me:

Effie Seiberg's "Dinkley's Ice Cream," which was more litfic than specfic but had good atmosphere and turn of phrase.

Layla Lawlor's "Stormrider," which in
B.R. Sanders
Jan 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: i-wrote-a-book
Fierce Family is anthology compiled and published by Crossed Genres. The fifteen stories collected here are thematically joined by a focus on queer families as represented in speculative fiction. As someone living and growing a queer family who deeply loves speculative fiction, there was a good chance that I would like at least some of the stories here. That said, I’m also notoriously picky when it comes to short fiction anthologies, and especially multi-author short fiction anthologies. I am th ...more
Michael
Mar 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm not a big short stories but I found this book to be really interesting. The series of stories are all about families of various kinds shapes sizes backgrounds etc. and each author brings the families to life in just a few pages. The really enjoyable aspect is that the genre for each story is not the same. There's sci-fi fantasy urban fiction and many other types of the genres in this book.

Everyone can find some story that they will like.
Amy Mills
Jun 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Bit of a mixed bag. The first two stories were probably the strongest. After that, they were mostly fairly meh. I didn't dislike them, but there weren't any real standouts. Also, there were a few that could have used more editing.

Sarah Worrel
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good. There are a few places in several stories where I got a bit lost. Some stories are definitely worth a re-read.
Sinistmer
Jan 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbt, science-fiction
Some of the stories stand out, but wasn't as satisfied with the collection as a whole as I thought I would be.
Havelock
Apr 22, 2014
Lynn O'Connacht
Jan 16, 2015
Mina MacLeod
Jan 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Josh
May 31, 2014
Juliana
Jun 08, 2014
Charlotte Ashley
Jan 17, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
N.E. White
Jan 18, 2014
A.J. Fitzwater
Jan 18, 2014
Andi C Buchanan
Jan 18, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Shay
Jan 19, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Jan 21, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Ysabet
Apr 17, 2014
Tara
May 03, 2014
Effie
Jun 04, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Tobyleaf