Start by marking “The Stag Lord (Bannerman Boru, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Stag Lord (Bannerman Boru, #1)

The Stag Lord

(Bannerman Boru #1)

On the run across America from a vengeful shape-shifter, Bannerman “Bann” Boru has only one thing on his mind: keeping himself and his young son, Cor, alive.

At any cost.

Until he meets Shay Doyle, healer and member of a secret group of immortal Celtic warriors, the Tuatha De Danaan, living in modern-day Colorado. When Cor is injured, Bannerman is forced to accept her help.
Mass Market Paperback, 264 pages
Published December 2nd 2014 by Spence City (first published October 28th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Stag Lord, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stag Lord

Paula M. of Her Book Thoughts!
2593_ee36

“Fantasy would go like this—the hero overcomes the monster about beating incredible odds, he woos the girl, they fall in love, and they live happily ever after….. Real life is never that way. Real life is confusing. And messy. And painful. And too many good people get serious crap dumped on them”

I actually haven’t read anything by Darby Karchut and now I’m wondering why.  I fell in love with The Stag Lord immediately and its intense and rich writing totally hooked me. Darby is on my autho
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
Sep 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads.

When I found out that Darby Kaye (Karchut) was making the jump from Young Adult to Urban Fantasy, I was beyond fired up because I loved the father / son bond that was at the center of her GRIFFIN series, and couldn’t wait to see her work her magic on this genre. The relationship between Bann & Cor was indeed wonderful, then the author took her strong character dynamics a step further by tacking on a love interest, and strong family ties with Shay & the Doyle clan
Beverly McClure
Nov 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever known a family that loved one another so much they’d do almost anything for the others, even to the point of death? Have you ever read a book with characters that made you want to be a member of their family because you knew no matter what was happening in your life, they had your back, no matter the cost?

If you’d like to meet a family like the above, then Award Winning Author Darby Kaye’s debut novel for adults, THE STAG LORD, is exactly what you need. Ms. Kaye, who also writes M
Stacy
Nov 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
THE STAG LORD was SO long, GOOD, but SO long. Therefore if you're looking for a quick read this book is not for you.

The world building is super thorough and I really enjoyed getting to know all the characters involved. I am thinking that future books might feel a little shorter now that we have all the back story out of the way and character development started. The father-son bond between Bann and Cor was strong and I could feel the love through the pages. The slow romance between Shay and Ban
Tracy
Aug 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Decided to re-read. Still love it!! Don't know how much longer I can wait for book 2!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First off, I will admit, I was a bit nervous going in. This is not the Miss Darby we all know and love. Nope, not at all...well, wait now...yes, yes it is...just different. Me, being an adult and this, being an Adult Urban Fantasy...might I say, that I could relate on a whole new level. Darby has always been a
D.C. Farmer
Jun 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
ARC sent to me by Publisher.

Darby Kaye continues her exploration of the fighting Irish in this crisp and feisty urban fantasy. Adult fans of Finn Finnegan and Gideon's Spear will relish the added frisson of a very grown up relationship between an heir to the Celtic throne and the young healer, Shay, whose skills are constantly put to the test.

Set in the unearthly landscape of Colorado's Garden of the Gods, dotted with fantastical hoodoo stones, it's easy to believe that another race could wage w
Bobbie
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal
I have to admit, I had a bad case of judging a book by its cover when I selected this from Netgalley. It's a cliche, but it's actually often a good indicator - you can generally tell how much effort/money has been put into a book by its cover, and in my experience I've found that for the most part, if it looks cheap, it reads cheap. However. Sometimes I am proved wrong. The Stag Lord doesn't have a great cover, but what's inside is something else.

I've not come across Kaye's books before, but it
Peter A
Dec 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Clearly the author knows how to write a good story and draw a picture of a close knit family group. This was a fun read, (I finished it on two flights in a single day) although it did steal from Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid series just a little (even going so far as to take a sly jab at Oberon). I will certainly read the follow up, just to see where she takes the story.
Taz-xo
Meh. This fell a little flat for me.

I liked the characters enough, especially Shay who a very feisty heroine! Bann was quite annoying at times with his constant rules and reminders about behaviour. I actually felt really sorry for Cor.

I would have also liked to have seen more romance between the two leads.
Kaci
May 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An amazing read. Good pacing, good action. Bann is to die for.
Darby Karchut
Aug 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
New characters + new sandbox = happy author!
RoloPoloBookBlog
The Stag Lord by Darby Kaye
Book #1: Bannerman Boru Series
Source: Author
My Rating: 4/5 stars
My Review:
Welcome to the world of adult reads Darby Kaye aka the incomparable Darby Karchut! The Stag Lord is the first adult read by Kaye and is a welcome addition to the genre.
There is no slow burn with this read and almost instantly Kaye drops her characters into the middle of a crap-load of trouble. Bann and his young son Cor are on the run from danger and no matter how far or how fast they run, dang
Aisha Oaktree
Originally Reviewed on my blog The Bewitching Bibliophile

I've been in a reading slump for ages. I haven't been enjoying reading since late august, but then this book came on my radar and I jumped at the chance to review it. And boy am I glad I did. I laughed when reading this book, teared up a bit, got mad on the character's behalf, felt all the feels and even fell in love.

I totally loved reading this book, I loved Bann and his wittiness, his sharp tongue and how much he loved his son. He was
Beverly
Apr 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
OMG! I was fairly certain I would enjoy this book. I love Darby's teen series (Griffin) and her middle grade series (Finn Finnegan).Gideon from Finn Finnegan has been one of my favorite characters ever since I read the first book. What I didn't expect was for The Stag Lord to jump so quickly to the top of my favorites list.

Darby has created a rich fantasy world set right here in modern day Colorado. I'm a big fan of Celtic fantasy set in any time period. Darby has created an intense story that w
Minerva
Nov 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Rating: 4 hearts!!!
Cover: Loved it

Book was gifted to me for a honest review, thank you :)

We are introduced to Bannerman "Bann" Boru an ex Celtic warrior of the Tuatha De Danaan "Fey" on the run with his son Cor after his wife is murdered by the god shape-shifter Cernunnos.

The Stag Lord Cernunnos has a very big grudge with the Boru family and is finally out for revenge. While on the run, Cor falls, is injured and is found and helped by Shay Doyle, healer and member of the Tuatha De Danaan. But Sh
Lindsey Kay
Sep 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I started out this book really not knowing what to expect, other than that it had been highly recommended by a friend. But woah, this story! From the first scene I found myself being dragged into a world that was both disconcertingly familiar and incredibly alien, but that world is so flawlessly stitched together. The author draws on ancient myths and language to create a Fey society that is completely believable, and she crafts the story in a way that is both heart-pounding and heart-wrenching. ...more
Deb
Oct 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
I cannot say enough about this book. All of the characters are so very believable! Every second there is something going on. Whether it is Bann trying to protect his son Cor; Shay (the healer knight) who is trying to heal Cor and Bann at different times, and damn, what is happening to her heart? Could she be falling in love? Hmm. Then we have Max, Shay's dog who falls in love with Cor from the very start. Max would do anything to protect the humans he love. Shay's family are also knights. They l ...more
CJ - It's only a Paper Moon
3.8

There are some parts of this book that are a little rough but that's mainly because it is a meeting of two worlds, and sometimes its those two worlds meeting inside one man. You have the Old Ways and the modern ways and trying to reconcile the two.

While a crazy god is trying to kill you and yours.

While you are falling in love with a woman who can heal you on many levels.

Did I mention the goblins and Fir Bolgs yet?

Kaye has done her homework with Celtic Myth but I will have to say that I would'
Daria
Nov 15, 2014 rated it liked it
~~~~ Read and Reviewed for AToMR Promotions~~~~
A good read, just a YA kinda feel for me and that isn't my norm to read. That being said, a basic good vs evil story, with the hero being a single father. That part was way cool, got to love single dads! Bann didn't start off as a single dad, he had a wife but she was tragically taken from him. He was more than determined to keep his son safe at any cost.
Bann was a warrior of the Tuatha De Danaan, his tribe and him didn't see eye to eye and now he
Alexandra
Apr 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: favorites
It was the first time I read a book which had such rich descriptions. Bann and his son Corr are on the run. A crazy god is hunting them down in order to get his revenge.

Since the family is no humans were are quickly thrust into the Celtic world, whic is rich with tradition, myths and legends.

I loved the type of character Bann is: warrior, lover, father. He is stuborn, funny and tortured. His son, Corr is an adorable eight years old boy which adds a happy tone into the story.
Shay Doyle and her fa
Nancy Saltzman
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read "The Stag Lord" with great fascination because I had not read any books about Celtic warriors or shape shifters previously and had no idea what I had gotten myself into! The book was a great read full of suspense, adventure, character development, scary bad "people", a love story, a dog, and the importance of family. It was a wild ride!
Ally
Dec 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, ebook, urban-fantasy
3.5 stars!

I read so many good reviews I thought I'd use some of my Christmas money to buy this and I wasn't disappointed at all. It's a very good and interesting read and I enjoyed the different take with the Fae and seriously adored the family connections in The Stag Lord.
Really looking forward to the next one!
barb tarter
Dec 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Never A Dull Moment!

Great for all ages. Not a great classic, such as Tolkien's unique saga, but definitely a fun read! Would like a bit more complexity. Looking forward to Unholy Blue!
Pili
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended by the ladies at Rabid Reads and featuring the Tuatha De Danaan, I knew I had to read this book, and I'm so glad I did! Now I need the sequeeeel!! Bann and Shay make an awesome couple and I love the relationship between Bann and his son Cor! Very much deserved 4 stars!
Brittany
Nov 20, 2014 rated it liked it
I received this from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. It was really funny and I loved the interactions between the hero and heroine. This was a pretty enjoyable read.
Kelly Hager
Feb 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I read it and loved it and I want to read it again.
Michele at A Belle's Tales
Feb 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! *Review closer to release date*
Jennifer (bunnyreads)
I almost dropped this book at the twenty percent mark. I decided to continue on though because my issue with it was a personal pet peeve, and not something to do with characters or plotting- I really get impatient when a story that’s not in first person, instead of incorporating the person’s thoughts into the paragraph puts it in parenthesis to show they are thinking it to themselves. I don’t know what this is called but I find it pretty distracting and messes with my reading mojo.

Anyway, the
Heather
Mar 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
I was intrigued by the premise of bringing ancient Celtic mythology into present-day America, but sadly to say this is the first book in a very long time that I was not able to get through. Modern teenage dialogue coming from the mouths of centuries-old fey beings made me cringe. The nemesis of the book is a "crazy god guy" chasing after a father and son duo who have been cast out from their people and now try to have as little to do with them as possible. They run into a female fey who "rocks a ...more
Cathy
Mar 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: goodreads
I received this book by entering a Goodreads drawing.

I would give this a 3.5 star rating because the story was well written and imaginative with characters that are easy to like. This is not a book for children due to the intimate nature of Bann and Shay's relationship. I really enjoyed the Celtic influence and lore in the novel and am interested in reading the second book.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Undying Desire (The Enclave, #3)
  • Dial M for Menage
  • Crossing the Line
  • A Shot of Red
  • Christmas in the Billionaire's Bed (Kavanaghs of Silver Glen, #3)
  • Gambling with the Crown (Heirs to the Throne of Kyr #1)
  • Cowboy Behind the Badge (Sweetwater Ranch, #2)
  • What the Greek's Money Can't Buy (The Untamable Greeks, #1)
  • Finn's Choice  (The Adventures of Finn MacCullen, #4)
  • Hooked: When Addiction Hits Home
  • Salvation (Nashville Nights, #2)
  • The Witch's Salvation
  • Claiming Her Warriors (Lumineta, #2)
  • Perfect Storm (His to Possess, #3)
  • Seeing Black (Seeing Red, #2)
  • Darkness Eternal (Guardians of Eternity, #7.6)
  • Blackout (Lost Girls #1)
  • Legend of Love (Muse Chronicles, #2)

Bannerman Boru (2 books)
  • Unholy Blue (Bannerman Boru, #2)