Start by marking “Cursed by Fire (Blood & Magic, #1)” as Want to Read:
Cursed by Fire (Blood & Magic, #1)

Cursed by Fire

(Blood & Magic #1)

Blood is going to spill...

I just hope it won’t be mine.

After two weeks of searching, I found the seven-year-old I'd been hired to find too late. His body broken and discarded. Dead.

My boss doesn't want me to hunt down his killers. It's too dangerous.

But the Pacific Northwest Pack steps in, hiring me to bring the bastards to justice.

Turns out the kid was half shifter. And s
Published January 28th 2015 by Amazon (first published January 24th 2015)

Lila
Feb 05, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: no

Ok, no.

I will never understand how people think they can get away with such a blatant copying of elements from massively popular series like Kate Daniels or Psy/Changeling.

Just no.

I'll name few similarities:

1) Shifters in this book are infected by virus called Lyc-V (yup, same name) that changes their "chemical makeup" completely and gives them accelerated healing and regenerative abilities.

2)Shifters are Pack and Pack in this book has the same Clan organization as Pack in KD series:
There is a
Navessa
Feb 10, 2015 marked it as stahp
Why would I read a book that's basically a bastardization of two series I've already read and enjoyed?
Shannon
Feb 12, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: will-never-read
Taking a wild guess that this is the book that made Ilona have to copyright some of her terms from Kate Daniels. This review should help you decide if it copies Kate Daniels (and Nalini Singh's Psy/Changeling series). There's also a character named Declan, (On the Edge, anyone?) as well as similarities to Singh's other series, which Angela has brought to light in her updates.
MrsJoseph *grouchy*
Everyone who knows me knows I am an Ilona Andrews Fangurl.

I ride hard for the Andrews Duo.

This shit right here? *rolls eyes*

Kate Daniels does NOT need to be revamped, redone or republished.

I mean. WTF??! Even the fucking author website for this chick reminds me of Ilona Andrews' author website.

Hoping this shit gets pulled for plagerism soon.
Melanie
Jan 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015, ry-2015
5*s
Review posted here...

Cursed by Fire is an awesome introduction to the Blood & Magic series…..
A few years ago there was the ‘Awakening’ in which supernatural beings came out of the closet, Humans are no longer the top of the food chain. Everything about the world has changed including who holds the power and how they are governed; Vampires and Shifters are rivals for that power and always seem to be teetering on the edge of war with Humans stuck righ
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
So, yeah . . . I tried. I tried really, really hard to read this. At least half a dozen times, and I just couldn't do it.

If it had been a good imitation of Kate Daniels, maybe I'd've fared better, but it wasn't. It was a bad, bad, baaaaad imitation of Kate Daniels.

I did flip through it enough to verify that, yes, I definitely view this whole sad enterprise as a theft of ideas.

Is it plagiarism? No. There was no cutting and pasting of text and trying to pass it off as original material.

BUT.

Any K
Readsalot81
Feb 03, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dreadful
Nope. Nope. Nope. There are a lot of similarities to Kate Daniels and the writing is weak and amateurish at best.
Laura the Highland Hussy
I have no words. I really wanted to like this book. It's supposed to be like the Kate Daniels series...shifters, bad ass merc heroine, all of the above. Well, it is like Kate Daniels. Exactly like Kate Daniels. This is very obviously a rip-off of Ilona Andrews' Kate Daniels series and Nalini Singh's Psy/Changeling series, with a bit of the Edge thrown in. Does anyone know if this was P2P fan fic? Because if so, it should have been edited way more to remove all the similarities.

I'll post a full r
Mara
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: urban-fantasy
These are the moments when I almost understand why STGRB movement took hold. Almost.
So many of the readers out there left scalding reviews for a book they never read. Yes, Danielle Annett used many ideas, and a few words (Lyc-V, Friend of the pack status) from Ilona Andrews. It's not the first time it happened (I'm thinking of the waste of paper that are the breed copies from an erotica writer, but she's not the only one). I doubt it's the last. And, no, it really had nothing in common with the
Steph
Feb 12, 2015 marked it as nope-no-never
Plagiarism sucks. It's disheartening when specific elements of an author's imagination must be copyrighted to protect against plagiarists with no imagination of their own.

(Other reviewers have noted the glaring similarities: Angela's updates & Lege's review)
Cocktails and Books
Jan 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was unbelievable! The action, the politics, the suspense, the subterfuge; I was completely enthralled. Aria is Psyker—a human born with psychokinetic powers. Aria’s power is pyrokinesis. Her father was also a Psyker and tried to teach her to harness and control her abilities before he was murdered before Aria’s eyes. One of the last things her father said to her was to stay away from other Psykers. Aria doesn’t know the reason but she hides her abilities and quickly moves away when she ...more
JadeShea
Cursed by Fire begins when Ari finds a little boy murdered. All evidence points to Vampires, but nothing is exactly what it seems. When a stranger comes to town and starts following her, things begin to get a little crazy for Ari. She must find out who is hurting the shifters before a war starts, or it all may be too late for everyone.

The book starts out pretty good. It does remind me a whole lot of the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews. But in a way, that was kind of cool. I really liked th
☕️Kimberly
Feb 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Caffeinated Breakdown of Cursed by Fire

The world: In the Blood & Magic world vampires and shifters, along with other supernatural creatures revealed themselves to humans in what is referred to as the Awakening. The world itself is similar to ours and parties are vying for control. Aside from pharmaceutical companies, it looks like the world is still functioning normally much like the world of Mercy Thompson. The vampires have taken up residence in town and the shifters have a compound in the
Allison
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
With the Awakening now years upon earth, no longer do those most feared stay hidden in the shadows.
After a young boy goes missing, and later turning up dead, Aria is determined to find the killer and bring them to justice.
With the Alpha pack offering support, she and her friend James set out on a missing to uncover secrets of the world around them in an effort to solve the murder.
Will they be able to find the killer or will Aria find herself at the killer's mercy?

This was a good read. I enjo
Heather andrews
Jan 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Not much for romance in this book, and honestly I didn't mind because we got to go on an adventure. Aria I loved that girl she was fierce, and dominant and was a kicka** woman. I mainly focused on her instead of the other characters that were all around her, I can't wait to see more of her and see her grow even more just as her journey grows.
Coyora Dokusho
Mmmm'kay I'm going to read this entire thing just to pick up the EGREGIOUSNESS!!

A lot of the time, I love fanfics, this is not fanfic, this is PURE REPREHENSIBLE LAZINESS.

In my honest opinion:

1) Heroine's self-evaluation eerily similar to Kate Daniels'

2) Divisions of Pack ridiculously similar to Kate Daniels series - Clan Big(Heavy, sp?)

3) Declan, ftw?

4) "James" = Jim, ftwX2

5) picking up shades of early Anita Blake from office dynamics

6) this is (GASP!!) not copying, but seriously, the cherry on
Jody
Feb 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
As the first book in a new paranormal series the groundwork is laid for what promises to be an action-packed, fast-paced series of books with a world on the verge of war propelled by lots of secrets and a strong-willed heroine. Though the themes are nothing new first-time author Ms. Annett breathes some life into it with her compelling and spunky heroine. By the end of the book, with its big revelation, readers will definitely want more.

Six years after paranormal creatures came out in "The Awake
Stacy
Jan 14, 2015 added it
Shelves: netgalley
I want to start out my review by talking about other reviews saying that CURSED BY FIRE is basically a rip-off of the Kate Daniel Series and Psy/Changeling Series. I have not read the Psy/Changeling series so I can not say if this book is similar in any way, but I have read the Kate Daniels series. Although I won't go into every single detail that are alike (because others have already done that), I have to agree that there are quite a few things in CURSED BY FIRE that have the same feel as the ...more
Moon Love
Jan 30, 2015 rated it really liked it

When I started reading, I thought I was reading the second book in a series because of the familiarity of the characters with one another. However as the story continued, I realized this was the first book in the series. The concept behind this book is not new, with a human trying to save the races from tearing each other's throats out, but Danielle Annett manages to add a fresh spin to it.

This first installment isn't very long, but there's a lot that happens. There's mystery and action, hints o
Veronica
Mar 06, 2015 rated it did not like it
RIP OFF OF ILONA ANDREWS

I can't believe this book even got published. It's basically a complete rip off of Ilona Andrews and Nalini Singh. Nothing original and the author should be ashamed.
Marta Cox
Jun 05, 2018 rated it liked it
I do enjoy urban fantasy and spotted this as a freebie so after reading the synopsis happily downloaded it. We are introduced to Aria who is an investigator trying to find out why a young boy was murdered. The shock of it all is the fact that neither of his parents seem interested but things take a strange turn when Aria finds out that his birth father is a shifter. This is all set in a future with shifters, vampires and other supernaturals trying to stake their claims on the world . Aria is ess ...more
Book Reading Gals
Feb 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal
Thoughts: This story was set it an alternate world where humans are no longer the 'superior race'. It's been six years since The Awakening when shifters, vampires, fae and other creatures of the night decided to come out of hiding. The world as the humans had known it has changed. The heroine of this story is Aria and is a pysker with her primary ability being pyrokinesis. She works for a firm as a mercenary hired to find a kidnapped boy who she later finds with his throat slashed and his body m ...more
Jessica (a GREAT read)
Feb 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review, I was in no way compensated for this review.

Danielle Annett brings forth a fascinating new Urban Fantasy read that really keeps you on your toes! Cursed by Fire is an amazing new story with a heroine who you could easily relate to. There was so much mystery and secrets in this one that I am still left reeling!

The world here is different from our own, but still a familiar setting. Paranormals are out in the open, Shifters, Vam
Deborah
Feb 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I’ll start with a warning – this book ends on a cliffhanger – not a ‘heroine is about to die’ style cliffhanger, but this volume offers no resolutions to any of the plot strands.
Before I purchase a book, I make a point of checking the reviews for this information, because I find this type of ‘ending’ seriously annoying. Unfortunately, when I signed up for this review tour there were none available.
So if, like me, you don’t do cliffhangers, then pass. If you don’t mind them, and you’re an urban f
Judy
I have admitted before that I am a sucker for a good cover. Add that to an interesting blurb in one of my favorite genres and I am all over a book. It wasn't until I started putting together this post that I realized the book was self-published. That's right, totally didn't catch it. The editing was that tight. I was in for a bigger shock when I saw on Amazon that the author was none other than a blogger that I follow for their weekly discussion: Coffee Shop Talk.

The story is set in an alternat
Nancy (The Avid Reader)
A seven year old little boy has been kidnapped and Aria Naveed is determined to find him before it is too late. While trying to find the little boy Aria finds that there is more behind the kidnapping of a little boy than meets the eye. The more she digs into the case she finds a whole lot of secrets that someone doesn’t want to be brought out into the opening and is trying to kill Aria to keep it hidden.
When the little boy turns up dead finding out who could do this to a little boy becomes more
Ren Puspita
Feb 24, 2015 marked it as no-chance-for-you
Based on Lege review and Angela status, so this one is a BIG RIP OFF from my 2 favorite ever and ever series, Kate Daniels and Psy-Changeling (also Guild Hunter as well)

NO. JUST NO!

Also you may want to check Ilona Andrews's Twitter timeline in Feb, 5th when she plan to copyrighted some term in Kate Daniels world, include "Lyc-V". She also talk about fan-fic. I will not surprised if what she mean is this book.

The series name? Meh, again, too Kate Daniels and Guild Hunter

A BIG PASS.
Dawn Collins
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was in love with this book. Right from the start. It was action packed, heartbreaking, and humorous. I was sucked in to Arie's world from page one. With your adventure in solving a murder of a 7 year old boy, you get to know her family that she has allowed in after 6 years of missing her biological family. There are many twists and turns in this adventure with Shifters and Vampires and other paranormal creatures along with humans. My only wish is that it was a little longer but I am excited fo ...more
Tigris Eden
Jun 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book and read it while on my way to visit family in California. It had me from the first page of the book. The characters were vivid and I was drawn into the world that Ms. Annett created. I will be the first to admit I don't like 1st POV but this was done so well, that I didn't once complain. I will def be picking up the next book in the series, I'm curious to how things will pan out, and looking forward to what I think can be a possible romance!

I felt the book was original and h
Jana Teslow
Sep 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was expecting to like the book, but I loved it. Well written, easy to read. In the first few chapters, the "movie" began to play in my head. I don't want to give anything away here, so I will just say that Aria has quickly won me over. There is action, mystery and the slight inkling of possible romance ( which I'm kind of hoping for in future books) worth reading for sure!

• Broken Blade (Colbana Files, #3)
  • Wolf Dream (Wolf, #2)
  • Blood Warrior (The Arcadia Falls Chronicles #4)
  • Obsession (Parish Secrets, #2)
  • Strange Trouble (Rune Alexander #3)
  • Electric Moon (Raven Investigations, #2)
  • Of Scions and Men
  • Semi-Human (Harper Hall Investigations, #2)
  • Chaos Born (Chronicles from the Applecross #1)
  • Finding Our Way
  • One Wilde Night (Immortal Vegas, #0.5)
  • Stop (Cold Mark Saga #3)
  • The Lebrus Stone
  • The Endangered (Endangered, #1)
  • Wardbreaker (The Lillim Callina Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Ascension (Gryphon #4)
  • Something to Curse About (Discord Jones #2)
  • Winter Wolf (Witch & Wolf, #1)
Danielle Annett is a USA Today Bestselling Author, Designer, Photographer, Mommy, Wife, and everything in between.

You can learn more about Danielle on her website at www.Danielle-Annett.com or follow her on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/AuthorDaniel... and on twitter @Danielle_Annett

Sign up and get notified when Danielle has a new release: subscribepage.com/y7i0o9

THE BLOOD AND MAGIC SERIES

Blood & Magic (6 books)
  • Kissed by Fire (Blood & Magic, #2)
  • Burned by Fire (Blood & Magic, #3)
  • Branded by Fire (Blood & Magic, #4)
  • Consumed by Fire (Blood and Magic, #5)
  • Forged by Fire (Blood & Magic, #6)
“Do you need to talk about your feelings now?” I asked. “You’re a real piece of work, you know that?” “Sure do. It’s a wonder you’ve put up with me as long as you have.” 1 likes
“the most dangerous drinking game you could play with me was seeing how long I could go without having a cup. I drank coffee like a Gilmore Girl and trust me when I tell you, no one wanted to see how long I could go without.” 0 likes