Start by marking “A Room Full of Chocolate” as Want to Read:
A Room Full of Chocolate

A Room Full of Chocolate

A Goodnight Mister Tom for today - this is the book that will make you laugh and cry ...

Grace's fun loving Mum has found a lump. Her north London world of sleepovers, tap dancing and playing the clarinet fall apart when she is sent to live with her grumpy old granddad on his farm in Yorkshire while her mother goes into hospital to get better.

Grace misses her mother so much
Published February 6th 2014 by Hodder Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about A Room Full of Chocolate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Room Full of Chocolate

Start your review of A Room Full of Chocolate
Cora Tea Party Princess
AUDIOBOOK

5 Words: Family, past, cancer, bullies, school.

Oooh this book made me a little angry. I hate bullies. Can't stand them. Think they should all die a horrible, painful death.

But I did like how this book dealt with the subject and how the bullies were punished.

Overall this was pretty good. I loved the escapades with a piglet, I was almost howling with laughter even when I knew that things were about to plummet.
Beth (bibliobeth)
Mar 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My sister and fellow blogger Chrissi Reads read this book recently and devoured it in a matter of hours so when she recommended it to me I knew I had to read it immediately. I’m so glad I did, this is a beautiful and touching story of a young girl called Grace who is sent to stay with her Grandad on his farm in Yorkshire when her mum finds a lump in her breast and has to undergo treatment for cancer. This doesn’t really appeal to Grace as a) she wants to stay with her mother and is worried about ...more
Robin Stevens
May 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A sweet, touching story about friendship, love and learning to cope with the very real, very terrible things that life can throw at you. If nothing else, it should remind adults about the intelligence and resilience that all children possess - underestimate them and you do them and yourself a real disservice. A lovely and hopeful book that deals with a very important subject.
Luna
Feb 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book purely because so many bloggers were talking about it, never read the blurb. Just took it home sat down and began to read.

Grace is sent to live with her “grumpy” grandfather after her mother finds a lump and begins treatment at the hospital. Grace doesn’t want to go and in the infuriating way of grown-ups doesn’t get told the whole story because they are protecting her.

Not only did I love Jane Elson’s writing and character – I loved the story. There of moments that make you la
Pixi Jo
You know, if I were Grace I'd be pretty annoyed too!
Mum's got a lump, you're shipped off to your grandad you've never met but who's not so affectionately known of as, "The old goat", oh and dad buggers of because you know what, too much DRAH-MA!!
Yeah I'd be moody too.
But then she meets the rainbow girl and things kinda do a massive swing about to the fantastic!
She now has Megan and her family and a cute pot bellied pig named Claude to help her through these tough times.
And they do get tough!
Beca
Big Book Little Book
Mar 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Caroline for www.bigbooklittlebook.com
Copy received in exchange for an honest review.

I started reading A Room Full Of Chocolate with the expectation that I was going to love it. The synopsis had caught my attention the first time I come across it, while the extremely positive reviews of bloggers I respect had me moving it swiftly to the top of my TBR. While there was so much that I loved about this debut middle grade novel my biggest issue was that I was unable to disengage my adult, or more cor
Lindsay
May 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
'I've realised that sometimes family isn't the one you are born into but the people and pigs you collect along the way.'

Ten-year-old Grace Wilson lives with her mum and dad in London, but after her mum discovers a lump, and her dad proves to be unreliable and uncaring, she is sent to live with her Grandad on his farm in Yorkshire. Grace’s mum and Grandad have been estranged for many years; Grace has never even met him before. She is desperate to stay at home and look after her mum after her surg
Katy Noyes
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This lovely children's story stand on its own merits without comparison to Goodnight Mister Tom. I'd even venture to say the comparison does it a disservice - yes, a child is sent away from her mother to live with a crotchety old man in the countryside. Yes, she's initially unhappy there and yes, eventually she both warms up to her new home and (mini-spoiler but not really) warms the heart of her grandfather.

For me this wasn't at all central to the story. The real heart of this book is Grace and
Debbie
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Also published on my blog at http://snugglingonthesofa.com/book-re...

I dont read a lot of Middle Grade or Children’s fiction. However, when my friend Cait told me about A Room Full of Chocolate, I knew I had to have it. We follow the story of Grace, who gets sent to her grandad’s when her mum finds a lump. However, this isn’t just another cancer story- it is so much more. A story of friendship, growing up, love and laughter.

Right from the beginning the story tugged on my heartstrings. Grace is
Stephen Connor
When Grace’s mum finds a lump, she sends her 10-year-old daughter away to live temporarily with her grandad. This means starting a new school in a new town with a new way of living - and Grace finds it hard. She is bullied, gets into trouble at school and develops a friendship with Megan, a girl from a family her grandad doesn’t trust. The story of how Grace deals with her new surroundings and her difficulty accepting Mum’s illness is engaging throughout.

There are some dark moments here, and it
Camilla Chester
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was such a sweet story. I love the friendship between the two girls best of all. I love a story that ties up nice and neatly and I like the link between the mothers and the daughters.

My 11-year-old daughter cried and cried when she read this book. She said it was one of her all-time favourites and as soon as she finished it she read it again!
Avril Welch
Apr 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I think this book for young adults is brilliant - it is sensitive and is full of emotion. The difficult subject matter of cancer and a young child is well handled and if anyone is going through difficulty with not knowing how to help their child get through a cancer diagnosis with a parent - this is a great story to help.
Isabella S
I really like this book because it has a nice friendship in it a has adventure and sacredness in it
Ava
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
loved this book
Lola
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book. The characters are so wonderful and the relationship between Grace and Megan is overjoying. Definitely recommend, I finished in about 3 hours.😁
Eve beinguniquebooks
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When ten year old Grace gets sent to stay with her granddad after her parents split and her mum fights cancer. Though Grace always tries to block out any thought that she has surrounding cancer As she tries to put it to the back of her mind.

As she stays with her granddad though, she discovers her mum's old childhood best friend Allie along with her daughter, Megan still live by them in the same house after her granddad sent his daughter away to school so As to split Allie and Grace's mum Chloe u
Natalie
I think this book is really good because it teaches the importance of family, This book is a very touching story about friendship and family. In the book the main character Grace has to move away because her mom can no longer take care of her and everything was moving so fast yet it was detailed. In this book it gives a lot of detail about how grace felt which I think is a pretty good factor in a book.
Nat Jane
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It is a beautiful book, I have read it multiple times and it so capturing and truly unbelievable as to how good it is.
Faye {Daydreaming_Star}
Feb 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
As soon as I was told about A Room Full of Chocolate, I knew it was a book that I really wanted to get my hands on. It sounded like a really intriguing story that I would love to read. Then, upon hearing so many others raving about this book, I got even more excited to read it until eventually I opened the book. Unfortunately, however, this book did not live up to the expectations that I had given it. Essentially I had expected to be blown away by this book but this simply was not the case. Whil ...more
Karinate
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
This story is about a girl called Grace. Grace and her mum has been living together ever since her father left them. Grace loved her mum so much that she was very shocked to find out her mum had a lump. Her mother sent Grace to live with a grandfather she's never met before. Grace hates the idea, no matter how hard she tries to convince her mum that she can take care of her, Grace's mum won't hear of it. So Grace went to her grandfather's place which was all the way in the southern side. Grace h ...more
Cubza
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Georgia
Jun 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is a very good book. It feels like your watching a movie, it's one of those books that is a can't put down book.
Its about when grace has to move away to stay for Grandad because her mum has "the lumps". But she hates it until she her neighbour called Megan they get along to together very well. And thats how Grace whole Jorney begins.
KillerFrost
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful Story. About a girl named Grace, She got sent away to her granddad who in her words is a miserable old goat, because her mum is in hospital cause she had a lump on her arm. Shes meets a girl and they become friends. Grace gets bullied at her school but her new friend Megan will help her get through those tough days what will happen to her mum?!
Emma Carroll
Mar 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A gorgeous story of heartache and hope. It deals with difficult issues in a very tender way. The cast of characters are brilliantly drawn- especially the animals! I also liked the boys on the bus, who most certainly didn't revert to stereotype. This is middle-grade fiction at its finest. ...more
Elizabeth Beverley
Mar 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic book, beautifully written.
Rachel
May 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, funny, and charming. Left me crying.
Margaret Pemberton
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it

A really heartwarming story of friendship and home. It makes me want to try anything by this author.
Emmiem
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved the book. Megan and Grace make great friends and so do their mothers!
Melissa
Aug 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
OK - may be a good girls book, but I was never into this kind of book as a kid, and am still more of a sci-fi girl myself!
Holly Rosette
Nov 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
this book is mega mega good so sad but I looovveee it

• The Long Walk
  • Journey to the River Sea
  • Awful Auntie
  • Then
  • Look Into My Eyes (Ruby Redfort, #1)
  • Take Your Last Breath (Ruby Redfort #2)
  • Atlantia
  • Saeculum
  • Cell 7 (Cell 7 Trilogy #1)
  • Flammende Zeichen (Die Fabelmacht-Chroniken, #1)
  • Morgen irgendwo am Meer
  • New Dreams (Green Valley Love #3)
  • An Inspector Calls and Other Plays
  • The Weight of Water
  • The Bone Sparrow
  • You Are Special (Wemmicksville, #1)
  • Zen: The Art of Simple Living